home

Author Topic: Unhappy Random thoughts...  (Read 537468 times)

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
Re: Unhappy Random thoughts...
« Reply #3325 on: January 05, 2013, 05:03:26 AM »
Walked into a GW at a major shopping centre this morning to pick up some black spray thanks to mine running out halfway through a unit. Pause at the table nearest the door where they've set up the Hobbit miniatures as I haven't actually seen them in person. Another guy walks in behind me and stops at the same table. Redshirt comes over and starts talking to us about the Hobbit movie and how we could split the box between us and how it's a great introduction to gaming. At this point the other guy and I have kinda raised our eyebrows in collective confusion. Redshirt then segues into a spiel about the new White Dwarf and the Golden Demon feature.

Two problems:
1. I've been collecting for nine years. Pretty sure I don't need the Hobbit to introduce me. Plus the miniatures aren't *that* great anyway. Check the crowd before launching into your speech (which, IIRC, is part of GWs customer service 'golden rules').
2. If I was in fact a newbie, you really think Golden Demon is the first thing I'm going to want to know about? Sure they look great, but I'm pretty sure that's going to intimidate someone who's never put paint to model before. Try pushing the free poster or the feature on the Dark Angels. Much better plan.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #3326 on: January 05, 2013, 05:15:38 AM »
From one tall guy to another, you can get better spray primer for 1/3rd the cost of GW primer.

And yeah, redshirts are annoying but I'm sure flogging that Hobbit crap is a required part of their job.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #3327 on: January 05, 2013, 05:27:40 AM »
From one tall guy to another, you can get better spray primer for 1/3rd the cost of GW primer.

And yeah, redshirts are annoying but I'm sure flogging that Hobbit crap is a required part of their job.

Yeah, I should probably look at alternatives...I've stuck pretty religiously to GW paints in the past though.

I wouldn't have minded him flogging the Hobbit stuff - that's part of the job. I just have a large enough ego that I dislike people talking to me as if I'm a newbie - I get the same way with work stuff. If he'd phrased more along the lines of 'Hey, here's another system you could look at collecting.' I could have ignored him without any rancour. *shrug*
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3328 on: January 05, 2013, 05:41:27 AM »
I don't know if it's the same now, but the GW guys in Sydney used to have set questions they had to ask when someone walked in the door. I remember a guy I knew doing his first shift, the manager staring at him as he chatted with me and he sighed, and launched into "so what are you working on at the moment?" followed by pointing out new releases. I think I actually witnessed the exact moment he traded his dignity and gaming soul for minimum wage lucre.

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #3329 on: January 05, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »
I don't know if it's the same now, but the GW guys in Sydney used to have set questions they had to ask when someone walked in the door. I remember a guy I knew doing his first shift, the manager staring at him as he chatted with me and he sighed, and launched into "so what are you working on at the moment?" followed by pointing out new releases. I think I actually witnessed the exact moment he traded his dignity and gaming soul for minimum wage lucre.

Don't forget the discounted models(they still do that right?). Poor guy.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3330 on: January 05, 2013, 10:09:19 AM »
The hobbit models suck ass anyway
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #3331 on: January 05, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
I'm always amazed that people buy anything from a GW store.

People that buy from GW online are even more puzzling.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #3332 on: January 05, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »

So you can lie and say that all the models in your treekin box are messed up and they send you out a new one  :::cheers:::
6 treekin for 53 bucks? That's almost with it right??
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #3333 on: January 05, 2013, 11:16:49 PM »

One factor is convenience. I needed to source spray on a Friday/Saturday so I can do a mass job today (Sunday). I can either walk into the GW store next to where I was getting my hair cut or I can ring around the independents in the city to see what they have. The independents are all at least a forty-five minute drive from where I am. Mail order isn't really an option due to the short timeframe. *shrug*

I agree, no one should do major purchases from GW though. That's why I work the secondary market so heavily.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #3334 on: January 06, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
2012 collected items..

januari - my mom in a far gone state of alzheimer got diagnosed with amonia and no antibiotics for her, we prepare for the worst.. eventually she gets over it and we all wait until the next time...
januari - father in law gets news that he has sown out lungcancer and together with his untreatable lungfybrosis it can't be treated anymore without to high risk.
july - my eldest daughter came to live with us due to some circumstances with her mother (my ex-wife), since then living with 3 kids here. Problematic going on with eachother the first month between the eldest.
july - getting a new work assignment halfway across the country (3 hours per day in the car on travel time)

then when things finally seem to go at easy

november
Father in law has more and more difficulty getting around and has ste some goals in december and start of january that he still wants to see (Sinterklaas, Xmas dinner on the first xmasday and the bday of his youngest grandchild january 2nd.
december
- 23rd - father in law get hospitalized getting harder and harder to breathe
- 24th - partner of my ex-wife suddenly dies in his sleep (stepfather to our eldest 2 daugthers of 7 and 10), took the other 2 kids in house for the day.
- 28th - While I was at work my neighbour and my partner decided to go out to the market with the kids and had a carcrash, nothing bad luckily but the car was a right off (neighbours car) but multiple doctor visits and 1 dentist visit was needed.
- 28th - father in law together with docters decides to end it with sleeping aid and then off the oxygen, he still lives for another 24 hours.
- 29th - 21.15 father in law dies.
- 30th - kids got opportunity to paint the casket of the partner of my exwife

january (as we see it a closure for a bad 2012)
- 2nd - cremation of the partner of my exwife
- 3rd - another painting of a casket by all the grandchildren
- 4th - today cremation of my father in law

Lets hope 2013 will be a better year (I already said that my mother isn't allowed to go this year and needs to wait till atleast 2014 now..)

And my mother didn't listen... Got a call from my sister this morning, she is bad with a fever and already on morphine... Though they can't prognose a time line yet they think it won't last long...
This will be a great start for 2013...
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3335 on: January 06, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you had sucha  rough 2012 steg,

I'm not sure this is much consolation bu my grandmother in law had alzheimers, and when she died I think it helped my wife a lot as they could grieve properly for her, despite the fact that her grandmother hadn't really been "her grandmother" for about 5 years.

Sending my thoughts to you and the rest of your family through these trying times.

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #3336 on: January 06, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you had sucha  rough 2012 steg,

I'm not sure this is much consolation bu my grandmother in law had alzheimers, and when she died I think it helped my wife a lot as they could grieve properly for her, despite the fact that her grandmother hadn't really been "her grandmother" for about 5 years.

Sending my thoughts to you and the rest of your family through these trying times.

Tnx Finlay, I think that will be my consolation aswell, she couldn't be my mother anymore since about 2004ish or something... it has been so long that I can't even remember exactly what year.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #3337 on: January 06, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
That is rough man.  Take care of yourself.  God bless.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #3338 on: January 06, 2013, 11:52:15 PM »
Man. My condolences to you and your family. I don't know what else to say.

+1
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #3339 on: January 07, 2013, 12:38:01 PM »

+1

A +1 from me as well. Children painting a casket? I've never heard of it before. I'm not sure if I find it sad or beautiful.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

• Members
« Reply #3340 on: January 07, 2013, 07:28:06 PM »
Thank you all for the support!

+1

A +1 from me as well. Children painting a casket? I've never heard of it before. I'm not sure if I find it sad or beautiful.

I hadn't heard from it before aswell, but both the partner of my ex and my father in law had such a casket (for cremation) of simple wood. As for the children I think it's a great opportunity to have something for their own to work with, something they know how to express themselves with. Alot better then a stuffy ceremony atleast for them.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3341 on: January 07, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »
Can't it be sad and beautiful?

Pass the machete.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3342 on: January 07, 2013, 08:22:27 PM »
Can't it be sad and beautiful?

Many things in life are.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Not-not-kenny

• Members
  • Call me: 22079460347
« Reply #3343 on: January 08, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »
Well, the regular stores have stopped selling julmust. I guess christmas is officially over.
"Nothing happens contradictory to nature, only contradictory to what we know of it."

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3344 on: January 08, 2013, 11:12:35 AM »
Well, the regular stores have stopped selling julmust. I guess christmas is officially over.

Just add maple syrup to Root Beer and drink that. Same thing.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3345 on: January 08, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »

I was gonna ask what julmust was.  If it tastes like maple syrup in root beer, I don't think I'm interested.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Not-not-kenny

• Members
« Reply #3346 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:57 PM »
Too bad Root Beer and maple syrup is kinda complicated to get a hold of in my parts. I think I'll just wait until easter.
"Nothing happens contradictory to nature, only contradictory to what we know of it."

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #3347 on: January 09, 2013, 12:11:23 AM »
Too bad Root Beer and maple syrup is kinda complicated to get a hold of in my parts. I think I'll just wait until easter.

Where do you live, man?

Offline Not-not-kenny

• Members
« Reply #3348 on: January 09, 2013, 12:23:13 AM »

Where do you live, man?

In the Swedish deep south, university city called Lund.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3349 on: January 09, 2013, 06:16:37 AM »

I was gonna ask what julmust was.  If it tastes like maple syrup in root beer, I don't think I'm interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julmust
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.