home

Author Topic: Are the any special rules that allow a prayer re-roll?  (Read 446 times)

Offline Clymer

• Members
Are the any special rules that allow a prayer re-roll?
« on: April 29, 2024, 03:52:17 AM »
Checking the rules for prayers and the veteran rule... If a priest is in a veteran unit, can he re-roll his leadership test to cast a prayer? I go back and forth.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 02:00:48 PM by Warlord »
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
Re: Does the veteran special rule allow a prayer re-roll?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 04:44:19 AM »
No. This is specifically covered in the FAQ.

It's a shame.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 01:09:48 PM »
Bummer… so does the Gleaming Pennant give the priest a prayer re-roll?
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Offline Sir Falo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 01:34:18 PM »
Bummer… so does the Gleaming Pennant give the priest a prayer re-roll?

Yes, but its very few times it is worth getting it. Maybe for a regiment of normal knights, they can use the reroll if you roll well with the prayers.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
Re: Are the any special rules that allow a prayer re-roll?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 04:16:48 PM »
Only set I would take this is Warrior Priests of Ulric for the +D3 charge prayer.  Or the multiwound(2) prayer. Core knights or Inner circle.

Re-roll 1's spell is fairly meh in a game where there aren't many attacks in combats.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 04:23:37 PM »
How many wounds you have in combat depends on your build though. Most infantry or cavalry units can be relied upon to have 7-10 attacks minimum. That is a 1 at least on each roll. If you are hitting on 4+ then the spell is increasing your hits by 8% or so. That is a fair number of hits.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 04:05:58 PM »
How many wounds you have in combat depends on your build though. Most infantry or cavalry units can be relied upon to have 7-10 attacks minimum. That is a 1 at least on each roll. If you are hitting on 4+ then the spell is increasing your hits by 8% or so. That is a fair number of hits.

It's all in relation to the cost of getting the re-roll. You pay for the warrior priest whos stats are not much better than a champion. And the spell might not be succcessful. Just take another demigryph for the same points for a guaranteed 4 extra attacks, and better stats, more unit strength, more wounds, etc...
...i don't want to use demigryphs as a trump to everything in the book so for those 80+ points for warrior priest, you can get:
An engineer
Low level mage or slightly more points for a better mage.
Knights
Archers
Etc...

That spell is terrible. Only time you cast it is if you didn't charge and enemy doesn't have multiwounds. But you don't taje the warrior priest for that spell.

Edit: i was mistaken. Re-roll 1's spell is Signar, not. Ulric. ....so ya, no point in ever taking a sigmar priest.

Edit2: i don't like how some prayers are "command range" while others only affect the unit he has joined. Needless complexity. Such a terribly written book.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 04:19:27 PM by The Peacemaker »
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 04:57:52 PM »
I have been slowly warming up to warrior priests. They are a master of none, jack of all trades pick. You get str 4 t4 w2 with heavy armor. So much better then a champion. You get a chance to get a prayer off without the enemy interacting. Where if you took a wizard the enemy could conduct a wizardly dispel.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 09:29:56 PM »

Edit: i was mistaken. Re-roll 1's spell is Signar, not. Ulric. ....so ya, no point in ever taking a sigmar priest.

Edit2: i don't like how some prayers are "command range" while others only affect the unit he has joined. Needless complexity. Such a terribly written book.

I would argue that some of them being command range and some of them being personal makes perfect sense.   The prayers that are inspiring others or calling the god to action are command range and the prayers that are channelling the power of the god through the priest are self only.

It's all in relation to the cost of getting the re-roll. You pay for the warrior priest whos stats are not much better than a champion.

We should be clear a warrior priest is a lot better than a champion.   Compared to a champion (who costs 5 points after all) a warrior priest gives you
+1 WS
+1 T
+1 S
+1 W
+1 I
Magic resistance +1 (which could get more important if the meta gets around to have more wizards)
Magical attacks (which could be important if there are a lot of flying ethereal dragons or what not kicking around)
Access to the prayers

And only costs 58 points, not 80+.   Therefore a warrior priest costs the same as a demigriffon knight.

Remember also that the re-roll of ones is not just the to hit but also the to wound.   If you take it on halberdiers then you are cutting their chance of not wounding (against T3 opponents) almost in half and (against t4 opponents) by almost 33%.   If you have it on something that is wounding on a 2+ then you are basically cutting their chance of not wounding from 1/6 to 1/36.   That is a massive jump and the empire has access to a reasonable amount of things that can wound on a 2+ or a 3+ (charging knights, greatswords, halberdiers, handgunners etc).   I'm looking deeper into priests but this prayer should be quite scary for opponents.   It is only a pity that it doesn't transfer to detachments.

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 10:12:20 PM »
So I have a question on the reroll to hits of 1 or to wound prayer.

The wording specifically says to hit OR to wound not AND to wound. Does that mean I have to pick which one?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 10:16:33 PM by Footpatrol2 »

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 10:56:34 PM »

The wording specifically says to hit OR to wound not AND to wound. Does that mean I have to pick which one?

I would say no.   You get to re-roll both to hit or to wound rolls.   That is generally what "or" means.   If you fulfill condition A you can use this ability.   If you fulfil condition B you get to use this ability.   This would be described as the ability can be used if condition A or condition B are fulfilled.

If you used "and" in this instance then condition A and condition B would need to be fulfilled in order for the ability to be used.   If only condition A was fulfilled the condition could not be used.   If only condition B was fulfilled the condition could not be used.

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 10:59:51 PM »

I would say no.   You get to re-roll both to hit or to wound rolls.   That is generally what "or" means.   If you fulfill condition A you can use this ability.   If you fulfil condition B you get to use this ability.   This would be described as the ability can be used if condition A or condition B are fulfilled.

If you used "and" in this instance then condition A and condition B would need to be fulfilled in order for the ability to be used.   If only condition A was fulfilled the condition could not be used.   If only condition B was fulfilled the condition could not be used.

Ok good to know thanks.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 03:48:36 PM »
Does the BSB let priest's re-roll their prayers?

Offline PowerSeries

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 05:39:41 PM »
No. BSB is Panic, Rally And Break checks.
https://tow.whfb.app/characters/hold-your-ground

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 05:41:25 PM »
That is what I thought but in another tread there was a comment about a BSB giving a necrotech a re-roll

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2024, 05:58:40 PM »
That's because the tomb kings BSB has a special rule (because....undead don't take panic, rally, or break checks)

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2024, 07:22:46 PM »
Yeah its a TK/VC-thing.

Instead of re-rolling panic, rally and break-tests, they grant reroll Ld in general + Indomitable D3 (sort of).