home

Author Topic: A Present To You: Crisis In Marienburg  (Read 26456 times)

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
A Present To You: Crisis In Marienburg
« on: December 25, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »

Hello everyone, hope you are all having a safe and enjoyable holidays. The Warhammer-Empire.com staff would like to use this day as a opportunity to make a fairly major announcement for the site.

Warhammer-Empire.com is pleased to announce plans for our new online campaign, pencilled in to commence mid-2008. Planning and preparation has been under way for about a month now, and much of the basics have already been laid down. We hope to improve upon the War of Ostermark Succession Campaign of 2005 in many areas, and to involve as many Warhammer players in the fun as we can.

Keep an eye out for future updates as more are sure to follow. Also, there is a good possibility over the next little while we will be looking for volunteers to fill some jobs.

---

Twenty-two centuries have passed since the Divine Sigmar drove the enemies of mankind from what was to become His Glorious Empire. His dream of a united land, where the people of the twelve tribes live together in peace, is no more than a distant memory. For The Empire is divided against itself and ruined by uncounted years of civil war. Three Emperors rule at once, though none can command more than a fraction of the whole, and everywhere there is chaos and death.

In recent years the harvests have been especially bad. As the year 2201 draws towards its end, food has become so scarce that even the aristocracy have begun to feel the effects. Heavy snowfalls have blocked the mountain passes, and the situation looks desperate indeed.

Yet through all this, Marienburg, once a tiny settlement clinging to life amongst the impenetrable swampland at the mouth of the River Reik, has prospered. It is fifty years since the Western Elves arrived in the city, and they have caused money to flow into the coffers of the mercantile elite as never before. Its Imperial line faltering, Marienburg now looks to its great trading families for leadership. Their alliance with many of the seafaring nations has allowed Marienburg to dominate the Sea of Claws and become the gateway to The Empire.

This Marienburg Alliance, born from the city's partnership with the Western Elves, has expanded into a vast trading league that extends as far as Estalia and Tilea. Their huge composite fleet, including the deadly ships of the elves, rules the ocean almost unchallenged. With The Empire starving and largely cut off from outside help, Marienburg is free to extort whatever prices it chooses for the supplies it provides. The line of Empress Magritta, the last to be elected to the Imperial throne, has grown so weak that the current Emperor has only the last vestiges of power. The city and the alliance are ruled by the merchant families and their elven allies, and they dream of forcing the desperate Empire to accept their rule.

The death of Emperor Severin I plunged the Empire of Middenland into years of civil war and tyranny. It emerged from this period far more bloodthirsty and militant than before, and has gained a huge amount of ground from the neighbouring Otillian Empire. The Middenland Emperor rules according to the harshest dictates of Ulric, the Lord of Winter: in many ways, Middenland has taken on the fanaticism and persecution that previously characterised the Otillian Empire.

Ostland and Hochland are firmly in Middenland's grip, but Nordland has begun to slip through its fingers. With his people starving, the Emperor has now set his eyes on Marienburg as the key to bringing the entire Empire under the dominion of the White Wolf. Mindful of his limited access to the Sea of Claws, he has (at considerable expense) chartered a large number of Norse vessels, commanding them to prey upon any and all merchant shipping directed towards the great city.

The League of Free Traders emerged in recent years as a result of Nordland's struggle to free itself from the dominion of Middenland.  Nordland saw its salvation in the exploitation of coastal trade, but the Marienburg Alliance has shown that it will go to any lengths to drive its competitors out of business. Harried by Middenland's armies and Marienburg's privateers, Nordland had been brought to the brink of collapse. It was saved only through the intervention of the Otillian Empire.

The Otillian Empire has seen a great deal of change since the war in Ostermark. A string of defeats at the hands of Middenland weakened the old order, and the current Otillia has made sweeping reforms. Talabecland, in partnership with Ostermark and with the northern nation of Kislev, has become more open and tolerant than would have been thought possible decades before.

The League has formed from this coming together of Nordland, Kislev, and the Otillians, with the stated aim of disrupting Marienburg's mercantile dominance. Latterly, the ocean-going Dwarfs of Barak Varr have joined the League, seeking to oppose their old enemies the Western Elves.

After Stirland's disastrous defeat in the War of the Ostermark Succession, The Grand Principality of Reikland has come to represent the dream of a Sigmarite Empire. Reikland's Grand Prince has the support of the Grand Theogonist himself, and the backing of Nuln, Altdorf, Wissenland and (what remains of) Stirland. For Reikland, as for Middenland, Marienburg is a bloated leech on the body of The Empire that must be removed.

They are supported in this goal by the Bretonnian Duke of L'Anguille. It is more than six hundred years since Marienburg was briefly ruled from L'Anguille, and the current Duke would like nothing better than to reclaim the city. Previous efforts have been blocked by the King, but the King has now called an Errantry War to rid Bretonnia of the orcs once and for all. With the King and the other Dukes distracted, L'Anguille has the perfect opportunity. The Grand Prince of the Reikland has agreed to grant what is currently the city's Elven District, along with lucrative trade concessions, to the Duke in return for the assistance of his army and, most importantly, his fleet, in crushing the Marienburg Alliance.

And so while Marienburg grows fat, the rest of The Empire gazes upon it with hatred and greed. The armies and navies of the Empire of Middenland, the League of Free Traders, and the Sigmarite Empire, make war on each other and on the Marienburg Alliance. For whoever controls Marienburg could finally fulfil their greatest desire, and rule over a reunited Empire.

---

Here are some links:
::candy:: The Crisis in Marienburg Information Site
::candy:: The Christmas Topic (and tree!)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:27:00 AM by . »
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
Re: A Present To You: Crisis In Marienburg
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 06:03:17 AM »
Dang! I go away for 12 hours and all hell breaks loose. 

Marienburg for Nordland!

Burn them all and let Sigmar (or Ulric) sort them out.   ::heretic::  ::heretic::  ::heretic::  ::heretic::
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 06:19:42 AM »
I have to go research some fluff! Can you point to other sources that talk about the war of the three Emperors (besides Empire Army Book)?

This sounds really cool!
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 06:54:55 AM »
Ooooo that does sound good.

sj

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 07:14:07 AM »
I forgot to mention... within several days some "historical documents" should become available.
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 10:31:38 AM »
Bogenhafen (lying squarely in Reikland) will contribute to the fighting!

Maybe it was this episode in history which boosted their own mercantile drive.

REIKLAND!!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 11:28:07 AM »
The 18th Reikland will be championing the Reikland cause.. of course...

FOR THE EMPEROR ! FOR REIKLAND (not neccesarily in that order)
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Sigmork

• Members
  • R.I.P. Rufas
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 12:38:03 PM »
13th Talabhiem Experimental force reporting for duty

Serving the True Emperor, the most Divine Otillian

Our steam tank is currently being renovated and will soon be fully operational ready to crush the foes of the Otillians.

:biggriin:

Seriously though, how does this work, I missed out the War of Ostermark Succession Campaign, so how are battles etc. fought?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 02:29:28 PM by Sigmork »
Quote from: PhillyT
Sigmork, your chi is weak!

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 02:07:02 PM »
Yes Sigmork might have a point. I dont know how this works either.

It might come later

The inquisitorial forces of Talabheim are ready to fight... after we have finished our list of burnings.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 05:03:01 PM »
More will be revealed later, this is just to let you know what we are working on.  :-)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 05:24:43 PM »
I demand a rethink

Nordland and Kislev on the same side - that means I have to fight with Rufas.

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 05:34:53 PM »
I demand a rethink

Nordland and Kislev on the same side - that means I have to fight with Rufas.

Midaski, I am surprised...

Truly a man of your intellect should have realised fighting with Rufas is actually a benefit to you. Haven't you heard of the terms, "Diversion", "Distraction" and "Bait" ?

Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 06:20:35 PM »
So am I the Distraction or the Bait?

Come on Midaski, just close your eyes and think of the Empire (or Kislev).  :ph34r:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 09:20:12 PM by Rufas the Eccentric »
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »
Anyone else find it odd that our christmas present was famine and war?

:roll:
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Velead

• Members
  • I miss Rufas.
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 11:05:41 PM »
Anyone else find it odd that our christmas present was famine and war?

:roll:
Not really, no. Why?
One man's astonishing is another man's urinal cake.

Phil

Offline Goomb

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 07:38:03 AM »
Wissenlander gave me the head's up about this during the A2 Campaign that I ran with him.  Ahem, where the hell were you gits?  Now the chumbuckets are running Araby....!

On topic: Da Warpath greenskins would like to engage in this little party, especially if the chumbuckets are declaring an errantry war against us (I beg them to try to clear us out).  My sights are clear, my army will be ready.  Da Warpath will go to war against all who oppose us......

If we are allowed to play.

I look forward to participating in any way possible.  Da Warpath will be there if we are allowed to play.

Goomb
Da Warpath Administrator
Animosity 2 Gamemaster
NCC Talabecland Borders Big Boss

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 07:54:34 AM »
I hope I am not giving away too much with this post..

Given the location of Marienburg, at least some of the campaign is going to take place on the open seas, and there has been some discussion of the various factions using privateers to gain an upper hand... the races mentioned in these talks include the Orcs and Goblins.

Now we don't have anything official on this, but my opinion would be that the Orcs and Goblins will very likely have a role in the campaign.

Hope that helps.

Offline Goomb

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 08:01:21 AM »
Indeed, Calvin, it does.  I don't know where you would get the idea that we would throw some greenskin privateers into the mix.... :evil:  YARR!  We are simply looking forward to breaking something, like, say, Marienburg!

Let me know if you need some help.  Wissenlander and I have collaborated quite a bit since NCC, and I am looking forward to a new campaign.  These are always a lot of fun to plan and play. 

BTW, the background looks fantastic, and I am already looking forward to it, as are my two boys and neighbor who are all Empire players <little misguided gits>.

WAAAAGH!
Goomb

EDIT: I sent you a PM at Da Warpath, Calvin....
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 08:06:35 AM by Goomb »

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 08:03:15 AM »
Yippiekayee.... we're going to war.....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »
I see you're already making some noise on Da Warpath  :happy:

I'm glad to hear that you are interested in helping, and I will keep you (and Wissenlander) in mind if we need some advice or help.

Offline Goomb

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 08:11:27 AM »
I do not want to hijack your thread, mate, but yes, I think we can gather a nice little WAAAGH to join the fun.  I look forward to working with you on this in the future.

Now, bring me that horizon!

Goomb

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »
Oh my... But what does it take to be a part? Can only fight my sons Empire army (His force belongs to a contender of the Talabecland throne) and he is 11 so I guess he cannot participate on his own. And my buddy Tom plays VC or TK...
So I cannot join... BUHUU!!!!

But if it is possible, and someone needs to enlist the elves of the Great forest, well, we can do a service for someone who wants to kick Talabecland arse... :icon_mrgreen:

Or I could speed up my assembly of my DoW army. I got no money for new units, but if I get together what I have and make my elven archers into "counts as" Marksmen of Miragliano I could have a force worthy of mentioning. Going to be a lot of counts as in this army.

So anyone want to hier the Grey company for tidy sum? :smile2:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 11:51:24 AM »
The campaign won't be restricted to Empire vs Empire battles, that would limit the number of participants drastically (I'm the only Empire player in our gaming group for instance).

Other races are simply trying to interfere/being manipulated or hired by Empire factions/are at the wrong place at the wrong time etc.

Empire vs Empire battles could have a bigger influence on the actual campaign results though.

What's likely to be the case is that we'll be using modified army lists to represent the 3 factions, based on their own biases but of course mainly based on the historic period in which the campaign takes place. Don't count on using things like Helstorms or Helblasters!

I think it's going to be a lot of fun! :biggriin:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 12:17:20 PM »
Alright.  Not sure how I'll be needed in this, if anyone would even want me...
But I'm available if anyone needs help.  Now I just need to go back and read what the heck this is all about!

Edit:  I see, looks like I'll be in the Sigmarite Empire.  Wouldn't Averland be included in that mix as well?  Rufas, we can get in a game or two during the campaign maybe.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:47:10 PM by wissenlander »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 01:35:45 PM »
Remember people, if you've got an army from province 'X' that doesn't mean you have to fight for the faction that province belongs to!

Supporting dissaffected nobles, dissident's, rival throne claimants etc. has been a time honoured tradition throughout history! :icon_wink:

PhillyT