home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296175 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog
« Reply #400 on: December 05, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »
That's a nice set of wagons, but yes, some attendants would look more natural.

I admire your will power! Your one purchase is an excellent choice, though. I really like that model. Good job for my budget that I didn't think to go looking for a Reaper sale! In lieu of will power, I simply wasn't near the internet for the whole of Black Friday, which would have worked if everyone hadn't extended their sales to all weekend...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #401 on: December 06, 2015, 12:09:20 PM »
Yes, plenty of good hobby deals this year.  I was able to get through all of that and purchased only one group of items ... a carracio, its oxen, and a set of 2 priests, driver, and 3 praying soldiers, Perry figures at 40% off and with postage coming to $35.  Yesterday, I was at local game day, and picked up a set of Ral Partha late medieval cannons for $15, too good not to pick up, but going to try not to make more hobby purchases for the rest of this year.

The beast lord is excellent!  And enjoyed seeing the wagon collection, too. :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 12:32:44 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #402 on: December 06, 2015, 09:21:45 PM »
That beastman is fantastic! He'll look great leading the herd into battle.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #403 on: December 09, 2015, 06:01:33 AM »
I like your work with that beastlord as well as the wagons.  It is a shame we live so far apart as otherwise I would be heavily interested in joining you on your campaign.

I have put a brief amount of thought into some form of online, remote gaming. I may still try that in the future.

I admire your will power! Your one purchase is an excellent choice, though. I really like that model. Good job for my budget that I didn't think to go looking for a Reaper sale!

I've been wanting the figure, and for the price, it was worth investing in the metal. I found it at The War Store, while looking for deals on other stuff.

Still not much time for painting lately. But I did finish the second commissioned beastman, shown here with his friend from last week.

I've got one other commission figure I need to get done before jumping into my goals for "Deadcember." But it's a big resin one that seems to be half scrap, and will take a major cutting, filing & sanding. In fact, I've never seen a model that requires as much work as this one. And with the holidays approaching and some big tasks I need to wrap up for my "day job"... I'm not sure I'll get to paint much of my own stuff nor play that game I wanted before the end of the year.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #404 on: December 09, 2015, 02:54:23 PM »
I like your work with that beastlord as well as the wagons.  It is a shame we live so far apart as otherwise I would be heavily interested in joining you on your campaign.
I have put a brief amount of thought into some form of online, remote gaming. I may still try that in the future.
There's probably a way to do this nowadays.

I like what you've done with the red on the banner. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #405 on: December 09, 2015, 08:18:06 PM »
There's probably a way to do this nowadays.

I've got a number of ideas on how to handle different aspects of a remote game. Since I work a lot with graphic & web design, I also have some knowledge of & experience with some useful tools. But for the most part, I think it could be done simply, with tools & apps available to anyone & easy to use.

The closest to a face-to-face two player game would be to use a video chat/conference app like Google Hangouts and do everything live. I could mount a camera above the table for the "dragons eye view" of the battle, then each player (including me) would be logged into the video chat as well. Or it doesn't even have to be a video chat. As long as there is a stream of the battlefield, that's the important part. Other players could use text based chat if they want. Since Hail Caesar is focused less on micro-measurements, and more on orders and command rolls, players could give verbal orders (just as they would in a face to face game) but I would move the actual figures.

But I could also manage a "slow game" as well. Do a single turn at a time based on photos and emails or forum posts rather than live video. More like old-school play-by-mail or play-by-email games. Or even closer to the solo gaming I plan on doing in the first place, I could just get input from opponent(s) or even a forum community by asking for choices to be made at key moments. That would not only keep some of the command/control out of my hands, but put another real person behind it (as opposed to a set of rules, flowchart, cards, etc. that I am considering for solo play.) But it would be faster than a pure play-by-email style game, because I could run the more boring parts solo.

An interesting idea that could be worked into any remote game is double-blind deployment. I could snap a photo of the battlefield, then set up my troops. My opponent(s) would then direct me on their own deployment. Once that is set up, the full battlefield is revealed and we play.

The important part (to me) would be to add some unpredictability to the game. Even if I "program" my opponent, in the back of my head I still know how they're (mostly) going to act and can't wipe that entirely from my own decision making. I can add some programmed randomness, but then that won't always be in the best interest of an imaginary opponent.

I like what you've done with the red on the banner. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #406 on: December 09, 2015, 08:40:31 PM »
If you plan any games where one plays through chat, skype or email and you move the models themselves, please count me in as I would want to have a game against you but due to being on another continent this is impossible physically.
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #407 on: December 10, 2015, 12:01:17 AM »
These Woffboot Chronicle guys seem to do a lot of their gaming over Skype.  I'm game for giving it a try but after the holidays would be best. 

http://woffboot.blogspot.com/
http://woffboot.blogspot.com/2015/07/battle-report-age-of-aosboot.html

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #408 on: December 10, 2015, 04:51:32 AM »
I don't quite have a good grasp yet of being able to envision it, yet that's probably because I'm a bit behind the times technologically.  I just haven't kept up, and think its because it has seemed simpler and not necessary, yet that doesn't mean there isn't interest, and curiosity.  Also, I wonder how such a thing could work for a campaign type experience, and I don't mean the stuff we've seen on the internet called an on-line campaign, I mean actual campaigns, like Padre has run, and off line.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #409 on: December 10, 2015, 06:40:21 AM »
These Woffboot Chronicle guys seem to do a lot of their gaming over Skype.  I'm game for giving it a try but after the holidays would be best. 

http://woffboot.blogspot.com/
http://woffboot.blogspot.com/2015/07/battle-report-age-of-aosboot.html

I like the shared batreps, too. Blogger works well for that, since you can have multiple contributors. One person can type up their portion, then the next player can add their commentary, all before publishing it to the public.

I don't quite have a good grasp yet of being able to envision it, yet that's probably because I'm a bit behind the times technologically.  I just haven't kept up, and think its because it has seemed simpler and not necessary, yet that doesn't mean there isn't interest, and curiosity.  Also, I wonder how such a thing could work for a campaign type experience, and I don't mean the stuff we've seen on the internet called an on-line campaign, I mean actual campaigns, like Padre has run, and off line.

Remote Gaming

This is new ground to me too*, but I think it can be done a number of ways.

One is just to use specially designed software/web site. I believe there is one tailored to WFB. There is/was a pretty successful adaptation of DBA online as well. GW has liscensed a version of Bloodbowl that, as I understand it, plays just like the face to face version. These all replace the physical gaming table, miniatures, etc. with digital replacements. Although I may be interested in this to some extent, I consider it as a completely different animal than what I am currently considering. I enjoy the modeling & theatrics as much as the game play.

Another is to use any combination of email, chat, video chat/conferencing, forum, etc. combined with an actual table, miniatures, etc. at one location. This takes a bit more of a loose style of play, as it doesn't accommodate micro-measurements and geometric gimmicks very well. Players also have to be comfortable enough in assuming that the host isn't cheating. :wink: (In my mind, that sort of defeats the point of gaming like this anyway.)

So one person has the table set up and the armies, and they somehow publish a photo or video of the table. Opposing players then give their instructions (via email, chat, Skype, etc.) for movement, shooting, etc. to the host player, who does all of the moving of figures. Dice rolling could be handled a number of ways. If it's live (video) the host player could to it all on camera, or each player could do their own if it's visible on cam. I understand there are also online dice-rollers that a lot of online RPG gamers** use. If it's done by email, on a forum, etc. then all of the details (rolls, combat results, etc.) could be handled by the host. This would be a more narrative style game & campaign, in which the other player(s) provide the decision making but aren't necessarily involved in the mechanics at all. You could still have the other player(s) manage the individual decisions, rolls, etc. but this would produce a slower moving game.

In any of these cases, expanding this into a campaign would work similarly, just "zooming out" to a larger scale for the overall army movements, larger narrative, etc.

Previous Campaigns

I've managed various aspects of a few campaigns online before. These were all for map based, non-narrative campaigns with individual games played face-to-face. I think they were all based on some form or mutation of the oldschool GW Mighty Empire board game. The simplest involved nothing more than me creating & editing the map online, so everyone had equal access to it anytime they wanted.

In one campaign, I also collected the other players turn orders after I had already written mine down (I was also a player) so that everything was simultaneous. It went like this: I wrote my orders down and secretly moved my armies on the offline/draft copy of the map. Then everyone would send their troop movements in and I would move all of them on the map. Based on where everyone had moved, this would generate conflicts. Players had the option to retreat or contest the map area with a tabletop battle. This was all handled online, so only the battles had to be in person.

(I ran a little commentary on the last one I was involved with, here: http://www.zerotwentythree.com/search/label/Mighty%20Empires Unfortunately 8th edition came out and no one really wanted to continue playing the campaign in 7th, but converting everything to 8th seemed like too much trouble.)

* I've got a small amount of experience with the campaigns mentioned above, for example. As far as full-digital stuff, I'm old enough to remember playing games on pre-internet dial-up BBSs, where one player would log in and play their turn, then wait until the other player(s) had a chance to log in and play their turn. Most of these were pretty primitive adaptations of tabletop style games, such as simple gladiator type games, space combat played out on a 2d grid, etc. Wow -- how far things have come since then...  :icon_biggrin:

** I understand that remote RPG gaming has a significant following. A quick search pulled up a few really nice looking tools/sites. I'm also seeing the term "virtual tabletop" being used. I know there is at least one system like this for WFB, as I said (and it takes the physical tabletop out of the equation.)

https://roll20.net/
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/
http://www.fantasygrounds.com/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #410 on: December 11, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »

At the risk of being semi-spammy....

Take a look at my stuff for sale: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,51135.0.html

I am broke but would like to shovel piles of money at the Westfalia halfling Kickstarter. So any sales will be recycled into halflings. Help me acquire a halfling army!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #411 on: December 11, 2015, 11:31:52 PM »
I saw that, and was tempted on the Pizzaro box, but haven't bitten because I was going, and now have been, to Fall-In.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #412 on: December 12, 2015, 01:47:20 AM »
Selling them is a bit of a sacrifice. I'd like to keep them, but they are so far down on my list of priorities, and I want the hobbitses much, much more. Same with the Blazing Suns.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #413 on: December 12, 2015, 02:56:45 AM »
A couple of years ago I bought 4 inf regiments of North Star's 1672 range, and on Sunday morning at Fall-In I walked back into the dealer hall area and blundered into Age of Glory selling the line.  Then I impulse bought a cav regiment, command, dragoons (mounted and unmounted), a cannon, and crew.  Now I need to be really careful heading into the holidays and probably beyond, so not sure when I'll buy Westfalia halflings.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #414 on: December 23, 2015, 10:13:05 PM »
Thanks to Timbor & Von Kurst, I've now got a coven of insidious cultists. I think I will leave these individually based, so they can be more easily used for smaller/skirmish games.

I am still on the search for the champion from the Disciples of the Red Redemption (old RoR from which most of these figures came from.) That figure plus one more figure (probably the robed familiar I posted previously) will bring the total up to 24, which will be a pretty respectable number, allowing me to field two small 12 man units, a standard 16 man unit, or a large 24 man unit.

Unfortunately, every time I plan to spend an evening relaxing at the painting table, some new work or family situation pops up, demanding my attention. I've also been fighting off a persistent case of (possibly) pneumonia since the beginning of November, so I've sometimes been going to sleep earlier than usual, too. So "Deadcember" has been pretty dead, in terms of painting. Maybe the new year will bring some painting time.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #415 on: December 24, 2015, 12:15:07 AM »
 :::cheers::: Can't wait to see them painted...well I had them for like 20 yrs, so I wasn't in a big hurry to see them painted by me...
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #416 on: December 24, 2015, 04:08:32 PM »
You know they're in good hands now, anyway  :icon_biggrin:

Been keeping an eye out for that Champion, I have one but finding a second is surprisingly hard. They remain one of the most popular Regiments to collect, perhaps because there's no real later equivalent. Hanging onto mine for now just in case I come back to the Horde of Chaos I've been planning for 20 years... (I won't, let's face it)

Love the idea of remote wargaming, we tried a little RPGing that way and it didn't really work. I think rolling dice on webcam would be more fun than using random number any other way, tho.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #417 on: December 24, 2015, 06:39:15 PM »
It's funny, because I hadn't been actively looking for them, but the first batch came up in a trade offer and I figured I could make use of them. Even in the context of old figures, they're not the really the best sculpts to come from GW. But then both the figures and the idea of cultists really started to grow on me and I'm really looking forward to painting them up! They do have a certain charm, even if they're a bit overshadowed by many of the other, more flashy Chaos sculpts.  :wink:

Although the champion seems more elusive, the rest of the figures do seem to pop up pretty regularly on trade forums & eBay.

I think rolling dice on webcam would be more fun than using random number any other way, tho.

I'm leaning towards that too. Helps bridge the distance, contributing to the illusion that it's just a regular game with everyone in the same room, rolling dice, etc.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #418 on: December 24, 2015, 10:13:50 PM »

Enjoy your holiday of choice, y'all. Or don't. Crom does not care.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #419 on: January 02, 2016, 03:26:45 AM »
If there's anything I shouldn't be doing right now, it's spending money on miniatures. But I don't think I can be blamed for jumping on this the second I saw it...

:mrgreen:

The best thing is, I find myself sort on Empure missile troops, so this will conveniently fill a gap in the army.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #420 on: January 02, 2016, 10:37:04 AM »
Real bargain for classic models like those, I couldn't have resisted that either.

Please don't paint them plain blue though, it's a miracle they ever sold any Empire minis using that vibrant and exciting colour scheme!  :icon_eek:

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #421 on: January 02, 2016, 02:48:15 PM »
The Beastmen look fantastic and I'm looking forward to your cultists as well.  :-)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #422 on: January 03, 2016, 07:27:04 PM »
Please don't paint them plain blue though, it's a miracle they ever sold any Empire minis using that vibrant and exciting colour scheme!  :icon_eek:

Not a chance of that.  :ph34r:

Provided I can get back to the painting table sometime soon, what will I be working on in 2016? Well, like most wargamers/painters, that's subject to constant shifting attention... Although I do think I stuck to my one little project pretty well last year. I've got one or two things to finish for other people first. But after that, I've got a rough idea of some things I want to work on for myself in 2016. In no particular order, here are a few:

I took a few minutes to try out a possible solution to needing plastic shields similar to the old elf shields. It's polystyrene sheet, cut to shape, headed and formed around a dowel. Still needs a bit of refinement -- not quite there yet. White it mine, grey is a GW shield.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #423 on: January 07, 2016, 05:21:27 AM »
I finally grabbed a few hours today to paint! As much as I need to wrap up some painting for others, I really needed to do something for myself (fun, no pressure, etc.) to de-stress a bit. Plus, I really didn't have that much time, so it was speed painting rather than nice detailed painting.

I painted up a small unit of skeleton guard (old 4th ed. Citadel wights.) Not as good looking or dynamic as the Warmachine Bane Thralls I used on my first unit of skeleton guard, but they have a certain retro-charm. Plus I got them in a trade for some other old figures, which is more agreeable with my limited gaming finances.

I think my home-made shields turned out pretty decent looking!

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #424 on: January 07, 2016, 12:48:02 PM »
Are they done or will you add heraldry? Although looking good, they do lack something.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls