home

Author Topic: Chaos Dwarfs Through the Ages  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
Chaos Dwarfs Through the Ages
« on: April 18, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the first ever compilation of official Chaos Dwarf miniature developments through the ages!

This overview of Games Workshop and Forgeworld's various iterations of Chaos Dwarfs will take you from the very beginnings up to the present day (April 2019), and showcase the evolution of the weird and wondrous concepts embedded in Chaos Dwarfs.

This thread deals with Chaos Dwarf concepts in official miniatures. For compilation attempts at community homebrew work on Chaos Dwarfs, see Carven Images (CDO 2007-2017) and the Chaos Dwarf Culture Project.

Enjoy! :)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:09:26 PM by Karak Norn Clansman »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Chaos Dwarfs Through the Ages
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 04:44:36 AM »
What would be even more interesting is the question why Chaos Dwarfs?

Why not Chaos Goblins, Chaos Orcs, Chaos Halflings, etc. etc.?

My guess is that Dwarfs in the Norse legends and folk beliefs are morally ambivalent, and many are outright evil. Even Tolkien makes a mention that in ME some Dwarfs were so consumed with envy that they became evil. So evil Dwarfs. Then GW made the obvious link to good Dwarfish armour, maybe even Dwarfish Chaos armour, and machines. Add an (un)healthy dosis of Punk, Giger and Cthulhu, and there you have it, I'd guess.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 02:59:31 PM »
After Empire, Chaos Dwarves were my favourite army. Never really known why, but I have always loved them.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 04:12:24 PM »
After Empire, Chaos Dwarves were my favourite army. Never really known why, but I have always loved them.

With or without the big hats?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »
Great guess, Zygmund! I'm sharing it quoted, due credit of course given, on all other forums for others to consider.  :smile2:

Also, check out the 1980s compilation. Updated with Mini-Me Chaos Dwarfs beside their Human Chaos Warrior counterparts!

@Warlord: I'm also curious. Please tell us more.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:20:30 PM by Karak Norn Clansman »

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 11:26:32 AM »
What would be even more interesting is the question why Chaos Dwarfs?

Why not Chaos Goblins, Chaos Orcs, Chaos Halflings, etc. etc.?

My guess is that Dwarfs in the Norse legends and folk beliefs are morally ambivalent, and many are outright evil. Even Tolkien makes a mention that in ME some Dwarfs were so consumed with envy that they became evil. So evil Dwarfs. Then GW made the obvious link to good Dwarfish armour, maybe even Dwarfish Chaos armour, and machines. Add an (un)healthy dosis of Punk, Giger and Cthulhu, and there you have it, I'd guess.

-Z
Dwarves in Norse mythology are the representation of the baser aspects of human nature. Envy, greed, stagnation, that sort of thing.
In fantasy terms, Goblins and Orcs are naturally 'chaotic', going back as far as the very first roleplaying games, so 'Chaos Orcs' would be redundant.
Halflings as cfeated by JRR Tolkien are described as being more resistant to evil - or chaotic' influences, that's probably why Chaos Halflings would be rare.
My favorite Chaos Dwarfs as far as miniatures go are the 5th edition 'Assyrians' and their Hobgoblin allies.