home

Author Topic: My Hochland Project (3-19-2009)  (Read 41624 times)

Offline Vivendi

• Members
  • Belgium, land of rain
Re: My Hochland Project
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2007, 03:19:04 PM »
They look very good. Please continue with such great work :happy:
We worden geboren om te leven en leven om te sterven.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 01:02:53 AM »
Its ok... I've seen better  :cry: they look better than mine...

Seriously, well done. I like your approach, your skills are self evident, your Captain with Dragon Bow looks fantastic, and overall a very nice Hochland army.

Its weird, I got stuck between 5th ed and 6th ed when building my army. In 5th ed, Hochland was a rich province... not so poor. All of a sudden in 6th it became a poorish province, and got trampled all over by chaos on their way to Middenhiem so they could have a shower.

I like how your Greatswords will look - similar to mine, except you are a better painter, and have more patience  :-)

Keep it up.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 07:39:07 AM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 06:24:11 AM »
Ahhh I knew the Hochland fluff changed...

I remembered some Mordheim article where the 'rich' huntsmen of Hochland would come to the city of Mordheim with antique and well constructed weapons and uniforms... but yeah... wow, strange stuff that.

That was quite off the topic, but I like this army, because there's an example of how Hochland's Green-Red colour scheme DOES NOT come out as christmas trees with spears and handguns.

Top notch work ;)

sj

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 07:43:27 AM »
Yep. My army is well equipped with lots of armour and pretty weapons.

He keeps the scheme honest (for lack of a better expression) - so honest that it can't be mistaken for christmas colours. A very useful skill. Generally this is avoided by using lighter shades of green.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline LochNESS

• Members
  • Averland - That's where I am
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 07:58:26 PM »
It's hard to avoid that 'christmas' look. But it's generally hard to balance colours like Red-Green, Blue-Orange and Yellow-Purple. As these colours have such huge contrast that one colour is in danger of falling behind other colours. This means some parts will get overly exposed in terms of visual attraction while others are hardly seen.

For me, this means highlighting green a tad more then red, as red is a more dominant colour to the human eye (or in other words, the human eye is a tad blind for green) so the balance gets restored.

This means in colour terms: Snot Green -> Dark Green Ink -> Snot Green -> Goblin Green and finally Scorpion Green and on the other colours
Burned Cad. Red (Vallejo Model Colour) -> Scab Red -> Blood Red and finally Burning Orange
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Count of Averland - Check out my boardgame, wargame and hobby blog here!

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 03:35:01 PM »
It has taken me over 60 hours of painting, which is a new record (in terms of length) for me. But the results are there. Unfortunately I couldn't get really good pics that I wanted and some of them are a tad blurry but it gives a nice impression.

I have to say that the black parts still need some work, but as I'm at my gf's now and she has a digicam had to take pictures now. Also the banner still needs work as you can see. Only the piece of paper has been painted but the skelleton, horn and sword he's holding still need paint, just as the twintailed comet.

But as you can see the models can be used on the table. Yes, the bases still need work, but I intend to base the entire army in one go, adding 2 kinds of staticgrass and 2 kinds of shrubs to the bases to give this 'forestfeel' to Hochland. Afterall, most of the province is forest covered.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 03:37:32 PM by LochNESS »
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Re: My Hochland Project (19-05-2007)
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2007, 03:50:20 PM »
Very nice .. impressiv all together  :eusa_clap:

Offline rapido

• Members
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2007, 04:48:12 PM »
very very nice :biggriin:

Offline Tall Ed

• Members
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »
Very nice the layering looks much better than I thought it would.
I thought it might look over the top, but with a whole unit and the amount of armour that greatswords wear it looks very good.

Keep up the good work

Offline Zachos

• Members
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2007, 08:39:48 PM »
Lovely, lovely work. The one niggle I have is that the capt with dragon bow is holding the string at full draw, but the bow isn't bent at all. Just looks a bit weird to me, which is a shame because everything else about the model, and indeed the army, is excellent.
On the internet, no-one knows you are a dog...

Offline Soju

• Members
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »
Damn... you know what? I think you've got a knack for making really great bases... in the greatswords unit ... I can just imagine them treading through a forest floor and hacking away at ... whatever ... and yelling and screaming and singing or whatever they do.

It's brilliant!

sj

Offline BRIAN_W_dUNBAR

• Members
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2007, 05:51:08 AM »
Can't tell, but how did you paint the gold on the greatswords' armour... is that nmm?

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2007, 07:30:47 AM »
Thanks for all your replies lads :)

@BRIAN_W_dUNBAR : The gold painted in normal metallics: Tin Bitz, Brazzen Brass and finally Shining Gold. The same is used on the banner top, but I'm not liking it so it will get a chestnut wash and then two more highlights to get a more gradual flow in it.

@Zachos: some other people mentioned this, They might be right, a real bow should bend when the string is pulled. I'm not feeling of changing it at the moment, instead I'll say it's a magical bow  :ph34r: But yes, I could have bend them a little bit. Maybe the next time I'll make some.

Offline Gorthac

• Members
  • R.I.P. Rufas
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 10:41:03 AM »
It's a S6 bow, I imagine it's very stiff.

Very nice paintjob and overall theme on the army btw :)
Quote from: PhillyT
Pigeon bombs annihilate the enemy from afar while the Engineer rubs his beard and nods his head in a sagely fashion.

Phil

Offline stareso

• Members
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 02:48:44 PM »
Wow they all look cool but your greatswords are truly outstanding! I love those models and you hit the spot if you ask me. I am working on a 18 strong block of my own and I keep putting off that banner  :unsure: Yours gave me some hope again!

Cheerio  :mrgreen:

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »
Not totally for my Hochland project but I thought what the heck (I could use it anyways as Steamtanks are used on the place where they are needed most) and post it. The coloursceme is based on the old steamtanks coloursceme but it has been simplified (the old one had far to much going on, distracting from the model itself) so the model looks more coherent.

Offline Soju

• Members
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2007, 10:09:06 AM »
I love the pattern on the plates... that's fantastic! It reminds me of a dangerous little toy ready to steam you to death.

sj

Offline LochNESS

• Members
Re: My Hochland Project (23-05-2007)
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2007, 02:46:22 PM »
Hmm, some more questions. I've bought my last artillery piece for this army (the 2nd mortar) and got a Pistolier box and Handgunners box. First of, they are excellent minis, but they mouldlines on them are huge. Also the plastic seems stiffer and takes longer to bind. But does anyone else think that the new models look smaller compaired to the old handgunners?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 02:06:03 AM »
I think the new models look bigger - thats mainly the weapons doing though.

I have 20 of the old 6th ed unipose handgunners if you are interested...

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 06:37:42 AM »
Always interested, although for my Hochland army I think I have now enough of them. Also shipping from OZ wouldn't be cheapest Im afraid :(

You are right Warlord, the weapons are much bigger then the old Handguns. But the people holding them seem a bit fragile and small compaired to the old ones. I think it's all the puff on the old models that make 'm bulkier. None the less, I've been mixing some of the handgunners up for my 3rd and last regiment of Handgunners and the first 2 or 3 detachments of them and they can be combined excellently. Using 3 or 4 new minis per 6 old ones and you have some nice regiment with variation.

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »
Some more models that I've assembled around but still and now are in the line with more handgunners :biggriin: for the paintjob:

These militia were originally 20 models strong, that was, until I took 4 models out (2 carrying crossbows, 2 with bows) for reuse, the crossbowmen have been turned into Jeagercorps and the Archers have been fitted with arrows and strings in their bows to use as... archers.

This left me with an open space of 4 models, and so I thought of adding a small 'displaypiece' into it. As Free Company, or Militia, are just farmers and other peasants picking up their arms in defense of something they would probably not be the most organised troops and would definately carry all their food etc for on the way. So I gave some models a small barrel of ale on their back otherrs god other equipment and finally the 40mm square would be filled with some millitia prepairing a sheep. Afterall, an army marches on its stomach.

The Regiment

Closeup

Archer

Now for the update of the work as army total:

Painted Aldenbrand Ludendorf, Captain with Dragonbow, BSB, Jade Wizard, Amber Wizard, 25 Handgunners, 3x20 Spearmen, 2x10 Handgunners, 1 Cannon, 1 Mortar (not crew), 20 Greatswords: total around 1850 points incl magic items

WIP 20 Militia, 10 IC Knights, 1 Cannon, 1 Mortar Crew, 2 Marksmen with Longrifle, 8 Handgunner detachment (GS), 10 Handgunners with RH marksmen, 10 archers,

Unpainted/Unassembled3x6 + handgunners (detachment), 10 archers, 20 militia, 10 halbardiers (detachment GS), 6 archers (detachment), 1 Mortar, 4x8 militia (detachment), 6 White Wolves, 2x6 Knights, Warriorpriest, Grandmaster, Jade Wizardlord, 10 Jeagercorps (Huntsmen), 3 Huntsmasters (DoW light cav)

To buy Dogs, lots of dogs, and hounds, oh yeah, huntingdogs and warhounds, for my Huntsmasters
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 06:11:51 PM by LochNESS »

Offline MrAnderssen

• Members
  • Stirland River Patroler
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2007, 10:36:51 PM »
cool, I never liked the militia archer arms. They would never quite look natural for me. Keep up the good work.
Mr.Anderssen

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2007, 07:14:42 AM »
Hmm, I can agree with you there Mr Anderson. but with some minor conversions you have a great unit in no time. They are very dynamic miniatures, and by shaving off a little bit of plastic you can make lots of different poses. Sorry that I don't have a picture of the complete unit but I've tried here to create a grizzled unit of veterans fighting beastmen in the forests of Hochland.

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2007, 05:14:51 PM »
And an update of the banner of my Greatswords. Hope you like him.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Re: My Hochland Project (30-05-2007)
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2007, 06:28:18 PM »
I don`t like it.

I love it. Very well done !  :eusa_clap: