home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 66015 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #375 on: February 07, 2020, 02:19:37 AM »
I fixed my Mordheim rejects!!

So remember this guy?

Well, I did some head swapping, and arm too, and created this:

I think he totally fits right in.

The head came from one of my Marienburg pirate thugs, who I did like his head for that gang, but then I found a new head bit and decided it might work better, and I think it does.

I think he fits right in his gang too. Now they all look very piratey.

Also, I tracked down some extra bits for the Engineer looking guy who comes with the Helblaster (he wasn't easy to find for awhile), and I was wondering if I should go ahead and make Markus as I intended just for shits and giggles, or use the body for another bloke. What do you think?

I wouldn't be able to play him like this until I went through some campaign which I never will and earned enough coin to buy him the blunderbuss.

What do you think?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #376 on: February 07, 2020, 02:45:15 AM »
Yes :icon_idea:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #377 on: February 07, 2020, 09:48:17 AM »
Make as intended. Modelling before gaming  :happy:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #378 on: February 07, 2020, 02:04:24 PM »
Ok then!

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #379 on: February 14, 2020, 07:16:29 PM »
Ok I really need some advice here. I thought I was done with this thread but I still have some distance to go I guess.

So... when I started out as you might remember I was going to cap my armies at 700 points. Then it went to 1000. I am pretty much still set on 1000, although some armies I might have more for. Mostly because some had models I liked. I decided on using 6th and Ravening Hordes for my lists, and using the minimum unit size for my regiments.

I started out on the Starter sets, expanded from there, but then went back and bought all of the Battalion sets. I thought I would just stick with my plan on using the RH unit minimums, but now I am not so sure. Most of these sets come with a unit or two of 20 guys, but I am not sure how balanced everything is.

But lets say I re-build my armies around the Battalion sets, as they come, so starting with the Empire:

Except that I have 5 Knights instead of 8 (More on that later), and I add in some other 10-man units, like Greatswords, or a Mortar, a General, Battle Standard Bearer, and Wizard. I intend for all my armies to have those three heroes.

So would that work, against something like these:

Assuming of course, I add some other units - minimum sized (that's all I have for extras).

The question is, would the block of 20 be overwhelming if I had a few for some armies where I don't for others? Like the Skaven have 3, and I have 20 Stormvermin to add.

The reason all this is a big deal, as when I thought I would do the minimum of 10 man units, I went out to make sure I had the parts to make a Champion, Standard, and Musician for each for a 10-man unit from a 20-man unit (as in the case of the State Troops shown above). And if I go the route of some units being 20, I will use up the figures I set aside for those three and make them regular troops, like the State Troops. If I ever wanted to break these guys up into two smaller units, I wouldn't have those command models. Not to mention the movement trays...

And, splitting them up into two 10-man, I can make some as Swordsmen, and others as Halberds, something that really interests me. I am afraid I will get bored of these big blocks and all being the same. However, the more I look at these big blocks, the more I think they do look cool, and they are the way the game intended.

I do want to make all of my armies balanced, and also make sense in the WFB world. I don't mind having some large units, but I don't want to buy anymore so if I am short for some armies, which would make them difficult to be competitive with, I am not sure I want to do it.

Also, on the 5 Knights... most of the Battalion sets do come with 8 horse riders of some sort, but some only have 5, like the Dark Elves. I would prefer all my cavalry to be the same in count, so its going to have to be 5. In some cases those extra models I can use for other projects. Well, in the case of the Orcs and Goblins, I have 5 Boar Riders, but 10 Spider Riders... I guess the Goblins always have large units?

For those that have been following this thread, I am working on painting my 'burner' armies, so those are using the minimum unit size, so I guess when I get to play I will use those first and maybe get them out of my system. I guess I just wanted to be sure that the Battalion sets were reasonably balanced and a good anchor to work off of.

Please let me know what you think.

BTW - I picked up the hard to find Empire Huntsmen.  :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:20:39 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #380 on: February 14, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »
you may be overthinking this a bit  :wink:

If you plan on playing 6th edition, 20 is plenty big for a unit (the front rank will be killed by the chargers, nobody gets to swing back and they'll run away no matter how many are standing in the back then). Actually at 1000pts army size, 20 seems at the high end in 6th edition.

I think GW decided on what goes into these boxes by looking at the army backgrounds (well, and probably what sprues they had at hand), background is not a bad reason for army selection for your project either. I wouldn't worry about 'competitive' or 'balance'. There will be bad match-ups of armies. so what, you'll figure out what they are and avoid them...or just roll with it by giving the stronger army to the weaker player.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #381 on: February 14, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »
Ha, yeah I do overthink things.

So you think staying with 10 man units is okay? I went out and got all the parts to do so. I guess I might was well stick to the plan.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #382 on: February 14, 2020, 11:52:59 PM »
6th edition was four wide for a rank, so I'd argue 12 is a more aesthetically pleasing unit size. (except for shooters who had to stand in one thin single line as second rank couldn't shoot, 10 seems fine then).

also, I applaud your appropriately grand efforts of getting an army for every faction  :eusa_clap:
(I am doing something similar for 8th edition, though I may not get every last faction, some are not my cup of tea. currently at six and a half, however, I am at a much more leisurely pace than you)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #383 on: February 15, 2020, 03:18:43 AM »
Thanks! To be honest things just kinda got crazier than I anticipated, but then I do like variety. I guess it’s more interesting to me to have two different 1000 point armies as opposed to a single 2000 one. That way I can enjoy making and painting different models. I also worries some models would just get harder and harder to find so I went crazy last year but pretty much have everything I could want. Maybe some day I’ll get a Black Dragon or Steam Tank, but not a big deal that I don’t.

I really regret not getting into the hobby sooner, but I was more into sci-fi back in the day. Fantasy is an unexplored area to me so it’s been an eye opening experience.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #384 on: February 15, 2020, 06:47:10 AM »
You know my opinion on 10vs20 for state troops. Naitsabes is right though, a 4x4 block 16 is fine. 10 is ok for your modelling projects, but not going to add a lot - your battleline will break like a twig instead of holding a round or two. Maybe consider one bigger unit of 16-20.

Against those armies, a unit of 16-20 is much more ideal. Units of 10 won’t do much. It will actually make it easier for your opponent to win as they wont need to do much to capture standards for easy victory points.

Cavalry at unit size 5 is ideal for most armies. Spider riders should be split if possible. Other than Bretonians, who should aim for 6 (including character).
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #385 on: February 21, 2020, 02:45:29 PM »
You know my opinion on 10vs20 for state troops. Naitsabes is right though, a 4x4 block 16 is fine. 10 is ok for your modelling projects, but not going to add a lot - your battleline will break like a twig instead of holding a round or two. Maybe consider one bigger unit of 16-20.

Against those armies, a unit of 16-20 is much more ideal. Units of 10 won’t do much. It will actually make it easier for your opponent to win as they wont need to do much to capture standards for easy victory points.

Cavalry at unit size 5 is ideal for most armies. Spider riders should be split if possible. Other than Bretonians, who should aim for 6 (including character).

Well the minimum unit size for the spider riders is 10... I assumed maybe they were only as good as 5 regular Knights... ?

Also, its hard for me to gauge which units should be larger and which are ok as 10. Thats why I was referring to the Battalion sets. And some units I just have 10 and thats going to be it. But my issue with units of 16 is that I do have that many then I have 20 models, so either use all of them in a single or break them up into two 10 man units.

So I wish to inform you all that I picked up a Garden of Morr. Its been on my mind for sometime, but I missed the boat when it was sold as a single set, and GW then started selling it in a large set with twice the items. I didn't want all that. So I got the older WFB version, and are excited about it. Figured it would look good on a table with the Undead.

Speaking of terrain, I might have mentioned this, but some time ago I got the fortified Manor. I love it, but was wondering if anyone else has gotten this, and is it possible to NOT glue all the various structures together so I could use them individually. As in, the tower and the house are linked by a third piece, and wondered if it would all stay put if I didn't glue those together. Its a great piece but I want the option to break them up if wanted, so scatter the terrain around.

I also have 5 sets of the older Citadel Wood. I had a couple, but when I got word that GW was killing it, I snagged three more. I love forest pieces and didn't like the newer version they were releasing. Anyway, I plan to do each mostly the same except use various pieces to customize them, like using the little creatures that come with the Wood Elves for a couple, and then another with some skeletal remains for one that more haunted, that kind of thing. I am really stoked about them. As a matter of fact, I am going to start them as soon as I am done with my starter armies, which I have started painting. So hopefully I will be able to use everything for my first battle report.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #386 on: February 22, 2020, 08:43:38 AM »
You can keep the Fortified Manor in three main pieces. Just pay attention when you add the extra bits. I stuck one of the windows in the wrong place on the tower and didn't notice until I was pretty far into the painting how that extra window interfered with putting together the manor. It was a sad day in the hobby room.  :-P  You will also need to keep the stairs lose so they can fit both on the manor as well as the standalone tower as needed.

Think twice, glue once.

As far as your unit size procrastinations go, I don't understand how you can get these exact body counts and still put together a somewhat functioning army. Sometimes you need a magic item and so you drop a few guys from a unit, for example. Doesn't mean you couldn't have them sit on the shelf all nice and clean in proper units of 20 (or whatever your number is). I am sure there are people with good memory on this forum who could help you come up with 6th edition lists based on the models you have.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #387 on: February 23, 2020, 05:50:21 PM »
My fortified manor is missing thre connector piece,  and thre stone walls out front.  It was cheap enough, but i would have liked to put it together

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #388 on: February 25, 2020, 03:06:11 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Naitsabes!

Okay guys, I have started painting my starter empire army and wow, not used to painting faces, and that is where I started. My flesh paint was kinda crappy, so looking into how to do faces (as I don't do them very often), I found a GW tutorial using the newer paints. So I went out and bought everything and thought everything looked pretty ok (I did make some mistakes), but when it came to doing the eyes holy crap. I prob would have been better off not giving them any. I tried to do the whole army like a production line and are going to have to go back and make a lot of corrections. Some are just kinda blurry and prob going to leave it at that. My eyes are not what they used to be.

I didn't give much thought to this. I am used to painting space marines with helmets on.

Anyway, I have a question concerning my 3 other Empire armies based around the Battalion sets, who to choose the extra units for, and what province might be best to do.

So here is what I have across all the 3 armies:

General
Battle Standard
Wizard
20 State Troops
10 Handgunners/Crossbowmen
5 Knights
Great Cannon

Now the Knights I thought I would do this: I have a total of 16, so dividing them up in groups of 5, and having the bits to do the Reikland looking Knightly Order guys, the Knights of the White Wolf, and Knights Panther (who I don't even like, but will take advantage of the difference in models).

So would the White Wolf guys more than likely be a Middleheim army? Would other provinces have them? And would a particular province use the Knights Panther? I see the regular Knightly Orders with Talabheim in a lot of pics, and I was interested in doing those.

I also have a unit each of:

Greatswords
Spearmen
Flagellants
Archers/Huntsmen

In addition to each having a Great Cannon, I have another Mortar and the Helhammer. I suppose I could re-cycle my starter Great Cannon I am working on for one of these too.

So what do you think? How would you assign some of these to a particular province? I do like handgunners, but if the fluff thinks one should be crossbowmen instead I am cool with that.

Do you guys understand what I mean? I know like Nuln are the black powder guys, so maybe the Helhammer and a Great Cannon would go with them with a unit of Handgunners? I have to be honest the black color is kinda boring to me.

I was wondering too, if the Flagellants are more prominent in certain provinces too. Then I would lean towards making the whole army that province.

Same with the Huntsman. I feel like Greatswords would be everywhere.

I do like Talabheim. I think a Middleheim army would be cool if that's where the White Wolves should be. I love Marienburg in Mordhiem, but not sure I want to go all that crazy on painting them for an army.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2020, 02:40:28 AM »
Yeah I am pretty sure I asked a question, and uhh... well, I want some god damn answers.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2020, 12:37:27 PM »
I can answer. Been time poor.

What colour schemes do you want? I can match the units to the province if you like.

I agree Nuln is boring colour, but in the old days empire armies used to be mixed province, and its only 6th ed onwards where they made them dedicated armies.

Talabhiem - red and white
Middenland - blue and white

What else? A lot of white to paint there... do you like painting white?
Stirland seems the obvious choice to give truly diverse colours - green and yellow. But depends what fluff / colours you like....

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2020, 12:55:30 PM »
Quote: Warlord: What else? A lot of white to paint there... do you like painting white?

White and yellow are the worst. Check out errantgamer’s thread for a great yellow mix and application.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »
Yeah I admit white is a b**** to work with. Yellow is as well, and until recently, I stayed away from Red. GW has knocked red out of the part lately with their base color. And I don't mean I don't like them as secondary colors, just think they are hard to work with as a base color.

If white was easier to work with I would like to do a Reikland army. But I just think it would be a little boring after all that work too. But white uniforms and that black eagle....

I do like blues, greys, and that side of the spectrum.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2020, 02:12:48 PM »
Then go with Middenland.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2020, 02:28:26 PM »
Ok for one army, using the white wolves, right? What about the additional foot unit? Flagallents? Spearmen?

Should I give them crossbows instead of hand gunners?

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #395 on: February 27, 2020, 02:33:24 PM »
You know what? Screw it. I am doing Talabheim for my burner army. I prob wont want to do another. So for my main three - I will just to Reikland, Middleheim, and Marienburg. Just like Mordheim.

So the Reikland looking Knights go to Reikland, White Wolves to Middleheim, and Knights Panther to Marienburg???? Not sure if that makes sense. But they are decorative.

Then its a question of how who to give these to:

Helhammer - Seems legit for either Reikland or Marienburg, one has the military prowess the other the wealth
Mortar - Seems like a goof Middleheim or Reikland weapon
Greatswords - Reikland or Middlehiem?
Spearmen - I guess these could go anywhere, but they are kind of plain looking. And spearmen seem no nonsense - Reikland?
Flagellants - Def not Reikland to me. Not dressed well enough for Marienburg. Default to Middleheim?
Huntsmen - Marienburg. I could really pimp these guys out.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:42:54 PM by KTG17 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #396 on: February 27, 2020, 02:41:07 PM »
Sounds like you have more than two armies being built.  The disease has evidently afflicted you as well.

If you're going to have two Empire armies, then I'd go with two that are adjacent to each other on the map to have some sort of ongoing fight between the two provinces that you can re-enact on the table top.  Or have two armies with similar color scheme although different highlighting colors to have some sort of internal provincial struggle happening instead.

As an example, I have mostly Averland, but with Wissenland and Stirland units for fluff fights between provinces on the table top.  Occasionally I also factor in Solland as well, and this was done for "The Solland Effort of 2524".

Yes, Reikland Guard to Reikland, White Wolfs to Middenland, and if you're not into Knights Panther, then go hunting for the lists of Empire Knightly Orders and pick a different one.

I'm not sure what you're doing with the other units ... trying to make one army, an army with multiple provinces represented, multiple armies?

By the way, Middenheim is a city in Middenland, Middenland is the province.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #397 on: February 27, 2020, 02:43:53 PM »
You guys moved in quick I edited my post...

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #398 on: February 27, 2020, 02:44:30 PM »
Flagellants look good in drabs I think. Again, they are amongst my favourites. I’ve got a few classics, 6ed metals, and new dudes.

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #399 on: February 27, 2020, 02:47:07 PM »
You know what? Screw it. I am doing Talabheim for my burner army. I prob wont want to do another. So for my main three - I will just to Reikland, Middleheim, and Marienburg. Just like Mordheim.

So the Reikland looking Knights go to Reikland, White Wolves to Middleheim, and Knights Panther to Marienburg???? Not sure if that makes sense. But they are decorative.

Then its a question of how who to give these to:

Helhammer
Mortar
Greatswords
Spearmen
Flagellants
Huntsmen

:)

I cheat with my armies.
All my artillery is done in a set uniform of Red & Blue for Altdorf - then they can all 'support' other provinces - where the 'troops' are painted in Provincial colours.
I use a darker crimsony red to again differentiate from Altdorf or Talabheim troops for example.

Alternatively you could use Nuln colours (Black and Black and Black  :engel: ) for all your artillery and apply the same principle.

And again with 'special' units. They can be 'hired' from some fluffy central source.
Flagellants for example are hardly likely to wear uniforms or 'colours'.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:49:25 PM by Midaski »
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?