home

Author Topic: Capsus building options  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Datum

• Members
Capsus building options
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »
I'm keen to add a Captain on pegasus to my fledgling Empire army, and just wanted a couple of tips on the best way to go about building/converting the model.

Obviously there's no GW Empire specific model (which I'm aware of?), and my very crude research has basically given me three options as starting points.

• Bretonnian Pegasus Knight
  • Balthasar Gelt
  • Plain pegasus model (think it's listed under the Bretonnia section)

Gelt seems the worst starting point as there'll be a lot of model I don't want (plus it's the most expensive), so basically I guess I'm asking how people go about building the Captain on top?

I'm a relative novice with converting/green stuff etc so don't want anything overly ambitious.

Do standard IC Knights legs fit the pegasus? Then just kit bash the rest to make the Captain?

Pointers appreciated!

Offline madeinitaly1

• Members
Re: Capsus building options
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:55:01 AM »
i built mine with the Empire general's horse and just put a pair of wings on it  :happy:

Offline madeinitaly1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:08:49 PM »
Best two options are

Empire Generals Horse with added wings (looks Empire and wings can be bought separately from GW)

Second is the regular Pegasus that can be bought separately from GW, no need to get the Gelt version. It requires a small bit of work to fit it together but can look pretty good. (see my version below, I didn't use any green stuff, a bit of plastic for the seat and some random bits like bags and scrolls to hide gaps)

I personally think the Bret Pegasus is the easiest and cheapest to do as it's all made and ready but it looks like a Bret Pegasus and there's no way to not make it look like a Bret Pegasus.
My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"

Offline Datum

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:14:11 PM »
Two lovely mini's, thanks guys.

Hadn't thought of the General's horse with added wings, think that's possibly the easier option?

The legs of the rider and the base of the wings seem to want to be in exactly the same place, so it's either move the wings up the horses body a bit, or make the raised seat for the rider.

I'll give the general's horse idea a go, if nothing else at least I get another BSB model!

Cheers for the advice  :-D

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:34:08 PM »
I used general's horse and Gelt's wings. Now I have Balthazar on a (very small) horse.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »
I used the Bretonnian Pegasus with the Empire general's horse's head and the general himself.  I did a little green stuff work around the point where the wings connect to the body to allow for more movement and strength in the model.  I preferred the wings in a downward position.  I have two Captains on Pegasus' (one with wings up and one with them down) but this one is by far my favorite.  I also have the Balthesar Gelt model and it doesn't even come close to these others in my opinion.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »
I have seen the pistoliers horse used also and it looked good. sadly no picture available. steveb

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 06:49:25 PM »
You might want to check out this thread:  http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/?topic=29626.0

My favorite was done by loki_the_black.  Simply amazing!

Offline Datum

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
You might want to check out this thread:  http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/?topic=29626.0

My favorite was done by loki_the_black.  Simply amazing!

Thanks for all the help. Great thread with some awesome mini's, Loki definitely sets the standard!

As a slight aside; how do most people equip their capsus? Keep him to a minimum, i.e. full plate, shield and lance?

Offline madeinitaly1

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 08:54:39 AM »
well, if i play a captain i give him dragon helm, dawnstone, and +1 to hit sword (this one hunts war machines and light cavalries)
if he is a general i give him 1+,4++,5 points magic sword and van horstmann speculum (this one hunts enemy big nasty characters )

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 10:12:01 PM »
there is another option, use the engineers horse and fabricate some mechanical wings, I have done it and it looks pretty good   steveb