home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296445 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Halfling Owlgryph)
« Reply #950 on: May 23, 2017, 11:06:45 PM »
You should definitely get more of those old giants, because giants are *your* thing and so far I think I have more of them than you do ;)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #951 on: May 25, 2017, 12:36:15 AM »
This has nothing to do with this immediate thread but as soon as I saw it I thought 023! 

http://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/death/
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #952 on: June 06, 2017, 01:19:10 AM »
This has nothing to do with this immediate thread but as soon as I saw it I thought 023! 

http://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/death/

They have a number of great looking figures, thanks. I had not heard of them before.

I'm starting on my (first?) unit of half-orc mercenaries. These are sold as "Orcs of the Crimson Wave" from Black Tree. I think they're pretty close to my idea of half-orcs.

I'm going to try using a mix of skin tones. These are my first two experiments.

The others I've been thinking about are these orcs (and maybe the greater orcs) from Scotia Grendel.

http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=221_222_46_203_204&sort=20a&page=1

The concept behind the half orcs is multi-faceted. One is that sometimes Marienbug gets very desperate for mercenaries. Another is a role as one of the most logical allies for the Fomorians/Fimir. Also, they're good for brigands or raiders in the Wasteland.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:23:04 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Half-Orcs)
« Reply #953 on: June 06, 2017, 01:27:40 AM »
Nice units! I like the brown toned skin colour. Very revealing.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #954 on: June 06, 2017, 02:46:33 AM »
I like the brownish (maybe orangish) skin tone as well.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #955 on: June 14, 2017, 11:39:49 AM »

Very slow progress on the half-orc unit. Base flesh colors done, still have highlighting & details.

I think I need to come up with a name & background for this small mercenary regiment.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #956 on: June 20, 2017, 04:34:38 AM »
I finished (almost) the two half-orcs I started with, because I wanted to see how they would turn out. Pretty happy with the results. Still haven't decided on a regiment name or emblem, but I do know I want red for what little color they have.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:06:01 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #957 on: June 20, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
The paint job makes them look like true savages but still the kind of guys that you could reason with if you had to.  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #958 on: July 04, 2017, 04:41:51 AM »

Slow progress on the half orcs.

As I've been painting them, I've been thinking that I'd like to add some more half-orcs of varying appearance and size. Initially I was thinking about some smaller half-orcs, but tonight it struck me that I might slip in one or two of the larger Tre Manor brutes that I like using for conversions/Formorication. So...

Hard to tell from the pic, but he's noticeably larger than the rest of them. I took this pic with the big guy on a 40x40, but after cleaning him up and looking at him in the unit, I opted to glue him to a 20x40 base instead and it seems to keep a more consistent density in the unit. I may throw a second Reaper-Manor orc in there too.

So, I'm still on the hunt for other options. I've previously mentioned the Scotia-Grendel orcs, but I think I will hold off on those for a unit of their own. They've got a different aesthetic, almost like an Ian Miller influenced orc. So I'd like to get a bunch, but keep them as a separate half-orc project.* As far as mixing with these, I think I will go back to Reaper for some of the old Bob Olley sculpted orcs. In fact, I think I may pick up a shaman, also by Olley, because I really like this figure...

I also spotted this half-orc while browsing the site, and I think she will end up in the unit too...

As far as some other, smaller half-orcs, I'm still wondering if maybe some of the old Asgard orcs might fit the role... http://www.thevikingforge.net/25mm-fantasy-orcs.html

*FWIW, I 'm getting further into the idea of creating specific mercenary companies or regiments rather than just painting figures and calling them "mercenaries" and being done with it. I'm OK keeping all the generic landsknechts I've got on that basis. But I think my new projects will all have more to them. So the current batch of half-orcs are getting a backstory developed as I paint, similar to the way I've been working on the Scrobbleton Jackrabbit Trading Company for the hobbits. This has a secondary effect of giving me an outlet for putting down some of the geography and cultural background that I've had in my head.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #959 on: July 04, 2017, 06:56:09 AM »
Damn you 023. You are making me strongly consider buying a unit of these guys.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #960 on: July 04, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »
Scale shot of the big guys, I've got two I can put in the unit.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #961 on: July 05, 2017, 12:20:54 AM »
That female half orc is a great model, Ive been using mithril miniatures in my army to represent exotic mercenaries. Are there any lesser known races in warhammer? that half orcs would work for? I'd love to use some of these models. I really like your half orc regiment as usual your work is excellent.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #962 on: July 05, 2017, 03:31:53 AM »
As in what stats, etc? When half-orcs were last seen in the game, they were pretty much like a variety of human mercenary. Assuming I play any games at some point, the exact rules will depend on the game, but for WFB I'll use the old mercenaries as a starting point. Here's part of the 3rd ed. half-orc mercenary list as an example:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #963 on: July 05, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »
That regiment is coming together nicely, I think the few big'uns will look good in there.

Having a number of mercenary regiments, all half-orcs or not, with different backgrounds sounds like good fun. I'm interested in the origins of Warhammer Half-Orcs as a a race - in D&D they were individual mongrels often of unfortunate birth, in Lord of the Rings they are "bred" by Saruman, but neither origin really explains large numbers of them running around loose. Are there half-orc towns? Or just areas where humans and orcs mingle  freely? Or...?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #964 on: July 05, 2017, 08:02:43 PM »
Much of that background depends on what Orcs are. In LotR, they are broken elves - and so are, essentially, Dark Elves in the WFB setting. They can breed with humans - they are genetically compatible (although such terms would not be used, of course).

If that is the case, then ostracized individuals could gather together and communities could grow up. Perhaps they breed prolifically.

If Orcs are a fungoid/mammal symbiote, then a human being infected with the fungus could be a "half orc" and so the communities are the result of infection or eating particular things.

It might also be that "half-orc" is less precise a term than we think - it could be a whole mis-mass of ostracized individuals of various kinds and lineages which band together for protection.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #965 on: July 05, 2017, 10:38:11 PM »
Much of that background depends on what Orcs are. In LotR, they are broken elves - and so are, essentially, Dark Elves in the WFB setting. They can breed with humans - they are genetically compatible (although such terms would not be used, of course).

If that is the case, then ostracized individuals could gather together and communities could grow up. Perhaps they breed prolifically.

If Orcs are a fungoid/mammal symbiote, then a human being infected with the fungus could be a "half orc" and so the communities are the result of infection or eating particular things.

It might also be that "half-orc" is less precise a term than we think - it could be a whole mis-mass of ostracized individuals of various kinds and lineages which band together for protection.

Are there any other species in fantasy that arent already represented by existing mini's? As ZeroTwentythree posted they did exist in fantasy what happened? I really want to add a detachment of them in my army, they would make great exotic mercenaries.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #966 on: July 05, 2017, 11:37:50 PM »
What happened? They got simplified out of existence. Or at least, out of gaming significance, which is the same thing. They went the same way as Gnomes; Zoats; Estalians, Tileans (and other lesser old world nations); the Norse (as opposed to Chaos Marauders); Nippon and Cathay; Chaos Centaurs; Ogres (for a couple of editions); the previous interpretations of Lizardmen, Troglodytes and Slann; Pygmies; Amazons... even Halflings and Hobgoblins got relegated to other people's cannon fodder. Oh and Chaos Dwarves... but I always loathed Chaos Dwarves as a concept and I'd be happy to see them wiped from the records ;)

It's not illogical - some of the "main" races were already unpopular as models, and as the Citadel Miniatures range moved from RPG / D&D models used for Warhammer mass combat to models made specifically for Warhammer mass combat, a cull was inevitable. How many options for "good guy with crossbow" or "bad guy with axe" does a game really need? Individual army books gave more scope to develop the character of races and armies, with heavier stereotyping and less overlap.

A shame, because the Warhammer Armies book 023 uses is in many ways the zenith of Warhammer army design.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #967 on: July 10, 2017, 04:56:14 AM »
Individual army books gave more scope to develop the character of races and armies, with heavier stereotyping and less overlap.

This is one of my two biggest complaints about the move to the individual army books.

A shame, because the Warhammer Armies book 023 uses is in many ways the zenith of Warhammer army design.

I think 3rd edition in general was the zenith of the game. For smooth play-ability, I have usually said I would prefer the 6th or 7th edition rulebooks (without 7th ed. army books.) But I'm starting to rethink that. 6th & 7th were good for those quick 2 or 2.5 hour tournament games, or pick-up games at the local store. But 3rd ed. was like investing 4 hours into a detailed battle that was as rich and rewarding as a good RPG session. Which is probably why WFB3 appealed to my friends and I over the other games we tried at the time. We were RPG people drifting into wargaming, and WFB3 was the best fit.

I agree with Shadespyre that it was inevitable. More from a business/efficiency standpoint. To become the popular giant that it was, Citadel/GW had to streamline & simplify. But I think it was also the nature of the gaming community. As the popularity grew, and as WFB drifted into the competitive/tournament domain rather than the original RPG/narrative domain, it's what the larger market wanted. I remember not that long ago reading plenty of rants about why Bretonnia & DoW were unnecessary because there was already a "human faction" in the game. That's "the meta"  ::heretic:: talking. Stats. No regard for fluff.  So I guess their death was also inevitable from the standpoint of the growing tournament obsessed, "official miniatures only," metal-fanatics too.

ON to the new...

As you can all see, I am yet another victim of the Death Throes of Photobucket. So for now I have a decent backup plan for new photos, and will be looking for alternative options for new, flexible image hosting. To be honest, this is not unexpected, and I'm surprised Photobucket is even still around. At any rate, I still have a lot of my old photos and entries available on my blog at...

http://www.zerotwentythree.com/

SO... on to what I've been doing. Well, if you clicked that link above, you are probably up to date.  ;) But for the LAF rundown...

Travelling for work, but finally painted a little. More half-orcs. I decided to mix a few of the (unaltered) Tre Manor orcs into the unit as larger "brutes." These were originally slated for conversion fodder for the Fomorians, but I think I will be getting Bones versions of them when the KS reward arrives. To be honest, it is a relief to be able to use them as-is. I think Manor's orcs are some of my favorite current minis -- or ever. Tragically they don't quite fit into my own theoretical campaign/gaming plans. But I am finding ways to make them fit. Too well sculpted not to use in some way or another!

So, as far as the new two "half"-orc recruits go, added here to the Black Tree core of the mercenaries...

I think they fit well! Larger than the average trooper, but not really out of scale. More like a believable diversity of troops. I think they're a good fit in stylistic terms as well! I'm hoping to do the same with a few smaller figures.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #968 on: July 10, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »
They look good together like that! :icon_cool:  :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #969 on: July 10, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »
I appreciate your insight into the various editions of the game, and your half orcs look great, they have really inspiried me to add a exotic mecenary regiment into my army even if its just humans from a different manufacturer.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #970 on: July 10, 2017, 01:44:18 PM »
Can a half orc be a warrior priest? Likely not but that one with the sheild and straight sword has the look and feel.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #971 on: July 16, 2017, 06:41:31 AM »
In the old list, they could have a shaman. I have what appears to be an awesome figure to use for that on the way.

I'm also getting increasingly interested in more varied mercenary units. Not sure what's next, but I'm sure I'll be doing more.

A few more half-orcs done. Just five more left -- including the three command figures. Plus I need to do a banner (and maybe go back and paint designs on the shields.)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #972 on: July 16, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
These guys are great!!
I can actually see them with round bases too (!!??⚔️☠️)
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #973 on: July 16, 2017, 09:03:20 PM »
Thanks!

Done with Rotghar's Headhunters -- the half-orcs -- other than adding a standard and possibly some insignia on some of the shields. So... I guess 98% done?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #974 on: July 16, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »
They look really, really good 023.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.