home

Author Topic: Wissenland patrol  (Read 12333 times)

Offline Maaaaaat

• Members
Wissenland patrol
« on: May 09, 2010, 01:52:25 PM »
Hello all, this is the beginning of my Wissenland army! The plan is to construct a small unit probably no more than 500 points. My initial thoughts were to create an army based on a marine river patrol, guarding the Upper Reik from pirates and the like, so swordsmen and infantry would be the main port of call over knights. I haven't really decided for certain yet though.

Right, here are my first units!

My Empire captain, this model is one of the old Mordheim youngbloods.

A Handgunner detachment, probably for my swordsman unit

And finally, my WIP standard bearer, again this will probably be in my swordsman unit

I've been a long time warhammer collector, but of average skill so all input and advise would be greatfully received, I'm having particular problems with painting faces effectively

Offline Valetus

• Members
Re: Wissenland patrol
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »
Try a wash on the faces, simple but effective. If you are feeling like a further stage do a light drybrush of the base colour when the wash is fully dry.

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »
Good work

Is that the Ludwig Schwarzelm banner?
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0

Offline Maaaaaat

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the faces, i hope they start to improve! and yes its the Ludwig model, just plonked on a pair of legs, i still need to green stuff his waist so it flows a bit more naturally though!

Okay, here's my swordsman unit, it was at first made completely out of older edition models, however i have began rebuilding the unit, replacing their torsos with that from the greatswords and their arms with that of the new statetroops. i still think the old state troopers legs poofyness makes them far superior to the current range so they've stayed.

the conversion before and after.

And the unit as it currently stands:

I've also built and painted a unit of huntsmen, I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out

I've also been in the process of building a mordheim warband, its going to follow the Marienburg rules but be painted in Wissenland colours. the first model i posted is obviously the young blood of the unit. this is one of the champions, hes kitbashed from about 4 different boxes i think.

Finally i am currently working on a lancers unit for the patrol converted out of the pistolier set. the test model has had his pistol removed and his hand drilled through, i have then inserted a piece of brass tube with the speartop from the statetroops on top. it looks pretty good so far but i am unsure as to use them as a poor circle of Wissenland knights; or to load them up with pistol holsters and say they just count as pistoliers.

Again anyfeedback would be absolutely great, thanks chaps!!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
dude...i love your conversions keep posting inspiring  :smile2:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 02:55:10 PM »
I don't really have any tips, though the wash suggestion improved my painting a lot and find it to be the simplest and biggest jump in skill I've ever had.  They look good, keep up the good work.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 05:35:05 PM »
Really like the new captain.
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0

Offline Hauptmann Gustl

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 05:47:14 PM »
Yes, indeed. The captain with the pistol looks awesome.  :::cheers::: I think I am going to copy him, if you don't mind.

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »
Agreed!  He looks great!!

Offline Weedeeo

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
6Th ed. figures, sweet!
Nice conversions, though not the best in quality, the painting will also look good on tabletop.
I had just thought of doing a similar captain equipped with a pistol, what a wonderful idea then.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:19:18 PM by Weedeeo »

Offline Maaaaaat

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 04:22:55 PM »
Cheers for the feedback guys, it's really encouraging. I'm still fiddling away with the models i've already posted, just highlights and such to try and get them look a bit more detailed.

Anyway here is the first of my pistolier conversions, the idea is he look slike a 19th century european lancer.

Im still completely unsure what to use them as in game terms, i was thinking possibly dogs of war cavalry...or knights... of they just count as pistoliers!!! any ideas or ways to improve the model would be great!
Thanks again lads.

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 05:52:38 PM »
Those conversions are looking really nice. Really minor point but you should cut the grass bits off the horses hooves and file down some of the cast lines.

I notice that on the captain on foot you have been skilled enough to paint the teeth. Have you tried any other details such as eyes on character models. My favourite speed method for these is dotting the eye in with black and then putting two very small dots of white either side. I know that dosn't sound right but it is quick and easy and really makes the eye stand out as it is surounded by a fine black border (not quite eye shadow though...) This is what I did on all my empire models.

Really good conversions.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »
MAn i do like the Cav models ..inspiring .. now how would you use them??? good question  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Outrider

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36:16 PM »
MAn i do like the Cav models ..inspiring .. now how would you use them??? good question  :::cheers:::

Dogs of war light cavalry. I've been pondering this convertion myself, after seeing this I think I most definately will be. Is that a white wolf left arm?
Scattered firepower = Wasted firepower

RufAs the Eccentric, gone but not forgotten

Offline Maaaaaat

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 10:51:46 AM »

Once again thanks for the feedback guys; the units coming along nicely now, i've completed the musician and the champion. Just the last two lancers left! I think i will be using them as Dogs of War light cavalry but who really knows...

@Valetus, thanks for the hints, i just completed a Mordheim Marienburg captain using your eye technique, it worked pretty well so thanks!

@Outrider, i actually used the arms from the state troop boxed set for that model. But the white wolf arm idea was great, i used it for my champion as it matched the sleeved archer sword arm he has perfectly.

Pictures will follow shortly!!

Offline Maaaaaat

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »
Just a quick update, the latest model in my Mordheim warband. he is my second youngblood; kitbashed from the archers, greatswords and statetroop sprues!

Thanks chaps!

Offline Hooch

• Members
  • Formerly Hoochlander
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Really like your stuff, you've nailed Wissenland without making it look too bland, the dark grey still provides enough of a contrast with the clean white, very nice.

Especially love the Mordheim models used as characters. I just wish I'd known I was doing an Empire army before they shut down the service, I just have to hunt eBay now...

Keep up the good work  :happy:

Hooch

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 06:30:33 PM »
Love the spearman, nice dynamic pose

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 06:32:15 PM »
Hey, so Ludwig's pose can work without that abomination on the banner! Good job getting rid of it! :-)

Offline Maaaaaat

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
 Again thanks for the comments guys, it much appreciated!!!
Here's a few more of my models, firstly some more additions to my Mordheim warband, i must admit this has been getting more attention recently than my wissenland army. this includes the warbands captain and his faithful hound!
Secondly there is my recently completed greatsword unit, i still think their armour needs a highlight of mithril silver and im going to attempt some of the facial details but apart from that im pretty pleased with them.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:51 PM »
Yay Wissenland  :::cheers:::

Some really nice stuff here. Keep it up, I'll be using your stuff for inspiration in the coming months.
The Barony of Sonnefurt - My Army Background

Sonnefurt in Flames- An Epic Tale of Sonnefurt

Le Pistolet's Monotonous Wissenland Log- My Minis