home

Author Topic: Ost Averland Black Mountains Garrison, DOW Pikes and Platemail  (Read 65419 times)

Offline Zoring

• Members
Ost Averland Black Mountains Garrison, DOW Pikes and Platemail
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:37:03 AM »
Hello chaps, i have embarked on my first WFB army. On my round the world trip a visit to Warhammer world let me see the Dogs of War pikemen up close in the cabinets, it was there i decided that those were the models for me. I will be playing these chaps as an Empire army when their done unless GW gives us a new DOW army book.

Men and Artillery will be the order of the day, Dogs of War pikemen combined with various historical miniatures as well, i will be utilizing some Perry miniatures, Kingmaker and Crusader miniatures.

Currently i have a mere 40ish men and one artillery gun. But this will eventually and hopefully expand into some sort of enormous force with Pikes, Cannons, Mortars Crossbows and Pistoliers.

The colour scheme is black armour with silver trim and white and yellow leggings.

So unto some fluff and pictures.

The people that live around the mountains are free of the foppishness which is common in the rest of Averland, living in the foothills of the mountains leads to a more rugged existence. This does lead to a tendency towards roughness which is looked down upon by the rest of Averland. The people are like much of the Empire, farming and logging for money. The far flung nature of the land results in a few less of the comforts that the central Empire has. The nobility of Ost Averland tends to have a desire to emulate their more wealthy lowland neighbours and will often be as garishly dressed as possible.

The terrain of the mountain foothills however means that their is a distinct lack of horses, as a result the forces from East of Averland tend to be lacking in cavalry. For the Garrisons of the mountains. this usually presents little problem as the mountains are unsuitable for horses.

The Ost Averland Black Mountains Garrison is responsible for the defence of the Black Mountains smaller passes and mountains, it is not however as famous as the men who defend the main route into the Empire the Black Fire pass defenders. The defence of the smaller passes is a never ending job and the troops end up accruing a lot of combat experience in the mountains.

The garrison forces comprise of two major forces the main garrison forces who man the Passes and Forts and the Mountain Legion who patrol the mountains themselves. The troops weapon of choice is the pike whose lack of maneuverability is not an issue in the mountain passes and whose reach is vital when dealing with Trolls or other large beasts.

The men of the Garrison is well supplied with funds and armour from the Averland government, as they understand the importance of maintaining the defences of the mountains. The Garrison maintains as much heavy and plate armour as possible in the fortresses, as although heavy armour is useless when fighting against blackpowder weapons the enemies that the garrison fights are rarely equipped with such.

The Garrison favours crossbows over handguns, this is due to the logistics problem of supplying gunpowder to the high mountain passes, fletchers have a permanent place in these forts manufacturing bolts from the mountain pines and the various birds of the region. The gunpowder that the forts keep on hand is reserved for the cannons and mortars which are kept in large numbers in the fortifications, vital for defending the choke points in which the Forts are constructed.

Despite the lack of horses the Garrison does keep a small of cavalry on duty as scouting forces mounted on small agile horses. Either drawn from the minor nobility of Ost Averland and formed from men of Pistolier corps or common men of the garrison troops equipped in the same way.

Although not a glamorous military presence in the Empire, the Garrison does present a good level of training and fighting ability, in field battles they will perform un-remarkably but reliably. When fighting in the mountains and narrow passes the experience and tactics of the men does much to improve their effectiveness.

The colours of the Garrison are the Yellow of Averland and White, often locally used to represent Ost Averland. This is then combined with the flat red of the Garrison.

Alpenkorps Pikeman
A soldier of the mountain legion, these troops spend their time mountaineering the high peaks, keeping watch, reporting and small scale skirmishes with the various monsters that inhabit the cliffs and peaks. Whilst in the mountains the troops use axes or swords with shields, however when deployed in a conventional battle line they form a pike block. Their armour is much lighter then the men that defend the passes and they wear furs made from bear skin. In battle however the furs are discarded and only the headpiece is retained. Note this soldier retains some of his mountaineering equipment in his pack.

Garrison Pikeman
A Pikeman of the Garrison forces, responsible for defence of the forts and passes. Equipped with a pike and heavy armour, this is less of a burden on a force deployed primarily defensively, as they aren't often required to march on long campaigns with it. The heavy armour proves invaluable fighting the various Orc, Goblin, Troll and other enemies that are encountered in the passes. The bandannas and cloths are decorated with the colours of the Black Mountains garrison.

Garrison Pikeman with Pavise

A Pikeman with a Pavise shield. Pavise shields are often employed by the Garrison for their pike blocks in static positions and their Crossbowmen. The shields provided an extra level of protection from thrown or fired missiles and are often gaudily decorated.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:26:24 AM by Zoring »

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
Re: Ost Averland Black Mountains Garrison, DOW Pikes and Platemail
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:21:03 AM »
Wow, the detail on that shield! Glorious!  :-o

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
Very nice!

That's a Hussite decal on the pavaise, isn't it? From the Kingmaker range.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 01:45:31 PM »
And did the decal come that weathered? They look really good and the writing is to to :)
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »
WOw what everyone ells said ..well done  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 05:35:16 AM »
Thank you chaps, i plan on updating my painting as it goes and bits and pieces of fluff, as i've always enjoyed when other people do that.

Here is all the pavises i have at the moment all finished.

If only i had hand painted these! I'd be entering some Golden Demon :P but i'm not that talented, they are pavises by Kingmaker miniatures and the hussite decals made specifically for them by LittleBigMen in the UK, i liked them particulary because they do look hand painted which is very nice.

They do come quite weathered like that, a bit of staining is mine by adding a few streaks or splodges of brown on the white surface.

Get painting!

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 06:18:12 AM »
Great work, I can't wait to see more.

This is the first I've herd of Kingmaker, their medieval's look great. I'll have to get a hold of some of their decals.

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »
The black armour is very nicely done and the little details such as the white stripe on the yellow cloth is are good additions.

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »
I have annexed part of Averland for myself :P

Map of Ost Averland

A map showing the rough sphere of Eastern Averland, although not an officialy recognized division within Averland the population has it's own Reikspiel dialect and customs, as can be seen the major cities of the region encompass the massive Garrison and fortifications of Grenzstadt and Hochsleben and Merfeld. With the rest of the population being dispersed in the foothills in smaller villages.

Although the people have to contend with the monsters of the mountains who manage to get through the Garrison troops the land is mercifully free of Beastmen infestation, due to a much smaller area of forests then in the Central Empire

Garrison Pikemen rank up

The key to pike fighting is discipline and trust. The soldiers are heavily drilled to ensure they hold their ranks and fill any gaps left by killed or wounded comrades. They know that to prevent their ranks being broken they must have implicit faith in the man to their side and behind them.

Alpenkorps Pikemen, Christian and Johann

These two Alpenkorps men display their armour and equipment, including their bearskin headpieces. Christians rucksack features a sewn patch incorporating the Imperial Cross, stiched by his wife. Although officially discouraged many of the soldiers wives and girlfriends live and work in the forts. Providing invaluable service repairing, washing clothes and [reparing meals for the soldiers.

Here is my artillery piece project, my Howitzer which will count as a Mortar. It is from the Kingmaker range again their hussite artillery piece. Mounted on a chariot base with a barricade made from pieces of sprue with Green stuff on the top and a few cocktail sticks pushed in. The trail hook i drilled out with a pinvoice and put in a stake to help compensate for the recoil.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:21:06 AM by Zoring »

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 01:21:20 PM »
Looks excellent, but I think there might be some complication with the rules when it comes to the crewmen being on their own base. Maybe that was a 7th ed. thing, I don't remember.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
Great stuff.

I've been meaning to buy some of the kingmaker models for ages.

but I think there might be some complication with the rules when it comes to the crewmen being on their own base.

Crew don't really exist anymore, so it doesn't matter at all if they are fixed to the base. Just use counters or dice or something to show wounds suffered by the machine. Though it wasn't that much of a hassle in 7th and earlier anyway.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »
Sweet, I have some converting to do.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »
Hullo chaps, the Howitzer is now complete, with crew all glued down and all, pretty pleased with how it came out. this will be how i do the rest of the bases i imagine. I will be using it in my army as a counts as mortar (or perhaps cannon if i need an extra one :P).

The crew are glued down and covered in a bit of soot. But the cannon is not glued so i can put it up in a tower or somewhere precarious.

Also you can spot Bertie on a rock there.

A Howitzer of the Garrison

A howitzer of the garrison troops, the howitzer is a weapon that is gaining popularity in the Empire, capable of firing explosive shells with a higher level of accuracy than a mortar although with a lower trajectory whilst retaining the abililty to fire canister shot like a cannon. The garrison maintains as many guns as possible in the fortresses, mounted on the battlements, plus a number kept limbered up for sallies or field work.

A Howitzer of the Garrison

This howitzer is dug in to a small revetment made from earth and fitted with stakes. This is a common precaution and helps protect against enemy shot and to force cavalry to move around the side, hopefully buying the crew some time to escape.

Howitzer Crew

The garrison maintains a high standard of training for the crew, however in battle things still happen, young Karl the loader had to bite open a bag of powder when he dropped his knife during the battle, resulting in him getting a mouthfull of blackpowder, he is now eyeing the howitzer with some suspicion. The crew wears various levels of armour depending on how close they need to be to the cannon during firing. Inevitably their uniforms end up covered in soot from the powder.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:23:52 AM by Zoring »

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 02:07:42 PM »
The horde grows.

More pikes painted, some other projects have been distracting me but these are coming along at a reasonable rate, got the bases done, want to put a few more stones down though.

I have some awesome historical models lined up and ordered that i'm looking forward to receiving, they will fit in perfectly with the lads i've got so far as well.

Garrison Pikemen Form Rank

Standing together in tight formation allows the overlapping pikes to support each other, giving anything that attempts to get close a good stabbing.

Musiker Emmerich

As with any regiment in the Empire the musician plays a useful role. The notes of the trumpet playing specific tunes is distinct and clear over the noise of the battlefield. Commands for Advance, Retreat, Form Rank and more are all learnt by the pikemen as part of their basic training. Musiker Emmerich's Trumpet is adorned with a hand stitched tabard displaying the Imperial Cross.

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 10:03:19 PM »
I very much like your Rico's  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:  nice platemail painted.  The Howitzer is awesome as well...  overall painting is excellent but these stick out.   brilliant  :eusa_clap:
Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 06:18:25 AM »
Thank you Henerius

Here is a photo I took outside in the natural light for a bit of an experiment, made the drum and his knuckles quite shiny but came out ok. Normally when i take my photos it's in the middle of the night after some mad painting session.

Musiker Hausmann

The Alpenkorps traditionally uses a trumpet whilst mountaineering simply for the convenience whilst mountaineering, however drums are favoured whilst on campaign, as they can also be used to keep the cadance of the march whilst not in combat. Musiker Hausmann's tunic displays the ubiqutious Imperial Cross on his left sleeve, a common device that the men like to have embroidered on articles of their white clothing.

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 04:56:27 AM »
I have painted up all my Republican Guard, oh daylight photography be a cruel mistress. This is all the Republican Guard i have at the moment, anyone got some they want to get rid of! Want to get the block up to 40 in the future.

Set Pikes!

The Black Mountain garrison forces were present in the campaign against Grom the Paunch in the Imperial year of 2040-2042. Fighting under Prince Wilhelm of Reikland the Ost Averland pikes took heavy losses in the Battle of Bloody gorge.

Garrison Pikemen

As a result of this campaign the Black Garrison forces was significantly reinforced into a heavier permanent armed force to form an increased presence in the mountains. The result of this is an greater ability to provide greater warning for future incursions and a better bulwark against Orcish and other aggression.

Horde in the making

Despite being heavy the Pavise provides excellent protection against incoming missle fire

Offline Hirwain

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »
I love the pikeman unit, it looks fantastic.

If you don't mind sharing, how did you do the armour?
Also where did you get all the pavises from?

Thanks
“Ah, yes, mere infantry — poor beggars” Titus Maccius Plautus (c. 254–184 BCE)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »
They look like real tiny soldiers....great work.

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments chaps, keeps me motivated.

The shields are Kingmaker miniatures whilst the decals are made for the shields by a company called little big men studios, i got them from this website.

http://www.1stcorps.co.uk/

The armour is so easy its basically cheating. (because im a lazy painter :P) its simply black undercoat, drybushed boltgun, then drybushed with chainmail, then i go and re-paint chaos black on all the central armour to leave the edging silver, a neater painter would get a pretty good result with it i think.

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »
Been a bit distracted with my Aeronautica Painting but the Garrison is still getting some love, going to put up some more pics of them as well, absolutely love these archer models, reminded me of the fun of multi-part plastic models (if a bit more hassle!)

Alpenkrieg Jäger Schule

The Mountain Warfare Huntsmen School is an institution run and organized by the professional soldiers and huntsmen of Ost Averland. Due to it's location in the dangerous Black Mountains the Garrison is the perfect location to provide a unique training experience.

Taking trained huntsmen and archers from across the provinces of the Empire the Schule trains the men in the stalking, hunting, tracking and despatching of monsters and creatures rarer in other parts of the Empire, nearly all huntsmen are experts in dealing with the common beastmen that plague the forests, but the mountains are host to Orcs, Goblins, Trolls and other beasts rarer in the heartland.

It is no place for beginners however, the mountains are a dangerous place. In addition to teaching the Jäger provided a very active role as scouts and lookouts for the Garrison forces, often accompanying the Alpenkorps on it's patrols. In field engagements and campaigns the Jäger continue their role as scouts, provide much desired supplements to rations and form a skirmish line in battle.

My next unit teaser:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:30:04 PM by Zoring »

Offline Vredesbyrd

• Members
  • Chair for the Public Misunderstanding of Magic
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 06:14:05 PM »
I... I... I think I love you. :unsure: :biggriin:

I adore the old Dogs of War models and yours look brilliant. The little snippets of fluff, as well as the little touches like the Imperial Crosses, really help to bring the models to life, and as many people have previously stated those pavise look brilliant.

The Jäger Schule look very cool and the fluff behind them makes them even cooler. Did you make the skirmishing movement tray yourself?
My Nordland Empire Log
The Emperor's Schilling
Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »
Very nice look to these guys. :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:

I like the yellow and white stripes, maybe harkening back to Solland.  The red is interesting, yet not sure there is enough black for the yellow and black of Averland, but perhaps the color of the armor can count.  The little black crosses is a great touch!  Also, the grey cross on the horn blowers banner might be better in black, cause it reminds me more of Wissenland than Averland.

Really like the huntsmen!  I like how they are in skirmish formation on the nicely based movement tray.  :::cheers:::

The mortar is also very well done.  Definitely want to pick up one of those some day. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Firey Baps

• Members
  • Quo Fata Vocant
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »
Awesome work man! I think I need to procure some Huntsmen myself.
The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »
Thanks for the kind words fellows :) Thanks Vredesbyrd when I saw the DoW Pikemen in the cabinets at Warhammer World I knew I had finally found a WHFB I wanted to do. Glad the fluff is up to snuff too, I do enjoy coming up with it, the whole idea of the School came about just came from staring at the models and alternative colour schemes and it all spilled out from that. I did quite enjoy painting the Wissenland scheme too, maybe for the next project, or some detachments? Hmm!

The movement tray is a standard GW modular one, but with the gaps inbetween the models measured out and then the gaps filled with foamcard, should have taken a WIP pic! Oh it is magnatized too with those magnetic sheets.

Gamespoet, When I thought of doing them with black armour I did think that having black leggings would be too indistinct, and so i went with the White instead, then I needed a reason hence, Ost Averland :D I have considered a Solland nobleman still clinging on too, maybe my BSB might be. I might darken up the horn blowers Cross a little, and highlight the edges some more.

Baps, thank you :) They are very cool models, even if they may be kind of useless in game!

Hauptmann Hans Ritter von Althaus

One of the senior teachers at the school is Hans Ritter von Althaus is a central Averland Captain with a great amount of experience. Formally a leader of a Jäger group in the central forests of the Empire von Althaus was Knighted for his continued service in Beastman eradication. Upon this he was transferred to the Alpenkrieg Schule to lend his experience to the soldiers there. Unlike the more utilitarian dress of the Ost Averland von Althaus wears the typical flamboyant clothing and feathered cap typical of Averland.

Huntsmen of the Scuhle

On the left can be seen two Ost Averland Jäger, showing the typical predeliction towards practicality, leather sleeves and steel helmets are untypical of Huntsmen in the Empire but the Ost Averlanders are firm believers in protection over flamboyance. The huntsmen from Wissenland and Ostermark are distinguished by their State colours feathering and their slash and puff sleeves.

Jäger

Second from the left are Georg the Ostland huntsmen and his Terrier, Rex. An experienced hunter from the Northern province of Ostland, Georg is always accompanied by his small terrier, who's keen nose is trained to sniff out Greenskins, an invaluable aid.

Second form the right is Pieter from Stirland, the rustic red-headed Pieter is a little eccentric by the standards of the other Jäger, his rustic upbringing means he is never more happy then when he has a delicious turnip to eat. Despite this he is an excellent marksman and a valuable addition to the Jäger troop.

Equipment

All Jäger in the Empire learn to live off the land and the men of the Schule are no exception, they carry with them all the tools and equipment needed to survive in the field, mallets, hatchets, and knives are common accoutrements, you can also see the soldiers carrying supplemental rations slung from their belts. On the left the Ost Averland huntsmen is carrying a large Fascinemesser, a large cleaver designed for cutting branches and under-brush.