home

Author Topic: stretch_135 Blog (Pic Heavy) (Updated 04/05/2017)  (Read 59612 times)

Offline Duce

• Members
Re: stretch_135 Blog (Pic Heavy) (Tournie report 13/09/2009)
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2009, 12:52:36 PM »
better have painted those jigsaws you got  :evil:
Northern Ireland Blood Bowl League Experience - NIBBLE
http://nibble.playsboard.com/forum.htm

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2009, 10:59:38 PM »
better have painted those jigsaws you got  :evil:

They're next in line  :-( I want to go absolutely hard-core on my SM once I finish the Swords/Flaggies, but time, time, time.....*sigh*

Hey, why aren't I painting *right now*?

BRB.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2010, 02:27:21 AM »
Hopefully I'll have some more news + photos just after Christmas.

Well, that didn't happen. I'm still working on my Flaggies in whatever spare time I can scrounge together, but the flesh areas are incredibly fiddly. I've signed up to the 2010 painting challenges thread, so I'm hoping it'll encourage me to spend every spare waking moment I have painting this year. At a rough guess I won't really get anywhere until uni starts again in early March....the irony being I'll have more spare time while I'm studying. Long shot goal: Flaggies and Swords finished by then. Wish me luck!
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2010, 09:31:57 AM »
And we're back. In latest updates:

Yeah. Take that productivity.

In all seriousness, that jar is stripping a SM Librarian and the Missile Rack from one of the previous edition Whirlwinds. The plan for the moment is to go hardcore on SMs once the unit of Swords and the unit of Flaggies are finished. Probably Dreadnaughts/Tacticals/Rhinos to start with, but we'll see.

Speaking of the Swords and Flaggies...my goal for this month (Linky) was to finish the flesh and eyes on the Flaggies/Swords. My recipe for flesh is Bestial Brown->Dwarf Flesh->Bronzed Flesh->Light Coat (almost a glaze) of Elf Flesh (this being to dampen the slightly yellowish hue from the Bronzed Flesh). I've been pretty happy with how this has turned out on the units I've used it on so far.

Currently I've finished the Dwarf Flesh step on the Flagellants (damn they have a lot of small, fiddly areas of flesh):

Afraid you can't really see much due to only the flesh being worked on so far. Next months goal will more than likely be to get the robes and possibly the weapons done (depends how inspired I'm feeling come the end of January  :icon_lol:)

I'm halfway through doing the Dwarf Flesh on the Swords. The ones at the front are done, the ones at the back may or may not get done this week (depending if work behaves itself).

Two weeks to go for this challenge...we'll see how it goes!  :icon_eek:

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
Re: stretch_135 Blog (Pic Heavy) (Short Australia Day battle report)
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2010, 10:19:03 PM »
So I intended to spend a good chunk of Australia Day Night painting, but that didn't happen. Instead I got a 2000 pt. game in against the son of one of my Dad's mates. He run a pretty nice O&G list (Wyvern, BSB, Black Orcs x1, NGx1, Orcsx1, Wolf Ridersx1 Bolt Throwers x2, various magi and other bits and pieces). I run my standard 2000 list that I've been playing since the start of 7th Ed. (AL on WA with MoH/DA, 2x 30-man Swordsmen with det., 1x 30-man Flaggies, Knights, Captasus, Cannons x2, Helstorm). I used my Pegasus to tie up his Wolf Riders (he killed the off too....I was somewhat surprised) and my Knights to threaten the Orcish flanks. This meant he was pretty hesitant to move forward...I think he overrated the ability of my Knights.

The Flaggies were absolute machines....they chewed straight through the NGs, then straight through the Orcs and kept going. I nailed the Black Orcs with a Helstorm shot that hit every single one in a 25-man unit. Killed off 15 of them, they panicked, and took the BSB with them. I pretty much massacred him from then on, though I lost out on the massacre win due to suffering a rush of blood to the head in turn six and charging my AL into his wounded lord on Wyvern. Needless to say, the AL died and I missed out on a massacre by 60 points. MOTM honours go to the Flaggies....two banners in addition to the points they scored for kills, plus sheer bad-assery.

I'm hoping to get a good couple of hours in painting today, so hopefully I'll have some good news on the painting challenge front tonight.

Offline peraturabo

• Members
Re: stretch_135 Blog (Pic Heavy) (Short Battle report 30/1/2010)
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2010, 11:56:21 AM »
I really like your empire force,exept of your greenish yellow
Its too bright and it hurts in my eyes in a strange way...but I really prefer your red

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2010, 07:57:24 AM »
Yeah, yellow's pretty nasty to paint, and this camera doesn't capture it very well :-/ I might have another play with the settings and see if I can get a more accurate picture.

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2010, 12:10:16 AM »
So another month rolls around, and I haven't done squat in the way of painting. It's somewhat depressing, as I'm back to uni as of the week after next and I'll still be working two jobs. This is cutting my painting time down to next to nothing, which I'm really starting to hate :-/

On the plus side, I did get another game in a week or two ago against Dwarves at our local club....SV (again short of a massacre by about 60 points) which gives me a winning streak for the first time in a loooooooong time. Got a 1K match lined up against OK at our next club meet, so we'll see how that goes. In the mean time, time to get some painting done!

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2010, 12:46:18 PM »
That war alter conversion is excellent, one of the best I have seen as it actually looks "realistic" and not simply a way to make one on the cheap

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
Re: stretch_135 Blog (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2010, 06:29:24 AM »
So as anyone who's looked at the monthly painting challenges knows, I'm focusing on getting my Swordsmen painted at the moment. And it's going kinda/not that well. Finding time to paint in between uni, two jobs and some semblance of a social life is proving more of a challenge than I'm used to. It's terrible. Heartbreaking even. So, in latest news...the Swordsmen are to the point that I'm doing mostly detail work on them now. Everybody loves the fiddly bits on 7th Ed. State Troops don't we? Hopefully they'll all be finished by the end of the month so I don't fail my painting challenge. Again. Anyone have any good ideas for penance if I do?

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2010, 09:40:01 AM »
OK, definitely looking for that penance now. Those swords *still* aren't finished, and I've bought a...few...new models. :-/

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2010, 12:08:06 AM »
So, that time of year's rolling around again wqhere I play at our 'local' club tournament. This year it's been upped to 1700 pts, and lists are due today. Guess what I haven't written yet?  :engel:

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2010, 08:23:52 AM »
Do you still have to guess the range of mortars and helstorms with the new rules.
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2010, 10:41:19 AM »
Do you still have to guess the range of mortars and helstorms with the new rules.

I probably would've posted this question in the Elector's Forum, but no. Helstorms/Mortars follow the rules for Stone Throwers per the FAQ. Per pg. 114 of the rulebook, Stone Throwers don't have a guess range - you place the template and scatter.

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »
Ok, then I definately need more in my army. Damn, it was much simpler otherwise.
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2011, 01:41:17 AM »
So, after a breakup and a looooooong couple months with uni and work, I'm finally getting back into a bit of building and painting. Just to mix things up a little, I've been building a few Rat Ogres and an Assassin for my Skaven army, and I'm now painting a few Rat Swarms. Pics will *hopefully* start coming in the next few days...

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
Looking forward to it.

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2011, 02:24:01 AM »
So, yeah. Rat Swarms. Lol.

After a layoff from the man-dollies for a few months (unfortunately partying>women>work>man-dollies at this point), I've been getting back into the swing of things. I did a mass assembly job on some Minas Tirith wariors I had for WOTR to get the juices flowing again. I've had a half painted Screaming Bell sitting around for a while, so I figured I'd put it away and get the ball rolling with a smaller project like the 6th Ed. WP with GW (my all time favourite model) I've had sitting around screaming "paint me!!". Looking at the SB though I kind of realised that there was a bunch of small parts that would go missing easily, so it would be best if I glued them on first. To do that, I needed to paint a couple of bits....you can see where this is going.

So, currently I'm working on the stonework for the SB. One last bit to highlight, then I'm doing the bronzed metal on the stonework prongs and the yoke. At this point I'll re-evaluate how I'm going and either shelve it to do something smaller or finish it. Probably leaning towards finishing it - and getting some pics to put in here.  :closed-eyes:

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »
Not often a post immediately after one that's two and half years old is relevant, but in this case it is - I finished the Screaming Bell some time ago but never posted pics or really wrote about it again. Was quite proud of how this one turned out - I followed the old GW guide from their website (which I had to track down from the deep dark corners of the Internet after they reorganised their website and deleted anything referencing the old paint range). Will make for a very nice centrepiece when I get around to painting the rest of the rats (apologies for some of the pics, still getting back into the swing of taking decent ones...plus I'm using an iPhone....hardly the pinnacle of camera technology.

I'm particularly happy with how the Rat Ogre turned out - for what is essentially a block of flesh colour with a few patches to break it up it turned out quite nicely. Will definitely be following that part of the guide when I paint up a couple of units of Rat Ogres.

The next model I painted after this was a Land Raider Crusader for my Imperial Fists army...will try to get some pics of that up in the next couple of days, along with some pics of the Empire Warrior Priests that I'm working on now (which would be, you know, slightly more relevant to the interests of this site). Also will outline my goal for staying "in the red" when it comes to models this year....stay tuned!

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:48 PM »
2014 Painting Vow

For the calender year 2014, I vow that I will stay "in the red" across all games and systems.

So what does that actually mean?

I'm borrowing a little bit of accounting parlance for this one - any models that I purchase or trade for (incoming) will be scored as black and anything that I sell, trade away or paint (outgoing) will be scored as red. (However, for me being in the red is good as opposed to say Wall Street who spent far too much time in the red).

Models are weighted based on size and complexity of painting - obviously this will be somewhat subjective, but I'm only cheating myself I choose to bend the rules. As a rough outline:
Infantry Models: 1pt each (so a unit of 30 Swordsman is worth 30pts)
Cavalry Models: 2pts each (10 Knights is worth 20pts)
Mounstrous Infantry: 3pts each (4 Rat Ogres is worth 12pts)
Small tanks/monsters: 5pts each (Space Marine Rhinos, Steam Tank, Empire Griffons)
Large tanks/monsters: 10pts each (Space Marine Land Raiders, Dragons, Hell-Pit Abominations)
Characters count as double points for whatever unit type they fall under (eg infantry character is worth 2pts, cavalry character is worth 4pts, etc.)

Currently I'm only including models in this vow - you could quite easily include books, gaming items, etc but I've chosen to focus on models only as my main goal is to cut down on unpainted stuff.

I'll be shooting for a combines score rather than breaking down by system - so if I buy say a Hell-Pit Abomination for my Skaven I can off-set that by painting 10 Tactical Marines for my Imperial Fists. Any suggestions around the weighting system are welcome :)

Current Log
Incoming
Fulgrim +2
5 Phoenix Terminators +5
10 Tactical Marines +10
10 Devastators +10
5 Assault Terminators +5
5 Deathwing Knights +5
3 Centurions +9
1 Land Raider +10

Outgoing
:(

Total: +56

So, uh, not a good start. On the plus side, plenty of 2014 left to bring that number back towards a negative.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2014, 02:00:10 PM »
Hey Stretch - that sounds like a good system .................

Pause

Just totted mine up:

Current Log
Incoming:

Outgoing:

Total + 37643

:icon_redface:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2014, 02:29:04 PM »
I do just the same thing - I have a little table and everything. I just break it down by humanoids and quadrupeds (separate totals).

I am, like, totally in the black :)
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2014, 03:05:49 PM »
I do just the same thing - I have a little table and everything. I just break it down by humanoids and quadrupeds (separate totals).

I am, like, totally in the black :)

.......... and didn't we just know you would be ....................

I bet you were little Mister GoodyTwoShoes in school as well - "here's your apple, teacher"
and hand straight up for any questione  "Me, Me, Me, Miss!"

Huh - in the black ....amateur.

:engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »
You realize "in the black" is where you and stretch are, too, right? That is, more unpainted than painted?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2014, 04:21:36 PM »
You realize "in the black" is where you and stretch are, too, right? That is, more unpainted than painted?

That's it - go ahead and ruin my humourous post by pointing out I am an idiot .........................  :engel:

Edit:
Actually you must be lying as there is evidence here on this site that you DO paint stuff and recently too ..........