home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 144697 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 1Sep2019 - buildings ...and buildings)
« Reply #400 on: September 13, 2019, 12:56:29 PM »
Great terrain pieces! I do like your own work & using Hirst Arts blocks, but 3d printing will keep you sane. Probably.  :smile2:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline TheHoundmaster

• Members
« Reply #401 on: September 22, 2019, 07:36:29 PM »
Wow, I'm looking back through your posts and they are really impressive! I was actually confused when I saw the Knights Panther and was like "where is that box art from?" before I realized you just had them up against the background. Top notch stuff! I love the light lancer conversion, and your steam tank is superb. Your terrain is looking excellent as well, can't wait to see how the 3D-printed one turns out!
"What I like best about a siege is that there is nowhere for them to run..."
+++ Witch-hunter Zacharia Schmundt +++

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #402 on: September 28, 2019, 10:02:26 PM »
Thanks guys! Yes, 3d printing is the smart choice. But, I am not that smart so I am sure there will be more hand-built things popping up here eventually.

--------------------------
28Sep2019

Hot on the heels of my last update, here is yet another building. I painted up the 3d print shown earlier.

Some layer lines did show up in the painting. But, not bad, I am happy with the print quality. After painting though, I am not so into the cottage style itself. A bit too cartoon-y for my taste. The oversized doors and windows remind me of ‘heroic’ style miniatures. I guess at least now I know where they go to sleep (even an giant heroic axe will fit through that door).

I printed out the next thing, a little blacksmith shop. This one is a lot more realistically proportioned. Let’s see what it looks like painted up. I think the details on each building will matter a whole lot less when it all comes together in a proper city.

On the side I did paint a few miniatures lately as well. Here are two assassins for the DoW army. They shall hide in the pikemen and then jump out and killing-blow some nasty chaos lord...at least that’s the plan.

The close-ups are a bit unforgiving, they don’t look as chalky from a foot away. These are of course Vespero’s Vendetta models. Sometimes ebay is kind.

Some gnoblars biting off more than they can chew.

That’s all folks. More buildings to come here. Watch this space.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:18:00 PM by Naitsabes »
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 28Sep2019 - assassins & another building)
« Reply #403 on: September 29, 2019, 07:07:52 PM »
Fantastic! That blacksmith has sold me on the need for a printer. Can’t wait to see it painted
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #404 on: September 30, 2019, 03:35:18 PM »
The cottage is really nicely painted! I'm little unsure about the quality of the sculpt/print in the stonework. I might have used some fine grain sandpaper to get a better, stonier texture.

The duellists are really cool. Are you using homebrew rules there, or ripped from Nasty skulker goblins?

-Z

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2019, 10:09:31 PM »
That is a fancy looking cottage. The lines do show up a bit, but only in the closeups. I'm sure it will be fine in a bigger group of buildings.

The duellists/assasins are also great! I've never seen vespero's guys painted in light pastel colours - it really suits them.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #406 on: October 01, 2019, 04:26:02 PM »
Fantastic! That blacksmith has sold me on the need for a printer. Can’t wait to see it painted

Do it! No time like the present to enter the future. To be fair, the blacksmith file I bought (as part of a giant package of castle-related files), so that is an extra expense. But, there is also a lot of free stuff floating about, like that cottage.

The cottage is really nicely painted! I'm little unsure about the quality of the sculpt/print in the stonework. I might have used some fine grain sandpaper to get a better, stonier texture.

The duellists are really cool. Are you using homebrew rules there, or ripped from Nasty skulker goblins?

-Z

Hey! It's sedimentary rock! no, actually you are right. Thing is, the painting really brought out the layer lines. What I should do is spend time sanding things down even though it looks smooth. But, there certainly are nooks and crannies that the sand paper can't reach so it is imperfect.

The Vesperos will be assassins in a Warhammer Armies Project DoW list. They are a hero choice and pretty much work like e.g. DE assassins in terms of hiding in a unit etc. (except they have human stats of course). I like the idea of them popping out and surprising an opponent, haven't tried them in a game yet.

That is a fancy looking cottage. The lines do show up a bit, but only in the closeups. I'm sure it will be fine in a bigger group of buildings.

The duellists/assasins are also great! I've never seen vespero's guys painted in light pastel colours - it really suits them.

Thanks! yes, for the buildings mass can make up for class. I've started the next print, a three story castle house. Will take a few weekends. I have noticed the layer lines getting a bit worse. I don't know if this is because day/night temperature difference outside (where the printer sits) is a bit more drastic or if I need to tighten/align things more or if different files lead to different levels of layer lines. It's a brave new world this printing stuff.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #407 on: December 18, 2019, 06:47:19 AM »
17Dec2019
Howdy! Okay, we have to get the building out of the way. This time it’s the blacksmith shop (though the anvil didn't make it into the picture).

Quite happy with this little thing. Robert d'Waldo, master builder of Volganof, is making sure it is to specs. What you see in background is my rather ambitious Hirst block piece. Very far from done. 90minutes of nothing but drybrushing got me here:

Right, so we are inching towards a battle field. But, in the meantime I painted some unrelated Empire miniatures.

This is my rendition of the Nuln Ironsides (armored handgunner regiments formed from retainers of the Gunner School, described in Tamurkhan). The big 7th edition guns seemed appropriate. Then I made sure everybody had a helmet, breast plate, tassets and ostentatious plumage. Gave them Nuln black uniforms but, I stayed away from the lacquered black armor they are supposed to have. There is such a thing as too much black on a model.

On the right is their fearless leader Jubal Falk. Not my paint job. He came to me as a gift from the always generous mottdon. When I first looked at the model I wasn’t sure how to include them into my army. He seemed too awesome (and well armored) to be a simply unit champion or even engineer. But, he is quite fitting for Jubal. That meant I need to paint up some Ironsides and the rest is history.

More buildings are in the works but, it might be a while with family duties around the holidays.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 06:51:16 AM by Naitsabes »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 17Dec2019 - Ironsidesd & blacksmith)
« Reply #408 on: December 18, 2019, 08:30:28 AM »
That HirstArt wall piece and those Nuln Ironsides... Stunning pieces! Love your use of different edition State Troops. You've created a very unified look with little modifications, additions, and of course painting. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #409 on: December 18, 2019, 11:38:21 AM »
Excellent on all of those! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #410 on: December 18, 2019, 12:00:13 PM »
Beautiful. Beyond regular praise. I wish I had a blacksmith shop like that. Love the open walls
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 17Dec2019 - Ironsides & blacksmith)
« Reply #411 on: December 20, 2019, 06:19:07 PM »
Thanks guys! you are too kind.

The family was out for a day recently and so I had a chance to lay out the buildings that have accumulated. After some deliberations and careful study of the Volganof battlefield map in the BRB, we had decided to make the built up area 24x24". This will be tucked in a corner and then surrounded by a wall (details there TBD). All this not be confused with the courtyard. Maybe easiest if we have a look at the map, at the moment we are dealing with the very top right:

Here is where this stands, just a bit of a sample layout to see how much we fill up the space.

And you can play a bit of 'Where is d'Waldo' here.

so yeah. I figure we are about halfway with this part of the city. I don't think we need more buildings (in fact, quite possibly less?) but there is a bit of painting still to do. After that it's just a few walls. and gates. and a bastion. and even more high walls. piece of cake!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:21:12 PM by Naitsabes »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #412 on: December 20, 2019, 06:51:08 PM »
Ooh! I like that! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #413 on: December 21, 2019, 03:46:29 AM »
Always good to see old models. Great job on all that stuff. Don't feel bad about taking 'bad' photo's. I couldn't take a half decent photo to save my life.

Offline Paboook

• Members
« Reply #414 on: March 04, 2020, 09:39:02 PM »
Incredible project! I have spend two hours going through the whole thread - just amazing  :Ohmy:

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #415 on: April 10, 2020, 07:56:26 AM »
The town looks mighty fine. I don't think you need any more buildings, not sure if the battle will take place in the streets, but any more structures would make moving troops hard.

That being said, I think some scatter terrain would add to the look, if you have the patience to make them. A well, perhaps a sign board, satute, maybe some food stalls or a little market place would liven it all up greately.

As allways looking forward to the next installment.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #416 on: April 10, 2020, 04:13:34 PM »
wow
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #417 on: April 11, 2020, 05:51:41 PM »
cheers, guys. Glad to read every single comment.

Incredible project! I have spend two hours going through the whole thread - just amazing  :Ohmy:
well, I hope you consider it time well-spent!

The town looks mighty fine. I don't think you need any more buildings, not sure if the battle will take place in the streets, but any more structures would make moving troops hard.

That being said, I think some scatter terrain would add to the look, if you have the patience to make them. A well, perhaps a sign board, satute, maybe some food stalls or a little market place would liven it all up greately.

As allways looking forward to the next installment.

yes, good call on scatter stuff. I have some barrels and carts already painted up. Food stalls are a cool idea. They just need to be moveable so they don't get in the way of gaming.

I have finished most of the painting on the big Hirst piece. Of course, now I figured that life can't be too easy and what this piece really needs is a cragly gnarly tree growing on the rubble on the very left. Will try to do something from wire, all new to me.

But other than that, this project is a bit on the back burner. Started an undead army and am knee-deep in skeletons but, that is a story for another time (though even just replying here makes me want to come back to Volganof sooner rather than later...)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:55:58 PM by Naitsabes »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #418 on: April 11, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
Lovely piece, the red roof really lifts it  :eusa_clap:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #419 on: April 22, 2020, 08:00:19 PM »
22Apr2020
Hello, hello. I’ve finally finished that big Hirst Terrain piece and so it’s time to share some pictures. This building wouldn’t fit in my light box so excuse the glimpses of my living room.

I know I’ve yapped about this piece before. Just to sum up: This was a test piece to see if we could (or should) build the entire walls of Volganof using Hirst Art blocks. The answer is ‘no’. Way too labor intensive and heavy. Foam will be the way to go, more about that in due time. We will be using this piece as a building inside the city, I imagine it as a crumbling part of an older fortification, now put to good use as a foundation for more mundane dwellings.

I had some fun with a little bit of staging in the style of the White Dwarfs of yore. Let’s hope the game doesn’t go so poorly that Chaos Knights roam the streets of Volganof!

Next steps? There is one more rather tall 3d printed house, then I want to add some eye-candy scatter stuff (along the lines of the barrels/cart above) and right now the cobblestone covers 24x16”, need to up that to 24x24”.

But of course, plenty miniatures whisper in my ears to get painted. Who has time for terrain?!?

Upward and onward. Cheers.
 Sebastian

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 22Dec2020 - A little building)
« Reply #420 on: April 22, 2020, 09:19:55 PM »
Wow!!
Is that cobblestone made or bought?
Fantastic as usual
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #421 on: April 22, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »
Gorgeous!   :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

And thanks for the additonal inspiration!  I bought a 3 level tower several years back that some guy made from using Hirst molds I believe.  I dropped it a wee back when moving and the bottom came apart.  However, I have been gluing it back together a bit at a time over the last week, and can't wait to use it for fantasy and Border Reivers, too!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #422 on: April 23, 2020, 10:14:52 AM »
Congrats for another stunning terrain piece finished on the road!

-Z

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #423 on: April 23, 2020, 08:34:53 PM »
glad to see you like it. and if I inspire people to patch up long broken stuff, go me!

Wow!!
Fantastic as usual

it's sculpey rolled out with a greenstuffworld roller (basically a rolling pin with an imprint). not hard to do at all.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #424 on: April 23, 2020, 09:30:23 PM »
glad to see you like it. and if I inspire people to patch up long broken stuff, go me!

Wow!!
Fantastic as usual

it's sculpey rolled out with a greenstuffworld roller (basically a rolling pin with an imprint). not hard to do at all.

Nice! I think I may attempt that. It looks great!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020