home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 802996 times)

Offline Brad

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11375 on: May 18, 2019, 03:45:54 AM »
Imperator: Watched a few vids, didn't interest me.  I really can't see the point of a game with an empire-building level of scale using real-time mechanics.  I mean, it lasts potentially hundreds of in-game years, you really shouldn't need to be micro-managing everything on such a tight time limit.

Mechanicus: Played it, it's quite good, but the combat doesn't really have much tactics involved.  There's no cover mechanic - if you can see them and they are in range, then you hit 100%.  A lot of people have complained that it's too easy, although if that's truly the case then RNGeezus must have really shat all over me when I played because I got royally hosed on every mission.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11376 on: May 19, 2019, 12:03:53 AM »
Steam is having a sale on Warhammer games for the next couple days.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11377 on: May 26, 2019, 06:31:18 PM »
I got Total War 3 Kingdoms. Its fun but because I am not familiar with that area of history I feel lost on what to do. With Rome I knew who all the factions are and what they are capable of, same with Shogun and even Warhammer (duh), but I know nothing of the era so I don't know who to watch out for or what to expect. Conquering the map is like climbing a mountain whereas the other total wars seemed more like going from region to region. Its hard to describe. I do like the units and the generalship and managing the court. A full stack is about 24 units and 3 characters. Combat is fun and no different from its predecessors except you can issue challenges to opposing commanders and generals.  The research is a little less intuitive but it may just be because I'm still figuring things out.  So far I really like it, just feel lost.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #11378 on: May 26, 2019, 10:31:46 PM »
I also have Three Kingdoms: Total War. I am very much impressed with it thus far. It's fortunate that I am a big fan of the period (due to playing the somewhat arcadey Dynasty Warriors series on the PS2 when I was younger) because I am getting quite immersed. The diplomacy options are vastly increased over what has been available in previous Total War games, which fits the era perfectly. So far so good, although the Total War series has always benefited from mods to fine tune various aspects, and so I look forward to those!

That said, it has threatened to get in the way of painting!

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11379 on: May 27, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »
It's fortunate that I am a big fan of the period (due to playing the somewhat arcadey Dynasty Warriors series on the PS2 when I was younger)

PS2 era? My contact with the period goes back to the SNES era (Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Koei).  :icon_wink:

Liked the Liu Bei faction due to him being the underdog.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11380 on: May 27, 2019, 10:47:27 PM »
I found yet another copy of KOTOR2 in a charity shop the other day. That makes 4 copies I own. NONE of them work on my P.C :cry:

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11381 on: May 28, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11382 on: June 01, 2019, 04:40:12 AM »
So I know nothing of the Three Kingdoms period of China and I am playing the total war game and while fighting Cao Cao I got an achievement called an "eye of the beholder" for having archers shoot at a general named Xiahou Dun that was with Cao Cao. I figured it had some sort of relevance. After quitting the game (its past midnight so I am starting to make some mistakes from fatigue) I went onto Imgur and did a search on the 3 kingdoms to get some context on the era and sure enough the first image that comes up is a comic where Xiahou Dun takes an arrow to the eye.
https://imgur.com/gallery/MYeD8

edit: Also I am getting a feeling from the fanbase that Lu Bu is basically the Darth Vader to Dong Zhuo's Emperor Palpatine. Both are hated along with Cao Cao.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 04:45:47 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11383 on: June 01, 2019, 08:53:59 PM »
Xiahou Dun was indeed hit in the eye by an arrow. Which according to the story he then plucked out eye and all, and then ate the eye to strengthen the resolve of his soldiers. (In 3 Kingdom games he's often shown with an eye-patch).

Lu Bu was a great warrior, and having him on your side (as in, not against you on the field of battle) was therefore a good thing. But he was also an arrogant asshole with next to no sense of loyalty.

Dong Zhuo was the warlord who abducted the emperor and subsequently had him killed so he could place a younger (more pliable) brother on the throne. All the while he really liked extorting the population and torturing people, he really, really enjoyed torturing people.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11384 on: June 02, 2019, 09:25:48 PM »
Slight segue, but I once saw a t-shirt with the Bayeux Tapestry and the caption "I spy with my little eye something beginning with A..."

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11385 on: June 03, 2019, 06:09:26 PM »
"I'm gonna make a tapestry filled with arrows, bitches love arrows..."

PhillyT

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11386 on: June 11, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
Announced today: Zelda Breath of the Wild 2; Electric Boogaloo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fr1Z07AV00

The "music" seem very ominous, almost like its a song played backwards. I am excited to jump back into Hyrule.  I wonder if you can port your stuff from the previous game. I doubt it. Otherwise you wouldn't be bothered to go around and collect new stuff. Also, mummies!
― Jake the Dog

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #11387 on: June 11, 2019, 09:55:07 PM »
"I'm gonna make a tapestry filled with arrows, bitches love arrows..."

Freudian arrows, no doubt...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Markus Meyer

• Members
« Reply #11388 on: June 20, 2019, 12:12:24 PM »
I'm currently playing Mordhau like a madmen.
It is like Chivalry 2 from the same guys.
I unlocked Lansknecht Style Cloth and going in with a "Sigmar Vult!" screaming. :)

Game is bloody and quite satisfying if you land your hits.
And totally frustrating if outplayed by a better player. Not by gear but by skill.

I made a discord to gather some Warhammer like minded players.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #11389 on: June 20, 2019, 05:56:38 PM »
I have watched some videos about the game, but found the gameplay to be probably too goofy and chaotic for my taste. I like the characters that you have created - most people seem to run around with terrible looking creations and combinations, which tends to happen in most games with character customisation.

I wish it was a little bit more like the War of the Roses game from some years ago (which is no longer playable).

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11390 on: June 25, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
Bought a Nintendo Switch. Mario Maker 2 out in 3 more days. Excited.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11391 on: June 25, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »
One of us, one of us. I highly suggest getting Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Its considered one of the greatest games of all time now.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11392 on: June 26, 2019, 07:32:03 AM »
One of us, one of us. I highly suggest getting Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Its considered one of the greatest games of all time now.

Yeah, I know, except I have no time for an RPG. To be honest, I’m not sure it will be anything else other than a mario maker and smash bros device.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11393 on: June 26, 2019, 02:52:33 PM »
I can confirm Zelda breath of Wild is awesome, but also lacking severe time to put into it (I rather paint minis at the moment)
Though I'm also looking forward to Pokemon Sword and Shield to hit in November.. looks like they incorporated some ideas from the Zelda game into that!

And I have Diablo 3 to toy around with (got it at a shop closing sale for a bargain) besides the Pokemon Go Pikachu I still need to put some time in :)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #11394 on: June 27, 2019, 01:44:05 PM »
STOP!!!
Do not play Diablo 3!!!...wait until I get my new computer and we can play. I had it for a while, but have not been able to get into it. Want to give it a try again.

Kidding, you can play but dont burn out.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11395 on: June 27, 2019, 06:08:12 PM »
Steam sale is going on. I got myself Slay the Spire and Into the Breach, 2 excellent rogue-likes

PhillyT

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11396 on: June 28, 2019, 01:59:47 AM »
― Jake the Dog

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11397 on: June 28, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »
STOP!!!
Do not play Diablo 3!!!...wait until I get my new computer and we can play. I had it for a while, but have not been able to get into it. Want to give it a try again.

Kidding, you can play but dont burn out.

I got it on the Switch..are you going to get a switch? :)
Besides, not sure if you want to play co-op if we then need an online paid account for that..
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #11398 on: June 28, 2019, 01:18:19 PM »
Computer only... :(
Hope you enjoy it. I did a lot. A friend has switch, maybe I'll tell him to get it and give it a try in console.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11399 on: June 28, 2019, 10:01:02 PM »
I played Diablo3 at launch.  It was kinda boring, actually.  And the always-online thing was dreadful - I kept getting booted out because my internet decided to drop out.

Actually I just picked up the expansion a few months ago, but haven't even gotten around to installing it yet.