home

Author Topic: Hypothetical Empire/Bretonnia  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Hypothetical Empire/Bretonnia
« on: December 11, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »
So I have been playing a lot of Warhammer Total War 2 which is great considering I haven't been in the hobby for a long time. Whats great is I am also getting back into the lore which is what ushered me to WHFB in the first place. I have also been thinking of this hypothetical question:

You, yes you yourself, the royal "we" are on your way to work one day when a dimensional shift occurs and you are sucked into a vortex. Not your car/vehicle or your phone, just a naked you. You are met by a mysterious glowing light that presents you with 2 tunnels. One tunnel leads to "Empire" and the other leads to "Bretonnia."  The glowing light tells you the end times are coming and only you know what to expect. If you go into the Empire Tunnel you will become Karl Franz and have to lead the Empire through its greatest struggle. If you go through Bretonnia you will become Louen Leoncoeur.

Which tunnel would you take and why? Also what would you do as Royarch/Emperor?

I know the irony of asking this on an Empire-centric sight and expect a bias, but I always like to imagine what I would do to prevent the End times what with my advanced knowledge of, well, the End Times. I wanted to know what you would have done as either (or both) rulers to prevent the destruction of the Warhammer world. I am restricting it to these two since they are straight up human and so are you.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Hypothetical Empire/Bretonnia
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 09:19:46 PM »
I would wonder how I was going to explain it all to the psychiatrist!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 09:30:27 PM »
:icon_lol: :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't know the lore of the End of Times.  In my version of the lore it just doesn't come to an end, and things keep going.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 10:01:40 PM »
Brettonia

Love the Empire, but as Louen you would have a higher degree of loyalty.  If you say End Times is a coming, knights will flock to banners.  Damsels will have visions.  Green Knight will sharpen his lance.  Peasants will obey.  And off you march.

In the Empire.  If you say End Times is a coming.  4 Arch Lectors (because reasons) will all disagree on various points and at least one will declare you a heretic  ::heretic:: .  5 Provinces will revolt and fight amongst themselves.  14 high ranking do-nothing dukes and lords will be assassinated.  100,000 Sigmarite loyalists will show up.  Also 100,000 Ulric followers.  Brawls will ensue and in the end a rag-tag group of soldiers will arrive on the border with pointy sticks and a couple of cannons (which will blow up).  Meanwhile, you as Emperor will barely survive and perhaps squeek out a victory but lose 3 more provinces as the Counts all diverted the resources to a private war while greenskins attacked out of the mountains and no one but historians will believe this was the End Times averted.

Definitely Brettonia
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 12:11:33 AM »
Everything Dihenydd just said is why I love the Empire.  :biggriin:

But yeah, lead it... Not sure.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 02:55:09 AM »
:icon_lol: :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't know the lore of the End of Times.  In my version of the lore it just doesn't come to an end, and things keep going.

So Storm of Chaos?

I am glad that End Times did explain a few mysteries like the identity of the Green Knight and who the Lady of the Lake actually is. But part of the fun was the mysteries I suppose.

That brings up another question I was going to posit in a different thread but I'll just ask it here.

Did you guys prefer the Storm of Chaos or End Times? Personally I liked the Storm of Chaos but it could be because I was quite invested in the world campaign at the time.

@Dihenydd: but knowing what you know you can try and manipulate things.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 02:57:02 AM »
Storm of Chaos happened.  Ostland and Hochland deeply effected.  The world didn't come to an end.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 12:55:48 PM »
I only know a bit of Nagash.
If I was Karl, I would bring Balthasar Gelt in for a talking to. Can’t remember the rest of the fluff for it.

Storm of Chaos had less stakes, but at the time was all the stakes. Setup was good, but not enough happened in the end.
There are parts of End Times i didn’t like... especially the ending part. But there was interesting stuff done too which I liked. Settra was a standout, as well as Balthasar Gelt being a secret necromancer. I think it fell off a bit further along the way. As soon as I realised they were actually ending it, I lost interest, shame to say.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.