home

Author Topic: Porkix painting blog - Steam tank 14/05/15  (Read 41803 times)

Offline Porkix

• Members
Porkix painting blog - Steam tank 14/05/15
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:40:37 PM »
Hi generals,

I have been lurking around for a while and I just decided to join the fun. As an introduction, I will present my troops from Altdorf.

Here a few shots of my pistoliers, the bases are not done and there is still two more young nobles that need a little bit of work. I have been doing those recently so they are so far the best painting job I manage to come out with.

All comments are welcome.

Porkix
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 02:34:33 AM by Porkix »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Porkix painting blog
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
oooh!  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »
Nicely done!! And welcome to the forum!!

Though one fluff question: you say it's your Altdorf forces, but I'm missing a bit the city colors of Altdorf here, predominantly Blue and Red, what I see here is alot of yellow aswell. So what is the story with these young nobles?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
They look quite nice, I just don't like the yellow horses

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
Yeap, these horses look way too yellow to my taste.

I was trying to reproduce this color...

any idea how to come up with it? I always end up with brown or yellow horses but not with this kind of "gold" rending...

Porkix

Offline noibn

• Members
  • Not Otherwise Identified By Name
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:30:47 AM »
I actually like the horses, alot... What colors did ya use? I figure just a tad more white in the mix and they'd be perfect  :smile2:

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:41:30 AM »
I'd start with a tan base then drybrush white, then inks/washes back over it again to mute the white down

Never tried tan horses, but dapple grey works well doing that.

Also, never tried this but how about applying the dapple colour with a sponge and not a brush, just dabbing it on.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
I'd add just a touch of a dark brown, like scorched brown, to the base color. That will take away from the yellow look of it. If you look at your reference picture, in all the darker shadowed areas it is a dark brown color and not a tan or golden color.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 04:17:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

I never really manage to master the ink/washes techniques and I use mainly layering and dry brushing...

Uryens: that's sound like a good idea to use a darker brown in the shadowed area, I would give a try and post the results...

For this result I start from a base of 6/8 white skull, 1/8 bestial brown 1/8 bubonic, then layered adding more bestial brown in the shadowed areas and more white skull and the highlight areas. Top link the layers, I dry brush everything with white skull.

Here is some shots of my swordsmen

I always mix an additional colour with the red and blue to differentiate each regiment and to add some diversity to my painting as well
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:35:15 AM by Porkix »

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 06:07:03 AM »
A small update.

Altdorf has the very good advantage of being a very cosmopolitan city and allow me to squeeze in pretty much whatever I want to paint so here is my Ulric priest. This time I went for a richer red that still match quite nicely with my army but still stand out a bit more.

CC are welcome as usual

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:31:31 AM by Porkix »

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 07:09:56 AM »
Nice work. :happy:
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:39:34 AM »
Good work, though I would not want to actually use that axe... it looks like it's made out of Marble and could shatter any time you would hit something with it! Though it really looks great with those green nerves.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Porkix

• Members
Re: Porkix painting blog - new bases?
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 04:52:29 AM »
OMG, it's an update and actually a question for you fellow generals.

I finally decided to re-base all my little guys and here is a picture of my test-rat-lab and my previous base "style" for reference.

I will fix the side of the base later to remove all the strokes but I will most likely do it on large scale when the full unit is done for example.

I think I will increase the amount of green and dead grass on the next bases but I kind of like the feel of this test..

What do you think? Am I on the good track here.

Porkix
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:36:40 AM by Porkix »

Offline Guildenstern

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »
you are! I#m still an oldschool green bases maker but in your case it is an easy choice. Go for the new, darker one. Also nice paintjob on the models
Guildenstern
My Blog

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 03:18:49 AM »
A wash would do well on those horses, then you can always go back over some areas with the original color. Maybe Orgyn or Sepia, legs and underbelly possibly Devlan. You'd have to experiment a bit.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 03:47:39 AM »
Woooh an update.

I like to share this old picture taken with my phone. 3 out my 10 panther knights. The banner is  printed, the shields are free-hand. These fellows are 10 000 km away from me so you  will need to wait a bit to get better pictures.

Soon I will post pictures of my new spear block, gunners blocks and a lot more.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:36:03 AM by Porkix »

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 05:45:20 AM »
Awesome painting block nice 6th edition swords and I like the yellow horsies.

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 07:22:44 PM »
Those new bases make a massive imrpovement, make the whole model look better.

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 05:22:05 AM »
Thanks Fandir,

I still need to try an ink on the lower part of these pistoliers horses to see if I can get a more "palomino" look.

So there is one my spear block, the yellow sleeve. When not campaigning, the fellow are assigned to guard the south gate of the city next to the reik going to Marienburg. As many of them have relatives or are coming from the independent city, they choose to die their right sleeve in yellow.

the unit-filler "all the road lead to Altdorf"

I don't know why the pictures came up so blue...

Any comment is appreciated.

Porkix
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:44:10 AM by Porkix »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
Fantastic!

The sign post is a nice idea.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 12:41:57 PM »
Very nice work!

Your pictures are coming out so blue because you aren't using the correct white balance on your camera. In layman's terms you are probably using the wrong light setting on your camera. Try changing the lighting settings on your camera to one of the other ones, ideally it should match the lighting you are using. Your camera is compensating for the lack of blue light in your light source. If your camera can do a manual white balance that's even better, but you'll need to read your owner's manual to find that out because each camera is different. Also don't mix the types of lighting you are using. Use either all florescent, or all incandescent, or only sunlight. You also should be able to do some post processing to adjust the photos to reduce the blue.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 10:02:22 AM »
Thanks for the advice  Delthos, I post-process the following pictures that had the blueish look before.

So here comes Otto captain of Averland who distinguished himself and was called to Altdorf to serve the emperor. He was granted to keep the original colours of his province by his commander.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:44:28 AM by Porkix »

Offline Porkix

• Members
Re: Porkix painting blog Update 29/12/2010 Cavalry
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 03:27:40 AM »
Merry Christmas fellow generals,
1st here is my complete unit of pistoliers (I admit i didn't touch up the colour of the horses, so much things to do...)

Then here is my outriders: the wild fire of Sigmar that rain death on the enemy of the empire, love these guys.

Finally my version of the griffon templars knights stationing in Altdorf. I am pretty happy how they turn out.

C&C are welcome.

Porkix
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:45:03 AM by Porkix »

Offline Hauptmann Gustl

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
Wow! Three great units with superb painting. I especially love your gryphon knights and hope you don't mind if I copy the idea and maybe even the paint job one day. Keep on working like that as your Altdorfian blog is really awesome!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 01:16:54 PM »
I like the variety of bits you used to put together those Griffon templar.

Well done!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.