home

Author Topic: color scheme change, opinions please  (Read 1382 times)

Offline xxvaderxx

• Members
color scheme change, opinions please
« on: October 25, 2007, 02:35:18 AM »
Ok here is the thing, in the beggining i was gonna paint altdorf colors blue/red, so i started painting arches so in case i desided to change colors it wouldnt afect the army as they are mainly brown any way, no it seem that i wont be having a lot of time in the near future so i was considering ussing the talabaheim colors white white/red, i think this would really speed things up on the state troops as the base coat is white any way, with a grey ink wash pluss white drybrush you are done on the white and the red would be the same as the other theme, paint red ink brown drybrush red. should i go ahead with this what do you think?
In the back of my head i hear a little voice that says an average painted army looks a hole lot better than an army not painted at all.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:39:13 AM by xxvaderxx »
picture sigs are not allowed here - The Management

Offline thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • I said NO mayo!
Re: color scheme change, opinions please
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 02:57:33 AM »
I dont know about the inks and dry brushes but undercoating in white will really speed things up for you. I think if you were to undercoat white, paint the red and then ink with a thin wash of brown it might look good on the red and the white. In fact go ahead and paint the skin and weapons as well and leave the ink for the very last. This way you are not really dipping but you get the same effect.

If you find you ave more time than you thought then go ahead and add a highlight after inking. If you paint solid colors in basic and add the ink you should have some good looking models to field.

Good Luck!

Offline offroadfury88

• Members
  • Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 01:03:13 AM »
I think that red and white look the best.  What you should do is undercoat white then paint the white ares with a light gray than extreme highlight with white. Extreme meaning that you don't blend into the previous color and you just paint the high places and flat spots. From far away they look really nice.

(EXTREME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
 -The Buddha

An act of kindness surpasses a thousand prayers
 -Sa'di

Offline Etrigan001

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 03:05:41 AM »
I've recently begun to paint up a few units with Middenhiem/Middenland blue and white. For the entire figure I base coated black. Then I used fortress grey as the base for the white areas and highlighted up adding white into the grey. It turned out ok and looks pretty fair with the blue I used. I don't know if that would be the right choice of base to go with the red of Talabheim though. Good luck!

Offline CaptScott

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 02:32:04 PM »
I just posted my red recipe elsewhere but I'll repeat it because it is quick, easy and good (we,, good enough for your average painter).

- white undercoat
- base scab red
- chestnut ink wash
- drybrush/highlight scab red
- highlight blood red (just a little)
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!