home

Author Topic: WIP converted warrior priest and painted general preview  (Read 5787 times)

Offline Papa Dan

• Members
WIP converted warrior priest and painted general preview
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:07:02 AM »
Hi, posted this at Warseer for the Tale of Fantasy Painters but I thought I'd post it here as well. Hope you dont mind. I appreciate  all comments good and bad.

Ive painted over 200p (one caracter though) now and thought I should have a break and try to be creative. I will probably get a real warrior priest but thought it would be nice to try and sculpt some. So I decided to stick some bitz together, trim and file and start to get some brown stuff on to the mini....

this is where I am with it right now and for a first try I feel pretty happy about it:

And here is also a sneek peek of whats coming on the 31st of august:

Offline Papa Dan

• Members
Re: WIP converted warrior priest and painted general preview
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:27:23 AM »
Just wanted to add that the warrior priest isnt in a finnished state, there will be more added to him, a book will be hanging in the front, probably a small shield somewhere and a hooded cloak. So as previous stated it is WIP :)

Offline Papa Dan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:58:30 PM »
Just trying a bump. Hope to get some kind of feedback atleast. Know the priest needs more work. Any suggestions? :)

Offline thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • I said NO mayo!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 02:43:11 PM »
Personally I do not like the new Warrior Priest models. The head on the one is not good nor is it posed in a flattering way. You have a good idea to make them yourself and I will try some myself at some point.

I understand what your trying to do here but the arms are way too far back. He would have a hard time getting any real power behind this blow and the pose just does not look right. The cloth is a bit thick bet well done otherwise.

All in all its a good first try.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 02:46:09 PM »
Looks good.  Reminds me of a Teutogen Guard figure.  

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »
I really like the face on the mounted figure and good use of black and red. steveb

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
I don't have a problem with the arms... course, I do some pretty outrageous arm positioning myself so there ya go, he looks cool to me  8-)
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Papa Dan

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »
Thanks alot for the imput guys! Yeah, I get your point with the arms, had to fit them there or the head would be in the way! :) Ill post some more in a day or two. As soon as I have had time to do some more on him. Cheers!

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 02:16:53 AM »
The face on the empire general is really beautifully done.   :eusa_clap:

As for the warrior priest, I think the arms look a little off.  Also the choice of head is somewhat unorthodox.  Sigmarite priests are generally represented as being bald (although I'm not sure if the fluff says they're supposed to all be bald).  The sculpting of the robe, however, is spot on.

For the "swinging over the head" pose, I like to use a really dynamic body.  You might find these helpful:

The priest in the chainmail has his hammer about as far back as humanly possible.  He's pretty exaggerated, but there's a sort of coiled quality to his spine, that suggests a great power about to be unleashed (like when you've drawn back on a bow or slingshot and are about to release).  I specifically changed the angle of the waist to get that effect, and I think it works pretty well.

The free company warrior with the axe over his head is even more successful, in my opinion.  The aggressive pose of the legs really makes it look like he's about to split somebody's skull to the teeth.  You might want to try that set of free company legs because they really lend a sense of dynamism to the model.  It should be easy enough for you to sculpt a robe over the legs (you did an excellent job on the robe of the priest) if you choose to go this route.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Papa Dan

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 06:01:29 AM »
Wow, thats some great help there Pistol Pete, thank you for taking your time! I will shure bare this in mind for use in the future. Dont dare to try cut loose the arms on this fellow now.

About his baldness he IS bald!! He have a beard though. Valten has a mustach so I thought a beard would do as well as long as he is bald.   :smile2:

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 07:16:51 AM »
Valten has a mustach so I thought a beard would do as well as long as he is bald.

Valten wasnt a warrior priest, but rather the reincarnation of sigmar.  He actually was at odds with the church of sigmar for much of his lifetime, as they did not belive him to be the real deal.  The fact that Luthor Huss went around telling everybody that Valten was Sigmar's Heir, and the fact that he also went around criticizing the church for having lost it's way meant that Valten was not welcome in the cult of sigmar.

So valten had his reasons for not being clean shaven like a WP.   :dry:
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Papa Dan

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 07:28:15 AM »
Ah, you certainly know your fluff! But do we know for sure that WPs can't grow a beard while in service? :)

Offline DonKarst0n

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 10:32:44 AM »
I said it on warseer and I say it again.
I love the way you painted your general's face. It looks so realistcally and fitting.
Quote from: patsy02
Useless as they may be, the horses still need their knights for the extra armour save.

Offline Papa Dan

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 05:59:53 AM »
Hi guys. Here's a small update on the warrior priest and a couple of simple wizard conversions. First of all the priest; I lost a bit of motivation when I realized that I need a mounted priest for my army. Decided to finnish this one anyway as training although I was a bit hasty with him in the end so he could have been better done i think. Will paint him and post later on. So what do you think?

The two wizards are really simple and you can all see where the different bitz are from. I trimmed down all the gem stones as they are a bit TOO elvish. The big gem at the forhead of the horse was replaced with a spike. The others was left as flat ovals and will be painted in some metal colour. I let the wizard on the rocks keep the elf sign around his neck to show the covenant between the colleges of magic and the elves. Added a non elven sword at the side of the mounted wizard.

Offline thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • I said NO mayo!
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 02:04:52 PM »
The chunky Brett WP is perfect! His friend otoh suffer from the same lack of training with a warhammer. The mounted wizard is also perfect! His friend does not suit me. The floating rocks are iconic and dont fit well with him. The last WP is very nice except, again, for the positioning of the warhammer. All of your priests are still 100% better than the new metal ones.

I know these are already done but my I suggest you try something? Find a 5 pound sledge or something that mimics the shape and size of a warhammer. Lift it over your head and pose yourself like the minis you have created. When the hammer is all the way back and then drawn forward, you will feel a point when you loose power while your muscles readjust. Right after that you will regain power and stability. The weapon actually feels like its back in your control! This is about as far back as it should be posed on your models.

I guess it does not really matter much. The thing is your fairly skilled at the rest. If you combine that with proper posing your minis would be superb!!!

PS The Militia man with the axe (bottom left) is posed perfectly!

Offline norbert

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 04:02:01 PM »
Those wizards are ace!  Great brown stuff work on the priest as well.  That's something I need to practice.  My sculpt-fu is weak.

Offline Papa Dan

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 07:06:19 PM »
The chunky Brett WP is perfect! His friend otoh suffer from the same lack of training with a warhammer. The mounted wizard is also perfect! His friend does not suit me. The floating rocks are iconic and dont fit well with him. The last WP is very nice except, again, for the positioning of the warhammer. All of your priests are still 100% better than the new metal ones.

I know these are already done but my I suggest you try something? Find a 5 pound sledge or something that mimics the shape and size of a warhammer. Lift it over your head and pose yourself like the minis you have created. When the hammer is all the way back and then drawn forward, you will feel a point when you loose power while your muscles readjust. Right after that you will regain power and stability. The weapon actually feels like its back in your control! This is about as far back as it should be posed on your models.

I guess it does not really matter much. The thing is your fairly skilled at the rest. If you combine that with proper posing your minis would be superb!!!

PS The Militia man with the axe (bottom left) is posed perfectly!

Thanks for the comments, if you look once again though you will find that the Chunky WP and the militia are posted by Pistol Pete and not me! You are totaly right with the hammer and I certainly will think about this in the future.

About the floating stones, I have got more comments on them with the same point as you so I will  cut them down and leave him on just the top stone and do some smaller rocks around it but on the ground this time.

Offline Papa Dan

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 07:06:53 PM »
Those wizards are ace!  Great brown stuff work on the priest as well.  That's something I need to practice.  My sculpt-fu is weak.

Thanks alot man!

Offline Your Mother

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 09:03:56 PM »
those are some very nice wizards.
I like cheese.            My Army Blog: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21327.0

Offline xxadriaanxx

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 03:48:53 PM »
And i tought i was original, by making a empire wizard on horse with high elf body.
Seems not, great job anyway, it looks a bit like mine :p
I used the same head on the mounted one, coincidence or 2 great minds thinking the same way  :biggriin:
a3aan

Offline Gabrionus

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »
absolutely wonderful wizards!
Who is more foolish, the child afraid of the dark or the man afraid of the light?  ~Maurice Freehill

Offline Papa Dan

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 05:47:06 PM »
And i tought i was original, by making a empire wizard on horse with high elf body.
Seems not, great job anyway, it looks a bit like mine :p
I used the same head on the mounted one, coincidence or 2 great minds thinking the same way  :biggriin:
a3aan

Yeah, Indeed! I know someone else on the forum have done something similar but with the Light Wizard as the mounted one! Simple conversion that works! As the elven style fit the fluff anyway.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »
I know that I am going to try to make some priests exactly like yours, I hope they turn out half as well. good job and keep posting. steveb

Offline thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • I said NO mayo!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 10:34:37 PM »
OH so sorry about that! I blame pistol pete  :closed-eyes:

Actually that means I have the same complaint about pistol petes arms being back too far.
I was flipping through the post too fast and commented too quickly.

Anyway Im glad if I can help!