home

Author Topic: Battle Standard Bearer builds  (Read 3177 times)

Offline Blutsauger

• Members
Battle Standard Bearer builds
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »
Hi everyone, first post here.

I've been running a BSB with the Fencer's Blades and the Helm of the Skaven Slayer recently, but not having much success with him. What are other peoples BSB builds, and how have do they fare?

Offline sandstorm

• Members
Re: Battle Standard Bearer builds
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »
I run the bsb with full plate, shield, dragonhelm and dawnstone. 2+ rerollable armour save and 6++ parry, aswell as a 2+ ward vs flaming gives him the most survivability on foot.

Offline riverhawks32

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 02:08:52 PM »
Mine usually has the griffon banner, fpa, and a shield.
Or I run Fpa,enchanted shield,,4++
~5500 points mercenary company based in Middenland~

Offline Mortim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »
I like FPA, Lance, Shield, Banner of Eternal Flame and Imperial Pegasus. 2+ save with an extra wound. He rarely fights but he can buff shooting units or combat units with flaming when needed.

Offline Arfa

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
I like FPA, enchanted shield, dawnstone & sword of might. No 2++ for flaming, but adds some nice punch to the unit with three WS5 S5 attacks, and can really help with ethereal too. I dont really rate magic banners on BSB's, I find the bonus' they give to leadership and combat res to start with are the things worth keeping him alive for.

Arfa

Offline grumpusbumpus

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 06:14:52 AM »
Full plate, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield (2+ / 4++)

Full plate, Enchanted Shield, Dawn Stone (2+ re-rollable / 6++[parry])

Barded steed, yadda-yadda-yadda (1+).  I have him in a large knight unit with a Champion, Warrior Priest, and Runefang-wielding Grand Master.  The enemy has enough to deal with that the BSB isn't usually a primary target, plus the enemy is usually being ground under hoof.

I've been pondering a build where he's naked with the Griffon standard.  Have him join a combat unit, five-wide, but a bajillion-deep.  Give the unit full command, and have two or more beefy combat characters join the unit (I'm envisioning Karl swing good ol' Ghal Maraz here.).  The BSB gets shunted to the second rank, where he's safe, and adds +4 combat resolution.  If this combat unit is a buffed unit of greatswords, they could readily send the enemy running.  The trick is to have more ranks than the enemy, so that you win by combat res and take away their steadfast.  If you have supporting detachments or cavalry hitting the enemy flanks, those units can run down the fleeing enemy while your griffon unit stays pinned in place.  I'm even envisioning winning in a pacifistic sort of way.  An Arch Lector, front-and-center wearing the White Cloak, combined with buffs from the Lore of Light, could have the enemy hitting on 6s, with the unit getting Shield of Faith saves.  You deny them casualties, win by combat res, and so it goes.

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:19:52 PM »
Barded steed, fp, sh, 4++, 5pt sword for ethereal bashing.
i really like it, he's tough to take down with a 1+/4++
he can also take a GW/lance and other kit as necessary, and tend to run out with my IC knight group with grandmaster.

on foot, its usually nice and cheap: full plate, enchanted shield for a 2+. sometimes i'll give him a 4/5++ on top if i'm expecting heavy combat. i try to keep him out of the thick of it when on foot though
Compared to the state troops they are a gentle handjob on a friday evening - jaggedjimmyj in ref to knights

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
Before the Dawnstone was increased in cost, I used to take a BSB with great weapon, full plate', shield, Dawnstone and BSB upgrade. He often joined Greatswords or Halberds....