home

Author Topic: Good witch hunter builds in an infantry list  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Hero of Rome

• Members
Good witch hunter builds in an infantry list
« on: October 27, 2015, 07:58:54 PM »
Hey guys.

After having mixed success with my cav list I going to start work on an infantry list, although all my models will be bought of Ebay and independent shops as much as I can.

Anyway me and my group often play at 3000 points and I want to include 3-4 with hunters in my list, due to the fluff, models and abilities (not to mention inspiration from Vermintide!). Anyway some of the builds that I had had in mind are.

Armour of destiny.

Sword of swift slaying and Potion of strength.

Sword of anti heroes and Potion of speed.

Ring of Volens, Gold sigil sword

Otherwise I will be giving them all braces of pistols and I also have an Arch lector and BSB to kit out defensively.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Good witch hunter builds in an infantry list
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:26:47 PM »
The Ring of Volans is not exactly cheap for a one use item and unlikely to be of much use to the WH, unless you have one or more Wizards with the same lore (which allows you some choice of spell for the Ring). The Ruby Ring of Ruin, on the other hand, is always useful to the WH.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 08:52:39 PM »
The Ruby Ring makes sense game-wise, but would a real Witch Hunter be using magic?

I keep my Witch Hunter cheap - his MR2 is what makes him worth (and his disposability). I also like that his pistols increase the effectiveness of stand and shoot.
cheers,
Lee

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:01:06 PM »
- No doubt, the RRoR has been blessed by the Grand Theogonist himself.
- MR2 is normally worth 30 points; 20 points for the rest of his abilities makes the WH a bargain, even though his chances of survival in CC (with or without magic items) against serious opponents are fairly slim.

I also like that his pistols increase the effectiveness of stand and shoot.

Not really.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Philhelm

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 03:19:39 AM »
I would recommend the Armor of Meteoric Iron.  I ran several smaller games with a witch hunter as my army general, mostly against Vampire Counts, and he managed to kill several vampire heroes and a lord.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:27:18 AM »
You could give one the Arabyan Carpet. It is more effective in the German version, as the "Tools of Judgement" rule apparently does not contain the words "In close combat."

On a side note: higher S is not necessarily better for the WH, as re-rolling to wound (if possible) increases the chance for a Killing Blow. 

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »
Units don't start shooting unitl their shortest ranged weapon is in range? Did I confuse this with some earlier edition?
cheers,
Lee

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 09:17:39 AM »
A commom misreading of the current rules. [Current? Well, you know...]

BRB p. 17:
"A Stand and Shoot reaction can be declared against an enemy unit that starts its charge outside the firing unit's maximum range — the shooting is resolved normally assuming the enemy is just within maximum range of the shooting unit's shortest-range."

If the enemy does not start his charge outside the firing unit's maximum range, this does not apply. Given the maximum range of most of our missile weapons, it is unlikely that a charge will start outside that range.

I think, the case of panic indicates the reason for the confusion: many seem still stuck in the 7th edition. However, the game mechanics are completely different now.

As the BRB says: the unit makes a normal, although out of sequence, shooting attack against the charging unit – a charging unit that has not moved yet from its starting position. You apply the normal rules for shooting from that position:
- LoS and frontal arc for each model are determined from that position.
- If the target panics, then it will move from that position.
- Cover is determined from that position. For instance, other units in between the shooters and the chargers at that position will provide hard cover, even though they may be gone, when the chargers actually move.

The only difference with normal shooting attacks is that models can even shoot when the target is not in range – it is now assumed to be in range. If the charger at that position is further away than half the weapon's maximum range, that weapon will suffer a -1 shooting modifier for long range.

BRB p. 39 does not say, nor even imply that all shooting is resolved at the maximum range of the shortest range weapon, just that the target is assumed to be in weapons’ range.  The BRB specifies that this benefit applies only when the enemy starts its charge outside the firing unit's maximum range. Then shooting is resolved normally assuming the enemy is just within maximum range of the shooting unit's shortest-ranged weapon.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:31:23 AM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

Offline Hero of Rome

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 11:03:20 AM »
Thanks for your help guys!

I was thinking about giving one of the hunters armor Meortoirc Iron, but I decided to give it to my Arch lector, although I will definitely be using the ruby ring instead of the ring of Volens.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »
Good witch hunter build
I didn't even know such a thing existed.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Rein

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 12:11:50 PM »
A commom misreading of the current rules. [Current? Well, you know...]

BRB p. 17:
"A Stand and Shoot reaction can be declared against an enemy unit that starts its charge outside the firing unit's maximum range — the shooting is resolved normally assuming the enemy is just within maximum range of the shooting unit's shortest-range."

If the enemy does not start his charge outside the firing unit's maximum range, this does not apply. Given the maximum range of most of our missile weapons, it is unlikely that a charge will start outside that range.

However it is allowed at all major tournaments.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 12:38:26 PM »
In previous discussions, it usually turned out that "allowed" meant that it was not covered in the tournament rules at all. At best, there was an ad hoc ruling by a judge, who, understandably, made a snap decision (which may or may not have been wrong) to keep the game flowing. After all, games are definitely not the place for lengthy discussions about the rules. And common misconceptions are not that likely to be challenged at tournaments in the first place, precisely because they are common.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:49:37 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »