home

Author Topic: 8th edition break tests questions  (Read 1351 times)

Lincon

8th edition break tests questions
« on: July 18, 2019, 12:11:27 PM »
Hello everyone,,
Empire versus orcs yesterday and there were some things we weren't sure about. Can you guys help?
1. I understand the double flee manoeuvre. Does this also work for break tests? He breaks, rolls 4 but is behind another unit. I pursue and roll 5. Is he dead or should I stop 1 inch before the other unit?

2. My unit of halberdiers are fleeing and take a casualty from an arrow. They keep fleeing and are not wiped out, right? That only happens when an enemy unit reaches me.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: 8th edition break tests questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 01:19:26 PM »
1. No, the two processes are completely different.
- A Flee Reaction happens when charges are declared: in that sub-phase, your roll the distance for and actually move the fleeing unit. However, at this point, the charging units does not roll nor move. Other units may also declare a charge against the fleeing unit, which would then need to flee again. Only after all charges have been declared, the charges are resolved  and you roll the charge distance for and move the pursuing unit(s), which must come into actual contact with the fleeing unit to destroy it. Even if the charge roll is higher than the flee roll, the fleeing unit is not destroyed, if the charging unit cannot contact it (e.g. because of intervening units - hence the double flee tactic). 

- In the case of a Break Test, you first roll to flee and immediately afterwards roll to pursue: "if the victorious unit's pursuit roll is equal to or greater than the Flee roll scored by the fleeing enemy unit, the fleeing unit is completely destroyed where they stand"  (BRB p. 56)
Only if the flee roll is greater than the pursue roll, you actually move the units. In that case, BRB p. 58 specifies: "If a pursuit move would take the pursuer into contact with an enemy unit, then the pursuers must charge the enemy unit. (...) the charged unit is taken by surprise by this impromptu assault — it is not allowed to take any charge reactions and must Hold. (...) Even if the charged unit was already fleeing, it still cannot take any charge reactions. Move the pursuers into contact with it as you would for a unit completing a charge against a fleeing unit (see page 23). The fleeing unit is then immediately destroyed and the pursuing unit is allowed one final reform."

2. Yes.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:19:12 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)