home

Author Topic: Reikland pblog - WIP BSB.. Need help picking face :(  (Read 16832 times)

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
Re: Reikland pblog ( need help painting greenskin blood )
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 01:32:43 AM »
LOTR orcs have black blood.

GW orcs have changed. They used to have green blood, since as plant-like creatures, they had algae-like chlorophyll containing blood. But later one of the 'Eavy Metal painters made a distinction of using red because it contrasted better with the green skin. As there is no real continuity (Or rather continuity changes for the sake of convenience) I say paint the blood as whatever you want.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline borgar

• Members
  • Make war not sense
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 07:15:26 AM »
I've always used regular old red. if slightly dark.
blood in a different color just don't look gory and intimidating to me.

men, elves, dwarves and lizardmen as far as i know, all bleed red.
so why not orcs?

blood for the blood god! in all the colors of the rainbow :icon_twisted:

EDIT: lovely troops, i got a bit carried away with the blood :icon_redface:
especially the banner, champion and swordsman (always loved that model, even though the blood looks like it has heavy fuel oil consistency)

the shading on the white and the subtle red highlights are great
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:25:55 AM by borgar »
As for borgar - you sir are a genius.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 12:18:13 AM »
If blood is transporting oxygen, then it probably uses haemoglobin - which is red. There aren't many other chemical options - although you could say "magic!" and be done. The 'Eavy Metal painter (and the box artists) did make the distinction it was red to contrast, but (I believe) Andy Chambers offered the "in universe" explanation that photosynthesis only happened at the surface of the skin, so the interior blood was red.

This same point was made to a friend of mine when he asked the actor playing a character in "Return to the Forbidden Planet" stage musical why his skin was green, but the inside of his ears was pink.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline diMarko

• Members
Re: Reikland pblog - champ done, maby to mutch ?
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »
Need C+C. Im 50-50 of droping him in a jar with aciton as i think i overdid it with the blood and white hat feather's

Offline The Real Rick Salamone

• Members
  • Kelly Clarkson Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
Don't strip that model.  You didn't overdo the blood..., rather the sculptor overdid the blood on the figure.
EEFL!
Eighth Edition for Life!

Join us at:

eefl.freeforums.net

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
Don't strip him, he looks great. Just paint more shades to the feather and the whole mini and it's ok.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 06:32:57 PM »
I agree, don't strip it. I would be perfectly happy with the paintjob and leave it as it is, but yeah, I understand that you might feel there is a bit too much blood on the cloth - but if that's the case, why not just paint white over it? And I don't think there is anything wrong with the feather, but he would look good with a brown or red hat. But just paint over it if you agree - don't strip it. The sword, face and puff and slash all look great.

Just a few ideas if you're not happy with it.

Offline Heinrich Kramer

• Members
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »
Please don't strip it - I would be well happy with it. Only thing I would do is as suggested make the hat and feather different colours and maybe use gloss varnish on the blood to make it more wet looking.

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »
I would change the colour of the blood.

I also use red to as a main colour on my models. (you use a red regimental colour so it seems)  adding red blood on the blade is to much IMO. So I decided to go for green gore instead of well... red blobs.
Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »
I would add some more shine to the blood.
Bane from Warhammer.org.uk has a good receipt, but I can't find it at the moment.
You needed these inkts: Red, Purple & Black. With different mixtures you can get fresh blood, dried, ...
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Slavik

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »
Just dropped by to say that I've had the excact banner design in mind. Maybe I'll change the colors but keep the cross.  :::cheers:::

Anyway good looking start, I like the captain. And  to mention those very nice bases.
The reason for my uniform being a slightly different color to yours is never explained.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »
Need C+C. Im 50-50 of droping him in a jar with aciton as i think i overdid it with the blood and white hat feather's

What The Real Rick Salamone said. No need to strip it! (Even if I perfectly understand your feelings as I was on the verge of doing the same with my miners some weeks ago)

I'd change the colour of the hat though.

Offline diMarko

• Members
Re: Reikland pblog - And so the first GS was born!
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
Thanks you all for your supporT :) I repainted the hat only.

Here is a bad taken picture with my 1st GS. C and C are welcome :)..

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 12:57:29 AM »
The figure looks pretty good. I liked the white hat but the re-painted figure is still very nice.

The 1st GS looks promising as the unit is shaping up nicely, though the feather could do with a bit of shading, maybe just a wash, but minor criticism only.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 04:06:07 AM »
I agree with most of what's been said. I like the blood the way you did it, and it's a good looking figure overall.

I do agree with Hendrid, though. I liked the white hat too. I might agree about the feather, but it's hard to tell from the photo. The rest of the GS looks great. I'm guessing that the feather is probably OK too, just hard to see.

Nice painting all around. I like your bases, too.

:::cheers:::

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 09:02:22 AM »
The brown hat looks much better ...  :eusa_clap:

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »
I like the brown hat. The GS looks really good too, especially the metallics: how did you paint them?

Offline diMarko

• Members
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 01:07:53 PM »
Thanks again guys and i uset some wash on the feather to make it look better!

Maza, Its really easy tbh. base coat black.. then paint chainmail when dry i do a 50-50 mix black and asgrax with 1 3rd water and paint it over the metal i do another layer when dry on the parts i want to be darker.

When dry i highlight the areas i want to shine? with mithril silver but i do them abit thicker. Then i use chainmail again thined out with water and start from the thicker part of the mithril towards the dark endges.

when dry again i mix black was with water id say 30 black -70 water and try to wash the parts where the mithril and chainmail conect.

Hope you understand what im saying as im not sure myself if i uderstad what i just said  :eusa_wall:

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2012, 06:54:19 PM »
Add my vote for the brown hat, there's enough white on the model as it is.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 07:12:57 PM »
Thanks again guys and i uset some wash on the feather to make it look better!

Maza, Its really easy tbh. base coat black.. then paint chainmail when dry i do a 50-50 mix black and asgrax with 1 3rd water and paint it over the metal i do another layer when dry on the parts i want to be darker.

When dry i highlight the areas i want to shine? with mithril silver but i do them abit thicker. Then i use chainmail again thined out with water and start from the thicker part of the mithril towards the dark endges.

when dry again i mix black was with water id say 30 black -70 water and try to wash the parts where the mithril and chainmail conect.

Hope you understand what im saying as im not sure myself if i uderstad what i just said  :eusa_wall:

Yes, I understand your method! Thanks!

Offline diMarko

• Members
Re: Reikland pblog - Painting sunday!
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2012, 06:33:53 PM »
Not been able to paint the last month due work and all the fotball. And so this morning i woke up to start paint my WP ( the finecast thing must be the worst thing ever ) that i easy can say is the only model so far that i have not enjoy painting.. took me abit over an houre to finnish so i started on the GS's i hade left behind and some houres later i done with 5 of them got some details and basing to do on a metal one and another 3 waiting to be done today..

If i keep it up like this id say im done with all 30 i got within this week. C and C's are more then welcome :)

Offline diMarko

• Members
Re: Reikland pblog - Unit filer
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »
Just made a unit filer for my hord movment tray, the tray is not painted yet so thats why its on a 5x4 man tray

If i put it up front

Can also put it in the back and on the side on a hord unit

Should i make it more "fun" using the monkey staring at zombies coming out of the ground?

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
Brilliant idea for a filler and it looks great with men behind it.

Did you glue regular bases together to make it?

My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"

Offline diMarko

• Members
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »
Brilliant idea for a filler and it looks great with men behind it.

Did you glue regular bases together to make it?

Yeah dident have anything else to use    :oops:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 03:00:23 PM »
A good way to glue regular bases together for a unit filler etc. is to use a very thin sheet of plasticard as a base; use plastic cement to glue the bases down (line them up with a straight edge) and leave a bit of thin plasticard around it. Put a flat heavy thing on the top and let it dry. Then, take some modelling putty and squish it into the gaps good and tight. Don't let that go over the top of the base, but let it squish out the sides. Heavy weight on it again, and let it cure about 70% of the way.

Then, take a VERY sharp scalpel and trim the excess putty and plasticard off. Let it cure (again, with the weight) and yay! :)
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.