home

Author Topic: Hegel's Altdorf Army - Finished my general on his griffon from the north!  (Read 15772 times)

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
Hegel’s painting log

Good day all this will be my first painting log so whish me luck.

Edit: I am finally back from my Master Thesis so I hope to update some more, and get down to some good painting times!

Altdorf – The Empire

It is the year 2521 Karl Franz still reigns as Emperor, but dark forces creep upon the Empire. From the South East the Vampire Counts of Sylvania look upon the realm with hungry eyes, and the threat of Chaos looms evermore in the North. Next to that there are all manners of foul creatures in the deep woods, and great mountains. Orc Warbands march forth and leave nothing but a barren wasteland behind, Beastmen stalk the small townsfolk, and Skaven poison the very water the people drink.

An Empire divided against itself cannot stand, and the Elector Counts are not a dependable source of strength for the Emperor. It is therefor required that he depends upon the generals and armies of the imperial city Altdorf. The very place where Karl Franz rules and the Colleges of Magic have been established so many years ago. One of these dependable generals is Michaël Hanzer, a growing star and the leader of the IXth army.

Michaël Hanzer
Rogue, swindler, con artist, adventurer, womanizer... scoundrel. Not the characteristics you would look for in a general, yet but a few years ago these very words would most clearly describe Hanzer. Before becoming an army general, Hanzer led a life which was marked only the everlasting search for more money and the quest to obtain rare antiquities. Chasing damsels along the way, Hanzer was a noble boy who had fallen out of grace with his father. Third in line to heir his father's etates, what was there to do for him but to venture out into the world?

Braving the jagged peaks of the grey mountains where he stole a magic ring of Orc warboss Jingor, which holds powers that haven't even revealed themselves to Hanzer yet. Rather the wild youth dared to venture further into the orld world and to the Arabian deserts. Lured by tales of buried treasures in ancients crypts. Hanzer also had multiple dealings with the criminal underworld of Marienburg. It was here that he met his companion, and some say lover, Evaernia the Wood Elf spellsinger. Together with her and his loyal friend the Warrior Priets Markus Raeder he slew the Vampire Countess Sendara von Ottwald in her unholy Sylvanian castle.

All in all Hanzer was never considered army material by anyone, but it seems the Emperor has somehow convinced him to serve the realm. How the leader of men has achieved such a feat remains unclear.

Model to be painted:

Evaernia
One of Hanzers most faithful companions is the Asrai Spellsinger Evaernia. It is an uncommon thing for an Elf, let alone one who hails from the woods of Athel Loren, to reside in the realms of men. Concerning Evaernia's past only rumours exist. Some say she was banished from Athel Loren because of her love for a human, others speak of her misusing her magical gifts for personal gain, and some just dare to whisper but a name... Slaanesh. 

Arrogance is a trait not uncommon for Elves, and those who have dealt with Evaernia mention the coldness and aloofness of her character. One of these persons is count Ramwold Kläsen, someone who dissaproved of both Hanzer's and Evaernia's appointment for the IXth army. All rumours aside, Evaernia has the full confidence of Hanzer whom she has met during his time in Marienburg. Since then she has joined him on many adventures and battlefields, including various confrontations with Chaos cultists and the exploration of several Vampire hideouts, and she has served the Empire proudly ever since. 

Erwin Raedersen
Two wizards guide the XIth army, one of them is the infamous grey wizard Erwin Raedersen. Raedersen is not a man of noble birth, hailing from the city of Essen, his father was a blacksmith. His magical talents however were not noted until he was almost an adult. Unable to find any work he roamed cities of the Empire, until he chanced upon a job as a runner for noble families. Carrying there much needed letters. He was hailed as a prime example of the Altdorf Post. Even crossing the 50% barrier. But of course nobody truly needs mail, and it wasn't long before Erwin found himself out of work again. Soon he picked up what he owned and traveled on to the southern lands of Tilea. Here he lived for a while in the city of Luccini where he worked as a help for a local baker. That was untill he supposedly met master Petrucci...

And it his here that Erwin Raedersen gained his infamy, for master Giovanni Petrucci has always been rumoured to have experimentented with the foul arts of Necromancy. An adept of the lore of Metal, Petrucci has been linked with all sorts of dark activities and plots. His whereabouts are currently unknown, but it is said he had taken Raedersen as his pupil. One thing is for sure, that is that in Tileafor the first time Raedersen tapped into his arcane powers, and when he returned to the Empire, he joined the Grey Order at the Colleges of Magic.

But is there to more to Raedersen than meets the eyey? Are his eyes set upon darker things, foul things that stalk the night? Rumours spread of townsfolk having seen him wandering around cemeteries in the middle of the night. Here Raedersen is said to do all sorts of vile experiments on corpses. These are however still rumours, and it has not stopped Hanzer to include Raedersen in his IXth army. And in all honesty Raedersen's battlefield accomplishments have been remarkable, saving the army many times with an awesome magical display. It also was Raedersen who helped Hanzer steal his magic ring from the Orc warboss Jingor, yet the rumours about Raedersen persist...

Günther von Dreidorf is the other wizard who supports the battles of the XIth army. Born of noble blood he appears to be quite to opposite of Raedersen. A light wizard whose love for the social life is quite apparent. He is quite often seen at royal banquets and festivities staying up till late. Although the rules of the College of Light are not open to outsiders it is very uncommon to see a light wizard drinking. There have been days that Dreidorf showed up drunk at the dawn of battle, although there has up till now never been a sign of weakness on his part.

Second or at least third in command if we Evaernia is not counted is warrior priest Markus Raedersen the older brother of Erwin. Markus Like Erwin comes from a humble family in Essen. It was here that he first had a vision of serving Sigmar, and thus left his hometown at an early age. Becoming one of the most adept Warrior Priests in Altdorf, Markus was however unable to deal with the corruption he found in the institution. He left with his faith shaken. How could a deity so pure as Sigmar accept an order so corrupt?

Markus traveled the Old World. Crossing the channel to ancient Albion where he allegedly studied with the druids and some say he even crossed the great sea towards the Elven homeland of Ulthuan and conversed with the Phoenix king. In any case Markus returned invigorated ready to purge everything that threathened his beloved Empire. This is also the reason his younger brother Erwin has not been persecuted by Witch Hunters. Surely a Warrior Priest as pure as Markus would have condemned all who practiced the dark arts. Or could it be even Markus has been tained during his travels? Could it be he has encountered far more dark and gothic beings. Gossipers speak of him crossing the seas to the Dark Elves homeland of Naggaroth.

This all remains to be seen in the future when the IXth army is unavoidably tested again against the dark forces of this world. Up until now however Markus his fury towards the forces of evil has been astonishing. This has led him into ever growing danger fighting Chaos and Undead wherever he could find it. It is said that Sigmar himself has awarded him with his Crimson red armour after the defeating of Chaos cultist and nobleman Adrian von Hogentorn. Some soldiers would describe watching Markus in battle as if Sigmar’s life force has taking over him, a fearful sight… for his enemies.

The rest is still WiP. Working on a backstory for my Steam Tank commander and my regimental commanders and knightly order

In the next couple of weeks I hope to flesh out a story and put some pictures up from my army. In the mean time I have a few pictures which I have already taken and would like to share and possibly get some feedback on.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:19:33 PM by Georg Hegel »

Offline Maza

• Members
Re: Hegel's Altdorf Army WiP
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:49:38 PM »
Your work looks really great. In particular I like the highlights on the steam tank! I've never seen it done like that before.  :eusa_clap:

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 08:56:06 PM »
Tnx for the nice words Maza. I try to make it my centerpiece though it takes loads of time :D

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:03:52 PM »
I love that warrior priest. The deep crimson armour and NMM hammer are truly excellent! He does need pupils, though (unless you are going for a filled-with-Sigmar's-spirit look?)

Your army looks great, you have a very bold painting style, and I like it a lot.

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:02:20 PM »
Tnx mate, I already used some of your comments for my backstory ;) Still doubtful on his eyes. I fear giving them to him would make him seem too human but don't know if I'm quite happy with the result now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:05:38 PM by Georg Hegel »

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:38:10 PM »
I would invest more time in painting the eyes, now they sort of ruin the whole impression.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Belak

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:17:21 AM »
Nice backstory and really nice NMM on the WP and steamtank. That Stank will be a great looking centrepiece.

I relation to the eyes, a trick I use when I accidentally paint a 'surprised' look, is to just go back and touch up  the flesh highlight on the models cheeks. This will 'narrow' up the eyeline nicely. Make sure you paint the pupil on first though because you won't want to go back and do it twice.

Maybe your wizard is also a master hypnotist though  :icon_razz:
Nordland City of Salzenmund Landsnecht
W/D/L
20/14/17

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:45:46 AM »
I have been working on the eyes. Not sure yet if this will be the final version. Tnx for all the great reply's btw.

Not yet sure on the hypnotist powers of that wizard, but he does look a bit untrustworthy ;)

Please bear in mind btw, that the Warrior Priest and Steam Tank are my latest models. So other models will be not up to the same quality, but I like to see my own learning curve.

Atm I have:

1 General (Unpainted)
1 Wood Elf Spellsinger (will function as a Life Wizard) (Yet to buy)
2 Wizards
1 Warrior Priest
8 Knights
16 Knights (unpainted for another knightly order)
40 Swordsmen
20 Halberdiers
10 Archers (unpainted)
10 Crossbowmen (unpainted)
2 Great Cannons (unpainted)
1 Mortar (unpainted)
1 Steam Tank (unpainted)

So there is much to be done...

Oh and does anyone have any tips on how to get a solid background for your pictures in an easy way? I will soon take them at day time which will of course make them better to look at.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:09:08 PM by Georg Hegel »

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 08:52:20 PM »
nice work so far but I would suggest to turn the sword on your general so the flames point the other way.
it would look better and more realistic in my opinion. Just my suggestion
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Grizzled Hochlander

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »
These are really great. My only suggestion would be to flip the flaming sword. Other than that, keep up the awesome work!
GH :::cheers:::

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »
Actually I think the sword is fine the way it is. That suggests to me that he is swinging the sword up for a strike. That is how the flames would trail in such a movement.

Very good work, I look forward to seeing more.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 03:18:57 PM »
Well I've been thinking about the Sword as well. The problem is that the sword is of the wizard kit, which is connected at the hand. If I cut the sword of to turn it around the it will become very prone to breaking.

So I'm not sure how to do that.

I could idd always say that he's swinging the sword upwards ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:51:02 PM by Georg Hegel »

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 05:55:49 PM »
Being plastic it should be ok. A tiny plastic pin might help if you've being super-careful.
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »
You mean drill a hole in the sword? Mmm worth contemplating.

Luckily the general isn't up for painting yet, I will think about it.

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 07:04:18 PM »
Maybe a hot pin, rather than a drill, unless you have really tiny bits.
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »
Mmm worth trying idd.

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »
Steam Tank update. It's nearly finished:

Now just a few small parts and the driver. I intent to steal Chumly Warner's idea for the young brash driver. The duellist.

Edit: I have already finished the boiler, but haven't photographed it yet.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:22:55 PM by Georg Hegel »

Offline JensDk

• Members
Re: Hegel's Altdorf Army WiP *Steam Tank update*
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30:25 PM »
I really like the colour-fading on the steamtank. Good job on that. The metalics look a bit flat, is it NMM in a poor lighting, or what is going on? Blue inks?

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »
I have used only shades of grey, green, yellow, red and blue. No metallic paints.

Could be that they look a bit flat. It's the first time I tried NMM on an object this big. So it could be the poor lighting or just me not having the technique down quite as well yet ;)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 11:22:43 PM »
Well, I think it looks splendid - really lovely technique for the shading and highlights on the armor of the tank. Very different to what we usually see.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
Alright back from my Master Thesis, let's update some stuff!

First off let's show off my completed Steam Tank:

Backstory will be coming soon...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:25:49 PM by Georg Hegel »

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »
Then for some stuff I have already completed (except for the bases):

My Halberdiers (not my show off unit, but then they were one of my first):

My Swordsmen:

Including captain and standard bearer:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:28:08 PM by Georg Hegel »

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 03:48:40 PM »
Two completed cannon's and crew. One of the cannon's is a really old model, but hey who am I to toss it away?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:29:12 PM by Georg Hegel »

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »
My first knightly order:

The Knights of the lost Casket. Veterans of the Arabian Crusades this brave order only formed after the crusades in Araby were done and Sultan Jaffar defeated. Composed of the most courageous of the knights off all the orders, including those of the Knights Panther and Knights of the Blazing Sun, these knights decided to venture further into the desert to fight evil whereever they might find it. Going deeper and deeper their endeavour took them right into the heartlands of Tomb King Shishuk. Looting and pillaging all that they came across. One night they found themselves camped nearby the wretched pyramid of Shishuk. Unbeknownst to the knights they had entered the realm of the supernatural. The armies of Shishuk had slumbered for centuries, but they were about to be awakened.

Spurred on by his two best friends, young knight Ditherich von Falkenhoven dared to enter the dark pyramid of Shishuk. Together with René the Bretonnian, and the moustached Herman von Isenbrohn, he tried to steal that which did not belong to them. Passing through ever deeper tunnels, with walls that were adorned with all sorts of beautiful hieroglyphs. Beautiful to them, but they in fact prophesized the ressurection of Shishuk. Inevitably the men were lost, even losing each other. Herman has said to have fallen into a pit of spikes when the floor fell away from him, and in the end only René and Ditherich made it out alive. Claiming their prize a Casket of Souls, which they had found deep beneath the pyramid.

The Casket became a symbol of victory for the crusading knights, which they carried before them in every battle. Their heroic feats made René and Diterich the onofficial leaders of the group, and they let them to victory after victory. Until during one battle a rogue arrow shot the Casket out of the hands of the men carrying it. Tumbling over the Casket was inadvertently opened, and the souls claimed for ages were released. Blasting through everything nearby at least fifty knights were incinerated instantly including René. That day Shishuk was reawakened and led a horde of undead to reclaim his property. The knights were forced to retreat back from whence they came, but the body of Ditherich was never recovered. Some say he is still out there waiting to exact revenge on Shishuk. The retreating knights formed and order and swore to reclaim the Lost Casket and bring back their first Grand Master Ditherich von Falkenhoven.

Preparing for ever more Crusades unto the land of Death, it is a rare man to employ them in his armies. Hanzer is such a man, but one can only guess what he would have promised the knights in return.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:31:03 PM by Georg Hegel »

Offline Georg Hegel

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 04:02:02 PM »
And Finally my latest work in progress. My second Knightly order:

Edit: They will be the Knights Aeliana

Knights Aeliana, or the Knights of the Fallen Countess
Neither a countess, nor in a fact a maiden, Aeliana was en route towards the city of Essen in the Ostermark. There she would be wed to the elector count Günther of said province. It was not to be however, for even as she was escorted by her father’s finest knights from Aquitaine, horrid eyes lurked upon them in the Great Forest. It was near the cursed city of Mordheim when a herd of Beastmen under the chieftain Telcag fell upon them. Knight after knight was skewered and crushed by their unholy powers and mighty weapons. When all was done, none were left amongst the living but Aeliana. Then she was taken.

The beasts tortured her, maimed her, befouled her, until all life had left her body. Yet when they were done with her, they threw her corpse away carelessly. Too carelessly. For it fell upon a shard of daemonic warpstone, that had crashed down ages ago. It was not long before she rose again. The green daemonic powers flowed through her when she laid her terrible vengeance upon the herd, and its evil chieftain, Telcag. None were spared in the carnage. Afterwards she returned to her fallen escorts and resurrected knight after fallen knight. Imbued with the same unholy green energy, they were destined to serve Aeliana forever.

Centuries passed. When a man by the name Michael Hänzer and his elven companion Evaernia crossed into the Great Forest. Then but two unknown adventurers. It was not long before several neon green lances were at their throat. When they were taken before the countess it was Hänzer who persuaded her to direct her vengeance not just at the Beastmen, but against all those who would see the world of men end. Though Evaernia advised against it Hänzer now regularly employs the Knights Aeliana against his enemies. Often spurred on by their unholy mistress herself. For the enemies of men are legion, and neither Beastmen, nor Vampire, nor Tomb King escapes her deadly retribution. 

I'm planning on using 14 of these knights in rows of 5. Which leaves of course an opening for a final model, which I plan to be a ghostly apparition. I am considering possibly a heroic knightly character painted as a ghost, Empire, Bretonnia or perhaps an Elven hero on steed.

Anyway here are pictures of my latest WIP Knights:

1 General (Unpainted)
1 Dark Elf Witch (will function as a Life Wizard) (Yet to buy)
2 Wizards
1 Warrior Priest
8 Knights
14 Knights (WIP)
1 Heroic ghostly character to be added to knights (Yet to buy)
40 Swordsmen
20 Halberdiers
10 Archers (unpainted)
10 Crossbowmen (5 done, 5 to go)
2 Great Cannons
1 Mortar (1 crew member done, rest still to be done)
1 Steam Tank

I really like to know what you guys think of it all!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:32:28 PM by Georg Hegel »