home

Author Topic: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)  (Read 88400 times)

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
Re: Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort)
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2009, 03:45:05 PM »
Alphonse kept his bow trained on the leader, his huntsmen stepped from the trees and bushes around the cavalry, some twelve skilled archers armed with powerful hunting bows, short swords and a pistol each.

"What do you mean you're not the men we're looking for?! We saw what you and your friends did to those innocent villagers back at the settlement."

Now that Alphonse could get a closer look at the men, he could tell they were no mercenaries, they carried only limited provisions and all were bedecked in the same colours.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2009, 03:48:30 PM »
"We're not the men who destroyed that town; we sent the orphans back to our headquarters for safekeeping, we're following the trail of the raiders east.  We're soldiers, from Schwarzbaum."
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2009, 03:54:33 PM »
Guys, don't want to interrupt the fun, but 20 guys on horseback from Estalia are only going to be able to create so much havoc, before larger forces in the Border Princes begin to respond.  And even enemies might find themselves joining together to rid themselves of a nusiance acting in a chaotic manner. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
  • Be better then a man, join the waagh effort!
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »
((Thats the Idea, I'm just suprised its takeing this long, yay for confussion. Also remember, its only been 3 days.))
Scream WAAAGH and let slip the Boars of war!

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »
((Why does it not surprise me that was your answer?   :icon_wink:))
The first school of thought is that the ragged-assed Stirlanders, not having two coppers to rub together, nicked it when an elven envoy was passing through the area and had hopped off it to take a pee behind a tree

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »
((I feel like the glue that bonds people together... to fight me though. Yay, I'm sticky!))

((Side note! Only 4 have gone down, all of which small villages, same as the first, barely dots on the map. There is only 20, not an army.))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:06:04 PM by Fog Of Waagh »

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
Alphonse lowered his bow, his men following suit.

"Thats good to know, we're hunting those bastards too" Alphonse walked up to the Dawnstrider, offering his hand, "I am Alphonse de Bello, from the village of Vlasllaw, a few miles back. We were foraging in this area when we came across the village."

Well tbh, his men are the 'Police Force' and my huntsmen characters are local villagers

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2009, 04:05:31 PM »
Frederick took the man's hand in his gauntlet, shaking.  "I am Under-Marshall Frederick, of the Border Sentinels.  If you want to hop on, we're going to ride hard to the east to catch these men.  If not, we'll bring you the heads when you catch up."

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »
Alphonse chuckled at this comment. "Mighty kind of you, But my men and I know these trails like our own noses, we'll catch you up fast enough" With a short nod, the huntsmen loped away once again, clutching their weapons.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2009, 04:16:23 PM »
Frederick did not wait for any more pleasantries, he spurred his horse and the knights were off as fast as the horses could carry them.  They rode for hours, relentless, intent on catching their foe.  After a few hours of riding, they came across the remains of a camp site; a burnt out fire pit, discarded bottles of wine and kegs, and half-eaten spoils laying about in the sun. These bandits had apparently been lazily making their way along, content to get drunk off their plunder and amble to their next target.  Frederick and his men found this to be great news; if they hurried, they could indeed catch up with the men.  The orphans said the attack was only two or three days ago, and if they raiders moved this slow, his knights could be upon them by sunset, or earlier!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2009, 04:21:24 PM »
((I feel like the glue that bonds people together... to fight me though. Yay, I'm sticky!))
Fog, I got to tell you, I've seen folks spoil these kinds of things before, and I sincerely hope you are participating to add to the overall story.  This isn't about anyone of us, its about creating a story centered around the concept of an effort by those claiming Solland heritage and their attempt to reclaim there ancestor's former glory.  The end result is intended for the Solland Effort to fail, but along the way this gives folks plenty of things to write about, reasons to play WFB, and maybe even motivate some of us to do some painting and modeling.  We support everyone's participation, and we are thrilled that this has now extended itself into the realm of the Border Princes, but we don't want anyone coming through and leading things off in a direction that detracts from the over all event that we are all contributing to, so let's be careful.  One way that has been working for us is to have a plan for how we want to take things, communicating via pm behind the scenes with others involved, and then coordinating our efforts (without spoiling creativity) as we post on the Ex-Solland thread and here in this Border Prince thread.  This event isn't intended to be competitive, but instead cooperative.  In the stories seen on the threads there will be sides in conflict with one another, but off the threads we are all cooperating together to tell the overall story as it moves towards its eventual conclusion. :icon_wink: :icon_cool:

By the way, the event's original time frame was for it to last much longer than a typical campaign event usually does.  We have this thing set out for the course of 2009, and running the fantasy timeline to some extent in parallel with the actual calendar.  This gives everyone time to chat behind the scenes, develop stories, and incorporate games or whatever into the over all event without the pressures of a campaign style event.  Plenty of time for coordinating our efforts without needing to do things too quickly and thus enhance the fun. :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2009, 04:34:23 PM »
   ((Games Poet, I am aware fo your concern, and I think Toro can vouch for me, there is more to it then just these 20 Estalians. I've been a major player in Rp and stories for some time now and I can swear to you, I will never do anything to take the story off its path. If you look at the grand scheme of what is going on, only 20 men, a band of Dawnstriders, and 10 huntsmen are involved in this little side scene. It is by no means a major event nore to be taken as such. The majority of fluff and story has yet to be expressed, this was simpely a small enterence and it is being greeted as such. 40 men are not going to turn the tide of the world nore change and alter a story. This is truely just a side bit of Rp and fun that we are tossing around. The Main story line is between The main characters, these are all simpley, to be put in Startrek's terms, red shirts. Careful not to blow this out of porportion, I think you are seeing these events larger then what they are.))

The 20 knights finished off the last runner. Trotting back they took a head count of the points they gained. Rodreigo, looks up up and with a slight sigh mumbles. "I only got 4 of the rats..10 points total. . . These towns are too small, the people too barbaric... Its loosing its fun already! Maybe, if we are lucky, a real challenge might show itself! Some green skins, or some real bandits eh?! None of these, peasant farmers and their pitch forks!" This was only greeted by grunts from the other knights. It was true, they did not enjoy this land, and they thought even less of the people. They did not see what Leon saw, they did not see what their Lord saw, they did not see why they were here. Traveling on in their Ignorant bliss, they left the ruins of the camp towns behind. Knowing full well these people did not have gold, nore riches, these were poor beggars to them...
   The knights crossed the great field and over through the farm lands, back onto the dirt road. Knowing if they fallowed it, they would come back to the town Leon was staying at. Rodreigo could not help but pipe up, "4 camp towns, 3 days, you would think this land would have some order, or something worth fighting eh?!" The knight closest to Rodreigo only grunted out, "You would also think the women would be attractive... Seems that's not going to happen either..." The men chuckled to themselves as they marched back to the town. To them, currently, it was a good day.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2009, 04:42:56 PM »
((I can vouch for Fog of Waagh; he's quite fond of little things like this that add richness to a story, but are too small to actually impact the greater goings-on.  From what I know of him, these are a handful of drunken conquistadors who are abusing their relative power compared to the villagers, and are going to get what's coming to them.  There's rarely attachment between Fog of Waagh and his characters; more than anything, I think he's expecting his brutish band to wind up a smear on the earth before they can do much else, and I'm happy to oblige him.  :icon_twisted:  So, let me think of a post to accomplish that...))

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »
I think he's expecting his brutish band to wind up a smear on the earth before they can do much else, and I'm happy to oblige him.  :icon_twisted:  So, let me think of a post to accomplish that...))

((Yep! *Pops the bubbles.* Back to the story!))

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2009, 04:58:07 PM »
  ((Games Poet, I am aware fo your concern, and I think Toro can vouch for me, there is more to it then just these 20 Estalians. I've been a major player in Rp and stories for some time now and I can swear to you, I will never do anything to take the story off its path. If you look at the grand scheme of what is going on, only 20 men, a band of Dawnstriders, and 10 huntsmen are involved in this little side scene. It is by no means a major event nore to be taken as such. The majority of fluff and story has yet to be expressed, this was simpely a small enterence and it is being greeted as such. 40 men are not going to turn the tide of the world nore change and alter a story. This is truely just a side bit of Rp and fun that we are tossing around. The Main story line is between The main characters, these are all simpley, to be put in Startrek's terms, red shirts. Careful not to blow this out of porportion, I think you are seeing these events larger then what they are.))
Sounds good to me.  I wasn't seeing anything as being too large, just being certain with a newer participant to the event.  And I appreciate what you have said, and your participation.  :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »
((In all honestly, I find this to be more filler fluff to pass the time as we wait for the main story line to progress. Since we don't want to Rush the main plot, we can take our time and play around with some side stories.))

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2009, 05:01:48 PM »
Okay, two-for-one here to make sure the neglected Stefan arrives today as planned.  Let's assume it took longer because he's so fat

The Gates of Schwarzbaum, IC 2524.

The gates to the city opened as the carriage of Stefan Vitec arrived, a few hours later than expected.  As Otto feared, the incomplete road broke a wheel on the carriage; however, it did force Stefan to exit and observe the delay, and take a good look at the condition of the completed road.  Otto noted that he'd said little, mostly observing and waiting for his staff to bring him a mid-morning snack to calm his nerves after the inconvenience.  Who knew what he thought of their road and ambitions plans?  The city itself was surrounded by a stout stone wall, with soldiers marching atop it on patrol.  The town had grown from a small farming village to a decent sized trade city, and the walls encompassed the current homes and shops, with the fields outside them.  As they made their way through the wooden buildings, they occasionally passed by walls or open parks, the remnants of older fields and walls as the city had grown.  Dominating the center of the city was Dawnbringer Hold, a decent sized fortress that had been damaged during Waaagh Gazrag! and rebuilt after the black orc was sent fleeing with his ruined horde.  The fortress' courtyard contained a section of heavy cavalry similar to Otto's, and armored greatswords handling the sentry duties.  They were highly visible in their polished plate armor, massive zweihanders either upon their backs or in their hands, depending on their post.  The gates to the fortress' courtyard opened, granting access to the caravan of wagons, horsemen, and Stefan Vitec's personal carriage.  Arathos waited in the courtyard clad in his best armor and sword upon his hip, standing alongside the massive vehicle that Brimcon had dubbed "The Emerald Wind", the Dawnstrider Legion's steam tank.  As the door to the carriage opened, Arathos moved forward to greet his guest.

A village of roughly 200 people, somewhere in the Border Princes

It took them the better part of the day, but Frederick and his men arrived at a town where the trail seemed to end.  He wasn't sure where the Huntsmen were, but it occured to him that they might know plenty of shortcuts and could be upon them soon enough (he doubted men on foot could beat them here, but he supposed skilled scouts made anything possible).  The knights rode into the town's center, and Frederick allowed the first bit of his anger to be vented in his demand to the people.
     "Who here has seen foreign horsemen clad in yellows and reds?!  Bring them out, or tells us where they went!"

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2009, 05:08:35 PM »
   A local guard, eyeing the bunch and seeing the symbol on their tabards, nods happily and approaches them. "I Know of who you speak... Strange men, funney Helms and a strange tongue about them... They road off. . . They were here for only a short bit. . . I heard they'be look'n for work... You here to hire them off? If so, I know one of them is in the Tavern still, he speaks a bit of our tongue, but he still keeps to himself..." The guard lazily points to one of the larger buildings in the town.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2009, 05:11:23 PM »
Frederick heard enough to give him a course.  He dismounted along with half a dozen of his men, the remaining number of his band stayed mounted and on the alert.  Frederick and his men stormed off to the tavern, walking inside without a word of warning or explanation.  As soon as he entered, Frederick scanned the room for this foreigner; he figured that the man he was looking for would stick out like a sore thumb.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2009, 05:13:19 PM »
Good old GP always looking out for us.
I'm under the impression (Correct me if I'm wrong), that these Estalians are a reconnaissance force for the much larger Conquistador army?

Schwarzbaum, Eastern Border Princes, IC 2524

Stefan was glad to step onto solid ground once more, though the journey had been much easier on his turbulent stomach than he feared. Perhaps these new roads were a good idea after all... Arathos was waiting for him as he stepped down, arm extended in friendship, which Stefan took, exchanging greetings with the man. His small, piggy eyes were instantly drawn to a strange contraption in the courtyard. He started laughing loudly.

"My friend! We are a little too far from the sea for you to be building boats!"

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2009, 05:17:04 PM »
   Sitting at a table, drinking the local drink, can be seen Leon. He does truly stick out, his native clothes being of red and yellow. Currently, his crescent helm has been replaced by a larger hat with a grand feather plum stuck in it. On the table before him, are papers, quills, ink pots and other related instruments. He was mid writing something before the Dawnstrider burst into the room. Looking up, holding his quill still, he stares at them oddly for a few moments. He then carries it off with a shrug and goes back to writing on the paper.

Offline Toro_Blanco

• Members
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2009, 05:19:12 PM »
Arathos gritted his teeth; he could see over Stefan's shoulder that Otto was losing what little patience remained within him.  Arathos simply chuckled, and turned patting the man's shoulder.  "Boat?  No no, my good man.  This is a steam tank, and it is here to give you, a most warm welcome."  The cannon mounted in the turrent titled towards the sky, and a thunderous boom was heard as the cannon mounted in the front fired.  There was no ammunition loaded into the barrel, only powder and packing to ensure a good salute.  The turret cannon followed with a gout of scalding hot steam blasting into the sky, demonstrating the power of the device.  Arathos turned back to Stefan, waiting for his reaction.

Meanwhile, at the Tavern...

Frederick and his men moved to the table, the six knights surrounding Leon as Frederick stared down at him.  "You, do you speak Reikspiel?"

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2009, 05:20:36 PM »
((Yes and no. These are just guards for the Messanger Leon. The actuall force, is a long way away, and even that can barely be called a force. It is the men under Donixote, so 200-300 men max. The Majority of the Estalian army is in Estalia, and will most likely never leave. So even still the Estalians lack numbers. I truely don't have plans to be a major player in this story, just like Arathos I'm off to the side throwing my stick into the lot when it needs to, maybe takeing sides, but for the most part, leaveing the major story plot to those who have a stake or tie in Solland. My Estalians are just like the Tileans, Mercs.))

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »
((In all honestly, I find this to be more filler fluff to pass the time as we wait for the main story line to progress. Since we don't want to Rush the main plot, we can take our time and play around with some side stories.))
Yes, sounds like you have a good idea going, and by the way, I like your avatar, too! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Fog Of Waagh

• Members
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2009, 05:22:46 PM »
    Leon, looking up from his work, eyes the Man. Takeing the time to register what he had spoken, translateing it in his head. Nodding he holds his fingers up, nearly pinching his index finger and thumb together. "I speak.... uh... Little... You come for work, or do you have.... uh... offer?"