home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 301237 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Wood Elves & a tree)
« Reply #1475 on: January 28, 2020, 01:22:36 PM »
Is that a Reaper Dire Bear? Just bought one of those to be a playmate for my Stone Giants. He's a whopper!

I think I now know what to add to your parcel though  :icon_wink:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1476 on: January 28, 2020, 01:24:37 PM »
It is not. I have a few of the Reaper bears myself.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1477 on: January 28, 2020, 08:21:13 PM »
The one on the right is a Reaper Bones dire bear. The one on the left is the companion of the elf in the middle - from Grenadier. The Reaper figure is really nice, but I was hoping it was a little closer in size to the Grenadier bear.

I changed lights. Do these newer photos look a little too blue-ish? Or maybe too much light or glare?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #1478 on: January 29, 2020, 07:43:35 AM »
Reaper has a bear to scale in one of the Animal Companions sets. Their other bears, sold individually, tend to be 'heroic' scale.

Really like both of the bears!  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (played a game!)
« Reply #1479 on: February 02, 2020, 11:02:28 PM »
Thanks, I will look that one up.

I actually played a game. Just a small one. Finally tried a solo game of Dragon Rampant.

More on my blog... https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2020/02/ambushed-by-trolls-preface.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:26:28 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (played a game!)
« Reply #1480 on: February 03, 2020, 10:21:18 PM »
Love this 023. Read your blog write up as well. Your table is awesome! GP got me heading for a dragon rampant game but my hobby world came to a screeching halt awhile back. Have a little thread dedicated to the DR. I should be up and running again fairly soon.
This has got me revving again 😸

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52592.msg1030670#msg1030670
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Althammer: orcs, goblins, half-orcs, hobgoblins...)
« Reply #1481 on: February 24, 2020, 06:25:52 AM »
After recently receiving the Midlam Miniatures hobgoblins (and started to paint them already!) I decided to write a bit about how they fit into my Althammer setting...

https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2020/02/althammer-of-orcs-goblins-hobgoblins.html

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1482 on: February 24, 2020, 12:56:47 PM »
Hey 023 ... finally read your blog post on Dragon Rampant.  Seems like you weren't thrilled with the rules.  My suggestion is to play it on a 4x6 table with some a good number of pieces of scenery.  I haven't played Dragon Rampant yet, although I've played quite a bit of Lion Rampant and usually on 4x6 tables with scenery setups, and sometimes using some of the scenarios in the book.  This has allowed for more maneuvering, and the scenarios can sometimes present a challenging game as well.  Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant are similar, although each incarnation of Mersey's rules system is a bit different.  Pikemen's Lament lists can't really go with Lion Rampant, and then there are All The Kings Men, and Rebels & Patriots.  As an example, the last does away with the rule regarding once an activation roll is missed, a player's turn stops.  Not that R&P would be good for fantasy, but a person could switch up some of the rules to obtain a different flow to the game.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1483 on: February 24, 2020, 08:34:08 PM »
GP, I do think I'd like to give Dragon (or Lion) Rampant another try or three, but with a larger table and a live opponent. I haven't written the game off entirely, I just think it may have been the wrong game for what I was trying to do.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (half-orcs,/hobgoblins and wood elves)
« Reply #1484 on: March 01, 2020, 02:23:33 AM »
I painted the first of the Midlam Hobgoblins. Related to a recent blog post as well as my re-purposing of the old Citadel "Hobgoblin Despoilers", these have been adopted as hob-orcs.... er, half-orcs and painted as such.

I'm very happy with them -- both the sculpts as well as how they painted up! Looking forward to painting some more.

My February entry for the Old World Army Challenge is up! I painted 15 more archers, plus a few bonus figures since I finished earlier than expected. More photos & details at the OWAC link below...

https://oldworldarmychallenge.blogspot.com/2020/02/zerotwentythrees-february-wood-elves.html

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (half-orcs,/hobgoblins and wood elves)
« Reply #1485 on: March 01, 2020, 04:36:20 AM »
Nice looking archers! You know at first I thought they were human with very ogroid features, then I read the text  :happy:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (hobhounds)
« Reply #1486 on: March 08, 2020, 08:48:41 PM »
Thanks! And thats more or less the image I'm going for. Half-orc-ish.

Hobhounds. Midlam Miniatures. I wish there was a second hobhound design for variety, but very happy with the quality of the sculpts and castings.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1487 on: March 09, 2020, 01:28:04 PM »
Pleased to see that those hobhounds are nearly as ugly as the original Citadel ones!  :wink:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1488 on: March 09, 2020, 03:47:36 PM »
I actually prefer these to the originals...  ::heretic::

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1489 on: March 10, 2020, 01:05:13 PM »
Definitely a case where original isn't best, I agree.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1490 on: April 03, 2020, 02:18:57 AM »

My wardancers are up on the OWAC site. Grimmer. Darkerer. No frolicking tree huggers here.  :wink:

These are all with double handed weapons. I've got another regiment with dual weapons coming up in a few months.

http://oldworldarmychallenge.blogspot.com/2020/04/zerotwentythrees-march-wood-elves-242.html

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1491 on: April 03, 2020, 10:32:49 AM »
Really nice unit! I don't recall a 2 handed weapon unit but it’s been along time. Love the random mushrooms in amongst the forest
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (stuff)
« Reply #1492 on: April 12, 2020, 04:45:41 AM »
WIP

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1493 on: April 12, 2020, 12:33:21 PM »
Looks great, I might still have some of these in a box somewhere, I forget. I'm thinking that you are painting the Elf army I always wanted in the 1980s!  :eusa_clap:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1494 on: April 12, 2020, 01:25:28 PM »
Looks great
I’d like to get on my eagle and fly away right about now 😺
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1495 on: April 17, 2020, 04:07:43 AM »
Really nice unit! I don't recall a 2 handed weapon unit but it’s been along time. Love the random mushrooms in amongst the forest

Thanks. Wardancers had an option for 2 handed weapons. Found this online -- its from the high elf list, but is the same as the wood elf wardancers other than the wood elves having an upper limit of 40 (!) of them instead of 10.

I remember wardancers being the super-regiment 3rd....  :ph34r:

Interesting thought... I can use these with my sea elves as well... though they don't fit aesthetically. Now I'm going to need to paint a unit of wardancers in sea elf colors...  :icon_lol:

Looks great, I might still have some of these in a box somewhere, I forget. I'm thinking that you are painting the Elf army I always wanted in the 1980s!  :eusa_clap:

The source of most of this army is one of my good friends from my youth. I played against these elves (and more) back in 3rd. ed. I played either Skaven or dwarfs back in those days and the wood elves were the bane of both of my armies.

I inherited the figures and used them very briefly around 4th/5th ed. I think that's when I added the first Grenadier eagle (rider is lost, but I still have the bird). This eagle is a recent re-acquisition off eBay. The army used to be larger, I traded off the plastic Fantasy Regiments archers, and (presumably - not sure where they went) the cavalry and spear-elves which were old Ral Partha figures -- beautiful sculpts, but tiny compared to the Citadel.

The only thing I am missing is zoats. Or even just a single zoat. None of the local game stores was able to get him any zoats at the time (GWUS figure availability always seemed so patchy), so he sculpted some (humorously) crude zoats out of Play-Doh, armed with cocktail stick weapons. I should just sculpt a similarly crude zoat-blob in tribute to the originals I faced on the field of battle back then.  :icon_biggrin:

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #1496 on: April 17, 2020, 08:19:53 AM »
I expect you’ve seen GW are going to release a Zoat into Blackstone Fortress when the troubles are over, but it is over large so they can charge ridiculous money for it; have also heard a rumour that they may produce more for 40k – But I would suggest you honour your friend and sculpt a few yourself – use a proper putty though. 

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1497 on: April 17, 2020, 04:32:33 PM »
Zoats, Wood Elves and Halflings was my plan, I think

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1498 on: April 18, 2020, 06:53:41 PM »
He had some halflings too. Some tiny Ral Partha guys, and I think I donated my Grenadier halflings to the cause. Some of them ended back in my collection as well. I've still got plans them at some point ...

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1499 on: April 18, 2020, 07:13:42 PM »
Hey 023!
When this came out I couldn’t help thinking of your giant collection. Check out gankoms latest addition  on the AoS Rumours of whats new thread in the AoS section. I think you’ll like the new giants
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020