home

Author Topic: Terror? It holds no fear for me anymore  (Read 809 times)

Offline AlStorer

• Members
Terror? It holds no fear for me anymore
« on: February 08, 2004, 06:07:21 PM »
As a follow up to my bemoaning of my Knights lack of backbone, I'm happy to report a change in fortune this week, with a 2000 point battle where not one unit failed a terror or fear check. To say I was impressed is an understatement.

However, the one man in the army who couldn't be afected by such puny matters was, shall we say, less than overwhelming. Read on for more details:

Empire V Lizardmen, 2000 points

My army (briefly): WW GM, accompanied by 9 IC WW
Captain accompanied by 9 IC knights
Captain accompanied by 19 Spearmen
BSB accompanied by 19 Swordsmen
10 Crossbowmen
10 Handgunners
5 Pistoliers
2 Mortars
1 Great Cannon
Partridge in a Pear Tree*

Deployed: Classic refused flank- missile units and artillery on hills on my left, then to their right the infantary, Knights and finally Pistoliers.

His army:
Couple of big Saurus units, one with an Old Blood
3 kroxigors
1 Stegadon
3 Teradons
2 Salamanders
couple of skink units

He depolyed his fast stuf opposite my artillery, and the hard stuff opposite my knights (actully, that was a 2 way thing, but hey)

He got first turn, and advanced en-mass towards me. I wasn't excatly worried, what with my knights being able to out-charge everything but the teradons, away on the far flank. In response, I shuffled my knights into more advantageous positions (potioning the Blazing Suns out of LOS of the approaching Stegadon seemed a cunning move). The pistoliers went round the back of the farmhouse.

Turn two would prove to be a crucial point in the battle. Matt boldly moves his stegadon forward, postioning it facing the flank of the Blazing Suns with it's back turned to the WWs (whose ranks were thinned by the Salamanders). Apparently he hoped I'd fall for the old "charge a stubborn unit in the back" trap. Not a chance. Both units of knights took the opertunity to charge the Old Blood's unit. The WW piled in the front, and the BS into the flank- and aligned into the kroxigors...
In the ensuing combat, the GM managed to kill nothing. Thankfully the other knights were a bit more awake, and I managed to win the combat by some ridiculous margin, breaking and running down both units.

Turn three brought him advancing his remaining Saurus unit towards my infantary, and rpostioning his Stegadon. I turned my knights around, and brought the pistoliers into postion. I charged the swordsmen into the Saurus unit, hoping I could hold for a turn or so. I could, happily as it turns out.

Next turn sees a fusilade attack from pistoliers in the back of the saurus unit, causing them to break and be run down (the saurus unit, that is). Meanwhile my spearmen had run from the marauding stegadon, then continued fleeing (back towards my baord edge (ironically, past the monster that broke 'em)
Turn five sees the stegadon poncing around in the middle of the battlefield, and my GM charging it (the last of his unit having been magicked and then killed by salamander-less skink handlers- oh the shame). He, erm, failed to do the damn thing enough damage, and broke from combat! Luckily he out-ran the lumbering beast though.

Final turn, the other knights and the remainder of the swordsmen charge the Stegadon, killing it (the knights) and most of the skinks (the swordsmen). The skinks leg it, but not fast enough.

Oh: meanwhile, the Teradons and a skink unit had wiped out my atrillery, but met thier match fighting handgunners- the skinks lost a combat and ran off the table, the teradons lost and chose to do thier hit and run thing. The crossbowmen had done approximately nothing all battle.

Result- carnage, but I won fairly convincingly.

I was not impressed with my GM though. He was hgaving difficulty rolling higher than 1 for hit and wound roll. Annoying, considering he could hit almost everything on a 3 and kill most stuff on a 2. I flet I got off quite lightly having no magical protection whatsoever, though in hindsight a wizard would have been a better investment than the crossbowmen. A rather phyric victory.

*May be a lie