home

Author Topic: b0007452's Army of Bogenhafen  (Read 22844 times)

Offline b0007452

• Members
b0007452's Army of Bogenhafen
« on: October 11, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
b0007452

I've decided to start a log to track my progress with my army. I've recently come back to the hobby after a few years out during my teens. I'm now 20 and a university student which has it's downsides and benefits. One pro. is that I can now paint... better a con. is a distinct lack of time and money . Nevertheless I started painting again in January after I was bed bound with a dislocated knee and boreddddddd out of my mind, hense I decided to crack my models back out. Since then I feel rejuvinated and ready to get fully back into the hobby, mainly with my Empire army which I was starting as I left the hobby. I'm going to try and paint at least a couple of hours a week and I'm heading down to my local store to paint every Wednesday but unfortunately as I'm participating in The Fantasy Painting Group Log on Warseer and I don't want to post anything in here which I haven't yet posted in there.

This same log is also on Warseer so you might have seen it there.

Empire - Army Of Bogenhafen

For those that don't know, Bogenhafen was the subject of part of the Enemies Within Campaign - Shadows Over Bogenhafen (Which I have unfortunately never read, if anyone has a pdf. copy I would love to read it. )

Bogenhafen is a large, prosperous market town south of Altdorf in Reikland. It lies in the foothills of the Middle Mountains, skirting with the edge of the Reikwald Forest; It's namesake the River Bogen runs directly through the town. The town is famous for it's markets and is well renowned for it's wine producing. However idyllic it may sound though it's under constant threat from bandits in the woods and marauding greenskins and Robber Barons. Though theoretically under the control of Baron Von Saponatheim (Classic Games Workshop ), he lives 25 miles away at Castle Grauenberg; it is a council dominated by the wealthy merchant families who claim power.

That is the true backstory. Now I have my own ideas which will be unravelled as the army appears in here but for the most part I will adhere to this. My main deviation is that despite the literature saying how well provided for the Town Guard are I wanted to do something a little different; so I'm going to try and create an Empire Army based primarily on class division, with a lowly, underpaid town guard and units of pompus traders and merchants. I also plan on eventually including two Knightly Orders, firstly The Knights of the Vengeful Sun who according to White Dwarf are now based in the town and secondly an order of my own devising. The idea is that these two orders are in strict competition. I like the idea of the town seeming perfect and wealthy but really having a dark side with a large divide cursing their reputation.

Contents

Page 1 - Wizard Lord + Battle Wizard (Dellous Boyous + Rodney von Trot)
           - Great Cannon + Crew (Decapitator)
           - Swordsmen - Unit 1 (The Town Watch + Vicenzo the Fop)

Page 2 - Lapzig (Pleasent Surprise VI)
           - Free Company & Rex the Town Guard Mascot
           - Handgunners
           - Crossbowmen (ZeroTwentyThree's Surprise)
           - Blackburn Players (Pleasent Surprise VII)
           - Return to Hobby (2023) & Hunstmen

Page 3 - Swordsmen Unit Filler
           - Necromunda - Scatter Scenery, Hive Scum and Redemptionists (S.P.G.I)

Let The Games Begin!

Jimbo
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 10:53:47 PM by b0007452 »
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline b0007452

• Members
Re: b0007452's Army of Bogenhafen
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
My first update .

These are two models I recently painted for the Group Painting Log and the start of my rejuvinated Empire.

Meet Dellous Boyous + Rodney Von Trot

Front:

Back:

In the next few days I plan on fixing the faces slightly as I've recently been given a little advice on painting flesh by a commission painter at my local store. I feel the face of Rodney really lets the model down. As for the names I hope the inspiration is obvious? Not only do they share names with the Only Fools characters I like to think they share some personality traits with them too. Dellous is the chubby merchant on the left and in game is a naked Lvl 4 using Metal while Rodney is a Lvl 1 Shadow Wizard with a scroll.

Dellous Boyous

Dellous Boyous has always had an affinity for magic, as a child he learnt he could manipulate metal and could have endless days of fun sat in the street melting the coins of passers by who were left bemused and sometimes distraught at the curses brought upon them by the Gods.... or just young Dellous. As his skills developed he realised he may have a chance to achieve something if he attempted to enroll in the Colleges of Magic and thus he did. Despite a habit of misbehaviour Dellous excelled in his studies, even tormenting a young mage called Balthasar Gelt (Something he now deeply regrets); yet power was beginning to grip a young man who grew up with very little. As an Apprentice Dellous took his chance and travelled to Marienberg under the name "Otto Helmstern".

Otto's first night was horrific as he wandered lost through the dark, cold metropolis he was attacked from behind he attempted to melt the weapon in the hands of his attacker but alas he was not capable of altering the state of a stone hammer. Bloodied, cold and without money Otto committed his most horrific act, something he still regrets and has never forgiven himself for. After being approached by a blushing, busty young woman who inquired as to his health he proceeded to savagely beat her and after tightening her own necklace around her neck to the point where her heart stopped beating he stole her coin purse and rain never looking back. That night at the inn he didn't sleep a wink, her face never left his head. In the two years that followed he revelled in money and women, despite not being blessed with looks his seemingly endless supply of coins seemed enough for the local women to appreciate him. He felt untouchable. However his rise was not unnoticed and suspicions began to arise of his legitimacy as strange lights became visible in his workshops at night and foul aromas fumigated the streets outside his shops on frosty mornings. The burgomeisters wanted answers and called in Witch Hunter... (Name TBC) to interpret these strange occurences but alas it was already too late Otto had fled, never to be seen again.

Dellous reappeared in the rich trading town of Bogenhafen appearing at the gate as a well-established trader of fine metals. He immediately set up shop in a large two storey workshop a stone's throw from the market square and immediately began looking for an employee. The next morning in walked his first applicant; a pale, slender, robed figure who called himself Rodney Von trot...

Rodney Von Trot

Rodney Von Trot is a local man, uninterested in seeing the world he has stayed as close to Bogenhafen as possible his whole life but after his father said he could no longer stand his miserable and depressing lifestyle he was forced to find work outside the family business. The night before he had read a poster nailed to a stand in the market of a new precious metal and fine jewellery dealer looking for an apprentice. Perfect he thought. The next morning he slinked into the shop and spoke to the well dressed, portly trader who he noticed something strange about; his shop was already full of antiquities and valuable items and this man had only been there a day. He knew instantly magic was involved as he himself could feel the energy running rife like a cold draft. The wizard stood proud and negligent as a candle illuminated his ginger goatee, Dellous had no idea that Rodney himself was gifted with an ability to feel the winds of magic. Rodney could feel a rush of ambition and decided to challenge the man.

Rodney: Are you a wizard sir?
 Dellous: What! How dare you accuse me of such heresy!?
 Rodney: Well sir, how do you explain that charge in the air?
 Dellous: What are you talking about boy!? Get out!
 Rodney: Fine.. I hope you won't care when I inform the town guard about this then.
 Dellous: Wait!... What... What do you want?
 Rodney: That job... and your knowledge?
 Dellous: My knowledge?
 Rodney: I'm a wizard too sir.

And thus a great friendship brewed, with a master as succesful as Dellous, Rodney's skills grew and grew in stature and Boyous Goods Inc. grows at an equal rate but Dellous has heard a rumour that ... is soon to arrive in Bogenhafen looking for the one that got away.

Very cheesy, very long fluff; but that's what I enjoy. In the future I'll Italic fluff so those not interested can avoid. Those that have read it, thanks a bunch It makes writing it worthwhile. If you have anything to say about anything fluff or painting wise please do

Jim
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:21:40 AM »
The Witch Hunter should clearly be called von Boyce . . .
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Gustavus Magnus

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
As a resident of Boegenhafen (when I'm home), I'll be following this thread with interest. :eusa_clap:
Gustavus Magnus, of Bögenhafen; Mercenary Captain, Explorer, Spy, Scout, and Outrider.

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
Alright guys,

I know it's been a fair wait, university annoyingly took over for a month in the form of a research proposal :cry: so sorry about that.

Darknight - You know what I honestly couldn't agree more :::cheers::: In the distant future when I decide to make one I solemnly swear I will use this name :smile2:

Gustavus Magnus - Thanks man, updates will likely be few and far between but I hope you enjoy my stuff. I'd be interested to see your take on Bogenhafen as well  :-)

Some of this stuff is in the group fantasy project log but either way here is a small update in the form of a cannon crew. I've also started work on a unit of converted swordsmen and have bought a few other mini's for further down the line. The cannon itself isn't quite finished as I'm struggling a little with painting wood  If anyone has any advice I welcome it. Either way there is a WIP of it:

Cannon Crew - Front

Cannon Crew - Rear

Cannon Crew - Close Up

Cannon - WIP

For the next update I'll try not to keep you as long.

Jim

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:35:03 AM »
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I updated this but I've been busy with university work, having just started my dissertation and working 25 hours a week on top... But since I got some stuff for xmas I've caught the painting bug again :-D

I finally finished my cannon that was giving me trouble, and I've started painting my first unit of swordsmen. Unfortunately all my photos are taken in my room at 11PM, without a lightbox, on my i-phone, so they aren't of the highest quality; I'm hoping to get this sorted in the summer. Also it's pretty late at the minute so I'll edit this with some fluff for the cannon and its crew in a couple of days  I'm pretty lucky that the 7th ed. Army Book features an interesting paragraph specifically on a cannon of Bogenhafen.

'Decapitator' and its crew

Finished Great Cannon

Finished Crewman

The colours look a little rubbish and I was particularly proud of the 'grain' on the wood but they don't appear to have come out great either.

EDIT - Some fluff on 'Decapitator'.

'Decapitator is old. Known upon forging only as Cannon VII, it's an artillery piece long reveered and well-maintained to withstand the tests of time; and for good reason, as 'Decapitator' holds a place in the hearts of all citizens of Bogenhafen.

Darkness descended upon the Empire in 2034, the undead turned in their graves and some even stood fully out of them. Legions of the newly risen marched in ranks at the side of Vlad Von Carstein, vampire lord of Sylvannia. After years of pillaging and desolation he reached the Bridge of Bogenhafen, the entrance to one of the most beautiful cities of the Empire. Men stood lined on the wall in the bright purple and white of the city. The merchants stood alongside the common folk as all turned out to protect their town, and in amongst this mass of colour lay a simple cannon. manned by three men of three different families: Karl Von Konisberg, Uli Frankengeld and Jonas Welpt. All three men were famously young and handsome, the tales talk of them stood tall and proud aside their cannon as the rotting flesh crashed against the walls as a wave does upon rock. The town's need was dire and their kinsmen fell everywhere, only to reach back up from the floor and scratch at their comrade's arms. Baron Von Saponatheim himself was raising his sword to call the final charge when the impetuous crewman saw their chance. Just for a split second, that short moment Von Carstein was stood in exactly the right place at exactly the wrong time. The fuse fizzled, the cannon shuddered; a crack and then a puff of smoke. Silence. Every man, woman and wight froze and slowly turned as a headless figure graced the centre of the undead lines. Celebrations erupted amongst the townsmen as the sky cleared and the enemy routed. Yet before even the day's end grave news struck, the three heroes of the hour had been found, drained of their blood. It was clear that their ordeal was not over. However many citizens of Bogenhafen take pride in the rumor that all three were slain after an afternoon full of wine-fuelled copulation, one of the benefits of being known even just locally as a hero. It was this that coined the phrase 'Doing a Welpt' if a person dies after something very enjoyable.

After the Battle of Bogenhafen Bridge; Cannon VII took on the name of 'Decapitator'; to honour its performance on the battlefield. Moreover the crew of the gun is traditionally made up by a member of all three families that provided it's attendants on that fateful day. It's the duty of the families to maintain, clean and train with the cannon and with this responsibility come fame, they are regularly hounded around town to sign the breasts of young beauties or offered a free ale in The Dogs Bollocks. But as with any gift there is also a cost, and the crewmen of 'Decapitator' have an infamously short life expectancy. Few living beyond their first battle. It's for this reason that the Von Konisbergs, the Frankengelds and the Weplts are notoriously large families; it's said that current loader Ingo Weplt has 13 brothers, 8 of whom are already old enough to take his place should the need arise.

The three men who's duty it is to man 'Decapitator' during the reign of Karl Franz are Martin Von Konisberg, Felix Frankengeld and Ingo Welpt and it's thought that these are perhaps the best crew the cannon has had since the days of the Vampire Wars. They protect their treasure with all their might during battle, and for this reason only have they survived for so long; Felix recently celebrated his 27th birthday. The longest any crewmember of 'Decapitator' has lived for over two centuries.

Next up are the start of my unit of swordsmen, which is eventually going to be 30 strong however I only have 20 of them to start with and so they'll probably stay like that until I get the chance to buy more. The front 3 are almost entirely finished and the few behind are 90% there. I then have a few more just started and a command group to sort. I want them sorted this month as then I'll have the beginnings of a working army even at just a few hundred points, that was I'll be able to sort out my first game of 8th. Looking forward to it as well as my local GW is being refitted until the 17th and is likely to be getting brand new boards :icon_biggrin:

WIP - Converted Swordsmen (Front)

WIP - Converted Swordsmen (Rear)

Anyway hopefully I'll get some comments on this update, I'm more than happy to hear any advice.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:31:05 AM by b0007452 »

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
I love your swordsmen. They look so much more varied, more cobbled-together (in a good way) than the standard state troops.
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 12:42:19 PM »
A little progress on the swordsmen but not a great deal, working quite heavily until next weekend :-(

Also expecting a package from Raging Heroes which I'm very excited about.

Somegeezer: Cheers dude, I originally made them about 5 years back before a break from the hobby. I have never been overly keen on our state troops posture and I love the men at arms shields so it gave me the opportunity to use them. I stupidly though attached all the shields to the bodies before painting so bits of it have been a real nightmare. These are going to be in stark contrast to me next sworsdmen unit made up of merchants and mercenaries who will look very flambuoyant.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Jim.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
Nice cannon!

The swordsmen look good as a city militia.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:14 PM »
Swordsmen look great. Those brets work nicely as militia. Love to see more bogenhafen armies.

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 02:49:32 AM »
Rufus Sparkfire - Cheers dude. That's pretty much exactly the look I was going for so I'm glad you said that :icon_biggrin:

Tiny - Thanks mate. I've looked through your thread dozens of times and all the little bits of advice of painting techniques and mixes of colours are a great help to me. I've got some huntsmen ready to paint and a big reason for it is just because I saw how amazing yours looked :eusa_clap: If you have any advice or things you notice about my work please do tell. I was also interested if we'll see an update to your army anytime soon?

As for my force I've just updated some fluff for my cannon further up, as there is a mention of it in the Vampire Counts book and I like a fluffy army so it made sense to give it a bit of focus. Plus the Swordsmen are coming along with 8 entirely finished and 10 75% done. Should be done by the end of the month and will hopefully have some good quality photos :icon_biggrin:

Also, just to complete an update on all my hobbying I finally managed to get down to my local GW on one of my day off's this week. It's been crap weatherr and so the shop was dead and the manager offered to show me how to play 8th as I haven't played an actual game in about 5 years. He used the HE from Island of Blood minus the Griffon and I used my Swordsmen, Cannon, a Wizard and 10 handgunners. I WON!

My cannon took out his mage and two Swordmasters Turn 2. My handgunners took out another one. Then between a stand and shoot, the swordmasters failing the charge due to miasma and then ending up in short range for another volley I destroyed the whole unit for very minor losses. My cannon grape shotted the reavers who lost all but the champion, who still managed to kill them all over 3 rounds of combat. But after charging my handgunners he was also peppered with lead. During all this my Swordsmen withered the storm and trudged across the battlefield to the Sea Guard. When I finally get there I manage to get off Mindrazor due to the magical advantage and absolutely cut through his elves like a knife through butter. They run and are swiftly chased down by the Bogenhafen Militia.

In conclusion I really enjoyed my first game back, and also the 8th ed. rules.... however obviously it was just one tiny game. Nevertheless it was nice to use painted models for once and it's definitely got me hooked again. To make sure I don't forget my first victory in 8th I'm going to have to model some kind of HE tropy (I've seen this done before and I think it's a nice trick). I'll probably add something small and high elf to the artillery base when I get around to it, after all it was 'Decapitator' (Sticking true to its name :icon_mrgreen:) that killed the HE mage and meant that I easily got off Mindrazor when it mattered so it makes sense to me. I also was suitably impressed with the handgunners, who were very lucky on my rolls to-hit and my opponents inability to make a crucial charge, but considering how little many people think of them I still enjoyed having them. At short range they are lethal and the -2 to armour saves is devastating to weak troops like elves, all I really had to do was hit and even elite units like swordmasters were dying in droves.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:15:53 AM by b0007452 »

Offline Bishmeister

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 07:16:46 AM »
I like the colour details on the war machines, it helps to tie them with the army really well.
Follow me on Twitter @Bishmeister1

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 11:24:34 PM »
Alright guys, this is the first of a couple of updates in the next month or so concerning my first Swordsmen Unit. But more importantly...

Bishmeister: Cheers for the positive feedback; and yeh I agree, I found the inspiration in a couple of other PLogs on this forum and much prefer it to the plain wood look many people have going on. Each to his own I suppose though.

Anyway this is Swordsmen Unit 1 of what is eventually going to become two units of 30. In games they are to act as my anvils and soak up damage from the main combat units of my opposition. I understand at only 30 strong they probably won't be of much use after a long, protracted combat with a tough enemy but with two units and plenty else around I don't see this as an issue.

Swordsmen Unit 1 is designed to represent a Town Watch, hense the choice of shield and so these are the regular men who man the walls and patrol the cobbled streets of Bogenhafen. Yes, I understand Bogenhafen is wealthy and so far my unit is looking fairly downtrodden but all is explained in their fluff. Also this first post contains pictures of the completed 14 including a Musician; soon I will look to update with 6 more member of the unit, icnluding a themed Champion and Standard Bearer. That will bring the total to 20 and mean I have another 10 members of my Town Watch to build and paint. I want them to have the same uniform look, just a few more with Empire heads; what's really killing me is the difficult to create the 10 models without buying a State Troop box and a Brettonian Men at Arms box, eBay it is.

Swordsmen Unit 1 - Bogenhafen Town Watch

All 14 painted so far.

Front view of 3 Swordsmen.

Angled view of 3 Swordsmen.

Bogenhafen Town Watch - Fluff

The Bogenhafen Town Watch are often victims of their own name. Bogenhafen is a town often and rightly associated with wealth, yet its primary defenders and the face of its military might are no wealthier than the people they protect. It’s the duty of the town council rather than Baron Von Saponatheim to provide wages to the men that stand tall at the gates of their precious town, the weary soldiers that look gloomily into the dark forest below from the omni-grey battlements in bleak mid-winter. The pompous merchant families that own the council are as egotistical with the town’s money as they are with their own. They refuse to pay directly to each individual man and instead pay to the head of the Watch himself, it’s considered the Sergeant’s duty to divide the coinage as he sees fit.

Vicenzo the Fop was born in Estalia several years prior to 2500, and first made his way to Bogenhafen via the Reik soon after 2518. Vicenzo Fopini as he was known at the time quickly adapted to life in the Empire. The Estalian offered shows of his swordsmanship in the market square and his skill with a blade regularly drew great crowds, men looked on jealously while women fell weak at the knees to his long blonde locks and charismatic charm. Vicenzo told emblazoned tales of his military campaigns on tropic seas in the bazaar during the day and in the taverns at night. Fopini’s sortie of the town was not going unnoticed and with a young maiden on either arm he was dragged from his bed before dawn one early morning in 2519. He arrived bewildered and hungover at the doorstep of the Council Meeting Chambers. Wearing nothing more than his sweat-stained nightwear Vicenzo was stood in a meeting with the wisest, richest and most arrogant men in all of Bogenhafen, possibly Reikland.

The proposition was simple, Vicenzo would take on role of Sergeant of the Town Watch and ensure that the produce, reputation and maybe even (If at all possible) population of Bogenhafen remained safe from the numerous threats that surround it. On the fringe of the Reikwald it’s regularly subjected to raids by pirates, brigands, beastmen, goblins and worse. Bretonnian robber barons make large for the town across the Grey Mountains, looking to exploit its bloated coffers and large ogres sometimes come from their icy domain in the peaks to feast on human flesh. Worse still is the rumour that something darker, more ancient and bloodthirsty evil lurks in the darkness around the town. Screams are often heard at night, and farmers are often found drained of blood; yet the town lives on in naivety, sleeping cosily behind stone walls. In short, this was no easy task.

But this man is Vicenzo Fopini, a veteran of military campaigns dating back 20 years, scarred from years of fighting all over the known world. A man of this reputation does not turn down an opportunity like this, besides he is Vicenzo Fopini how could he fail. In fairness to the Estalian things started positively, his confidence and tactical abilities kept the town safe; in 2520 he lead the final charge that routed the Spider Army of Snit Cracklebang and just one year later he quelled the Great Market Riot of 2521 single-handedly and personally executed the instigators himself. Fopini is not a man to sit and do nothing; he would never allow himself to lose face in public.

But in the last year things have taken a turn for the worse; the economy of Bogenhafen has tightened after a poor year in the fields and vineyards. When the Emperor himself spits out what’s supposed to be the finest bottle of this year’s wine after mistaking it for vinegar, it’s expected not to sell well. The crushing blow to the income of the council, many of whom are winemakers themselves meant a dwindling budget for Vicenzo and his men; it had been hard enough before. Having to sell the majority of their fine equipment the guardsmen were told they could retain only their swords and famous shields, the time of the gleaming Bogenhafen cuirass was no more. Unwilling to put a dent into his own wage, the cuts to the salary of the common men has crushed some families and drove them to poverty. Some members of the guard even had to take the dishonour of selling their swords, just to put bread on the table. Meanwhile Vicenzo adds even grander feather to his giant hat and, polishes his gilded armour. The Sergeant himself would never even consider selling Spidertamer, his curved sword; named after his famous victory.
Now though the men do not talk great tales of their captain, but make gestures behind his back and meet in dark rooms to discuss ways to depose him. Vicenzo the Fop is the new joke among the troops, calling him conceited and an outsider to boot. However it seems Vicenzo is here to stay, as he now considers himself a naturalized citizen and is almost halfway through the young virgins of the town. Moreover none of the watch would dare insult him to his face as despite his loss of respect he has forfeited none of his prowess with the sword.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:20:14 AM by b0007452 »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 12:17:43 AM »
Do more checkerboard shields! They look amazing!

Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Thirsty Beaver

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »
Really enjoyed these! Awesome work.

Like everybody else, these swordsmen blew my mind! Bravo!
them are some stupid and ugly ass pieces. Griffons without wings? Sure as hell ain't touching my army.

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 01:28:17 AM »
Rufus Sparkfire - Thanks for the positive comments. I'm also happy with how they turned out and after a few remarks similar to yours I'm kinda annoyed I didn't knuckle down and do them all that pattern. Maybe a long term project. Either way, when I've got all my current units done I'll bolster this unit and all will have the checkerboard shields.

Thirsty Beaver - Again cheers dude. Thanks for commenting and I'll try and add some more of equal or better standard soon. Hope you have a good trip around Europe bro, maybe when you get back you can start your own PLog.

Unfortunately this isn't a picture update (Something I'm quite annoyed about myself) and it has been about a month since I posted anything on here at all. I've had numerous univeristy deadlines, the last 3 of which were Friday and I now feel I've had a giant weight lifted from my shoulders. I now don't have a deadline until April and then my dissertation due May 1st, thus I now have a couple of weeks to do a little painting each night to keep me occupied. I'm hoping for a couple of picture updates in this time as I have lots to work on.

Also I'm going to attempt to reply to people who comment a lot faster, I have been present on here and just haven't bothered enough. I can only apologise for that.

Thanks, Jimmy

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 07:02:09 AM »
Nice combo of fluff and a really effective colour scheme. Hope to see more.
Cthulhu for president, why Settle for the Lesser Evil?
Nordland Blog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=43994.0

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
Your fluff is hugely enjoyable and this army is looking great. I'm looking forward to more!

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 12:23:35 AM »
Zjivago - Thanks bro. Hopefully consistent updates from now on. I aim to please.

Errantgamer - Thanks dude. Fluff is a big part of the hobby for me, it's a great escape to think out an alternate universe and write about it so it's nice to know others appreciate it.

Right, my first picture update in a while but hopefully the speed will now pick up. Also worth bearing in mind these were taken on an iPhone once again.

Meet Vicenzo:

This is Vicenzo the Fop. The head of Bogenhafen's Town Watch and champion of that Swordsmen Unit. However seeing as I have only played 8th once so far and me and my mates are starting off at a fairly low points level this summer, he will likely count as a Captain/General for Hold the Line.

I'm pretty happy with how he turned out; I didn't get it in the pictures but the large scroll is painted as a Wanted poster and looks pretty cool. Obviously quite a simple conversion as well, old Greatsword Champ body with General head. Only negative is that I dropped him literally just after taking these photos and the head came off; I have no super glue so he's going to have to wait for it to be reapplied. Also finished another 5 Swordsmen for his unit but I'm not sure they're as good as the rest so will eventually be replaced I expect.

I'm now waiting on better weather to undercoat 12 Handgunners and probably a couple of other metal minis. Gonna replace the drummer I just finished for the Swordsmen Unit with the dog from the Raging Heroes Ltd. Ed. box set as a new musician and give him a little fluff, then I just have to kitbash a standard bearer. After all that Huntsmen are probably up, I'll likely have a look at a few great examples of here that I've seen for inspiration.

Cheers for the interest and hope to bring you more soon. Jimmy.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 12:25:08 AM »
How are those Raging Heroes tarts? I was thinking of getting a set myself.

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 12:30:01 AM »
Darknight -They look awesome for starters. They stand quite tall, a couple of mm taller than your average soldier and will be hard to rank up (One has a huge leg span, another a huge windblown coat). But they look great, are really detailed and have numerous weapon option which means you're left with loads of extra bit to convert. Plus the dog is like my favourite mini ever.

I'll try and get an image of them uploaded in the next couple of weeks. That way you can make your own mind up.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »
Well, I'd love to see an image of them and I've love to see what you do with them . . . but I was weak today and bought them for my own purposes! :) I also got Brunhilde on Warhorse too, as that was a sweet model! It's over a month before these are available, but I just couldn't resist!

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 10:47:07 PM »
Raging Heroes? I'm all ears ( and eyes). Better sooner than later.

Nice work btw.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 12:12:21 AM »
I like the two guys in the first post, the city militia with sword & shields, and the blue feathers look good with the purple and white scheme.

The headswap on the metal greatsword is a great choice!  Maybe I'll ditch my greatsword's head for the same one. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline TheHoundmaster

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 12:36:40 AM »
I really like the colors you've chosen. The purple has a very deep color to it, almost red but not quite. Very much like the wine that Bogenhafen is famous for!
"What I like best about a siege is that there is nowhere for them to run..."
+++ Witch-hunter Zacharia Schmundt +++