home

Author Topic: Footregiment tactics  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Mountainshield

Footregiment tactics
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
So I have been reading alot about the need for synergy in empire armies. And I'm looking for a quite the comprehensive answer.
I have only had one battle so far and I got crushed utterly, I just threw the regiments hastily together.

What tactic is best swordsmen, or what edge do they give?
What tactic is best for spearmen, or what edge do they give?

I have used halberds and I guess they are self explanatory with +1strenght to their attacks.

I have just gotten 80 new state troops (it was on sale 50% off   :-P ) And I'm just wondering what how I should use them for 2500p games, and I really don't understand how to fully use the synergy of the empire army. Is it best to go 2x50 or 3x30 or any other combination?

What is in your opinion the best combination and deployment of massive footregiment units and what special characters do you use? I got 2 captains, 2 warriors priests, 1 wizard and 1 witch hunter.

I'm also wondering what is the best placement for the special characters when they are in the regiment as to not die easy but also do damage?

Thanks

Offline SevenSins

Re: Footregiment tactics
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »
I'm hardly the most competent empire general in these forums, so my general (he!) advice would be to test out different builds, just model them up whitout arms for now, and test different units and sizes (if your playing group are ok with some proxying of course)

The main advice I see on these forums, are halberds, preferably unit size 40+

I've had some success with swordsmen detachments 10-15 as they're decently survivable. I also play spears, as I like things wysiwyg, they don't perform miracles truth be told but put out a decent number of attacks in bus formation.

Offline thundercake

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:00:32 PM »
To me, swordsmen seem to be more of a speed bump or holding unit (parry and better armour save). They fix an enemy unit in place while you get something in position to charge from the side/back.

This idea would see swordsmen in units of 20 or so as detachments or independent units I guess.
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline riverhawks32

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:42:26 AM »
I enjoy my 40 man sword bus with griffon banner, +8 static combat res
~5500 points mercenary company based in Middenland~

Offline Arfa

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »

Well sure, but how do they actually deal damage? Do you have them as a bunker and flank with something else? For me the swordsmen are still just WS4 goblins, they die in the mud like everything else.

Arfa

Offline Crucious

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 08:35:01 AM »

Well sure, but how do they actually deal damage? Do you have them as a bunker and flank with something else? For me the swordsmen are still just WS4 goblins, they die in the mud like everything else.

Arfa
They dont deal damage. The idea would be to flank charge with something that takes away their rank bonus and then win combat res with the +9.
In an ideal situation you would have archers and halbardier detachments, so you'd get to shoot abit at them and then countercharge in to the flanks. But it's very tricky to get anyone to charge a very obvious trap like that :-).

Offline jaggedjimmyj

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:24:10 AM »
How do you keep the ban alive when he's carrying a magic banner?  Do you have other heroes and full command and push him to the second rank?
Seems like most ppl would just chop up the wanker carrying the banner.
Archaon, The Everchosen, is one of two openly homosexual special characters in the world of warhammer. The other, of course, is Queek Headtaker.

Offline riverhawks32

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
I usually push him to the back rank or deny challenges with him, you may not get the reroll but the combat res stays. Basically it's a matter of forcing someone to flee and then either capturing them or walking them off the board with cav
~5500 points mercenary company based in Middenland~