home

Author Topic: TEG4: Battle Thread Empire Cavalry versus Ogres 2500  (Read 13685 times)

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Never leave the Province without it...
Re: TEG4: Battle Thread Empire Cavalry versus Ogres 2500
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
Well done everyone! Another great TDG and yes I am ready with my High Elves...a list has been made together with Rothgar and will open a can of whoopass on the Empire.

Bring it on Codpieces

Awesome, lets wait a week or so before we start cranking this up in earnest.

Once you are Rothgar have finalized your list could you PM it to me?

I plan to start TEG5 with an Empire team thread looking for people to posts lists they have been itching to try out.

--------------------------------------------

@Sammay-  I started playing around with list possibilities using your idea of Empire Cavlary MSU.  I tried one out and easily beat my opponent.  One thing I did differently was use all 5 man Knight units with a Musician and Champ.  The Champ gives you the same amount of attacks as your 6 Knight block but is cheaper.  It also helps in challenging nasty characters and reducing your death count.

Also-  since one of my main opponents is currently in love with Regeneration, I added the Flaming Banner on one group of Demis to give me flexibility in hitting those types of units.  I also added a Lvl2 Fire Wizard to give me some ranged Flaming and some extra magic options.  You had several turns where you couldn't use Powerdice because you only had 1 mage.

You are obviously perfecting the use of the Cav MSU and are highly skilled in it.  One piece of advice I have for you to avoid bunching up is purposely put a little distance in your waves.  We naturally become fixated on units when we are looking at a battlefield but the space in between units is just as important, especially for your army.  One example I can give is the Knights and Demi you pushed up in the center of the board.  The Demis were up tight on the Knights butts-  if the Ogres had charged the Knights you were situated perfectly, but the Ogres saw they could bunch you and got in your face.  If the Demis were back just a little bit so they had space to wheel in both directions the Ogres may not have gone this route.

I appreciate the time you spent on the All Cav Tactica.  It has made the Tactica Forum better!

@George-  I know you were a pitch-hitter for the Ogre team's list, but you played them like a veteran.  I appreciate the time you spent on the TEG. 

To close, watching you and Sammay go toe-to-toe was a sight to behold.  Great battle to watch!  Thanks again.

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline sammay23

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2013, 04:11:01 PM »
HHG, so glad you've started trying out the list!

I agree about the champ adding some flexibility and keeping punch for a few less points. I'm aesthetically in love with those 3x2 knight darts :)

I keep thinking about adding a flaming banner. I used to have it on one of my DG units, but then decided that I wanted as many bare-bones units as possible. I'm reconsidering for a tourney I have next week. No shortage of regeneration there.

And I've added a 4th Captasus :) so no room for a fire mage  ::heretic::

Ah, movement. Yes, usually I try to play in waves, with Captasi and small knights moving out first, clearing chaff, and then turning to assist turn 3-4 charges from the DGs. In the game against George, I really got myself tangled in my rush to get all three DG units close enough to engage in multi-charges (which never happened). It was really the Mournfangs that pushed me to get all jumbled. I knew that I needed two units of DGs if I was going to beat them in a frontal charge. With only one small unit of knights to redirect, I rushed a bit.

Movement is DEFINITELY my biggest hurdle to using this list effectively. Sometimes I really nail it, and things work like a well-oiled machine. And then sometimes I epically fail ;) 
Bring out the mop and broom sammay.  I want to see you clean this house.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2013, 05:21:31 PM »
About units of 5 & champ vs. 6,
a great difference is to be able to place one occasional character among the 6 and get protection against shooting & spells, instead of having the champ spoiling the "look out, Sir".

Plus 6 are sturdier than 5 anywhere but in melee.

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2013, 10:01:29 PM »
I am going on a vacation the next two weeks but plan to crank up the next TEG when I get back.

Start thinking about whether you want to take Sammay's list for another run or try out something different.

Still waiting to see Fandir & Rothgar's new High Elf proposal...

HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline Noght

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2013, 01:07:56 AM »
I am going on a vacation the next two weeks but plan to crank up the next TEG when I get back.

Start thinking about whether you want to take Sammay's list for another run or try out something different.

Still waiting to see Fandir & Rothgar's new High Elf proposal...

HHG

Take a balanced list, say a tweaked Griffon.  Heck a modified Gunline would punish the High Elves, it's still the safest strategy.

Or take an all-comers list and see what happens....
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2013, 02:08:53 AM »
Take a balanced list, say a tweaked Griffon.  Heck a modified Gunline would punish the High Elves, it's still the safest strategy.

My current Griffon list now has 2 cannons...   8-)

But I was going to save it for a possible future showdown with Rothgar and Chaos....

Offline rothgar13

• Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
I've sent a message to Fandir asking if he wants to make any tweaks to the list we previously wrote up. We should have a list for the Empire to square off against soon. :::cheers:::

Also, in the interest of variety, I propose we delay our Griffon v. WoC showdown in an effort to showcase a more rarely seen army - my Beastmen would love to have a go at it, and I'd bet that not that many people get to see that sort of army. What do you say, HHG? :icon_wink:

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
I've sent a message to Fandir asking if he wants to make any tweaks to the list we previously wrote up. We should have a list for the Empire to square off against soon.

Fandir PM'd me that list you have been tweaking.

Early next week I will create 2 threads-  one for Empire to figure out what they want to do for a list and another High Elf one so you can post your list and gain some team members.

That way, when I get back from my vacation, we can be ready to start the TEG on the Aug 17th weekend.

Also, in the interest of variety, I propose we delay our Griffon v. WoC showdown in an effort to showcase a more rarely seen army - my Beastmen would love to have a go at it, and I'd bet that not that many people get to see that sort of army. What do you say, HHG? :icon_wink:

No rush on showdown.

Yeah-  I would love to see you put your Beastmen into action for TEG6.

HHG

Offline Rowly

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »
I'd like to second a vote for Beastmen :)

« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2013, 12:36:02 PM »
Okay Forum-  two Tactical Threads have been started for TEG5.

One thread is for members who want to join the Empire team, the other for High Elf traitors!

Join one or the other and get involved!
HHG