home

Author Topic: Multistate Army - (Help Needed to Identify 1985 Goblins)  (Read 41437 times)

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
Multistate Army - (Help Needed to Identify 1985 Goblins)
« on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:32 PM »
This is my first post and I thought I would start by sharing my Empire Army. I have recently decided to strip and re-paint the entire army and will post photos of each section when it's complete.

I've had my Empire Army since around 1993(ish) so they'll be a mix of old miniatures and new ones. I should also add I'm in no way a really talented painter but I hope at least my models are of an average table top standard. Well they look good to me when I'm playing :D

I'll start with my

Steam Tank 'Venerable'

I originally had this painted in the Blue and Gold colour scheme which I found a bit garish so I attempted to change it. Also whilst the old Steam Tank has a certain charm I find it to be a little boring in comparison to the new ones so I thought I would try and spruce it up, not sure if it worked that well but it looks a lot better than it did a few years back.

So this is an old 5th Edition Steam Tank with a few additions. I added four of the new Steam Tank shields, a selection of items from the Kinghtly order set, Space Marine Commander set and some items from an old Tamiya World War 2 set. I think that Steam Tanks always look a little crowded on chariot bases so I mounted it on the Screaming Bell size 100mmx60mm base. On the base is skeleton model and some stone bricks made from styrofoam, undercoated in black and dry brushed grey.

PICTURES

Next up will be 10 Archers from Stirland which I have almost completed so I will post some pictures tomorrow  :-D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:12:10 PM by harv »
My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"

Offline anvalous

• Members
Re: Empire Army - Painting Blog
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
Well done, Harv!  The base is very nicely done and really helps out the quality steam tank.  I like little touches like wheel ruts...  Looking forward to the archers!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »
Looking good! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
looks really good mate!
Do you have a province theme for your army?
So I know where to list you in the blog list sticky thread :)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
you have done an amazing job on the old/old steam-tank. steveb

Offline harv

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies, this site has given a lot of inspiration  :-D

As for the army theme I've got the Emperor leading my Army so I decided to go with a patchwork quilt army made up of a mixture of provinces rather than settle on just one province. I always liked the mismatched look of an Empire Army when it comes together.  :laugh:

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 02:35:26 PM »
multistate it is then :)

hope to see more soon ;)

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Re: Multistate Army - Painting Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 09:08:57 AM »
i love the way the stank has ploughed the grass up.

Also the colour scheme is great.

Post more

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:21 AM »
The steam tank looks fantastic!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline harv

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies, gives me motivation to finish the rest. I have a very bad habit of getting minis to 90% done and moving on to the next project.  :oops:

Stirland Archers

Next are some Archers from Stirland. These are from the milita box set. I was working on a budget so couldn't afford the nicer looking archer box-set so thought if I got the milita box set I could make up 10 archers and 10 crossbowmen quite cheaply. So to try and make them look a bit more interesting I added a few extras from the Bretonnian  archer box set, such as a few quivers, game hanging from the belts (a rabbit, bird in a bag and large bird) and a couple of arrows in the ground. There are also a few heads in there from an old Crossbowmen Regiment box-set. Lastly I added some bow string.

I was originally attempting to re-create the Deathjacks from the Heraldry book but they've ended up looking like regualr stirland archers. I didn't really have the bits to re-create the Deathjacks with their horns and banner. I would love to get my hands on the new Archer box set as the minis look great so maybe that's a project for the future.

PICTURES

Today I hope to finish some Crossbowmen and when I do I'll post the results  :::cheers:::

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 11:37:31 AM »
They look good! But what happend to your lighting? seems all blue'isch now

Offline harv

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:41:52 AM »
Was done in my backgarden, slightly overcast today  :-D

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Nice like it idea for back  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »
Care to explain how did you do the string work on the bows please?
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline harv

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 11:58:44 AM »
Care to explain how did you do the string work on the bows please?

It is simple black thread from my thread box. I made sure of the right length lining it up from end of bow to the other end then cutting it.  Then I used a tiny amount of super glue at each end and attached with tweezers. I then trimmed any bits hanging off with my blade  :icon_biggrin:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
The thread method seems simple enough, maybe I'll try it. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Alexious

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »
Exceptional work and love the idea of the archers. Well done with the thread, really adds to the appeal. Keep up the great work man.

Offline harv

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
Thanks for the comments so far, will attempt to keep this thread updated as soon as stuff is finished  :smile2:

Hochland Crossbowmen

These are 10 crossbowmen made from the Militia box set and I haven't really added much to them. I used a couple of metal cranks and daggers from an old Crossbowmen box set and one model has one of the old metal arms holding the crossbow skywards. Apart from that they are the basic Milita set.

I tried to base these ones slightly differently, normally I would try and keep the entire army based the same way but I wanted to try using cat litter to see what it came out like  :icon_razz:

PICTURES

(Sorry for the blue tint on the pictures again, it was fine until my cat shoved it's face in the way then it became overcast again  :icon_lol: )

Next up I plan to finish 20 old Halberdiers from Altdorf with command. Not sure when that will be though, probably within next 2-3 days.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »
nice work !
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 08:57:48 PM »
With the cat in the pic, the light is perfect!

Great to see some Hochland creeping in there. Great painting. Gonna be one good looking army.

By the by, your cat looks bit like one of ours:

Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 09:07:46 PM »

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Ahem. Looks good! :-) And I agree with Siberius, the lighting avec cat is much better than sans cat.

Indeed, and he has a Hochland army, too... You don't happen to have a split personality?

Offline harv

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »
With the cat in the pic, the light is perfect!

Great to see some Hochland creeping in there. Great painting. Gonna be one good looking army.

haha yeah my cat manages to force it's way in to most things. It also looked almost identical to yours when she was a kitten  :-D

Almost finished my Altdorf Halberdiers but having some trouble with the shields (the old plain shields). I was planning on blue shields but that would mean painting yellow heraldry on them and I can't do free hand. (I've taken a photo of a Blue Shield with the transfer and it looks a bit too dark) I could have yellow or red sheilds as I have the old Altdorf transfers but they don't look as good as blue shields. So not sure really what to do as I can't think of another way of getting good looking shields unless I bought the shield pack from GW  :|

Offline harv

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »
As I was sorting through some of my Blood Bowl stuff to make room I came across a spare Mighty Zug mini from 94. He's not too Blood Bowl'ish compared to the newer Zug mini so thought I could use him in my army.

I'm not sure what the best way to go about converting him into an interesting Captain/hero would be so if you have suggestions or have done something similar I would love some ideas. I guess the easiest way is to put a great weapon of some sort in his left hand  :-D

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »
im thinking leader of your freecompany ..awesome mini  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline harv

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 02:25:03 PM »
im thinking leader of your freecompany ..awesome mini  :::cheers:::

Going to have him lead my Stirland Militia  :-D

Altdorf Halberdiers

These are a unit of 20 Halberdiers from around 1996 of which I have about 8 boxes of. The metal command are from around 1992/3 when I got them.

I stripped and re-painted the entire unit and haven't done much else to them other than remove the slot and repositioned them on closed bases as well as adding random extras to the shields and changing the heads of a couple of the Halberds. I also had spare sheets of the original Altdorf transfers which I've also used on the front of the shields. The banner is a scan from the Heraldry book, printed in colour and painted over.  I don't think there is any easy way of making these static pose Halberdiers look interesting unless I changed the heads and arms. I am planning another Halberdier unit with different metal command so will try and convert a few next time.

PICTURES

COMMAND

FRONT ROW

SECOND ROW

THIRD ROW

FOURTH ROW

Next up will be one of the new Great Cannons and an old old Mortar. Then after that will be a unit of 20 Swordsmen. Will post when they are done  :wink: