home

Author Topic: 1500 pts. battle Empire vs. Beastmen  (Read 4641 times)

Offline codax

• Members
1500 pts. battle Empire vs. Beastmen
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:31:12 PM »
Made this little novel from my battle report :) Hope you all enjoy!

The Army list were as follows:

Beastmen:

Great brayshamen + hagtree+ pelt(?) + additional HW + lvl 4
Wargor + bsb + GW + HA + beastbanner
2x20 Gors + command og xtra HW
Tuskgor chariot
18 beastigors + command + many limbed
4x minotaurs + xtra HW

Empire:
Lector + Armour of meteoric iron + Van horstmanns + GW
Captain + bsb + full plate + ES + dragonhelm
warrior priest + HA + GW

49 Halberdiers + command
40 Halberdiers + command

20 Greatswords + command
5 outriders

Steam tank

The game only lasted 4 turns as the beastmen player chose to surrender at the start of his turn four. The scenario was battleline. I didn't take pictures because of our lack of painted miniatures and well made terrrain but it is possible to follow the actions in the battle from the pictures i made in battle chronicher (i suck at that program if you're wondering about the pictures). The Battlefield was made of a forest, a small building (to the left), a grail chapel in the middle, and finally an ordinary hill. I've picked the side and he got the first turn. He deployed first and i second.

Deployment was as follows (left to right):

Beastmen: Beastigors with bsb, Gors with Great bray shaman, tuskgor chariot, minotaurs  and a unit gors in ambush (i think he thought i was going arty heavy as i tend to do)

Empire: Halbardiers with warrior priest, Greatswords, Steam Tank, Halbardiers with Bsb and Lector, outriders.

Ye Altdorf Press
”Another glorious victory won at the borders of Nattern Forest! Arch Lector Hannibal led his mighty crusader army to victory against the the faul beastmen hordes yet another time. Had sigmar truly smiled upon this mighty hero of the empire and true servent of the warrior god. We might not find answer for this question yet but facts is that if a dozen more of Hannibal Lector existed no dark forces would threaten the empire.”

Hannibal eyes gazed at the battlefield ahead of him. The dark masses in the distance gave him the chills down his back. Alas, when it all came down he was just a human but nonetheless; a human with strong faith and a special connection to Sigmar. What would this battle bring? He knew he was a great general, this could not be doubted, but this was indeed a large force he encountered. “Four battles now,” He barely whispered to himself. That was the numbers of victories his hardened crusaders had won recently. He rejoiced. The eyes of the men were steady and chin held high by the recent success’ and Hannibal nodded. Courage filled his heart. This day they would prevail.

It had been a week since gunnery captain Dietmann left for his mission in Nuln. He had taken the artillery and even the valiant men of 1. Nuln veteran swordsmen regiment and finest of warriors. The captain only left the steam tank “The Smiter” to the lector and his weakened army. Hannibal was worried. He was not the ordinary clergyman who bursted towards the enemy like an insane flagellant, digging his grave with every step. On the other hand he was never called a coward, always fighting in the first rank with his men and never refusing a challenge. He was a tactician and knew that modern armies relied on artillery tactics to support the infantry. But the artillery was gone to Nuln for reserves and parts for the war machines, so nothing was going to help his poor troops but the cold steel of the halbards.

His troops stood steady while the enemy took the initiative. The strategy was perfect. Hannibal would lead the main force from his horde of halberdiers with the help of captain Von Hildebrand. At his left flank the noise from “Smiter” was heard. Christian Van Grösse was empovering the lumpering behemoth to shoot a cannonball at the enemy. On the other side a section on outriders was taken aim ready to bring havoc to the enemy lines. The pride of the battleline was the contingent of Zweihänders. These was a gift from the count of Middenland and wore the typical heraldy of Middenheim. Fine soldiers with a reputation known far and wide. At last on the far left the young Sigmar priest Sigfried Holzmann led the second regiment of halberdiers which waited to flank the enemy round the forest and grail chapel which represented the center of the battlefield

It was a terrifying sight when the savage army of beastmen marched across the battlefield. Gors, beastigors, and the feared minotaurs closed in on the army of man. An unnatural flock of crows attacked the tank but the tank and Van Grösse remained intact. An Amber spear flung towards Hannibal’s halberdiers and two was slain. The beasts would pay.

The imperial troops stood their ground. Hannibal gathered strength for a prayer to holy sigmar but Hannibal felt the prayer was dispelled by an enemy wizard. Bullets are not easily dispelled and the outriders handguns proved deadly to a minotaur. Somehow it managed to carry on against the enemy although heavily wounded. “Smiter” shot as well against the colossal creatures but somehow shot too far.

Holzmann had moved his regiment towards the left flank for the crucial charge but somehow another unit emerged behind. Holzmann was warned on this new threat and turned to face the gors. Again the winds started blowing heavily and Hannibal felt magic in the air. This wizard was no amateur and Hannibal barely manage to concentrate to dispel two of his spells. But the third was two much even for the potent priest and another spear tore four halbards apart. The beasts moved even closer but seemed to lose momentum for the final push.

Hannibal acted quickly. Orders were given to mighty smiter end the emperors finest. In a devastating charge the steam tank crushed the bones of the beasts elite, the beastigors, leaving only half a regiments scared and on the run. A smile came to the Lectors face when the worshippers of the dark gods were slain. The sight of Van Grösse Holding the enemy banner and shooting wildy at the fleeing troops was a beautiful sight. The Greatswords on the other hand was in trouble. Double the men were slain compared to the enemy and a chariot was closing in on the units flank. Hannibal led his horde forward to face the grim minotaurs to the sound of blazing handguns. A minotaur died in front of him and another was wounded.

Holzmann was fleeing the Gors charge, hopefully a tactical decision from his side. Amidst the battlefield the Greatswords was facing another challenge in a rampaging chariot. But the biggest challenge yet was the three monsters thundering towards the ranks of his own unit.

The impact from the beasts was terrible. Hannibals face smashed to the ground and when he rose the dust revealed the happenings. and a pile of dead stood the Bloodkin among two of his dead kin and a bunch of twisted bodies. He shooked his head and looked around. On his left Holzmann had rallied and was ready to face the chargers. “Smiter” shattered the rest of the beasts elite and the Greatswords had left a shattered chariot on the field of battle and hacked this very moment the last fleeing gors down upon a distant hill. Hannibal picked up his hammer and lunched towards the tall tower of muscle in his way. With nothing but prayer in his head and the two handed warhammer in his hand he jumped high and placed a last swing to the minotaurs head. Metal broke bone. Blood spilled everywhere while the giant body fell to the ground. In the outskirts of his field of vision the Gors on the left scattered before even crossing blades with Holzmanns halberdiers. Perhaps brute strength was enough after all to cleanse the land.

Offline Eighty

• Members
Re: 1500 pts. battle Empire vs. Beastmen
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:21:26 AM »
i cant believe no one has posted anything. this was a great write up.

well played sir!
Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline Johann Q Peasant

• Members
  • Cheese Burgher
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 03:51:44 AM »
Excellent Report!  I had a blast reading this.  I hope to see more in the future!  Thanks for putting this up.

Putting the "Off" in Off-topic.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
Yes quite a good one I like your story telling approach, you shouldn´t mind unpainted models and I would still like pictures.

Also if you want more fun games don´t include a stank in your army.

Offline Von Ulrich

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:46:39 AM »
Whats wrong with having a steam tank?

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:09:01 AM »
Nothing but against some armies it makes the game quite easy.

Hence if you want more fun go without stank.

Offline codax

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »
Haven't been on the forum for a while after i had no replies i was kinda dissapointed with the work i put into writing this report.

But now i think im gonna do another one. Maybe with pictures who knows :) Thanks guys for the great replies :)

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 01:38:35 PM »
I think the battleground is still a pretty new subforum, so you don't get too many answers yet. And battles where you wipe your opponent off the board are hard to comment on, obviously you need no advice how to win.   :closed-eyes:
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 05:14:30 AM »
I enjoyed your report codax, keep it coming.

Moxer is right on that point, you basically crushed your opponent so not much to comment on...

Offline codax

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 04:09:07 PM »
Well the plan is to follow Hannibals victories and not his deafeats :) so you will never hear a battle report where i lost :) (of course i never lose a battle :P )

I'll take the advice on the steam tank. I just don't think it is THAT good. I mean 300 pts. witch lose a LOT of combat effectiveness when it get's wounded. I could think of better nasties such as the war hydra witch comes at the cheapest cost of 175 pts.

It is pretty easily countered and no way a auto win button.

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 11:56:59 PM »
Wounding it even once or twice is the problem for some armies. Beastmen are one of those armies... even minotaurs with great weapons need 6's to wound, and the tank still gets it's 5+ save. And it can be healed with life magic.

The way I see it, Steam Tanks simply encourage your opponent to take death magic next time they play so they can purple sun the bastard thing... that is literally the only way I can think of for a beastman army to reliably deal with it.

Steam Tank is a mixed bag - it either gets dealt with very easily by an army, or is completely impossible to deal with. toughness 10 was unnecessary.. if they wanted to give it a boost they should have made it more reliable instead by rolling a d3 instead of a d6 to determine whether or not it blows up when generating steam points... not by giving armies that already had a hard time dealing with it an even harder time.

I used to like using a tank, but I'm not anymore... in 8th it's become as hated as dual a-bomb or hydra for those armies that have no way for dealing with it (wood elves, lol).
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:06:53 AM by scarletsquig »

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 09:38:26 AM »
But anywhoo I hope you post more reporst with or without stank.

Offline codax

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 02:43:47 AM »
i will just need to play a game before i make a report :P