home

Author Topic: Conversion contest: voting  (Read 8929 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Conversion contest: voting
« on: December 06, 2007, 10:32:39 PM »
The conversion contest is over, so it's time to vote for your favourite mounted standard bearer. Please see the entry thread for more pictures. Vote away, and don't forget: this is a conversion contest, not a painting contest.

FR1DAY

Wyzer1

Lederhosen

wpman

Marcus_Octavius

CaptScott

Shadoweyed

Suicidal-Rabbit

Soju

Brian Lee

Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Conversion contest: voting
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 12:51:11 PM »
So lets talk about the entries everyone!

Personally, I cannot vote as there are 4 there that I absolutely love for varying reasons, and quite a few others I like very much.

Special mentions also must go out to Wyzer for making a Warhammer-Empire mascot, a blatant attempt at kissing a%$#. Gotta respect that :-D

But what do you all think?

To those who said the Griffon Banner couldn't be mounted?
To those who entered with a Standards Bearer?
To those with a regimental base?
To those with exceptional greenstuff skill?
To those who love a good kitbash?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 04:20:27 PM »
Wow, some really class entries, Soju, yours was great, I love the idea of a "banner collector" thats awesome, but Brian Lee's totally blew me away, you are a sculpting god, the pose of the horse is perfect and the use of the warriors priest upper torso in exactly the right attitude, perfect for an inquisitorial force!

Brian Lee gets the vote from me

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
Indeed, great entries! Makes me a little ashamed of my old BSB (working on a new one too though, but nowhere near fast enough for this cometition). I like all of those models, and it's certainly hard to choose. I really like Marcus_Octavius' BSB, with the base and extra models and all. I also love Soju's idea, with all the banners in the BSB's hand. But Brian Lee's BSB looks to me like he's done the most conversion work, and it really looks like an awesome model, so he gets my vote.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »
So lets talk about the entries everyone!
I actually assumed we couldn't  :| But your a mod so thats good enough for me  :happy:

Personally, I cannot vote as there are 4 there that I absolutely love for varying reasons, and quite a few others I like very much.

Special mentions also must go out to Wyzer for making a Warhammer-Empire mascot, a blatant attempt at kissing a%$#. Gotta respect that :-D
:biggriin:

Well you see... My assumption was I would get most/some of the mods votes... which count for 10 each don't they?

Either that or Grutch might rig the election or something  :roll:

Ass-ki$$ing isn't quite as good as superior G-Stuffing skills... but its gotten me somewhere  :happy:

But what do you all think?

To those who said the Griffon Banner couldn't be mounted?
To those who entered with a Standards Bearer?
To those with a regimental base?
To those with exceptional greenstuff skill?
To those who love a good kitbash?
I voted already (Brian Lee) for his exceptional GStuff skill, so...

I do wish it was painted though. I know its a "conversion" contest but still (although we can look forward to it painted later :) )

I like how Soju went with the "Multi-Cultural" BSB  :icon_biggrin:

I'm just happy to see I have some votes! (and im sure the banner was a good deal the reason but hey, good enough for me!)

P.S. Next conversion contest Brian Lee can't enter  :-P Or if he does we just assume he won and everyone else votes amongst themselves  :icon_smile:

Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 07:27:02 PM »
It has to be Brian Lee. I mean, incredible sculpting, and a great pose.
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline Soulcaresser

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:12:23 PM »
I did vote also fore Brain Lee. :eusa_clap:

As fore the conversion it has a more dramatic and more dynamic pose to it then the others.
I would really like to see that one painted.

Offline ant7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 10:21:36 PM »
Everyone did a great job, I liked them all for different reasons and I applaud the time and effort everyone put in. I voted for Brian Lee simply because I thought the effort he put forth and his GS skills were geat. Nice job everyone.

Offline Davo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 10:30:20 PM »
Suicidal rabbit your a ledgend  :::cheers::: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: nice work

but sadly the best entry has to be Brian Lee Bravo mate
EH, EH, EH

Offline David22

• Members
  • If knowledge is power, what is gunpowder?
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 10:30:35 PM »
As far as conversion goes, it has to be Brian lee. Lets face it, the whole models green !  :icon_eek:

But if enough moneys left, please find room for Soju with his 4 banners bearer all rolled into one. That has got to be unique in the entire old-world.

Thats my vote

Wyzer1:  ...  :eusa_clap:  Nice try...

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 11:05:15 PM »
I voted for wpman, love the pose, and chaos marauder head! 
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Alasandril

• Members
  • Rosyth, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 11:57:06 PM »
Had to vote for Brian Lee, His green stuff work is spot on.

Can't wait to see the model painted though.

Greetings from Scotland; The nation that invented Armour Piercing rain

Offline Lederhosen

• Members
  • Pretend I came up with something clever.
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 12:04:28 AM »
Vote for me and I will ensure that... ah, who am I kidding, I voted for Brian Lee...

Although they all look really good and the impetus of this competition was great for me in that it helped me nail the green I was looking for.  Plus I am VERY happy with how mine came out, it is absolutely green stuff free and pretty simple but striking.  It stands out and looks great even compared to my friend's brets. 

For parts I used the general/bsb horse, body and arms.  I used the lance arm for the staff but had to shave the laurels off.  The other hand is the dagger hand with the dagger shaved off.  The standard is the 40k command standard (the two bottom flags will have a comet and the crown/griffin/hammer symbol of the Empire).  The head comes from the new hellblaster/rocket set and the standard top is from the new handgunner models.  Simple (easy!), effective and great looking.  Everything the Empire should be. 

Great job to everyone who competed!
Lederhosen's guide to having a great tourney experience
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/library/danse/tourney.php

Offline CaptScott

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 04:36:31 AM »
Now that was a great contest, this is only my second but I'm hooked.  I might not get alot of votes but it sure is fun  :-D

FR1DAY - Nicely done, the pose is very dynamic (though the first pic in the other thread really brings it out).  The greenstuff sash around the middle was a nice touch.  And great painting.  The castle on the banner is very good.

Wyzer1 - As I posted before: You - Absolute - Legend!!  Great work on the 'imperial' banner, and great work adapting archaon for the Empire.  I thought the model would be too big to match to Empire parts but you managed it.  Nice posing too

Lederhosen - Nice kitbash, final look is very good.  The 40K banner works really well, and gives it more of a BSB feel rather than using a normal unit standard.  And you've only just started WFB!!

wpman - Very cool.  Great greenstuff work on the barding and banner, and very nicely posed (I'm saying nice posing alot - all entries really excelled at this).  Where did the lion on the banner top come from?  Overall very good (in my top 3)

Marcus_Octavius - the whole model just works.  Great looking and very dynamic.  Great idea basing up all the models this way, it really stands and is going to look great backed up by a unit of your nice new pikemen.

CaptScott - wow, absolutely friggin sweet... oops, thats me!  :wink:

Shadoweyed - Nice, a Morr conversion. Having the banner attached to the back was a nice touch, I was going to do something similar but changed it at the last moment.  The 'eagle' sections on the barding and banner go really well together.  I think rear barding on the other side could have had more detail, perhaps more skulls. Overall good job!

Suicidal-Rabbit - alright! the BSB on foot model converted to be mounted, well done!  Nice work with the green stuff sash, it not only covered the join but looks really good!  The sword arm looks good, especially seeing as you had to cut through it to get him on the horse.  Well done, and a great paint job to top it off.

Soju - Great as usual!.  Very cool idea for the banner(s) - how many has he captured!!  Nice choice of head to go with the helmet being carried.  Great choice of parts, the whole model goes together really well and looks great.  Very unique (in my top 3 as well)

Brian Lee - what can I say, superb greenstuff work combined with great posing and unique ideas equals a fantastic model (we might have to start a master class category one day- your that good!).  Great idea posing the horse head that way, never even occurred to me that you could do that.  Same goes for the priest head - excellent idea!  Obviously in my top 3.

That about sums it up, well done everyone!!!!!!!!!  :biggriin:

:::cheers:::

On a separate note I am curious as to what people thought of my barding and shield (I put alot of work into them and they are my first major green-stuff conversion).  A better pic is below: (is it OK to post it here?)

Click on this link for a better WIP shot:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s65/aussct/wip1b.jpg

With the barding I tried to give it a segmented look (ie one plate across the front, and two down either side).  I think it looks a little better than the standard barding, though I'm not sure if the effort was worth it (that and my green stuff skills are pretty rough).  I like how the shield turned out, but it lost alot of its detail in the painting, and got 'lost' in the photo with the rest of the silver and gold.  Oh, and that big round thing in the middle is supposed to be a gem.  I also recommend if anyone has any chaos marauder torsos lying around use them for your knights, it really bulks them up alot.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 05:22:19 AM by CaptScott »
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!

Offline Rusty

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 11:55:16 AM »
My vote went for Soju and his conversion made out of liquid character.
Remember: fluff before you buff.

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 12:27:39 PM »
All very good conversions, guys! :-D

My vote of course goes to Wyzer1's. Soju's was my second choice.

Originality is better that Greenstuff in my mind.

Brian Lee your greenstuffing work is amazing, but I just... well there is too much of it for my tasting, if that makes sense. :roll:
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline wpman

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 05:09:35 PM »
Thanks for your nice comments. I would also like to make a few remarks. First of all, all entries are great. Lots of nice ideas. It is a pity that I had only one vote (which went to Brian Lee), because I would like to reward the efforts of some others as well. Maybe for the next contest it would be possible to give points (3 points for the best, 2 for the second, 1 for...) rather than one vote. That also would make the distance between Brian and the rest of us not so embarrassing.  :-D

But because I do not have any additional points to give I would like to mention a few great ideas:

@Captain Scott: I didn't like the standard barding, this is why I made a new one on my horse, but I like your idea much better. I'm probably gone steal that idea some time. By the way the lion on top of the banner is from a bretonnian helmet.

@Soju: Super idea. I wonder how many more banners this guy has at home (suggesting that he collects them)

@Marcus_Octavius: Great basing. Also something that never came to my mind.

wpman

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 05:18:07 PM by wpman »

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 06:16:35 PM »
Wow, first off let me just thank everyone for their kind words and good critiques. I'm a little embarrassed because I expected the voting to be much, much closer. There were so many great ideas and jobs well done. I'm sorry I wasn't able to get my guy painted up. :icon_redface: The real world just kept getting in the way. Also, I can only manage to do a small section of green stuff every few hours or my fingers end up in what i had just made a minute earlier. When time was running out I tried to work faster. I made one part, started another, ruined the part I had made with fingers, re made it, went back to the new part, than would ruin it again. It went on like this for a while ha ha :icon_confused: I'm too lazy to make a clamp.

Oh, and about all the GS. I hope nobody voted for me simply because they see a lot of green. I hope they vote for my guy because they really like the green that they see.

@ Fr1day excellent paint job. If this was a painting comp you would have been one of the top if not the winner. Great banner.  I think some WIP pics would have been good to show how much convertion you did but I know you had already started him before you realized people like to see WIP pics. He looks great!

@Wyzer   Your BSB is Awesome. And you used a lot of metal parts. Those are very hard to use in convertions. Excellent.  What I like best about him is how strong he and his horse look. The pose is also powerful. A lot of people used the horse-rearing-up pose though so not so unique. But people use it because it looks great! 

@ Lederhosen   I also loved your guy.  The banner you chose is awesome and you captured the soul of the empire with the uniform, color, and very empirial face.  The red beard goes excellent with all the green.  He was one of my favorites.

@wpman.  Another great pose, I like the green stuff work you did and you chose a great head. The movement of his hair matches his pose perfectly. I also like the lion on the top of the banner. Where is that from? Great job!!

@ Marcus_Octavius. Very cool. I love you based him so he fits in with your pikemen. The bits you chose all go together great and the painting is fantastic. If this was a diorama contest you would win! 

@ CaptScott.  I noticed your green stuff work right away and think its all great. Next you can do some GS work that stands out more than just complements. The shield is awesome and I know it must have taken time.  I usually associate huge gems with high elves, but maybe this BSB is supper rich. He looks rich with his beautiful paint job. I think some more motion in his pose would make him look even better. excellent job!

@ Shadoweyed You did a really cool thing by attaching his banner to the back of his horse. this frees up both arms for a cool, action pose. You used great bits for a BSB of morr. I'm glade you didn't use the banner with the big wings. Thats what most people use for morr so yours is more unique! excellent job!

@suicidal rabbit.   There were those who said it couldn't be done.  But you proved that the ugly metal griffon standard can be made into a cool, mounted standard griffon standard. I can tell he took a lot of work and time cutting through all that metal.  Excellent job. I also love the paint job.

@ Soju   Like many have said, your banners idea was gold. I laughed when i first saw it cause it was such a good idea. It depicts the rules of the game where banners are captured and kept for points in a clear and beautiful way. The paint job is also amazing. One of the better paint jobs infact. I like more than just the banners. He has a very noble way about him.  very good job.

If there is another competition over Christmas break I wont be participating. I wont have time.  So all these comments about voting amungst yourselves or making a master class is unnecessary :icon_frown:   Great job everyone  :::cheers:::  :::cheers::: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 06:21:05 PM by Brian Lee »

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 09:03:42 PM »
Awww Brian Lee! Noooo YOU of all of us, must compete!

BTW, cheers all for the comments, everyone did a great job here!

@ FR1DAY - gotta love the mutton chops! I love how his left arm turned out.

@ Wyzer1 - probably took a lot of time shaving off all that chaosy stuff from the horse eh? That honestly is one of the best poses ever. Reminds me of the Knights Panther painting that John Blanche did - and as I recall, someone won some kind of Demons award with that sort of conversion depicting the same painting...

@ Lederhosen - Great choice of standard, but I think the rider had slight lack of extra oomph.

@ wpman - great barding conversion (I think buttons on the cushioned bits could have made it more effective) and the hair on the banner is great - although it would've again been great, if the whole banner was lined with fur/hair.

@ Marcus_Octavius - one of my favourites... absolutely fantastic the way he's in there with his boys on foot! Positioning of the 3 figures were good and neat, and the use of the 6th edition standard arm was also a neat change. I used the right hand of the arm-set for my own conversion ;)

@ CaptScott - I think the banner in some weird way distract the viewer from appreciating the knight. I love how he turned out.

@ Shadoweyed - quite an unconventional pose for a standard bearer (with the pole mounted else where) but a great idea! Originally my own banners were going to be kept in a 'quiver' style bag, but I just couldn't get it finished on time. I think conversion wise, it's a little too simple, and the rider could've had extra oomph, like really linking him to the ox-boys (err I mean, Ostland). Like, give him real 'grrr I'm a gruff son of troll' appearance.

@ Suicidal-Rabbit - dude, you made that guy cool lol. That has to deserve a  :::cheers::: 'owever... I felt that the position of the banner was a little unnatural - the way the banner flows across the horse is a real distraction for me. It betrays the forward motion of the horse - although Ludwig also has a cross-way banner, his horse has halted, rather than moving forward. But great saw and greenstuff work!

@ Soju - that's a piece of crap conversion right there, urgh! You call that a standard bearer?  ::heretic:: ::heretic::

@ Brian Lee - I bow to your graciousness!!! I felt the little enthusiast and the little man in me DIE when I saw your entry lol. I particularly love how the rider turned out. On the horse (and I'm going to be mean to you cos you are so good - mean as in, 'constructive criticism' ;) ) the round things on the horse's rear end could've been smoother - it could be the photo actually, but it looks like fair few bumps are shown. Hairy legs on the horse makes that seem like nothing though, that's a great idea, and totally Empire in my mind.

Hail Lee! (not Hayley)

sj

Offline JGraham

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 05:39:09 PM »
Some great entries!  With these contests being conversion contests - I wonder if we could ask folks to submit both unpainted and painted pics, when they are available.  Case-in-point: Brian Lee's entry.  I think if it were painted, I'd be more likely to overlook all of the work that went into the model, but since I get to see it naked ...  :icon_eek: .  I'm not very good at spot-the-bit, and know I'm overlooking some great work in the other models because I can't see what was green-stuffed, kit-bashed, etc.

Jim

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 06:39:49 PM »
Amazing entries all, you all definitely deserve one on the house :::cheers:::
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 10:50:02 AM »
I voted for Brian Lee, not fot the quantitiy of Greenstuff used but the quality. I especially like the banner itself, very impressive design!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Lederhosen

• Members
  • Pretend I came up with something clever.
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 04:23:47 PM »
I voted for Brian Lee, not fot the quantitiy of Greenstuff used but the quality. I especially like the banner itself, very impressive design!

Yeah it was the banner that nailed it for me as well.
Lederhosen's guide to having a great tourney experience
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/library/danse/tourney.php

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 10:59:20 PM »
Voting is over and the clear winner is Brian Lee! Well done!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.