home

Author Topic: Vostroyans(Pics!)  (Read 11270 times)

Offline Agent Orange

• Members
An empty mind is a loyal mind, but can it do what you tell it?

Offline Fafnir

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:47:29 AM »
I know, they're amazing. I had put my 40K Orks and the general interest in playing 40K on the shelf quite permanently, but these miniatures are the answer to all my prayers. I have been desperately trying to find some information about them; rules or background etc etc but I have come up with nothing. Even at Warseer they are hardly mentioned at all, which is weird given that they seem to me at least to be an unexpected, completely new Imperial Guard army.

If anybody has any information on these I would greatly appreciate it.
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Rorrak

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 07:56:44 AM »
Very nice models.

40k does have some great models.

Too bad about the actuall game play. I had my first 40k game in 18 months last week and it was a sharp reminder of why I stopped in the first place.

But yea, those models are awesome.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 12:42:25 PM »
They sure beat another release of Space Marine Chapter X models.

Maybe if they'd finally re-do the Orks I'll play my first 40K game in 2 years. :!:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 01:27:54 PM »
They are probably all a sub race of black templar slaves.  :)  How else would they have been even considered?

Given blacktemplarhammer 40k rules are so slick and biased towards marines, id say those new guards are either fantastic shelf warmers or destined to be rubbish!
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Agent Orange

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 11:32:24 PM »
Wow, you guys sure love to bash 40k...
An empty mind is a loyal mind, but can it do what you tell it?

Offline Senor D

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 11:57:52 PM »
Oh wow, I'm actually tempted to start collecting 40k.

They look metal, though, which means they're out of my price range...  :(
yep.

Offline Gutsy

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:52:24 AM »
Hey, what's wrong with Black Templars?:engel:

They're nice miniatures, kinda like Steel Legion-meets-Valhalla-meets-Mordia. Still not enough reason to collect Imperial Guard though.
-Gutsy-

'06 Battle record: 0-1

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 09:42:39 AM »
Well, they definitely won't be any good- you can't have space marines losing now, can you?

Black templars are pure evil and the nastiest army. Most of the time they require no tactics whatsoever. At least, those I have seen don't.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 10:22:28 AM »
Vostroyans : no sir, I don't like them.

Now, Valhallan's on the other hand.......

Or better still the old Pirates, Mercenaries and Adventurers
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 10:53:02 AM »
The new Black Templars have been suitably toned down and are no longer over the top.

Those Codex:Armageddon Templars were almost a no-brainer. Tons of advantages without any real disadvantages for the same pointvalue? Sign me up!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 11:06:32 AM »
I like them a lot - they're very baroque and have a far more Imperial feel than most other IG lines. Well, all other IG lines, actually. Don't get me wrong, I love the Guard and am diligently building an army based on Cadians for myself, but all these lines are really just historical caricatures (or generic sci-fi bug food, in case of the Cadians). These guys, however, have "40K" written all over them.
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 12:37:51 PM »
I used to play 40k back in 2nd ed.  Marines were far too good then, and 3rd and 4th edition have improved them too much.

Sure they are slightly toned down, but my eldar were so badly mauled in 3rd edition I dont think I could possibly ever play again.

The guard are nice, but I seriously doubt they will be any good in game terms.  I used to play blood angels as my first ever GW army and they were fairly broken even in 2nd edition.  

My problems with black templars come from the fact in white dwarf thats all they ever have in 40k.  Have they purged all other marines from the face of the universe?

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 02:11:41 PM »
I think GH likes them for the reason I don't.

They are too stylised and to incumbered to look like they are really on campaign.  

I think I could forgive them more if it wasn't for the paint job, the hats and the bare chested ensign.

Here's some of my vintage PDF (armed scum)

Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline Hagen_von_Loewenstein

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 02:45:06 PM »
Quote from: Donnachaidh

I think I could forgive them more if it wasn't for the paint job, the hats and the bare chested ensign.
:?:  :?:  :?:

I really like them, for the reasosn GH mentioned. They have just the fluffy "underdeveloped future-guys"-look that fits the Imperium so well.
Even better, I think the Basilica could even well be used for WHFB-Empire-projects as well...
 :-D

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 04:50:25 PM »
They are just annoying- they promote unfair armies and a lack of tactics.

Thing is, in fantasy if you stick a unit in the middle of the battlefield without support it is slaughtered, in 40k the marines just stand there and look bored.

My own, converted guard (I want valhallans! Had to use cadians- cheaper) have so far beaten every marine army they have fought- and I am proud!

However, I take carapace armour on normal guys and 200 concripts. In 1500 points. As well as my 10 plasma guns and 10 meltaguns. Oh, and the +1 cover save...
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline valmir

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 06:33:54 PM »
I blame Gav. ;)

Seriously, though, I played 40k back in 2nd ed, and I've seen nothing to make me believe that it is any more balanced than it was back then. It certainly seems to be less 'Herohammer' than 2nd ed was, but still vastly in favour of the marines.

I remember when the Storm Troopers came out. In my naiveté, I thought 'wow, excellent, at last a unit that might be good for my IG army', but, alas, they turned out simply to be more expensive cannon fodder for my opponents.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 07:19:56 PM »
I will reserve judgement until I see how useful they are for converting into Kislevites or Ulricans.

Watch this space I may have some guns for sale.............
 :wink:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 07:57:57 PM »
Its not just marines tho, its the whole 'power armour' grouping that includes sister's chaoes  etc.  Our last major RT tourney was 70% power armour (3+) based.  

Still I've always kinda batted around the idea of an IG army, but for me it would be Tallarn, I love the robes and Arabian feel.

Either that and join the throng and eventually get around to build my lizzies in armour army, (lizardmen wearing SM armour) and use as a Lost and Damned.  I'd use Imperial Fist colours, (Yellow armour with various coloured lizard heads)
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 10:28:10 PM »
Back in the old days armies like eldar killed marines like there was no tommorrow.

A shurican catapult had 1 sustained fire dice, s4 -2 save hits which chewed through power armour at 24".  Not any more.  

Power armour is simply too good now.  Marines are clearly the most loved by gw, which is strange as warhammer doesnt have a race so powered up that its obvious who the favourite is.

Offline Fafnir

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 08:01:47 AM »
Quote from: Crimsonsphinx
Marines are clearly the most loved by gw, which is strange as warhammer doesnt have a race so powered up that its obvious who the favourite is.

This isn't really that strange; the Adeptus Astartes is the only purely Games Workshop creation in their gaming worlds. Everything else of importance draws inspiration (or more) from somewhere else, but the Space Marines are completely the creation of Games Workshop, and even if I don't play them I am the first to agree that theirs is a brilliant story.
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Gutsy

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2006, 10:46:39 PM »
Hmm, I'm starting to think that I'm a bad player. Because my templars got slayed quite often, despite this gameplay imbalance you speak of.

I guess it's good that I stopped playing 40K, then.
-Gutsy-

'06 Battle record: 0-1

Offline Kernschatten

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2006, 11:32:27 PM »
Quote from: Fafnir
This isn't really that strange; the Adeptus Astartes is the only purely Games Workshop creation in their gaming worlds... but the Space Marines are completely the creation of Games Workshop...

Without any similarities to Lucas' Stormtoopers, Heinlein's Mobile Infantry or Steakley's Powered Armor Troops.

It was much more noticeable in the Rogue Trader days. The Space Marine chapters were less discerning in who the conscripted and were quite happy to take convicts.
"We finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you. God damn you all to hell."

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2006, 11:14:07 AM »
Marines are just warrior monks, with a heavy dose of roman legions and christian holy crusades.

Admittedly the armour is different to most out there, but background wise many of the things have been stolen, such as names of planets, characters and backgrounds.

Offline valmir

• Members
Vostroyans(Pics!)
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2006, 01:04:36 PM »
There is nothing so immediately identifiable with GW as a power armoured Space Marine. I suspect that was Fafnir's point. There's a giant space marine statue outside the Nottingham HQ, IIRC.

Sad as this may be, a statue of Karl Franz just wouldn't be as effective an emblem for GW as a space marine is.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.