home

Author Topic: The Giant File  (Read 25843 times)

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Re: The Giant File
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2012, 08:41:32 AM »
When Black Scorpion released their giant pirate I fell in love and had to have it, I think the proportions work nicely with 28mm normal or heroic scale, not sure how he compares height-wise to GW or FW but he's tall enough for me.

You'll notice that the cavalry on the right is actually mounted on GW barded horses, that gives a really good indication of his size, the guy is huge! (as a giant should be)
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 02:59:51 AM »

Finally found this guy. Previously looked in the wrong places on their web site. A friend has this model and its great. (And huge.)

http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=garloch-the-giant-prince&cName=fantasy-2528mm-barbarians

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2013, 01:21:32 AM »

Can anyone ID this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-Giant-Cyclops-Fully-Painted-Based-/181100862232?pt=Games_US&hash=item2a2a73db18

Looks plastic to me. Toy? I have no idea what it is though.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 02:53:26 AM »
http://safariltd.shptron.com/p/mythical-realms%C2%AE-cyclops?pp=24

Same place the bears for my demi-gryphs came from.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »
Ah! I have looked through the figures at the craft store. That's also where my elephants came from for my own demi-gryphs. Never dug too much into the fantasy stuff, though. So I was right about the soft plastic. It doesn't look too bad in the pics. The chimera doesn't look half bad, either (not that I have a purpose for that.)

I have added this to the list at the beginning of this thread under the "toys" subheading.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:06:54 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 01:15:22 PM »
No prob. I think Darknight has been planning on using one of these as a giant as well.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 02:35:19 PM »
I have - it's sitting on my desk. I've done some basic work on converting it.

It is not really "soft" plastic as you might find on some toys. It is certainly not hard like Citadel plastics - it is "firm". Certainly good enough to take paint without flopping all over the shop like a dying fish. I cut one arm and repositioned it with superglue - worked just fine. I used the same series of models for my Pleasant Surprise - Timbor has the Griffon currently. Again, a nice model, inexpensive and really useful. They have a lovely range - I've got a couple of other models from that range I have used (planning a Chimera).

When painting them, use a coat of brush-on primer first (a basic acrylic) and then spray them - the spray primers sometimes go tacky on this plastic and do not dry properly. But, a coat of brush-on and then the spray works perfectly fine. You will probably want to seal the model with varnish after painting, too - but I'm sure we all do that anyway.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 05:53:55 PM »
Yeah, I meant soft-plastic as in the stuff that the model "toy soldiers" (1/35, 1/72, etc.) and kids toys are made of vs. the hard styrene that GW and wargaming companies use.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2013, 01:31:16 AM »
Never seen this one before...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Limited-Edition-only-99-made-GIANT-figure-from-Assassin-Miniatures-/350741537401?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item51a9d32279

Just a little too much for me right now. Not going to add it to the list in the first post since it's a limited edition and not listed on Assassin's web site.

Annoyed - I was watching two other giants on eBay, went back to buy them... too late.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2013, 03:12:45 AM »
It's been a while since I looked at the SoL giants collection page. Totally changed, big updates since I've seen it. Impressive collection.

http://www.sodemons.com/rhgiants2/index.htm

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »
Reaper has a bunch of new Giants that will be available soon in their Bones line, don't know if they'll be producing them in metal. Here are their preview pictures from their site. They've got about six more from the Bones Kickstarter that have yet been shown.

Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
I like the first one, the second one is OK but the head looks out of scale. The last one is a nice sculpt, but it's sort of ruined (for me) by the pose. It looks more like she's being photographed for a swimsuit calendar than fighting in a battle.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2013, 12:05:31 AM »
She's bending over to look at the little human with the temerity to attack her. "Aw! Isn't it cute? Who's a cute little mortal? Who's a cute little mortal? You are! Yes, you are! Yes, you are! Can I keep him? I'll take good care of it, I promise. I'll change his water and feed him every day."

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:00 AM »
I posted this in my personal plog (since I found mine in a box just now) & figured I'd include it here. 90mm historical model, looks like it's close to the same height as the Marauder giant, but with more natural proportions.

http://www.andreadepotusa.com/en/1/andrea-miniatures/108/classics-in-90-mm/205/s8-f08-doppelsldner-1520.html

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2013, 06:24:03 AM »
I've got a Pathfinder pre-painted plastic fire giant on the way. I'll post a size comparison shot when it gets here. Couldn't find anything like that online, but bought him anyway because he was under $6 shipped.  :-D

Been watching eBay. A number of the looong oop Warhammer giants have come up recently, in the UK. I've wanted one with the Cyclops head for a long time. (Since seeing it in the 3rd ed rulebook, but I never saw it available in the us.) A bit broke at the moment, so unfortunately I can't really go nuts on ebay (er, more.than I have) right now.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013, 02:47:18 AM »
I've got a Pathfinder pre-painted plastic fire giant on the way. I'll post a size comparison shot when it gets here. Couldn't find anything like that online, but bought him anyway because he was under $6 shipped.  :-D

And here he is:

The sword has definitely got to go (it's floppy soft plastic). I'm thinking about cutting off the spikes on the shoulder pads too. Actually, I can't stand the shoulder pads at all. Kind of retro, 90's Target Games (Warzone, etc.) looking. He's the shortest of the giants I've got so far, but he will gain about 1/8" when I put him on a proper base. Besides, he still looks like he could take out that Albion giant without a problem.  :wink:

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »
Here is the biggest giant model I have. I just picked him up last week when Miniature Market was selling him at 50% off during one of their daily deals. It is a limited edition Pathfinder Rune Giant from the pre-painted Pathfinder Battles line of miniatures. This one is really nice. You probably won't find too many of them at the $30 price point I got mine at. Miniature Market sold out of them very quickly the morning they were put on sale.

Anyway, here he is next to a few other Giant Models I have and a few resolute Empire citizens. I think the Empire troops may be a bit out classed here! Just to give you some measurements, he is 5.5" tall from bottom of the base to the top of his head. I'm guessing he'd be 7" tall if he weren't hunched over. The Sword is 6" long from the end of the pommel to the end of the blade.

Here is another with them all along the same plane to get a better idea of comparative size.

If you are wondering about the skeleton giant, it is from Reaper. It is called a Colossal Skeleton. They are doing a slightly modified version of it with different weapons for their Bones line, but it won't be available for a few months. They are just calling it Undead Giant and it will have a giant hammer instead of the big Khopesh style sword.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2013, 01:17:22 AM »

Just spotted this on Warseer...

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?314812-Ere-be-Giants

Cool seeing scale pics of THE Citadel Giant. The size is impressive but I still prefer the Marauder giant in terms of quality.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2013, 06:56:40 AM »
Also... tired to update the list on the first page. A few new additions, too...

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2013, 03:07:34 PM »
Saw this on eBay while browsing for other things; looked it up on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Papo-38975-Dragon-Mutant/dp/B004JQN364

It says it is only 2" on that site, but this one http://www.happyhentoys.com/38975.html says it is five - which seems more in keeping.

Would make a kind of cool giant for a Lizardman force, I think!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2013, 03:49:20 AM »
I still haven't found that Safari cyclops at any of the stores that carry other Safari stuff.

But today, when shopping at Toys R Us for my daughter's birthday present, I spotted...

http://www.schleich-s.com/en/US/Consumer-Service/Collectors-items/new_heroes/?tx_scatalog_pi1[period]=1356994800&cHash=adb1afec721ebbab48405e2a27eedbd4

They had the Spartan and African. Didn't see a price, and I know Schleich is sometimes expensive, so I didn't get any. Looked them up online and they're only $8, so I might grab one next time I'm there...  :engel:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »
Finally made it to the local game store. They had some boxes of Bones figures. It was a hassle trying to find anything, but I did dig up a few older giants and picked up one of the fire giants.

So, as you can see she's close to the size of the Pathfinder fire giant, but without the huge head. This was my first Bones purchase. Both the base and the business end of the spear were severely warped. I used a hair dryer to heat it up and got both of them almost back where they should be. I am  bit worried about storing the figure in the attic when the warm summer weather is back. The detail is nice, but her side looks a bit odd where it looks like there should be a serious (un-castable?) undercut going around her lower back. Other than that, it's beautifully sculpted. Looks almost like a dwarf version of a giant. Since she's far smaller than newer GW giants, she almost looks like she could work as an Ogre Hunter. I don't have any current GW Ogres to compare, though.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »
Instead of a hair drier, dip her in boiling water, but don't use metal tongs to hold her as they will leave impressions. Use a slotted spoon to dip her. Then bend her into the proper position and dip into ice water and hold until cooled off. Unless your attic gets ridiculously hot I don't think you have to worry.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2015, 02:51:27 AM »

ARISE MY UNDEAD MINION TOPIC AND SERVE ME ONCE MORE

I'm adding a few new links to the first post. They're listed below as well. Since it's been a while, some of those older ones may be out ot date, I don't know.

As mentioned & photographed in the B&P, I just picked up the Bones version of the Reaper Colossal Skeleton.  :::cheers:::

Black Hat
http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/index.php?cPath=121_123_154&osCsid=45c29f5cf1ac6eb6edb5a12b0482606a

Excalibur
http://www.excalibur-miniatures.com/shop/
(Not going to include individual links, you'll have to hunt them down yourself...)

Fenryll
http://fenryll.com/
(Again, not including individual links. They have giants as well as large scale figures that would work well as 28mm giants.)

Ramshackle
http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20

Splintered Light
http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/giants.html

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2015, 05:28:42 PM »