home

Author Topic: Editing  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Robert Hotchkiss

• Members
Editing
« on: September 05, 2004, 10:54:15 AM »
HAte to put a damper on the situation, but i think the WP tactica needs going over, nothing wrong with the tactics, but, armour has a u in it, and you cant put a WP in a unit of DoW pikemen, the best you can do is the light spells on it.

Soz atchly, but it's true.
If you kill me; it's self defense, if i kill ya then i call it venegeance!

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Editing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 02:40:53 PM »
As much as I like English spellings, this is an American site so thus armour is spelt "armor".

Although it is true, a few of them could use some editing.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Fafnir

• Members
Editing
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 08:28:17 AM »
Why do you say this is an American site? Even if the servers are in the US doesn't mean it's an American site, our community is fairly international as far as I can see, not even all of the Admins are Americans.

Write in whatever form of English you prefere I say, if the writer of said article preferes American English then he should write it in American English (What's this new, tolerant side of me? I don't like it...).

Even if I feel American English is a most degenerated form of a once-noble language doesn't mean everyone agree with me :-D  :wink:
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Editing
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 02:39:35 PM »
then there are the 'merican's who end up spelling like Brits.

I use "armour" all the time.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Editing
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 02:45:56 PM »
For me 'armour' is a thing like a breastplate. 'Armor' is a catch phrase including all types of tanks and such.

But that's just me....
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Editing
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 05:30:10 PM »
Quote from: Fafnir
Why do you say this is an American site?

I say it’s an American site because it is owned by Grutch, who lives in the US.
I personally don’t care which spellings are used as long as the spelling is consistent.

I spell using the British spellings – or rather the Canadian spellings – as there are a few differences (don’t ask me what they are I just know they exist). Occasionally though since my MS word spell check is American a few US spelling find there way into my writing.
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Lamen

• Members
Editing
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 05:30:25 PM »
Which country is the timing accurate to on this site. For Britain its an hour slow, but that isnt right for America, not that my Geographical skills extend that far!

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Editing
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 02:08:50 AM »
The time for this site (and all phpbb forums afaik) is Greenwich Mean Time, if you want to change the time displayed for you, you can change it in your profile.

Offline Benedictus

• Members
Editing
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 05:51:02 AM »
'S far as I'm concerned as long as the article's internally consistent (i.e, colour, armour and honour all have o's or don't, whichever the author prefers), it's fine. A sentence like this would irritate me:

"It's dishonourable to paint your armor that color." :)
Empire Army: Averland!

Bretonnian Army Blog: A Crusade into Mousillon

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Editing
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 04:10:37 PM »
"what colour should the armour be painted?"

:lol:

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
Editing
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 08:38:50 PM »
Quote from: Fafnir
Even if I feel American English is a most degenerated form of a once-noble language doesn't mean everyone agree with me :-D  :wink:

In agreement or not, with or without emoticons, this seems an entirely unnecessary, and counterproductive sentence.  

Language evolves to suit the needs of its users.  If at a point in time in the future it is decided that there is no benefit in continuing use of the "ph" in "phone", and that clarity or speed would be gained through substitution of an "f", then this is what will happen.  The linguist Wilson Follett wrote in his book Modern American Usage:
They are the professional linguists, who deny that there is such a thing as correctness.  The language, they say, is what anybody and everybody speaks.  Hence there must be no interference with what they regard as a product of nature; they denounce all attempts at guiding choice; their governing principle is epitomized in the title of a speech by a distinguished member of the profession:  "Can Native Speakers of a Language Make Mistakes?"  (A. W. Read, Abstract for the Linguistic Society of America Meeting, Dec. 28-29, 1964).

There exist many style guides for writing.  Anyone who has ever composed a research paper for a university assignment has encountered this.  What is the need for a style guide?  Does this mean Strunk and White is correct while others such as Kate Turabian, the MLA, and the Associated Press Style Guide are not?  Style and "correctness" are two different things.  For example, anyone who has read James Joyce knows his writing is vastly different than that of Salman Rushdie or David Sedaris.  Does this make one correct and the other not?  Of course not.  Their style is how each conveys feeling, sets tone, creates flow.  Their choice of certain words over others, including spellings, helps create a unique identity.  All equally valid, all equally correct.  Some styles are more accepted than others as their conditions dictate (an example being instant-messaging versus university thesis papers.)

Spanish as spoken in Spain differs from Spanish as it is practiced in Puerto Rico, Mexico, or Spanish Harlem.  Language is a natural occurrence.  "To the linguists change is the only ruler to be obeyed."  The form writing takes in instant-messaging serves a different function than that of posted messages, than that of composed email, internet articles, books, magazines, and so on.  As a member of the publishing profession, this is practically my mantra.  The appreciation for the differences from form to form, language to language, culture to culture is part of what makes international communication possible.  Similarly, the extension of this appreciation through interactions via the internet can only serve to improve communication here at warhammer-empire.com, and through the web as a whole.

I neither speak nor write a degenerate or ignoble language, nor would I presume this of my neighbors at this forum.  It's a rather yucky presumption to make, yes?

Marcus

Offline Visu

• Members
Editing
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 10:52:29 PM »
Kate Turabian, is in fact, wrong.
   PygmyHippo, I think that Fafnir was taking the piss, not actually propounding a viewpoint.  (British friends - did I use that properly?)  Another example is the first sentence of this post.  I don't like the Turabian citation style, though.
   An interesting note - the differences between American and British spelling are largely the result of one man: a guy named Webster.  Perhaps you've heard of his dictionary?  Apparently he changed the spellings when he created his dictionary.  My source for this was an episode of "A Way With Words" from NPR.  I don't know which; sorry I can't cite better.
   WRT to the original post, I think we should be strict in our output, and generous in what we accept - which is to say, be consistent within each article (whichever form of English* is most comfortable for the speaker), and allow variation from article to article.
-Visu
* I say English because the site is already in English.  I am aware that we have many non-native English speakers here, and mean no disrespect to them.

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
Editing
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2004, 11:25:05 PM »
Quote from: Visu
Kate Turabian, is in fact, wrong.

the differences between American and British spelling are largely the result of one man: a guy named Webster.  Perhaps you've heard of his dictionary?

I can accept the first as an opinion, but nothing more than that.  The second I feel is meant as either sarcasm or an insult.  I'll assume, at worst, it was meant as sarcasm, though not especially helpful.

I'm quite a fan of clear, understandable writing.  Consistent spelling helps, and on that point I align myself with Robert Hotchkiss, and it would appear in essence, most of those who posted.  The idea that one language is superior to another?  Feels an awful lot like jingoism.  It is to that sentiment I take exception, and I think we can do without that feeling on this forum.  I was working under the impression that we have a no-bashing-other-people-or-countries policy.  Sarcasm, joking, or otherwise:  words have weight.  If I am mistaken on the forum etiquette, then no harm's done.

Marcus

p.s.
Quote from: Visu
I don't like the Turabian citation style, though.

I agree completely.  To me, MLA is king.  At work, however, we're AP all the way.

Offline Visu

• Members
Editing
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »
I see that once again the vagaries of electronic communication have reared their ugly head, and garbled what I tried to communicate.
  The Webster reference was not directed at anyone in particular, but rather was a dissemination of what I considered to be an interesting bit of trivia to whomever wanted to read it.  The phrasing was meant to be whimsical, not sarcastic, and definitely not insulting.
   The Turabian quote was meant to be funny; you had raised the issue of wrongness in your previous post, and I posted a statement that was so clearly unsupported that it seemed pretty funny, along the same lines as why "Five....is right out." is funny.  It's so obviously wrong as to be funny.  Hm, my wife doesn't get these jokes either - perhaps it's time to abandon them.
   I still believe that Fafnir was making a joke.  He's merely poking fun, and no harm was meant.  Now, it might be the case that his poking fun does violate the letter of the "no-bashing-other-people-or-countries policy"; I'll leave it to the mods to weigh in on that issue.  But I think that his remark was lighthearted enough as to not merit any disciplinary action.
   To sum up, I deeply apologize for any offense taken; none was intended.
-Visu

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
Editing
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 07:43:21 AM »
Visu: No worries whatsoever.  Your explanation is sincerely appreciated.  I shouldn't be such a pedantic worrywart (the worst kind of worrywart, I'm told.)

Marcus

Offline Ronnie Soak

• Members
Editing
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 04:03:30 PM »
Fine, i'll let you off for the spelling if you dont mind me walking down the middle of the pavement when i come over for the next GT i can be bothered to come over for.  :lol:

Anyway, the main point wasnt about the spelling.