home

Author Topic: Dune: Book, Movie, Miniseries.  (Read 13138 times)

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
Re: Dune: Book, Movie, Miniseries.
« Reply #100 on: October 27, 2021, 08:43:35 PM »
My parents are both becoming somewhat hard of hearing so we have subtitles turned on all the time anyway, and I have to say it always makes a more enjoyable viewing experience. Easier to follow the dialog, some funny jokes when it messes up, and means I don't have to constantly stop when someone goes "What, what did they say?"

That and when you have kids walking in and out and talking over the movie it's a lot easier to read rather than to yell at everyone to shut up.
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2021, 04:27:10 PM »
I re-watched the movie at home and I have to say, it looks a hell of a lot better at home on my TV than that movie theater I saw it in. I liked it better this time around and I can't wait until part 2. I think my biggest problem is that I had an unrealistically high expectation for the movie. Comparing it to the mini-series isn't fair as they are pretty much opposites. The mini series explains a lot more because they didn't have the visual effect nor production budget that 2021 has and so they focused more on explaining the characters and plot, whereas the 2021 does have the budget to do all those things and tries to show more in regards to Caladan, the Atreides, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if in part 2, those explanations I was hoping for will come into play, but I am also trying not to set those expectations either. I do worry however that they are making Paul out to be a messiah not unlike what Lynch did when that's not really what his story is about.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2021, 03:06:28 PM »
I saw it on Imax and liked it. I am a hug fan of Denis Villeneuve but I thought this film could have used like a couple of more minutes of dialog explaining more on the political situation as opposed to wide angle shots of scenery. Since I have read the book I have a clear idea of why things are happening in the movie but I wonder for those who haven't read it fully grasp what is going on and why. I think Leto explaining the trap they knew they were heading into could have been expanded on, building up the tension before the attack. I can't help but wonder if the regular movie goer with no knowledge of Dune understand what the Harkonnens and Emperor are up to. Its actually better set up in David Lynch's version.

But the cast is great. Annoyed with the casting of Liet Kynes. Sharon Duncan-Brewster is a fine actress but just cant stand the virtual signalling that went on when they announced her casting. I almost avoided the film because of it. But everyone else is great and I am looking forward to part 2.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2021, 05:58:29 PM »
Think I'll go see it, even though I haven't read the book.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2022, 02:54:45 PM »
Didn't go see the film in the cinema.

Was considering seeing the movie last night.

Then I decided to pick up the book.  It is ok so far.  What little has been read reminds me of images from the first movie back in the 1980's.  I purchased the novel back then with the idea of reading it, but went to the movie instead.  The book has sat on my shelf ever since.

Heard the newest movie didn't take the plot through to the end of the book.  Hmmm ... maybe there'll be a second movie.  If the first one was successful enough perhaps.

Hopefully I'll finish the book ... lol.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2022, 03:27:11 PM »
The first time ever I read it, I was 12...13...Dune was okay. At that time I had played the strategy game Dune 2 already and had a good idea of the world. I could not get past the point where the twins decided they wanted to split up, though. Something about that scene irked me so much. After that, just 2 years ago, was the second readthrough. I didn't get past the second book this time.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2022, 06:21:20 PM »
NPR once did a survey with some where around 60,000 responses and Dune was ranked 4th on the list of all time sci-fi books.  I hope it lives up to that kind of billing.

Interestingly Lord of the Rings finished 1st, although I never really considered it a sci-fi story.  Guess they lumped sci-fi and fantasy together.

I vaguely recall Hitchhikers guide being 2nd, Enders Game being 3rd, and Fire & Ice series being 5th.  I have Enders Game and should probably read it, although not sure I'd classify the other two as sci-fi books either.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2022, 08:07:00 AM »
NPR once did a survey with some where around 60,000 responses and Dune was ranked 4th on the list of all time sci-fi books.  I hope it lives up to that kind of billing.

Interestingly Lord of the Rings finished 1st, although I never really considered it a sci-fi story.  Guess they lumped sci-fi and fantasy together.

I vaguely recall Hitchhikers guide being 2nd, Enders Game being 3rd, and Fire & Ice series being 5th.  I have Enders Game and should probably read it, although not sure I'd classify the other two as sci-fi books either.

HGTTG doesn't deserve to be that high. Fire and Ice shouldn't be sci-fi. But how old is this survey? Because that might account for it being in there.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2022, 11:02:44 AM »
Maybe ten years ago.  That would explain MacMartin's series being there due to the TV show back then.  Although confusing sci-fi with fantasy shows how much folks just weren't having a clue.  Besides, seeing the TV show isn't the same as reading the books anyway, and I doubt many of the folks who'd voted for it probably read the books too, but that's me speculating.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2022, 04:36:19 PM »
A list of some deleted or cut scenes from the 2021 movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XEjtmQ9_fk

Those mentat scenes should have been kept in, same with Paul and Jessica's combat practice and those moments with Dr. Yueh. I hope we get an extended version, but I'm not holding my breath. Looks like they shot some before and after banquet scenes too.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2022, 07:29:27 PM »
Some casting for Dune part 2 were announced recently.

The Emperor: Christopher Walken

Princess Irulan: Florence Pugh

Feyd-Rautha: Austin Butler
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2022, 11:30:52 AM »
I was going to watch the newer of the two Dune movies on youtube this past weekend, but it was going to cost $20. :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

Decided to wait.  I could have paid $12 at the theater if I had gotten on off my duff and gone.  Over time the price will come down on line, and then I will watch it.  Maybe I will go back to the book and start reading it again.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2022, 04:08:58 AM »
If you have HBO Max, its available to watch there. If not, then yeah, you'll have to wait. (You always could sign up for a free week trial watch it and then be done with HBO Max too).
― Jake the Dog

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2022, 04:24:55 PM »
I am stoked about Christopher Walken being cast as Emperor. I love that guy.

Those mentat scenes should have been kept in, same with Paul and Jessica's combat practice and those moments with Dr. Yueh. I hope we get an extended version, but I'm not holding my breath.

I hope this happens too. Have you seen the extended editions of Lord of the Rings? I have them and they are great, but fill in some surprising gaps that you don't realize. I think they are superior to the theater versions.

And I will say that about any film. I prefer extended editions. If I love the film, I want more of the characters. So Apocalypse Now Redux, The Watchmen Directors Cut to name a couple. Loved the theater versions of the films and when I heard I was going to get to see more I loved it.

If the producers of Dune are smart, they will release the two films, then wait a bit, and release an extended version of both. I feel like they are headed in that direction because on my on demand service, you couldnt rent the film as normal, only buy it for $20. That tells me they intend to bleed this thing dry.

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2022, 04:50:09 PM »
I am stoked about Christopher Walken being cast as Emperor. I love that guy.

Those mentat scenes should have been kept in, same with Paul and Jessica's combat practice and those moments with Dr. Yueh. I hope we get an extended version, but I'm not holding my breath.

I hope this happens too. Have you seen the extended editions of Lord of the Rings? I have them and they are great, but fill in some surprising gaps that you don't realize. I think they are superior to the theater versions.

And I will say that about any film. I prefer extended editions. If I love the film, I want more of the characters. So Apocalypse Now Redux, The Watchmen Directors Cut to name a couple. Loved the theater versions of the films and when I heard I was going to get to see more I loved it.

If the producers of Dune are smart, they will release the two films, then wait a bit, and release an extended version of both. I feel like they are headed in that direction because on my on demand service, you couldnt rent the film as normal, only buy it for $20. That tells me they intend to bleed this thing dry.

I agree with everything you said here.  :::cheers:::
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2022, 03:14:56 AM »
It never occurred to me that when looking at the heighliner, theres a different planet and star system inside of it, showing that space has been folded and acts like a wormhole.

― Jake the Dog

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2022, 08:19:47 PM »
I loved the film, but some parts were too subtle for the uninitiated. The execution of the heighliner for instance - pretty much perfect, except the way they framed it just made it look like they popped over through a tube from the neighboring planet if you don't know what a heighliner is, which I don't think they explained.

Showing instead of telling is usually Villeneuve's strength, but you have to show it well if you're not going to be telling the audience about it at all.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2023, 07:50:31 PM »