home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 300620 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Terrain Sidequest)
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2015, 07:58:46 PM »
I previously had been using some slate that fell off a roof onto a sidewalk near my old office. Still have a little left, but thought I needed more so when I saw this stuff for cheap, I thought I would try it out. Gives a similar look to the slate. I'm trying to stay away from anything that might decompose, dry out, or get moldy, so I'm avoiding bark, lichen, moss, etc. I've used most of it in the past, though.

Slow going, but I did just a few more skeletons. The photo makes them look a bit darker, but they look like they fit with the previous skeletons in real life.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2015, 03:50:30 AM »
One more for tonight.... a progress shot of the hills. I've got plastic on the table because I'm using it as a work surface. Should have taken it off for the pics so I could see how they look on the actual table surface.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #202 on: June 20, 2015, 02:10:19 AM »
a good shot of spray silicone keeps things from drying out, getting moldy, or decomposing, especially lichen it stays soft and pliable for a long time after spraying with silicone.  another option is to immerse your biodegradable materials in a mixture of flower preservation mix and it will keep for virtually (gamer wise) ever.   I agree thaat some things are more trouble than they are worth in the long run.  steveb

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
I like how the hills are turning out. :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2015, 07:28:12 PM »
a good shot of spray silicone keeps things from drying out, getting moldy, or decomposing, especially lichen it stays soft and pliable for a long time after spraying with silicone.  another option is to immerse your biodegradable materials in a mixture of flower preservation mix and it will keep for virtually (gamer wise) ever.   I agree thaat some things are more trouble than they are worth in the long run.  steveb

Good tips, thanks. Silicone like the stuff you spray on shoes? (Or tents?)

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #205 on: June 21, 2015, 01:54:44 AM »
yes those both work well, I prefer the shoe spray,   there is also the stuff they dry flowers in, it has a silicone base and is in powder form, just immerse item in it for a day or two and it replaces/substitues for moisture.  steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #206 on: June 21, 2015, 05:32:09 AM »

A not terribly clear photo of two of the terrain pieces on the board, with figures for scale.

I am currently working on the little rock formations and a few other bits, and testing out some matte varnish on the big round hill set. If the varnish works, then the hills in the pic and the rest of the table top will get a coat or two. (I have also started painting some figures I owe other people.)

When I set up for the pic above, I wanted to put up a backdrop. So now I am thinking about what I can put together for a better movable backdrop (including how to get it up to the table height from the floor.

Also, although I have not noticed any sagging, I am starting to wonder if I should put another shelf unit for support under the middle of the tabletop -- either perpendicular or parallel to the ones on the end -- either might work OK.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2015, 03:31:40 AM »
Did a test batch of small bits of tall grass. I figure I can use these, and others, to loosely define an area of terrain, or just add scenic background and have no effect on the game. Scattered along river banks, for example. They were made with the green stained bristles from one of the cheap paint brushes I used on the table top.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »
Yes!  They look great! :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
They look fantastic. I like the idea of using them to just mark out a rough boundary for something like a swamp for marsh.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (A Knight and Some Undead Wishing)
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2015, 05:29:11 AM »
A very quick paint job on one of the current Citadel plastic chaos knights. I had this single knight left over from other projects & figured I could use him as a leader of some sort. Stuck with the usual color palette.

Also, a little behind the scenes photo from when I was painting the horns on his head. I used a few layered washes and hung him (and his magnetic base) upside-down from my light (which is steel.)

Speaking of my light, I finally replaced the two fluorescent lamps in it. They were probably older than I am. I got the same lamps as I had, but the new ones are so nice and bright!

I keep a "wanted" list of miniatures and related items. My budget is extremely small, and I'm trying not to outpace painting too much, so items are only slowly removed from the list. I've recently started feeling nostalgic and have decided that I really need to have two pieces of the past that I honestly can't afford. Unless I find some hidden bargain or manage to arrange some sort of swap for figures or painting services, I'm not sure I will be able to cross these off my list any time in the foreseeable future.

The first is the old Regiments of Renown Nightmare Legion. I had this (painted!) when I was younger and bought minis without much concern for focusing on large armies. I eventually sold or traded it away. But now I am dying to get a set for my current project!

The other item isn't actually miniatures. Long, long, loooong ago I worked in a store and we had a (sealed) copy of Ratspike. I should have bought it. I didn't. I've been thinking about it lately, and would really like to get it.

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »
Ah, didn't realise you on TMP. Love the Chaos Knight.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »
Nice Knight.

Tell us about the ship sketches stuck on your light. Another project? Coincidentally, I keep all my small magnets stuck to the steel arm of my anglepoise lamp. I hadn't thought of sticking miniatures or notes to it though!

All John Blanche books are highly collectible and thus pricey - something to treat yourself to as a birthday present perhaps. But Nightmare Legion models come up on UK eBay all the time, and you can pick them up for fair prices if they aren't in the original box.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2015, 03:14:22 PM »
Ah, didn't realise you on TMP. Love the Chaos Knight.

THanks. I haven't been to TMP in years. Not sure I remember my password. :unsure: Was something posted recently?

Tell us about the ship sketches stuck on your light. Another project?

I had started a series of paintings in the theme of local (I'm in Cleveland, Ohio) "mythology." They were a bit like traditional mythology but given regional flavor. I only finished two of them (and some sketches) before becoming a parent virtually killed my art career. One of the two I did was "The Lake Erie Mermaid" which actually has a Warhammer connection! The original idea came from my Marienburg BSB! There was more to it, but instead of holding a sword and bag of gold, this one held a fish skeleton and a shipping vessel. When I was composing the painting, I wanted to see how the ship would look at different sizes, so I sketched them on individual pieces of paper to find the size that looked best. I still have the painting (the other sold, despite the fact that both of them only hung publicly for a very brief time) and it's hanging in our home.

All John Blanche books are highly collectible and thus pricey - something to treat yourself to as a birthday present perhaps. But Nightmare Legion models come up on UK eBay all the time, and you can pick them up for fair prices if they aren't in the original box.

The Blanche/Miller book seems priced along the lines of other OOP art books I've drooled over. Better than some, in fact. Same with the Nightmare Legion. I've been keeping an eye out on eBay, and it seems that the lower price for a full unit is around $150-$200. If I remember correctly, there were 24 figures in the unit. So again, it seems in line with other OOP figures. It might not have been a huge issue in better times (though I'm still not inclined to pay a lot for most figures...) but out of reach for me now.

I've been considering selling off some other part of my collection to raise funds, but I've already regretted so many much of what I've sold (and I don't have a huge collection left anyway) I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:57:12 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2015, 05:59:06 PM »
Mail day! Thank you Ral Partha Europe!

I can't seem to take a clear photo with my phone for days now, so it's a bit blury, but the Meier dragon and two skeletal ogres arrived. I'm dying to start on these right away, but have some other things to work on first. I am also thinking about taking a shot at sculpting the ogres a couple of friends before I paint them. Not saying that I will be successful... but I think I'd like to take a shot at it.  ;)

The ogres are a little bigger than the old Golgfags I'm using with the Undeadish, but I'm OK with that. Scale is all over the place in this project, and it still looks OK. The dragon is the perfect size for me. In fact, it's close to the same size as The Caller's mount that I previously painted up. I will post some better pics with other figures for scale at some point.

Also of note, the dragon is in four parts, and they key into each other really well. They need t a bit of filing to get them to fit, but once that's done I shouldn't need to pin the pieces. Very well sculpted. But I suppose that's to be expected. Tom Meier has always been one of the best.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »
Nice purchases! Must admit I didn't know they still made that dragon - mine is an old, second hand one, pinned in numerous places because it arrived in more pieces than Tom Meier ever intended... sculpting your own ogre skellies would be impressive, I'd love to see you try that.

Interesting story about the ship sketches, thanks for sharing that, perhaps it illustrates (pun intended) the difference between us guys who paint miniatures and proper artists like yourself. I'd love to have art-that-I'd-made hanging on my wall. Maybe in future you'll have more time for such projects again?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #216 on: June 30, 2015, 05:59:57 AM »
It will be a challenge if I attempt that sculpting, but I feel like I'd like to take a shot at it. Unfortunately, it may take a long time to get to it, and I don't know how long I can resist painting those two from RPE. But I'd like to keep them bare metal for reference.

I just put the dragon together, and it took a bit more work (and will require some filler) than I had anticipated to get the pieces to fit.

I also stumbled upon one last, and very small, dragon from my old collection. Old enough that I had painted it with enamels! It's a Grenadier figure, and I think it was called a young forest dragon or something along those lines. Smaller than the Meier dragons. I'll get a pic sometime soon.

I finally put some varnish on the table, and to celebrate, I set some terrain and many of the recent figures out on the table. The Undeadish are on the march, coming down from the foothills. A small cottage is in their path...

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #217 on: June 30, 2015, 12:27:57 PM »
023, can you tell me more about that thar Regiment of Renown? This is not Richter's crew, right?
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #218 on: June 30, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »
Nope, it was an older RoR. Betrayed Tilean mercenaries. The fluff & old stats from the box reprinted here: http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rrd02nightmare.htm

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #219 on: June 30, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »
Nope, it was an older RoR. Betrayed Tilean mercenaries. The fluff & old stats from the box reprinted here: http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rrd02nightmare.htm

Geez, even the older throwaway regiments are better...Thanks :)
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Setting the Scene)
« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2015, 02:26:55 AM »
 4 oldschool dragons prepped & primed. :)

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
those are great old dragons, cannot wait to see them painted, steveb

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #222 on: July 02, 2015, 05:30:50 PM »
Happy happy happy!  :eusa_clap:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Undead Dragon)
« Reply #223 on: July 07, 2015, 01:27:16 AM »
I painted up the Undead Dragon in similar colors to the rest of the Undead(ish.) I've got mixed feelings about the results. I think I may end up putting a little more (brush)work into it. I'm trying to find a balance between wanting to add detail, but keeping the simple character and palette of the rest of the Undead. Maybe I should hold off and put that effort into one or two of the living dragons first, and then take another look and see how I feel about this one?

He/she needs a name. For the moment I'm referring to him/her as "Calgon the Black" until I think of something more appropriate.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Undead Dragon)
« Reply #224 on: July 07, 2015, 01:47:17 AM »
Mavis.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.