home

Author Topic: Grand Battle 10k: Empire Tactical Thread  (Read 17015 times)

Offline George

• Members
Re: Grand Battle 10k: Empire Tactical Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »
In general looking good guys.

On setting up the BC file. Under Define Army in the Game details...
I usually set my warmachines up as 60mm round bases (its the base I put on my actual models.
The archers can have their spacings setup to be 0.5"
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline Vamoose

• Members
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
In general looking good guys.

On setting up the BC file. Under Define Army in the Game details...
I usually set my warmachines up as 60mm round bases (its the base I put on my actual models.
The archers can have their spacings setup to be 0.5"

George, do you remember what size bases HHG uses for war machines in the TDGs/TEGs? There might be something to be said for consistency, as though this isn't really a TDG or TEG, it's a collaborative report on W-E and it might be nice to maintain already established sizes.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2013, 08:59:11 PM »
I think 50mm square by the look of it
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline dseevers1854

• Members
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »
The Chaos army advances, gentlemen. It's time to start considering our moves.

On an aside, is everyone fine with the spell selections for their wizards? I don't believe you ever commented one way or the other Vamoose.

Offline swampsheep

• Members
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
Without seeing their army list it is a bit hard.

In any case, I think we're in a pickle already. They have basically split their army into two forces ignoring the middle more or less. They have two local superiorities. That means, that I have to decide how to split my forces, as I will not see anything moving against me.

My suggestion would be we go for local superiority on one of the flanks. We decide on one flank we want to win, and I move the majority of forces in that directing, giving us local superiority. I will move some forces forward to attempt to secure the objective.

Offline dseevers1854

• Members
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »
A little early to pass this judgement, but I could see a scenario where they move the Warriors and Chosen through the river between the fortress and the hill.

However, following your train of thought, swampsheep, can we gain superiority on our left flank, even if we were to move all of your forces in that direction? If not, then I think the choice is clear that we leave the left to its own devices which may simply include grabbing the points from artillery bombardment that can be gained. With a couple of well placed fireballs and volleys of cannon and helblaster fire I think the trolls could be ours.

Another option might be to shift as much of our forces as possible to the left. Our mobile units can attempt to evade and divert while that's happening and ultimately leave the right flank, chaos army without many good choices.

Offline swampsheep

• Members
« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
I doubt we can ditch the right flank totally. They have too many fast units - we wouldn't be able to get away unless we deal with those first.

I don't think they'll move towards center. If they wanted that, they'd placed units in the center. And if they are doing that, we can meet them on the way there.

I think we should put emphasis on the right flank for now.

Offline Vamoose

• Members
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »
Ah, we're back in gear at last.

Dseevers, I did post my spell selection, though it was in a post edit so I can see it easily being missed. The Lv 4 Shadow swapped Steed for Miasma and the Lv 2 Fire swapped Fire-Cloak for Fireball.

Also, all I can say is we picked the correct flank to put the gunline on. Three Chimerae and a Trollstar? Yikes.

Edit: Oh, and looks like the Daemon Prince as well. Oofah. This could get bloody.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
Please note that there is a demon prince beside the chaos chosen and they don't have a champion anymore.   I'll update the map when the first of the vanguards are in.

Offline dseevers1854

• Members
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2013, 12:15:23 AM »
It sounds as if we've settled on abandoning Vamoose on the left flank. I do think we may need to see a push of the Steam Tanks towards the gap just in case the Warriors and Chosen do get wise an attempt a flank charge through that hole. Swampsheep and I will focus our attention on the right flank. What would be marvelous is if we could push there wizards so that one of the zones is without a caster. A phase or two of magic dominance in any one zone could prove very helpful.

Offline Vamoose

• Members
« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2013, 03:14:23 AM »
Right, so sounds like my game plan is going to be prioritize the Chimerae, Daemon Prince, and the Trolls and just try and bloody that side as much as possible. If I manage to get the room to do so, I'll try to break the Steam Tanks free, though it seems like that won't be a given, considering they know those are some of the nastiest pieces on my flank. I think, considering objectives, we're going to be looking at holding the center as best as possible, as they've neglected it, and the tower and fort aren't that far apart so swampsheep shouldn't have too much trouble there. Of course, that does mean going into the lion's den, but I think it's necessary. My flank can't advance fast enough to take the Chaos shrine, dseever's cavalry (possibly) can't hold the village, and Archaon seems like he'll be close to impossible to kill. With that in mind I'll plan on killing things that threaten our center and holding them off as long as possible on the left, which should give us some advantages on the right.

It's interesting, really. Both cavalry flanks matched up against each other, and the toy-heavy flanks matched up against each other. We'll see how it plays out.

Offline swampsheep

• Members
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »
Do the general have any overarching plan? When it is going to be our turn, we should be ready to do something, so we might as well start discussing now?

Offline dseevers1854

• Members
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
I think we're best served having our left flank bloody and tie up what's in front of them for as long as possible. I'm still worried that the WoC and CoC will divert between the hill and fortress. Even more so when I suggest that our Greatswords and the rest of the center line should begin to swing towards our right. The center with the help of the ICK and Demigryphs should be able to clamp down on the chariots and then push towards the Hellcannons.

I think with a little maneuvering we can get our Captasus and Griffon General behind their lines by using the cluster of houses for help.

Offline swampsheep

• Members
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »
I can move the GS in that direction but at the very best it will take 4 turns before the GS are anywhere near anything interesting - and most likely 4 or  might also pass. I think they will come much more in handy on the other flank.

Offline dseevers1854

• Members
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2013, 12:13:50 AM »
Do you feel like we'd be better served splitting the center forces? I don't know how well that will work, but if you're worried about positioning in the early rounds, that may be the only choice.

Offline swampsheep

• Members
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2013, 09:00:54 AM »
If we don't, I think we'll have 1.000-1.500 points unable to do anything in the first half of the battle which will be a huge disadvantage.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2013, 12:42:35 PM »
charges?

Offline dseevers1854

• Members
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »
Knights 4 and 5 into Mauraders 1. I will want to resolve this fight first hoping for K4 to overrun into Mauraders 2.

Closest Captasus in Mauraders 2.

I believe that will be all of my charges.

Also, I sent you a note about a missing Warrior Priest in the ICK unit. Also, regarding the Demigryphs that were just hit, I believe there should be two left as those units are 4 wide, not 3.

Offline swampsheep

• Members
« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2013, 02:32:46 PM »
I have no charges in center.

Is it possible to get the BC file maybe? And/or a better resolution picture?

Offline Vamoose

• Members
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2013, 08:35:12 PM »
No charges on the left, either - though perhaps that's obvious   :ph34r:

Offline dseevers1854

• Members
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »
Remaining moves for Right Flank are as follows:

Captasus moves to the right and up so as to put him out of the line of site of the Marauders between the buildings and angled inward so as to have some line of site of the knights and captain above him and the space behind the buildings where the Mauraders will likely move next turn.

Griffon General moves between buildings in front of him as close to the Marauder unit as possible.

Knights 1 and 2 move up just past the two roads. Angle them some so that CW2 and CW3 would still hit their front and overrun to the left towards our center.

DK 1 and 2 come up to the first road.

ICK swivels and comes up to the first road as well.

Life Wizard comes up in space between DK2 and ICK and just a little behind to keep from being a viable charge target.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2013, 04:49:32 PM »
Do we have movement orders for the left or should they just stand still?