home

Author Topic: Fireforge Games - Forgotten World kickstarter (20.09.2018)  (Read 24004 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Fireforge Games - Forgotten World kickstarter (20.09.2018)
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2018, 01:54:22 AM »
I have so many projects going on that if I started an undead army, who knows when it might ever happen.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2018, 05:40:58 AM »
Wondering which historical sets ya picked up Zygmund :icon_question:

I'm sure to take the Foot Sergeants. But I put my money also into two standard boxes (21 € in this KS), and haven't yet made a final decision. Russians and Mongol cavalry could be nice. Look to the east.:)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »
So I didn't pledge.
And I assume its too late?

I guess I will have to wait - not as though I am in a rush and don't already have hundreds of models to assemble and paint already!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
Yep Warlord, the campaign is complete.  Sometimes companies open up somewhere for after the fact pre-buying, although not always.  Fire Forge seems like the kind of company that might offer pre-buying at the kickstarter prices, yet we'll see.

Wondering which historical sets ya picked up Zygmund :icon_question:
I'm sure to take the Foot Sergeants. But I put my money also into two standard boxes (21 € in this KS), and haven't yet made a final decision. Russians and Mongol cavalry could be nice. Look to the east. :)
The foot sergeants is an excellent box.  I've seen the Mongol cav they are very good.  Haven't seen the medieval Russians.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
The word is that they might deliver earlier than forecast, as the original due date was based on having to get the extra stretch goal plastic kits done.
I've gone early bird and will just get Northmen - to go in my new militia style army on 20mm square bases … … … ….  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2018, 01:20:37 PM »
It looks like these kits come with square and round bases!

I'm excited because the square bases will get used with these fantasy figures, and the round ones will be used for some of my historicals.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »
I have the sergeants box already ... They're my next painting project and just what the mercenary Bretonnian Brabanzon need.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2018, 07:40:24 PM »
Oooh!  Good idea.  :::cheers:::

They definitely work as Bretonnians. :icon_cool:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »
My Foot Serteants will be generic high/late medieval mercenary infantry. A unit of their own, deployable (and dispendable?) in most games I play.

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2018, 11:53:23 AM »
Your making me wish I'd ordered some. :icon_lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2018, 12:15:05 AM »
So here's the info from their first update after the campaign ended ...

Greetings backers!

We are working to start the production as soon as possible. We still have to adjust and fix something (like someone saw about the faction shield, we did a mistake on the side where are turned the symbols). So, what will happen now?

As soon as possible we will launch our post pledge campaign, probably with pledge-manager.com

With Pledge Manager, you will let us know which products taken with your pledge and you will be able to pay for the shipping costs. Probably payments will be processed by Stripe, it will be not possible by Paypal.

With pledge manager we will open for a late pledge to all who asked in these days who didn't joined in time on the campaign.

We will also allow to who pledged supporter with just 1€ to join late pledge (we discovered that in the last 48€, most of them didn't know that we don't allow pledge changes like we wrote in the faqs)

Someone asked about folk rabble: we are still working on them, we are trying to obtain a plastic set that will be useful to get angry peasants/rabble levies and normal villagers to be used in roleplaying games. Naturally we want launch pledge manager only once we will have their layout to show, so everyone will be able to choose folk rabble among their boxes

The same for free frames: we are still in production progress, so the layout can suffer small changes. We will show the final layout of the frames in pledge manager so you will be able to get the frame you need

We are almost ready with starting beta of the rules, everyone who backed for forgotten world starter set or forgotten world rulebook will get an invitation and will receive a pdf with the beta rules.

If you have further infos please write here so we will be able to answer to everyone and everyone will be able to read our answer.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2018, 03:53:30 PM »
Kind of weird to see the Stripe thing. I can't remember if I've paid for other kickstarters through paypal or just straight from a credit card.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »
Yep, evidently according to the comments, Stripe is a pay system connected some how to Kickstarter, although believe I've only paid through PayPal for most if not all of my pledges.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2018, 07:49:04 PM »
I don't care much for the human infantry. There's something that I don't like about them being obviously GoT, but meant to represent something completely unrelated.

The zombified soldiers though, I like them. For WFB/T9A, I prefer zombie models with some amount of armament, to justify them being threatening. Even if it's just a single S3 attack, that's still supposed to be comparable to a living human swinging a hand weapon.

I just recently got an awesome idea for T9A: The army of Gilles de Raux, the Vampire-King of Equitaine during the Seventh Age, whose followers embraced vampirism and necromancy in order to save their homeland from being overrun by the Ratmen. Army would be Blood Dragons absolutely maxed out to be combat monsters, including Vampire Knights, with the rest mostly zombies to clog the board and bog down the enemy.

The people whisper that I am a dark king, and curse me behind my back for leading an army of the dead. Would they prefer that it was an army of the living, to which they would be levied to suffer the horrors of war? An army that they would have to feed from their meagre stores? An army that they would have to quarter in their homes, that might inflict violence on their men and violation on their women? Be that as it may, I do not fight for the acclaim of the ignorant and prejudiced. I fight for Equitaine, and will endure any infamy for my homeland. I will ride with my avenging sword in hand until Equitaine is free.
-King Gilles de Raux

The crypts are our barracks! The graveyards are our mustering fields! The dead will rise, for vengeance! The dead will rise, to fight for the living!
-Royal Paladin Reynaud the Red Knight, from one of his better propaganda speeches
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:51:20 PM by Konrad von Richtmark »
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
The armaments of the human infantry are really generic 13th to early 15th century. The GoT series is not the first nor the last to go for that inspiration. Even GW has had troops with similar armour and helmets. Like one of the Empire Militia chests and some Bret plastic infantry.

I agree some of the painted examples and especially their wolf emblems lean towards the style of the GoT series northerners. But really the design is not invented nor owned by the GoT series makers.

GoT made it publicly known and recognized, of course.

-Z

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2018, 12:34:47 PM »
It's not just the northerner infantry, it's everything. That one hero character is the spitting image of James Cosmo as Jeor Mormont of the Night's Watch. Those as of yet unfunded soldiers of the other human faction look almost identical to Lannister troops as shown on GoT, a style I don't believe ever existed historically, even if it is a combination of a variety of historical styles from around the world. The middle guy too is the spitting image of Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister.

If I were to abandon sense and give in to my creative inspiration to make the army of Gilles de Raux, those zombified northerner soldiers would fit in well. That armour could, based on painting, either pass off as leather or padded armour. Those zombified lannisters though, they'd stick out, and only being two poses, it wouldn't help to separate them alone into something else, like Grave Guard.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2018, 12:43:25 PM »
I haven't seen the TV show.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2018, 02:30:15 PM »
I think Fireforge have gone deeper than GoT for inspiration. GoT just has a dominating position in modern fantasy, so is an easy reference point.

I'd search for James Cosmo's face in the Frostgrave Soldiers box, and compare the other human faction armour to that worn by the Minas Tirith warriors in Peter Jackson's LotR. The Fireforge armour with the heavy chest plate I find more realistic than in GoT or LotR. Hope to see them in production some day.

I think Fireforge have been quite clever in designing their fantasy line to echo with many recent fantasy bestsellers, but then enhanced the sculpts with historical references and characteristics of their own.

-Z

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
Yeah, well, I shouldn't be complaining (and I really am not), just saying why the style doesn't quite do it for me. As I said earlier in this thread, those Lannisterific heavy infantrymen would work as T9A Imperial Guard (not for me, and I'm anyway good in that regard after having done my Perry foot knight conversions). The more plastic ranges there are out there, the better. The undead especially are good, I would much rather buy them than GW's current fare, which I frankly find hideous, and not in a good way.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2018, 04:32:30 PM »
I think Fireforge have gone deeper than GoT for inspiration. GoT just has a dominating position in modern fantasy, so is an easy reference point.

But when it comes to armour, GoT should really not be used as such, because there are quite many costumes, which are ridiculous and total garbage in my opinion. (Assuming, we are talking about the TV show here.)

Edit: I mean, whoever designed this for example, should consider changing profession entirely.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 04:38:24 PM by Victor »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2018, 04:42:38 PM »
Uh oh, imagine that, fantasy looking like fantasy. :icon_wink:

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2018, 04:58:19 PM »
Fantasy looking like garbage.

That's the thing I always loved about the old Warhammer and the Empire. Everything was heavily based on / inspired by real historical things and the fantasy element was just the flavour on top. Most fantasy armours, weapons and costumes, that try to reinvent the wheel, fail absolutely miserably. I have an almost irrational hatred towards those. Can't helpt it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2018, 06:56:16 PM »
That can be attractive to me, too.

However, Steveb has kind of weakened me a bit on that attitude, and I've become a bit more flavoristic in my fantasy approach as a result.

Besides, these guys could be good mercenaries in so many Warhammer situations, plus maybe backwoods Stirlanders who can't afford anything else but this, Wissenlanders from the mountainous areas that might be partially influenced by Bretonnia, Tilean mercs who've managed to cobble together a mixture of equiptment, or even a Bretonnian influenced Border Prince army.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2018, 12:07:25 AM »
I was not talking about these "Stark miniatures" from the KS. I'm not a massive fan of them, but they are decent and can be used for conversions, hence why I started this thread. With the Lannister minis on the other hand, we are approaching bad fantasy (body-) armour territory already.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2018, 08:59:04 AM »
What Victor said. If "fantasy" means that anything can be anything like Alice in the Wonderland, nothing has any significance in the fantasy world. There is such a thing as internal, contextual realism.

The best fantasy worlds are those where the creators have given proper thought to the consequences of the presence of the fantasy elements, and made it show in how the world works. For instance, warmachines in Warhammer should be designed lighter, more agile and faster to aim than their real-world counterparts. Because the latter were designed to shoot at slow-moving rank and file, the former have to be able to deal with flying monsters.

Stupid armour has no reason to exist in a fantasy world, unless its user has style as a much higher priority than utility. Which is an entirely plausible motivation, though people who can afford to splurge money on such would probably have separate battle armour for actual combat.