home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296132 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Variety Update)
« Reply #275 on: August 13, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »
The High Elf on a griffon is excellent!  Reminds me I still have the HE side of the 8th edition set, and look forward to painting them someday.  I like the small scenic ponds and monoliths, too!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #276 on: August 13, 2015, 05:23:08 PM »
That griffin is a really nice model. I was thinking I should get one and try to convert it to an Empire hero.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:29:12 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #277 on: August 13, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »
Thinking of magnetizing mine inorder to use the griffon for more than one rider, particularly since I'm not a fan of the most recent griffon provided by GW for Karl Franz.  Although I do have the older metal griffon with elector count.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2015, 02:35:36 AM »
If you mean the one reared up on its hind legs, I love that model too. Mine is assembled (magnetized rider as well!) and primed, but I haven't started painting it yet.

One more pic to add. I finally finished the bases on a couple of quickly painted old townsfolk.

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2015, 03:05:04 AM »
(( 0-2-3,

Do... those townfolk give "mob" a bad name? 

Sorry... my sense of humor found that idea funny. ))

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2015, 08:09:44 AM »
If you mean the one reared up on its hind legs, I love that model too. Mine is assembled (magnetized rider as well!) and primed, but I haven't started painting it yet.
Yes, that's the one.  My griffon is currently not even primed, but the original rider has been primed and painting to the point of blocking out with color only.  I've used him as a commander on horse, and like the idea of magnetizing that model as well.  Maybe he'll make it into my "100 Days of Painting" effort that is currently ongoing.  Maybe, because there are so many things that this is causing me to want to paint.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2015, 04:43:58 PM »
Yet one more pic, now that the recipient has seen it. Another project I've been working on for months, this one is part of a trade deal for some old figures. One or two little details I'm still going to add, but just about done.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #282 on: August 14, 2015, 09:02:58 PM »
nice, very nice!  steveb

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #283 on: August 14, 2015, 10:01:37 PM »
Indeed. Quite picturesque. The only thing missing is a town or village background.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Nightmare Legion and Table Set Up)
« Reply #284 on: August 17, 2015, 04:18:53 AM »
Working on that.  :-D Unfortunately, those figures will be heading back to their home soon. But I have my own collection of townsfolk started. For now, though, a small farm below....

My sleep has been screwed up this week, so I was up late the past few nights. Figured it would be a good time to wrap up enough of the Nightmare Legion to field a basic unit . Still two more 40mm bases to paint, which will have the four command figures and more troops.

Also, just because I wanted to see how my forces were shaping up, I set up a table. I think this helped boost my spirit a bit regarding gaming. I'm still not sure how/what/when I will do in terms of actual gaming. But at least I can feel like I'm doing something that looks pretty decent on a table.

I'm waiting on the owner of the previously posted elf griffin to stop by to pick it up, so I left it threatening a flank in the meantime.  ;)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2015, 01:44:35 PM »
Looks grand! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Trays of Marienburgers)
« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »

[/quote]

Your painting rocks,

do you use Vallejo?

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2015, 08:07:53 PM »
Some Vallejo -- mostly the bright red, yellow, and blue, and the metals. Some Reaper Master Series. Some craft paints (trying more as they seem to be getting much better lately.) GW washes.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2015, 10:12:58 PM »
The Legion looks great in your paint scheme!  :eusa_clap: And the table looks very good in these pics. Are those door mat cornfields by any chance?

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #289 on: August 18, 2015, 08:21:23 AM »
Really nice! :eusa_clap:
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
Are those door mat cornfields by any chance?

Yes they are.

I can't believe how difficult they are to find locally! Almost all mats seem to be printed with some design on them. I was never able to find a plain one, and finally bought one that had the least amount of printing I could find. I cut off a few small "raw" parts for the fields, then threw away the rest. Such a waste. :icon_redface: I wouldn't mind having more, and may end up seeing if I can get a plain one shipped cheaply at some point. But it's rather low on my list of priorities.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog
« Reply #291 on: August 20, 2015, 05:23:58 AM »

While sorting out the Marienburg figures for use in my planned basing scheme, I noticed a couple of cases where I could paint up just a few figures to round out a unit so it would be ready for the battlefield. In most cases, that means 16 infantry, 8 cavalry, or 4 big critters for the basic unit building blocks.

So I painted up one more pistolier, and started on four more dwarf pikemen as a quick break from the undead.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #292 on: August 20, 2015, 08:58:17 AM »
Lovely skin! It's loveliness really stands out with the black undercoat remaining around it.  :eusa_clap:
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #293 on: August 20, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
That horse looks fantastic. I have a huge problem with horses. They all end up just brown, or black.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »
Always a treat to see what 023 is doing with his painting. :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #295 on: August 21, 2015, 06:21:55 PM »
Lovely skin! It's loveliness really stands out with the black undercoat remaining around it.  :eusa_clap:

Thanks! I defy those who say that you can't paint bright colors with a black undercoat!  :-D

That horse looks fantastic. I have a huge problem with horses. They all end up just brown, or black.

Thanks. The best thing I did for learning how to paint horses was to buy a cheap photo book of horses from a used book shop. I ignored the "how to paint a horse" tutorials and photos of other people's horses and just tried to paint miniatures according to the photos. Through trial and error I think I've done OK. (That was before the internets were as big as they are now -- you can do the same for free online now.)

Always a treat to see what 023 is doing with his painting. :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

:icon_redface: Thanks!

Stuff! In the mail!

I should never need to buy another flight stand in my life after today.

Hmmm... I've always wanted to try one of those floating terrain projects. Maybe I should give it a try.... :ph34r:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #296 on: August 25, 2015, 02:30:48 PM »

With these four dwarfs finished, I can now field a full unit. (Maybe a unit photo next update?) Disappointed that the camera really flattened the colors. I'm quite proud of the bright highlights on these guys. ;)

And just to prove that I've finally started painting that Westfalia sample halfling....

While waiting for paint to dry on the above figures, I worked on the Citadel jabberwock. Again, the camera sort of washed out the color. Hard to tell, but I added some nice sickly purples & yellows on this, rather than sticking with the usual  neutral greys of most of the undeadish.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #297 on: August 25, 2015, 04:30:31 PM »
And just to prove that I've finally started painting that Westfalia sample halfling....

I like it. Now I'll want to pick up a couple from that range. One as a Bret, and one for the Witch Hunters.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #298 on: August 26, 2015, 11:45:59 PM »
Here's the rest of the unit of old dwarf spear/pike:

And the now completed Westfalia halfling:

I've been experimenting with more terrain. This was done with a bit of pulled apart steel wool, glued to a base, sprayed with brown primer, and then glued with some clump foliage. 

As posted elsewhere, I picked up this "Lord of the Feast" from Hordes.

And this is what it looks like out of the package:

I've got conflicting feelings for it. On the one hand, I love the figure and it's well sculpted. I also like the size (for my project) which is significantly taller than a normal human. I will have to dig up the figure, but I think it should look good with the old Citadel "Death Elemental." But on the other hand, it's seven pieces with mostly bad glue-joints, and little opportunity for easy pinning. It looks like it will fall apart if used for actual gaming. My experience with sculpting, mold making, and casting is admittedly limited, but I think this really could have been designed with better joints and/or in fewer pieces. I go this because I was excited to work on it next. But right now I can't work up the enthusiasm to try putting it together properly.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #299 on: August 27, 2015, 12:07:57 AM »
I agree with you completely. Fantastic looking model, and it looks like it fits with your project. However it also looks like it could be a nightmare to glue. Good luck with that. As much as I loved the old metal GW models, putting them together is not a fond memory.