home

Author Topic: Multi Colored Empire troops like true Landsknechts  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
Multi Colored Empire troops like true Landsknechts
« on: April 13, 2022, 11:58:06 PM »
I am looking to start getting back into Warhammer and building up an Empire army. I am toying with the idea of going classic Landsknecht multi colored uniforms. My problem is, where in the fluff would this fit in? I remember back in the day one of the members here had a Marienburg army with multi colors but everything I can find on Marienburg says nothing about state troop uniforms.

My backup plan was Wissenland grey/white but that would be so bland.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Multi Colored Empire troops like true Landsknechts
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 02:22:49 AM »
I'd say make it a mercenary army. :icon_cool:

And welcome back to W-E! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 08:08:28 AM »
I would say you can give your troops multicoloured clothing, and still be able to combine them into a provincial army through their standard, maybe through their shields, and one uniform accent colour throughout the unit.

You can also paint individual troopers in certain province colours, and then just mix the troops together. Maybe that unit is a collection of troops from many depleted units, or maybe they are a collection of veterans in a multi-state army.

That said, the Empire has often employed mercenaries, especially during the interregnum/three emperors' period.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 07:29:02 PM »

That said, the Empire has often employed mercenaries, especially during the interregnum/three emperors' period.

-Z

Which region would mercenaries most likely come from? Or which region would most likley use mercenaries?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 07:52:20 PM »
Averland has some fluff that mentions Tilean crossbowmen and pikes.

However, with this being fantasy, there could be fluff written that incorporates various mercenary armies from various places, including from within The Empire.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 07:55:19 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 08:36:48 PM »
Nihil obstat. Fluffwise (and in accordance with the historical HRE) mercenaries were a common feature in Empire contingents, both Imperial and regional - if they had the money. These mercenaries could be from Tilea, or Marienburg, but also from various parts of the Empire itself. For instance, the Ostlander Captain Hauptleiter became famous as a mercenary leader in the eastern Empire and Kislev, and his unit, the Star of Victory, commanded the highest fees (Sigmar's Heirs p. 76).

In the HRE, a Regiment of Landsknechte was preferably recruited from the same region, but each individual had to provide for their own uniforms, which as a result were not "unform" at all. I should think the same applies to the Empire.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 08:55:17 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 10:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. That gives me some ideas.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 01:59:20 PM »
Fidelis summed it up nicely.

Here is some info on the troops in one civil war battle I found in The Empire at War. That book is by Matt Ralphs and is published in the Black Library, so might not be 'canon'. But it's nice nevertheless:

Stirland:
Stirlanders
Ostermarkers
Averlanders
Knights of Sigmar's Blood
Artillery

Talabecland:
Talabheim (city state)
Talabeclanders (regular and village militia)
Mercenary bands from all over the south and Border Princes (pikemen)
Flagellants
Freelancer knights
Templars of the White Wolf
High Priest of Ulric's bodyguard
Templars of Taal
The Order of the Black Rose

Talabecland's troops wore a red and yellow ribbon in a show of identity and unity.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 04:50:09 AM »
Personally; i paint every regiment in different colours. It might not work fluff or lore wise but it looks great

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 04:42:32 PM »
To expand a bit on the above: historically, uniforms as such were only introduced in the 17th century. Before, only troops and retinue of feudal lords and knights were clothed in the heraldic colours of their masters, and some city militia in the colours of their city.

In mercenary regiments, each individual was not bound by feudal allegiance but money, and  responsible for his own equipment, therefore free to choose his own personal colours. The Landsknechte did develop a certain specific exuberant fashion, which distinguished them from normal citizens and soldiers, but not from other Landsknecht forces.  Uniformity would cost extra money, which neither the Landsknecht nor those who hired them could/would afford - in particular since the Landsknechte - being mercenaries - might fight soon for someone else. There are a few (very few) exceptions, though, where the recruiter of the captain paid for uniform colours in the Landsknecht regiment.

The most frequent methods to distinguish friends from foe were the standards for units, and specific brassards or similar tokens for individual soldiers. 

So, to distinguish a Landsknecht unit from state forces, you could very well paint every soldier of that unit in a different colour.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 08:11:11 AM »
You are thinking of ZeroTwentyThree’s army.
I also painted my Marienburgers as multi-colour. However I ensure each model had only 2 ‘fun’ colours, and equipment was the same colour throughout the unit. Command models might have more colours though.

It looks really good as an army scheme, so have fun!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 07:43:07 PM »
Hi Grudgie,
I have been doing it this way since before 6th edition, so I manage to upset both historical gamers and Warhammer fanboys.
How I do it now is that certain units ie bodyguard / guard units are uniform whereas other rank and file also some veteran campaigning units are not.
In the historical source uniforms were not provided and people fought in their own clothes looting for better looking cloth and trying to look outrageous.
With the non uniform units I try to paint the bows in a single colour to show allegiance (field sign).
An interesting article by the Perrys on how to paint landsknechts suggested painting in batches of 10 with a limited pallet changing the variation of colours each 10 figures so when all mixed together they had a certain themed paint job .
GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 07:51:32 PM »
You are thinking of ZeroTwentyThree’s army.
I also painted my Marienburgers as multi-colour. However I ensure each model had only 2 ‘fun’ colours, and equipment was the same colour throughout the unit. Command models might have more colours though.

It looks really good as an army scheme, so have fun!

Cool. Do you have pictures of your army here?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 11:55:21 AM »
Last time I posted them here was on photobucket.

Will have to upload them to Imgur and link… maybe one day during the week if I remember and have time.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 03:19:06 PM »
I painted several regiments of Tilean militia and mercenaries in multi-coloured glory and I think (counter-intuitively) that it actually works as a theme and ties them together!

Here you can see some of them ...

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Grudgie

• Members
  • Teenneessee
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 05:15:22 PM »
Very nice Padre. Very cool.