home

Author Topic: The color of your bases?  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Marcus Leitdorf

• Members
The color of your bases?
« on: March 06, 2006, 04:21:17 AM »
Hey all,

In a recent post a painted mini was submitted for comment. I can't remember the post, but someone made the offhand comment that they should change the goblin green base to a different color. I took this to imply that goblin green was now "passe".  If this is the case, what colors are "in vogue".

What colors do you all paint your bases these days? I am somewhat intrigued by the basic black. :?
Faithfulness to our fathers, faithfulness to our sons. Marius shall be avenged!

Offline Griffen077

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 04:37:10 AM »
Well, depends on what army for me.  My Brets are on a goblin green, my Kislevs are on graveyard earth on the sides with white and snow on the top.  My VC are graveyard earth.

Offline Calimehter

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 05:30:51 AM »
Nothing wrong with green IMO, though it does look better if you break it up a bit with something else such as a base border or some rocks or snow.

http://groups.msn.com/WarhammerPictures/mngt2005.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=68

[/url]

Offline RGB

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 07:03:16 AM »
My empire's got the snow interspersed with black and green (er, the few that are based properly) - spring in Ostland. The Kislevites have largely brown-orange with a bit of white (autumn in Kislev)

So yah.
[in the good of life]

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 07:22:21 AM »
I have goblin green on my bases because that is what I started with. Today I would probably go with Olive green or graveyard but that is not a necessity. I use Vermin on my Mordheim Minis for some odd reason though...
My hood is my castle...

Offline Fairbane

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 08:56:17 AM »
I use black. I think the contrast looks better than trying to "disguise" the base sides by painting a flat green or brown colour.
"Oftentimes defeat is splendid, victory may still be shame.
Luck is good, the prize is pleasant, but the glory's in the game."

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
The color of your bases?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 09:10:39 AM »
That would have been my "new banner" thread, and another comment by Rufus that mysteriously vanished :roll:

Anyhoot, yes, my models are based on green bases with kitty-litter topping. I think of it as not so much "passé", but rather, "retro". Or something. It's my experience that bases look pretty good in whatever colour, as long as they are done neatly and consistently across the army.

However, I do think that, as my army is very bright (red and blue, with details in yellow and white), a darker base scheme may help to frame them better. Depending on how much time I have left after I model and paint the stuff I need for the GT, I may go back and repaint the base edges in Scorched Brown. May being the important bit :)
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline JohnHwangEmp

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:13:55 AM »
I like black-edged bases, as well.  They look more "professional".

Offline Benedictus

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 09:37:20 AM »
I, uh, use Goblin Green and flock the top. Um. I'm kind of old school like that.

That said, it looks kind of boring and ordinary at best, so my bases will eventually be reviewed.
Empire Army: Averland!

Bretonnian Army Blog: A Crusade into Mousillon

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 11:35:19 AM »
I too am a traditionalist (now there's a surprise :wink: )

However as I got my local DIY store to mix up the paint for my gaming table as close to Goblin Green as I could that makes for a very good reason too. My bases now 'disappear' when they are on MY table.
 :lol:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Lenny

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 12:42:08 PM »
Depends on the army.
Empire - Goblin Green edges. Sanded (Brown Ink) with patches of Static Grass.

Wood Elves - Goblin Green edges. Scorched Brown painted Forest Floor Scatter (my own development - includes a mix of herbs. It looks like a forest floor. Smells good too.) and small patches of Static Grass.

Dwarfs - Scorched Brown edges. Sanded (Brown Ink) with large areas of Snow Scatter.
I like stories.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
The color of your bases?
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 01:20:51 PM »
For my Empire, I paint the sides Dark Angels Green, and use static grass for the top, with some occasional pebbles or sand. I'm not the greatest at basing, but static grass on top looks better than most of my groups bases on the whole, so I'm happy.

For my VC's I use Scorched Brown on the sides and pebbles and debris on the top.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 02:09:40 PM »
All my armies are based the same, so when they face each other there is some form of uniformity.

Colours quoted are from the Miniature Paints range

I use dark earth for the base and use sand to texture.  

When dry I wash it with a mixture of PVA (white glue), water, and Dark Umber (an almost black shade of brown).  When that's dry it gets dry brushed with leather mixed with white and static grass added in patches.

I do like a dark earth edge though...!
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
The color of your bases?
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 02:32:17 PM »
I use Scorched Brown edges, nice, dark and blends in with everything.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
The color of your bases?
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 02:48:35 PM »
I use bestial brown edges, and some light green "railway" flock on top to give a contrast.  
Look much better than my old green with green style ones.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline PissedYeti

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 02:57:35 PM »
Goblin Green for my forces of good and Scorched Brown for the bad. Don't have any good reason other than I think it looks good.
Non Omnia Moriar

Offline bloodbawler

• Members
  • Baron of Wildenlack
The color of your bases?
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 04:59:24 PM »
I use goblin green, because I began with it ...
Heathens! I shall smite thee! Right after my lunch break.

Offline Shotzie

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 05:22:32 PM »
I paint all my bases camo green instead of goblin green, because otherwise my goblins and orcs would match their stands.   8)   So I never use camo green for anything except bases, I then flock the top of the stands so they don't look too boring.

I realise this is not the best, but it is quick and standardize my armies.  As I use ROR & Dogs of War, they fit in with whichever army I am using.

Shotzie

Offline wisenheimer

• Members
  • Michigan, USA
The color of your bases?
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 06:28:12 PM »
Black, graveyard, and green mostly. It really depends on army.

Offline Constantine

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 07:04:05 PM »
Black edges to the bases, with static grass and grey gravel, all with a brown ink wash.
Faith, Obedience, Zeal, Duty, Purity.
Scions of Myrmidia.

Death to the False Emperor.
6th Great Company, Emperor's Children.

Offline Frederick Ironstrom

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 07:29:46 PM »
Originally graveyard but going back to paint them darkangels green. I think making a feature of the edges rather that trying to hide them can work well.

The base itself is sanded and painted to a badlands theme.

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
The color of your bases?
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 07:36:11 PM »
Brown. With brown sand.

I like brown.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline Duellist

• Members
  • Bring back the location feature!
The color of your bases?
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
The (possibly too) common green base rims for me, with static grass (not flock - that really does look horrible) and a little rock or two and possibly some sand. Looks quite good and although rather it's cliched I like the rather regimented look as it is more realistic than some of the more strange bases out there.

The 40k army I'm just about to collect (tau btw) is going to have graveyard earth around the bases and alot more sand. Maybe it's because it's my second ever army and I want a change, or perhaps 40k looks better with that cool brown on the edges. I'm not sure, it might be a sit back and blast 'em 40k thing (as in IMO fantasy does look best on green).

Duellist
Duel until death does part you from this life!

Offline Melvin the Melvin

• Members
  • Purge the heretic, the gunline, the cheese-hero.
The color of your bases?
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 08:12:35 PM »
For my Empire and Sisters of Battle, Graveyard Earth, with light brown flock mixed with garden dirt and patches of static grass on top. This is pretty much the way 'Eavy Metal does it these days and I must admit I like it much better than the "classic" goblin green + flock.

For my Winter Wood Elves, I still haven't figured it out :?
Quote from: Warlord
We fight, and we win through strategy and determination. We are civilised, cosmopolitan, and wear cod-pieces.

Offline Tytus

• Members
The color of your bases?
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 10:36:03 PM »
Brown sides, and black burned out ground (its is War!) with some grass here and there.
Sigmar Ex Machina