home

Author Topic: The Official 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War Discussion Thread  (Read 4563 times)

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
While it's good to see the popularity of the 150 anniversary events there're too many people for my tastes.  For the 150th of 1st Manassas I went to Chancellorsville instead and drove around.  Not many there.  It was unbearably hot those days if I recall.  Actually hampered some of the reenactments at Manassas.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Apparently for Gettysburg the one in late June is suppose to be less commercially oriented, and I was originally considering that.  Yet in looking for hotels months back, I ended up ruling it out.  Not interested in what I've read regarding the one in early July, apparently quite the carnival atmosphere, and even last year's event bottles of water were being sold for $4 each.

Think I'll wait till this the season is past, when I can catch it again with less people around, like I usually do.  Been there many times, and it never gets old for me.  Its quite the speical place.  About the only thing comparable to me is visiting Independence Hall or maybe a National Park.  If you go to Independence Hall, know that its best to get there early before it opens so you can be part of the first tour or two.  Otherwise the lines tend to be way too long, and I get quite grumpy about lines.  But I digress.  In all my trips to Gettysburg, I continue to find new things to see, and enjoy going back to some of those I've already seen.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
There's definitely a lot to see at Gettysburg.  It's definitely the most commercial of all the parks I've been to.  I'd wager it probably is the most commercial of all of them anyhow.  So not really surprised to hear of a carnival type atmosphere.

not together.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
The re-enactments won't be occuring at the park.  My understanding is one of them is south of the park, the one in late June, and the other is north of the park, the one in July.  This seems appropriate so as to not mess up the park itself.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Most don't take part on the battlefields themselves.  The only one that I know of that they reenact on the field is Cedar Creek.

not together.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Good point.  I'm surprised to hear any of them do.

Regarding Cedar Creek, have you been, and if so, whats that re-enacment like?

If I recall correctly, wasn't that part of the Valley Campaign of 1864?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
I've never been.  It happens in October and I never seem to remember.

That was part of the 1864 campaign.  Jubal Early hit Sheridan pretty hard and Union forces were in full retreat.  Then Sheridan's famous ride to rally his troops took place and the Union rallied to win the day.

not together.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Yep vaguelly recall that now.

Sounds like it makes for a good re-enactment event, Confederates get to do battle a bit, but then Sheridan rides in to save the day.  Not tough for the typcial audience to enjoy a bit.

Offline Thomas Aagaard

• Members
  • "Victoria per Diciplin"
Hotels:
one option, is simply to take a chance.

Back in 1998 I traveled to the US (from Denmark) with my grandfather. And we quickly found a motel room in Gettysburg. (two days before the event started)
Offcause we might just have bin very very lucky since back then the event had 20.000+ reenactors and something like 80.000 spectators on day 3...

the fact that the use of online booking was not common back then properly also helped a lot since that made it a lot harder to actually book rooms and many of the smaller motels.
Thomas Aagaard
"Stirland Kampfgruppe Forwards!"
"Victoria per Diciplin"

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: The Official 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War Discussion Thread
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 02:57:34 AM »
My visit to the battlefield earlier this past July was quite the experience and enjoyed with a nephew that I took along for the ride.

But today is the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Addresss ... and I quote it in its entirety here ...

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Quite the speech. :::cheers:::

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »
My visit to the battlefield earlier this past July was quite the experience and enjoyed with a nephew that I took along for the ride.

Do they still have the giant lighted map room that shows all the troop movements as the Battle unfolded?
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »
Good question.  I'd seen that on more than one occassion as a youngster, many years ago, but not sure that its available to the public currently, although I've heard it still exists, yet thats just a rumor.  I'll check into it and see what I can come up with for you.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
I guess I was hoping that in the 30+ years since I toured Gettysburg that they upgraded the technology, rather than just colored lights on a scaled map.
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
Ah, well the light map seemed to be a good educational way of sharing what happened to those who might be unfamiliar with the general history of the fighting that took place there.  Already having studied the battle and making many visits to the site, I was able to give the nephew a decent enough of tour of the battlefield without needing much technology beyond the use of an automobile.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
Manassas has something like that, I actually really like it.  I don't remember seeing one at Gettysburg, but it's been a while since I've been there.

not together.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2013, 02:48:04 PM »
I remember a small theater in the round, the topographical map was centered below the seats.  They darkened the theatre and used colored lights to show the troop movements as the Battle was initiated and progressed.  It was a very cool tactical overview.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2013, 03:22:50 PM »
Interesting that Manassas has one.  The one at Gettysburg was rather large and was laid out on the floor.  People were seated around it and back in those days, if I recall correctly, there were 3 to 5 levels of seating where folks could sit and look down on the map with its lights.

Gettysburg also has the cyclorama, where there is a large painting of Pickett's Charge done in a circle on the wall all the way around those viewing it.  There's a presentation provided and at the time I last viewed it, again many years ago, certain sections of the painting would be lit upon in telling the story of the fighting.  I vaguely recall this, and probably would like to see it again someday. I'm told its in a newer building nowadays.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
It's only for 1st Manassas.  The coverage for the first battle is a lot better, overall, than the second, IMO.

not together.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2013, 07:55:12 PM »
Its been awhile since I've been to Manassas, yet I'm now vaguely recalling their light map.  It seemed a bit more modern than the one at Gettysburg.

And yes, the Manassas battlefield park does to seem to focus more on the 1st of the two battles which is ok to an extent, but one needs to be more familiar with the other battle before arriving if that's what one is interested in when visiting.  At some point I plan to visit that location with such in mind.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:34 PM »
There's a small 'visitor's center' on the edge of the park grounds dedicated to the 2nd battle, but it's not up to what the other one is.  But you're right, you have to know more on your own for the 2nd to do the trail.  Or, you can do a tour with a guide, which is fine, but it's not set up as public friendly.  The visitor center is on Henry Hill and the stone house and bridge are pretty close.  You can stay in the same general vicinity and get the meat of the first battle.  I think that makes it easier to present.  But also it being the first major battle.  Second Manassas was 'just' the battle between Seven Days and Antietam.

not together.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2013, 09:54:55 PM »
I was reading some interviews with a few historians the other day on the CWPT which was really interesting.  The two I noted were James McPherson and Paul Gallagher.  The other two escape me at this time.  All four stated that they thought the 150th coverage had been poor for the most part, for a variety of reasons.  The only two states that got any sort of praise were Virginia and Tennessee.

not together.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:03:04 AM by Karl Voss of Averland »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2013, 03:20:25 AM »
There's a small 'visitor's center' on the edge of the park grounds dedicated to the 2nd battle, but it's not up to what the other one is.  But you're right, you have to know more on your own for the 2nd to do the trail.  Or, you can do a tour with a guide, which is fine, but it's not set up as public friendly.  The visitor center is on Henry Hill and the stone house and bridge are pretty close.  You can stay in the same general vicinity and get the meat of the first battle.  I think that makes it easier to present.  But also it being the first major battle.  Second Manassas was 'just' the battle between Seven Days and Antietam.
Good to see the word just in quotes ... lol.  I'm most interested in seeing the Brawner Farm battlefield to the west of Manassas, and where the Iron Brigade met in battle the Stonewall Brigade, although the 2nd Battle of Manassas is also of interest to me.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2013, 03:23:35 AM »
I was reading some interviews with a few historians the other day on the CWPT which was really interesting.  The two I noted were James McPherson and Paul Gallagher.  The other two escape me at this time.  All four stated that they thought the 150th coverage had been poor for the most part, for a variety of reasons.  The only two states that got any sort of praise were Virginia and Tennessee.
Yep, not much coverage on this.  Most of what I've seen has been on PBS, although saw some coverage of Gettysburg on world news in early July.  Saw a show the other night on PBS about Lincoln and the Gettysburg address that was quite good.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2013, 03:27:31 AM »

Something hits home more when you see these people in color:

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazing-american-civil-war-photos-turned-into-glorious-color-2013-10
Yep, amazingly well done for what they are.  Thanks for the link! :::cheers:::