home

Author Topic: What is a good period to play 28mm historicals?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
What is a good period to play 28mm historicals?
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:50:50 AM »
What is your favorite period to play 28mm historicals?
I know there is quite a few people around here who play them but I want to get my group into historicals and I just kinda wanted to know what periods everyone here likes.
I know Renaissance will be popular being an empire forum but I'm looking more into modern stuff.
What is easy and what is fun? any ideas and experience is welcome  :-) I'm just brainstorming
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
Re: What is a good period to play 28mm historicals?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 07:21:54 AM »
What do you mean "more modern"?

In my experience due to army size gaming scale tends to get smaller (ie 6mm napoleonics)
WW2 in 20mm is popular and there are a lot of 28mm ww2 available

Personally I prefer medieval or classical period games
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
WW2 A lot of action there.

Check out Warlord Games, Rules of Engagement and many others...
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
Speaking very generally, Napoleonics are probably the most popular historical period, followed perhaps by WW II and Ancients.
If you want to stay within the 28/32 mm scale range - meaning Warhammer size figures - and believe in the 1 figure = 1 real guy rule, you're pretty much limited to skirmishes  or bar brawls no matter which period you choose.
Also depends upon location.
Most of the 'battles' of the American revolution, for example, only involved a few dozen or a few hundred people on either side.
Medieval European armies were in the hundreds or thousands, from Napoleon onwards we're talking tens of thousands or even more.
Personally, I can't subscribe to the 1 figure = 1 guy rule, a 'battle' between 60 Elves and 100 Goblins seems silly to me.
That's more like a gang fight.
So I mentally multiply them by whatever factor I need to give me the size battle I want.
Thusly, your Elf Hero becomes the Elf Hero and his bodyguard of 5, 10 or more.
Your 20 Elf Spearmen turn into 200, etc.

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
Rather ill-defined parameters you gave us there, Quickbeam.

Right now many perods are served by adequate ranges of cheap (less expensive than metal) plastic models, from ECW, WSS, Napoleonics, ACW, WW2, so really there are a lot of choices.

To me the choice first comes down to period interest, but in your case I think the scale you have chosen determines a lot of what kind of game you play.

Take 28mm WW2 for example. I can get an infantry skirmish game, but once you have a tank on the table the odds just tip too much, or the ground scale just goes out of whack.

In other horse and musket eras you kind of need big battalions for the visual effect, and along that comes cost and time of painting all those 24 or 48 men units. And when you have those hundreds of figures painted, you find your table too cramped for a meaningful game.

But the reality is, there are rules for 28mm historicals which are being published and played, like "Blackpowder" and "bolt Action", so obviously there are enough people who hold a different point of view from mine to keep these people in business.

Good luck in your search.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:12:09 PM »
If I were to take the dive into Historicals, it would be WWII or Wild West. Those have the most interest for me.

If you want to field lots of tanks in WWII, you probably want to play 15mm, other wise 1/72 or 25mm/28mm are probably a good choice.

Wild West is nice because you don't need a lot of figures for it, but you do need lots of western style buildings if you really want to invoke the feel of Wild West gaming.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »
This is an interesting question - but as arjunstc says you are being a bit vague.

I lost the Warhammer Fanatasy mojo a few years back and have been exploring and experimenting, and although you mentioned 'modern' after renaissance, I looked at that and found it unappealing.

First rule was that I stayed with 28mm, so there was ample opportunity for figures to be used in more than one way - so Vikings as Middenlanders for example, and secenery like hills and woods would be interchangeable.

Then I looked at periods.
Once you get past renaissance you are very much into muskets, and bayonets, and so Napoleonics seems pretty much all the same units on each side.

I think I decided that although I once liked big units of Empire troops, I did try to model them as individuals as much as possible, with each figure being a bit different even if they were all halberdiers.

However Napoleonics for example seems to be all about uniform uniforms - badum tish! :biggriin:
To me it is all pretty boring apart from one period which I have been looking at which follows on from what Delthos just said about the Wild West - I did get the Legends of the Old West book, and the follow ups - Blood on the plains, and the Alamo - and just recently I bought Muskets and Tomahawks and some French Indian Wars figures.
Both these settings allow games from small warband skirmish up to larger band/small army fights, and have lots of nice varied figures.

That's the area of interest of the last couple of months - before I mainly went back from the renaissance period.
I find the Late Roman / Dark Ages to be very interesting and again you can play smallish skirmish games of SAGA, or go to Warhammer Historical rules sets like 'Age of Arthur' or 'Shieldwall'  - lots of figures from lots of companies - and cheap too with Gripping Beast, Conquest Games, and Wargames Factory plastics.

Medieval periods through to War of the Roses are also quite interesting, mainly because of the Perry minis - they just make me want to have them. :engel: 

You probably need to make a group decision - either get other members to bring figures they may already have, or collect l;oads of pics and have a get together to see what rocks your communal boat.

The main point I would make is pick a period where you can play a variety of rules sets.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:08:40 PM »
I personally have a preference for the early Medieval period.
Especially the period of El Cid. Then the armies where also smaller, so it is easier to image your army being 1 figure = 1 soldier.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 08:49:36 AM »
Napoleonics seems pretty much all the same units on each side.

Philistine
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
I think 28mm WWII is only going to continue to grow - Flames of War doesn't quite scratch my WWII itch for various reasons. Bolt Action seems inexpensive and quick to play.

SAGA has a lot of promise too. The model count is low and the Gripping Beast/Wargames Factory/Conquest Games dark ages plastics are cheap enough that you could easily buy/paint 2-4 forces. Useful if your friends are cheap bastards like mine are.  :icon_mrgreen:

I'd really like 28mm Napoleonics to catch on, but I don't see it happening. Smaller scales seem pretty firmly entrenched in the Napoleonic wargaming community. That's not to say I won't ever be ordering those awesome Perry Brothers figures...

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
Napoleonics seems pretty much all the same units on each side.

Philistine

Oh sorry one side has green buttons, and furry cuffs, and the other has brown buttons and plain cuffs.    :biggriin:

Someone mentioned El Cid and I forgot that - loads of lovely arab/african minis from Artizan or Black Tree or Perry, and the Conquest Games Normans can be used for Spanish / Andalusians - just stick a little rope greenstuff round the helmets .................

...... and best of all .......Camels

:engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:34:13 PM »
Oh sorry one side has green buttons, and furry cuffs, and the other has brown buttons and plain cuffs.    :biggriin:

At risk of repeating myself, Philistine

Most of the armies are very distinct due to the army build and delivery.

At base level think British line Vs French collumn of attack, but that is just the tip of the national diversity

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »
I've seen Sharpe .......

They all have muskets/rifles mainly with bayonets on, and tunics with buttons and stiff collars ....................

........ though I suppose they do have some different shaped hats.

:engel:

However you have possibly opened up another discussion about ancients - the middle east ancients could be fun, lots of Philistines and such running around on chariots ...... 

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »
I've seen Sharpe .......

And he's got a lot to answer for (damn his eyes)

Offline Krudenwald

• Members
  • "Even Unto Death"
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 04:36:30 AM »
I've actually been looking to get into 28mm Napoleonic... is it fun?
No, I'm sending it to people I reckon I can trust. Or, at least, people I think I can murder should it become neccesary.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 07:28:05 AM »
I've actually been looking to get into 28mm Napoleonic... is it fun?

If you get the right rule set and scale for you, great fun....!

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 03:34:30 AM »
I'm thinking of ordering some Perry Brothers French and Prussian Napoleonic infantry. At about 75 cents a guy, I think I can afford to splurge a bit. It's too bad there's no teleportation technology - it'd be nice to get a 28mm Napoleonic league going with you guys. (I have one friend who will play with me, but he'll want to proxy his 30 Years' War Swedes as Frenchmen. )
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 06:06:06 PM »
Napoleonics don't really "float my boat", which is rather odd considering that the only gaming I do in that period is 1/2400 Napoleonic naval wargaming.

I recently got hold of Muskets & Tomahawks which is aimed at FIW and AWI but could aslo be used for the War of 1812. Napoleonic skirmish games in the new world sounds like fun.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 07:45:55 AM »
What is your favorite period to play 28mm historicals?
I know there is quite a few people around here who play them but I want to get my group into historicals and I just kinda wanted to know what periods everyone here likes.
I know Renaissance will be popular being an empire forum but I'm looking more into modern stuff.
What is easy and what is fun? any ideas and experience is welcome  :-) I'm just brainstorming
Midaski has the right idea when suggesting to find something your group as a whole is interested in doing.  This could include picking an era, as well as scale of battle being fought, before deciding on a rules set.  Also, what do you mean by "modern"?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 10:44:52 AM »
Is this a question about rules systems? What is defined 'fun' regarding rules systems?

Is this a question about figures? What is fun in figures?

Is this a question of period? What is fun in 'more modern' periods?

Is this a question of available gaming friends, i.e. of the popularity of certain eras compared to others? In this case, where are you located, have you checked the local scene?

Hard to know; impossible to answer the question.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.