home

Author Topic: Empire vs. Hordes of chaos  (Read 186587 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Empire vs. Hordes of chaos/ Outriders wip
« Reply #475 on: March 26, 2014, 06:54:32 PM »
really nice sir  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #476 on: March 26, 2014, 08:09:52 PM »
Thanks, Warhammer Weib, you are doing fine too. :wink:

the last cloak wip

not a fan of the freehand pistols on the other cloak/jacket...  but this!!!   :::cheers:::
Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #477 on: March 26, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
Thanx, guys. It's the premiere of my newest tool: the pin pen.

@Henerius: so the freehand pistols look that bad, huh? I don't like them that much either, I might go and rework tthe design, it should look more stylish and less cartoony.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:04:21 PM by DariusZero »
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #478 on: March 28, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »
Don't rework it on my account. It is brilliantly done, it's just not my taste so I am not a fan. That's all.

The brown jacket gives me a hint, a feeling .. like hussar or east european soldier jacket. The design and simplicity sends out it is functional, cut and tailored to last and protect its wearer.  The brown cape gives me the same feel about it. The jacket with backprint reminds me of modern jackets it looks very .. american and not in the sence of classy. Like a person wearing a jacket of a university he never went to or a wannabee that never was in the pistol corps but wants to look like one  at the most he looks like a civilian with a gun.... :closed-eyes:

Pistoliers, musketeers, swordsmen, halberdeers, pikemen, etc, are not identified by the print on their jackets... they are identified by their weapons.  The banner of a unit could keep the weapon that is the main tool of the unit.. but a jacket of a pistolier with pistols on it like that looks a bit awkward to me.  :icon_rolleyes:

As I said a matter of taste, nothing more.  :smile2:

Keep it coming Dariusz  :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline DariusZero

• Members
« Reply #479 on: March 29, 2014, 10:35:18 AM »
Well, you have certainly put more thought into it than I have myself. My hat off to you , sir. Those are all valid and well elaborated points that deserve to be considered with care.
Truth is, the cape with the emblem was created with only the intention to replace the absence of the banner and to give the unit some heraldry and colors. 
The crossed pistols are the most common symbol of the pistolkorps, as is depicted in the heraldry book, but like you said, the cape, which is meant only to protect and hide the soldier from the enemy's eyes, isn't the very likely place to put heraldry on.
For the  cape of the commander  I made some research first and like you  noticed with a keen eye, the design on the back was indeed influenced by the hystoric reference, namely the designs of the napoleonic uniforms, and that's why it looks more realistic and not wannabee at all. And you are correct in prefering the classy over the modern, which is also my first choice.
I will redesign the cape, probably erase the emblem and leave only the empire cross at the bottom. Thanks for the critics, it's been highly constructive. :::cheers:::
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #480 on: March 29, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
I gotta say, I really like the pistol design - don't get rid of it! As his signature says, don't listen to the evil Henerius! :)

I also think the coat design is fantastic, too - is that purely done with paint, or is the cape actually sculpted as a coat?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #481 on: March 30, 2014, 12:38:59 AM »
but truth is that Henerius is more than right

A banner of Infantry is 3 by 3 cm, banner of a knight unit is wrapped around the pole and is 6cm long? I don't see why a troop of pistoliers can't have a guidon??  :closed-eyes:  Game requirements is one thing, fun in doing is more then the one. 

The back of that jacket is? 1,5 by 1,5 cm or 1,5 by 2 cm?  You can give your pistolier troop a guidon and paint the crossed pistols on it and a troop number Dariusz  :::cheers::: :::cheers:::  and enjoy every moment of doing it  :biggriin: ... it's no banner it's a guidon  :ph34r: doesn't even count as one  :biggriin:

Troop with guidon

Troop with regimental banner.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:46:57 AM by Henerius »

Offline liuzheng

• Members
« Reply #482 on: March 30, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »
Great army. I love them all :eusa_clap:

Offline DariusZero

• Members
« Reply #483 on: April 02, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
Thanx, Liucheng  :::cheers:::

I gotta say, I really like the pistol design - don't get rid of it! As his signature says, don't listen to the evil Henerius! :)

I also think the coat design is fantastic, too - is that purely done with paint, or is the cape actually sculpted as a coat?

Hm, first I'll try to redesign the emblem to make it look more like a stylized decoration and less a picture, because Henerius does have  point here.
The coat design relies partly on the sculpted parts, but mostly it's been painted, but you would have to see it in person to realy distinguish one from another, that is, if you don't posess this certain set.

A banner of Infantry is 3 by 3 cm, banner of a knight unit is wrapped around the pole and is 6cm long? I don't see why a troop of pistoliers can't have a guidon??  :closed-eyes:  Game requirements is one thing, fun in doing is more then the one. 

If I wanted a banner I would give them one, since the rules are secondary to me, because I don't play anymore. But I wanted the unit to have the maxiumum of fighting figures, being only 5 strong. So I left out the musician and eventually the banner. I think banners and musiciands fit in larger than 5 units, fluff wise. 5 is a more a scout formation than anything else.  :wink:

But I have unit just like your own waiting on the shelf to be taken in hands. That one will have either a musician or a banner.

:::cheers:::

Offline DariusZero

• Members
« Reply #484 on: April 02, 2014, 12:25:09 PM »
I have almost finished work on the riders, minus minor corrections and that damn cloak, now I'm painting horses.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #485 on: April 02, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
that outrider looks fabulous, I may have to copy. steveb

Offline Eltrummor

• Members
« Reply #486 on: April 02, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »
Love the pistol-sword! And the outriders  :-D
The Empire does not take you seriously until you've sacked Nuln

Offline DariusZero

• Members
« Reply #487 on: April 07, 2014, 09:36:34 PM »
thanx.

Meanwhile, while horses are getting their final look, let's have a look at my attempt at the OSL technique. This is going to be the base for a very nasty alien monster( which I haven't finished yet)  and it depicts the wounded space marine, who has triggered the emergency beacon for the rescue mission( the green light).

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:22:16 PM by DariusZero »

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #488 on: April 08, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »
that outrider looks fabulous, I may have to copy. steveb

I second steveb.  Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
 :::cheers:::
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
Re: Empire vs. Hordes of chaos/ OSL intermezzo
« Reply #489 on: April 08, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »
Great OSL work, Darius! I love it!  :eusa_clap:

Offline DariusZero

• Members
Re: Empire vs. Hordes of chaos/ Front rank figurines compare to GW
« Reply #490 on: September 18, 2014, 11:13:44 AM »
Today the mailman made my day. The Front rank figurines, that I was wanting to have for so long,  are finally here. I intend to use them as greatswords. Here are some comparison pics with my GW figs.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:15:51 PM by DariusZero »

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
Re: Empire vs. Hordes of chaos/ Front rank figurines
« Reply #491 on: September 18, 2014, 12:58:35 PM »
They compare very favorably.  Just a bit smaller than GW but they will blend in perfectly.
Looking forward to seeing them finished!
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
« Reply #492 on: September 18, 2014, 05:18:28 PM »
I bought enough of them to make them full unit. With a couple of GW comand fings - 30,

Offline DariusZero

• Members
« Reply #493 on: September 20, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »
Long summer vacation have set me off the current painting project almost before I could finish it properly. So here's a pic of almost finished horses.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Empire vs. Hordes of chaos/ Finishing outrieders
« Reply #494 on: September 20, 2014, 06:51:45 PM »
wow those look great  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Empire vs. Hordes of chaos/ Finishing outriders
« Reply #495 on: September 21, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »
Love the dappled horses, that is so hard to do well. :eusa_clap:

Offline DariusZero

• Members
« Reply #496 on: September 21, 2014, 01:32:57 PM »
Love the dappled horses, that is so hard to do well. :eusa_clap:

Grey Shire dapple horses, to be more speciffic, because they are bigger than other empire horses.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
« Reply #497 on: September 24, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »
wip close ups

Nuln outriders on Shire ponies  :engel:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:05:03 PM by DariusZero »

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
Re: Empire vs. Hordes of chaos/ Nuln outriders finished
« Reply #498 on: September 24, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
awesome man ,

need a close up , cant quite make out detail
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
Re: Empire vs. Hordes of chaos/ Nuln outriders finished
« Reply #499 on: September 24, 2014, 12:36:16 PM »
Yeah, np, after I do some more painting, I jsut discovered I forgot to paint the horsehoes.