home

Author Topic: The "Super" Bowl (LIII)  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
The "Super" Bowl (LIII)
« on: February 04, 2019, 03:28:26 AM »
Congrats to the Patriots, but did anyone else watch and just not feel entertained? The game was pretty much a gridlock until the final few minutes, there were no stand out commercials let alone many  good ones, the halftime show was lackluster, and the internet is upset that they rickrolled a famous spongebob moment from a beloved episode where they played the super (bubble) bowl halftime show (song is sweet victory). I kind of felt like this super bowl wasn't very super.

It was just kind of meh.
 :closed-eyes:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The "Super" Bowl (LIII)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 12:15:24 PM »
For all the hype regarding the offenses prior to the game, it was the defenses that made the game what it was.

I didn't pay much attention to commercials, rarely do.  Half time show is never why I watch the game, and rap music isn't a favorite of mine nor the singer taking his shirt off which moves away and detracts from the music.  The sponge bob cartoon was actually kind of entertaining, I hadn't seen it before.

The game itself was enjoyable, despite the low scoring from both sides.  It was a close contest, full of defensive drama.  It could have gone either way at any given moment.  Scoring gives fans a reason to celebrate during such events, and there wasn't much, so some folks might be less gleeful as a result.  However, it was quite the hard fought game, and to see the defenses of both sides shut the offenses down as much as they did is quite commendable.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 01:18:41 PM »
worst super bowl ever
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 01:32:34 PM »
My Empire were too busy getting mowed down to worry about the sportsball game lol. First actual game with that army, think I need to learn a few more things about them before another fight

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »
In a way, it was sort of like a pitching duel in a world series game.  One side had 3 scores, another had 1, and the side with 3 won.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 03:06:33 AM »
Aren’t you just describing the experience most FIFA or EUFA watchers have?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »
Could be.

Some folks who watch the super bowl are looking for a game with more offensive action, and more scoring, and more release of their emotions, yet some with a deeper understanding of the game, there is something special in the way this contest was fought.  I can see how some might liken it to a soccer contest.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 11:34:38 AM »

In today's NFL, not really.  It would be equivalent of a boring 0-0 draw to most people.  Today's NFL scoring standards would be the equivalent to 4+ goals a game (usually by both sides).

I enjoyed the game for what it was, I find defensive matchups interesting.  It was made more interesting because of the stakes.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 12:17:29 PM »

not really. Last years superbowl was 41-33, featured 1000 yards of offense, an iconic trick play call, back and forth lead changes in 4th quarter.

this years was a snorefest where one of the QBs essentially choked.

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 01:16:39 PM »
See what I mean about some folks wanting more offensive action to release their emotions.  It's could be a primal thing for such contests of violence and competition.

Then there's those long drawn out displays of carefully moving parts, mentally challenging, and deep inner complexity.  Kind of like really intense long lasting sex, another primal force.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »
I can enjoy a low scoring game. But this was more about Goff playing badly than a great defensive match up.

Then you add in the controversies in the championship games and Patriots fatigue and the game was just meh.

Pass the machete.