home

Author Topic: What are some of your all-time favorite minis?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
What are some of your all-time favorite minis?
« on: June 22, 2021, 05:05:34 PM »
(I don't know if this has been done here yet - forgive me if so)

Can be from any gaming system, whether you ever bought or painted, that you think really captured what you wanted in a mini.

My top favorite is the Reaver Titan from the first version of Adeptus Titanicus, and this one in particular:

Same guy in an ad.

And who doesn't like the Chaos Dwarf Swivel Gun!?!?!?! Oh those crazy Chaos Dwarves!

And another with nice paint job and different head:

This guy really captured my imagination as a kid and while I like all GW titans to some degree, the first one with the powerfist has always been my favorite. Its a compact model too, not as big as the current Adeptus Titanicus version. The perfect size. I own about 5-6 of these.

I mentioned this in another thread and its what motivated me to start this one, but I have always loved the original Stone Trolls from WFB:

Awesome character and design. I don't own any though. Never played them. Have no idea if they are any good. But great, great models.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
Re: What are some of your all-time favorite minis?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 08:54:19 AM »
I don't know why but I've always held this guy in high esteem;

I can't quite put my finger on exactly why, but I think it's because he's a Captain with no frills, no ostentatious adornments or anything, kinda like he just gets on with stuff, and I like that.

I have him (in metal of course) and really look forward to when I eventually break out the paints and I finally get to see him in my Wissenland livery.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 10:47:25 AM »
This is a great idea for a thread. Its been done before, but a long time ago. As far as linking pictures, that might be a challenge for some.

Anyway, I have quite a few, so perhaps best to go range by range.

Empire
I have 4 metal models I bought specifically to keep metal as I live the sculpts so much.
6th edition warrior priest with double handed hammer (holding it about waist height)
5th edition Reiksguard foot in full plate with double handed sword
Mordhiem Nicodemus
Warhammer Quest Imperial Noble

I also really love the 5th edition greatswords.

Chaos
Bel’akor has always been one of my favourites.
Love the Shaggoth a lot

Wood Elves
The 6th ed spellsinger coming out of the leaves on both sides
The 6th ed noble with two handed sword

Other
The old 4th or 5th ed giant
Love those Stone Trolls too

Might be others, will have a think.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »
These 2 warrior priests, I mounted one in a home made altar and Grimgorn
And the steam tank. Pretty much hooked me to wfb. Just had Grimgorn now I can’t find it
And the lion chariot

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 11:59:20 AM »
Hadn't seen those Adeptus Titanicus models before, and they are so cool, and the painting is fantastic! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:

The Empire dude with the sword, if I recall, believe he was also made in metal, and never picked one up, but I agree. :::cheers:::

Warlord's mention of metal Empire ... there were so many neat looking sculpts, can't begin to name them all. :icon_mrgreen:

And Artoban's collection ... magnificent, I never did pick up one of those Luther Huss on horse, plus those high elfs being done in dark red and cream, before it was cool, excellent. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 02:18:49 PM »
The large Inquisitor models. They were incredible but an absolute nightmare to assemble

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 02:44:58 PM »
I don't know why but I've always held this guy in high esteem... I have him (in metal of course) and really look forward to when I eventually break out the paints and I finally get to see him in my Wissenland livery.

Yes that is a great character model. I was going to ask if it was ever made in metal. I wouldn't have any interest in a finecast one. I avoid those like the plague.

6th edition warrior priest with double handed hammer (holding it about waist height)

Yes

These 2 warrior priests, I mounted one in a home made altar and Grimgorn

Yes. I agree on the warrior priests but own none. I use up the hero slots for other characters so haven't tracked any of them down, but I will agree they are great models.

Btw, I recently found this: http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17494

At the bottom of the page are some amazing looking Bretonnian knights on foot. I particularly like these guys:

I feel like I have all the Bretonnian stuff I want, but had I gotten into WFB sooner, I would have invested in a unit of these guys. I guess they could be used as Man at Arms too. Not sure what version these guys were released during. It does seem like early Bretonnians and late Bretonnians are better than the guys that appeared in the middle.

Gamespot, you might be surprised to know that a lot of 40k vehicles, knights, and titans first appeared in Epic before they were made in 40k.

Original Shadowsword:

This was a beast in the game back then, being armed with a defense laser which was pretty much the most powerful titan gun in the game. On a big table in that scale you could literally hit targets like 72cm away. It was glorious. But the Baneblade, Leman Russ, etc, all first appeared in the AT/SM1 era. Basilisk, Manticore, and so on. Lots of amazing Ork Battlewagons too.

Ork Bonecruncha:

was actually my first metal Ork model for Epic, and still love it to this day.

Oh wow, forgot this guy:

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Capitol_Imperialis

They were close to $40 (I think) when I was a kid, so that pretty much ruled out owning one. I dreamed for years of getting one, and typically they run $100 each on ebay today. I now own 4 lol.  :roll:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:06:48 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 02:52:00 PM »
I always liked this version of Marneus Calgar over the current and previous:

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 04:44:43 PM »
I do love these kind of threads, but its so hard. There's just so many choices!

One of my top picks is probably King Alrik. One of the first models I ever got, and as a gift from my parents. Only took nearly 20 years to muster up the courage to paint him. (Picture is not mine alas.)

All the Empire Warrior priests were fantastic, but I particularly liked these two.

and this guy with it resting on his shoulder.

Some of the little diorama models were also neat.

Favorite kit has always been the Empire Militia. The greatest strength of warhammer has always been how you can customize and make your own really unique guys, and to me nothing holds a candle to the militias ability to do that.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 04:52:42 PM »
I don't know why but I've always held this guy in high esteem... I have him (in metal of course) and really look forward to when I eventually break out the paints and I finally get to see him in my Wissenland livery.

Yes that is a great character model. I was going to ask if it was ever made in metal. I wouldn't have any interest in a finecast one. I avoid those like the plague.

Oh yeah he was one of those that was in production around the crossover so he definitely exists as a metal mini. The one I have is metal as I too avoid Finecast as much as possible, the only Finecast I have is the stuff that was never produced in anything else! This was just the best pic I could find that wasn't somebody else's work!

I have to say I have a lot of love for the 6th ed(?) metal High Elf characters too.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 09:47:31 AM »
I think my favourite of all time is the Wood elf lord with great weapon.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 07:45:39 AM »
I have most of those elves [part of the huge lot i scored at the 2018 swapmeet] problem is the previous owner tried to assemble them with aroldyte

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 04:40:36 PM »
So while I have trashed the older GW WFB models for quite some time, I've recently been taking a second look at many, especially after buying all the metal models to replace their card counterparts in the 4th edition starter, and I have to admit, some of these are really great models.

Come to find that Aly and Trish Morrison did some great work early on, I am guessing around 3rd edition?

I read this interview:

https://johnwombat.wordpress.com/2020/03/13/trish-carden-miniatures-and-designs-part-1/
https://johnwombat.wordpress.com/2020/03/28/trish-carden-miniatures-and-designs-part-2/

and its made me appreciate the old days even more. Maybe I have been looking at the new stuff for too long I don't know. I do think much of the newer plastic stuff is superior, but the older metal stuff really has a lot of character. I think maybe what hurt my impression of the early days were the plastics.

I was never a fan or large models like dragons and so forth, but after buying the high elf griffon, bretonnian hippogriff, and orc wyvern, I am really impressed by them. Cartoony, yes, but fun. I am really looking forward to painting them.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 09:12:11 AM »
I wonder if 'Turtle man' likes pizza?

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 11:00:05 AM »
So while I have trashed the older GW WFB models for quite some time, I've recently been taking a second look at many, especially after buying all the metal models to replace their card counterparts in the 4th edition starter, and I have to admit, some of these are really great models.

I used to feel the same way when I started my Empire army. I drew the line at a certain point and was never interested in getting the early metal soldiers, archers, halberdiers, artillery crews etc. as I always thought they looked inferior compared to the newer metals such as the greatswords, and the better plastic soldiers and artillery etc. but I have to admit that I too have come around to them. They really are quite nice minis and I've started to add them to my collection.

Admittedly some of that new found appreciation of the old minis has come about from seeing people's work on this very forum! A mini that looks old and janky when it's unpainted suddenly comes to life when they've got some colour on them and they fit just as nicely with the new as they do with the old.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 11:30:36 AM »
I feel the opposite about archers and artillery crews. I hated the plastics, and I actually went back and mail ordered metal archers and artillery crews when I built my armies.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 12:38:27 PM »
Am I allowed to say in this forum that I also really liked the later ed. Krell?...

Does anybody know for certain if he was ever made in metal? I have been on the lookout for him for some time but only ever seem to find Finecast yet I swear I have seen a picture of him in bare white metal before?

I thought he came out around the crossover period?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 01:11:26 PM »
Too hard to choose, so here are "some" of my all-time favourite minis that I've painted over the past years. All of these minis made it directly past my painting queue when I got them. Guess that's a good indicator of how much I favour them. :)

The footfolk of the 6th starter box: Orcs & Empire. Lots of nostalgia here, as this box was what started my Empire hobby for real. But they are some damn well sculpted oneposers, and being plastic, can be converted relatively easily. These guys are actually from my new Empire army - I returned to paint the minis from the starter box a year or so ago. :)

Ral Partha Trolls. Full of oldschool Troll character, with that nice touch of civilization and intelligence. Ral Partha still makes these, and there are many more poses. Might have to collect them all one day.

Bear's Head miniature's bears. One of my favourite sculptors, and these are so full of character. I love well-sculpted animal minis in general. (There are a couple of Reaper bears in the middle, they're nice too.)

7th ed Battle for Skull Pass trolls. The basic sculpt (not shown here) is full of character, and them being plastic allows easy conversions. Got a dozen of these, most still waiting for greenstuff.

No list would be complete without 4th ed metal Empire minis. I love artillery crews, so picked these to show. (The artillery piece is self-built, but echoes the Dogs of War cannon, which is my favourite cannon by Citadel.) Oh, and there is modified Empire Militia guy here too. What a great box for characterful conversions!

A Reaper Monk and three Westfalia pieces. The monk might be my all-time favourite Reaper model, and I just love the detail & character on those Westfalia humans & halflings. Westfalia is easily one of my top miniature companies.

Old Citadel Middle-Earth Frodo from the mid-80's. Robust but full of character. Love pack animals too, could list several old Citadel & other ponies, horses, mules and donkeys here.

I'll join in the praise for the 6th ed Empire Warrior Priests. I actually have & love all of them, but only had this one (modified) photographed.

This old Citadel Wizard, especially when riding that Reaper Wolf, is one of the coolest oldies, regarding how flat and one-dimensional he actually is.

The last one is an Epic greater daemon of Nurgle. One of my very first metal miniatures. I see this more as a Nurgling than a mini greater daemon.

-Z
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 01:19:39 PM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 02:37:01 PM »
Admittedly some of that new found appreciation of the old minis has come about from seeing people's work on this very forum! A mini that looks old and janky when it's unpainted suddenly comes to life when they've got some colour on them and they fit just as nicely with the new as they do with the old.

I agree, it has to have had an influence on me too. Especially crews to war machines.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 02:38:04 PM »
Am I allowed to say in this forum that I also really liked the later ed. Krell?...

Does anybody know for certain if he was ever made in metal? I have been on the lookout for him for some time but only ever seem to find Finecast yet I swear I have seen a picture of him in bare white metal before?

I thought he came out around the crossover period?

Yeah this guy is badass. I would only want him in metal too.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 02:39:22 PM »
Too hard to choose, so here are "some" of my all-time favourite minis that I've painted over the past years. All of these minis made it directly past my painting queue when I got them. Guess that's a good indicator of how much I favour them. :)

The footfolk of the 6th starter box: Orcs & Empire. Lots of nostalgia here, as this box was what started my Empire hobby for real. But they are some damn well sculpted oneposers, and being plastic, can be converted relatively easily. These guys are actually from my new Empire army - I returned to paint the minis from the starter box a year or so ago. :)

Ral Partha Trolls. Full of oldschool Troll character, with that nice touch of civilization and intelligence. Ral Partha still makes these, and there are many more poses. Might have to collect them all one day.

Bear's Head miniature's bears. One of my favourite sculptors, and these are so full of character. I love well-sculpted animal minis in general. (There are a couple of Reaper bears in the middle, they're nice too.)

7th ed Battle for Skull Pass trolls. The basic sculpt (not shown here) is full of character, and them being plastic allows easy conversions. Got a dozen of these, most still waiting for greenstuff.

No list would be complete without 4th ed metal Empire minis. I love artillery crews, so picked these to show. (The artillery piece is self-built, but echoes the Dogs of War cannon, which is my favourite cannon by Citadel.) Oh, and there is modified Empire Militia guy here too. What a great box for characterful conversions!

A Reaper Monk and three Westfalia pieces. The monk might be my all-time favourite Reaper model, and I just love the detail & character on those Westfalia humans & halflings. Westfalia is easily one of my top miniature companies.

Old Citadel Middle-Earth Frodo from the mid-80's. Robust but full of character. Love pack animals too, could list several old Citadel & other ponies, horses, mules and donkeys here.

I'll join in the praise for the 6th ed Empire Warrior Priests. I actually have & love all of them, but only had this one (modified) photographed.

This old Citadel Wizard, especially when riding that Reaper Wolf, is one of the coolest oldies, regarding how flat and one-dimensional he actually is.

The last one is an Epic greater daemon of Nurgle. One of my very first metal miniatures. I see this more as a Nurgling than a mini greater daemon.

-Z

Holy crap! These are awesome! Especially the custom 7th ed trolls. I love the original, so its great to see these conversions.