home

Author Topic: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2018 ...  (Read 70963 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2018 ...
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2018, 08:53:25 AM »
I s'pose it's ok. Not sure why I made all that effort to leave black lines on the bronze layer, only to have them all completely disappear under the wash.

Definitely looks oxidised, but whether it is a better look than the bronze I do not know. I won't be repainting though! Got to get ready for the battle next weekend, must keep going fast!!!

Except now I am off for a pint!

I don't know how it works on enamel paints you use, but GW has a technical paint just for this kind of stuff Nihilakh Oxide
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
I doubt it would work, StealthKnightSteg. I have successfully put enamel onto acrylic undercoats, but any kind of acrylic wash into enamels just turns into little drops of paint rolling about!

The gun is done, for better or worse. If I ever re-do it, I think I would go back to the original bronze version shown above!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2018, 07:33:40 PM »
I like the gun, it works verry well even if it buried your earlier hard work  :icon_wink: I would blacken the barrel interior and muzzle and perhaps restore a little bronze colour where there might be wear - the Tsar Cannon probably wouldn't look like that if it was in regular use.

Having completed my Vampire, going to add Two Big Wraith Guys to my target list for July

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2018, 09:40:37 PM »
Took your advice, Shadey, and I like it a bit more now. Thanks!

I'm working on steps and a crane so that the dwarfs can load it. Not works of art, but practical.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2018, 10:11:36 PM »
Those finishing touches were the cats meow Padre! What a beautiful piece.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2018, 10:55:06 PM »
Wow! You absolutely nailed that!!  :::cheers:::

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2018, 12:19:44 AM »
Those finishing bronze touches are what it needed. Very nice.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »
Thanks. I would not have thought of it myself, even if it seems obvious now!

I was, however, thinking about other things, like being worried that my little fellers couldn't possibly load it. Well, courtesy of some steps, a long linstock and a handy crane, they can now!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2018, 04:49:05 PM »
That looks fantastic!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2018, 05:50:09 PM »
Excellent! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #185 on: July 10, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »
... and just when you thought it couldn't get better, another Padre masterpiece is complete!  :smile2:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2018, 09:56:38 PM »
Thanks Guys. I get to see it in use on Saturday (as usual I am GMing, that way my campaign players get to play!)

I've completed several other of my goals (all needed for the game on Saturday, and some for the prequel stories) ...

Bret light cannon and crew

Ruined version of the GW castle wall, a ruined version of the GW castle tower

3 mounted Bretonnian characters

One of these is a very old 1980's figure, the banner and some other bits repainted to serve the Baron Garoy.

The baron doesn't ride into battle garbed and equipped as above. Here you can see the baron on his Rouncey (for riding about) and next to him is ... erm .... himself, wearing full battle armour and upon his destrier.

Re-painting some men at arms and archers from red and yellow to mostly green and yellow (their new livery)

My dwarf army didn't need repairing, so scratch that item.

Still on my list:  10 Black Knight skelly riders (only part built atm), 16 marching pikemen, 24 Estalian Swordsmen

Although the marching militia pike are almost done, just need bases and their pikes sticking on (I need superglue)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2018, 10:55:28 PM »
You are a painting machine! I agree with the previous comments, the hint of bronze showing through really works for the cannon.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2018, 11:30:35 PM »
Just awesome. The Bret war machine crew are some of my favorite models of all time. I also love the two versions of the Baron.

I managed to get motivated and spent most of the day painting. I just have to wash and finish the bases once they dry a bit more, but otherwise 5 Hellblasters, A Primaris Captain and a Dwarf Ranger are in the bag! Suck it July! I got painting done!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2018, 07:24:15 AM »

I've got this cannon, and I don't quite know what to do with it. Looks like painting it would be a good solution to such a dilemma...!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:54 AM »
... I've got this cannon, and I don't quite know what to do with it. Looks like painting it would be a good solution to such a dilemma...! -Z

Will you go bronze or iron? If the former, Oxidized or not?

PS: Once you've painted yours we could ally and destroy any castles we like in the old world!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
Fantastic Padre!
I’m not setting any goals this month. I’ve lost my drive completely which happens now and again. Just waiting for inspiration again. Not going to force it.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2018, 12:51:10 PM »
Padre's got a good bit going on this month! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Updating Tally for July ...

Shadespyre ... convert and paint one more Vampire Lady.
JAK ... complete at least 6 City Watch characters.
023 ... finish remaining 16 halberdiers, and the "surprise" unit.
Padre ... 10 Black Knight skelly riders (only part built atm), 16 marching pikemen, 24 Estalian Swordsmen, 3 mounted Bretonnian characters, a ruined version of the GW castle wall, a ruined version of the GW castle tower, a Bret light cannon and crew, and re-painting some men at arms and archers from red and yellow to mostly green and yellow, huge dwarf cannon with crew & equipment, repair my old dwarf army - get it pretty again.
GP ... finish 6 mounted 28mm crossbowmen.
Gankom... 5 Hellblasters. Get motivated for special project.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2018, 10:18:54 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »
Militia pike done, apart from basing.

I wanted them to be (a) background for one of the campaign stories, and (b) tabletop useful as an expansion of my existing 35 strong unit. But it turns out they don't look at all right as extra ranks for my existing militia pike. Of course, I should have checked first!

I bought only these 16 mainly because that's all the shop had, and I loved the figures. The shopkeeper says he cannot re-order these particular models as they are now web only, so I have now ordered another 16 in order to make these guys into an actual tabletop regiment instead of half of one. (Pointless having half a unit.) I have the command figures already, painted in Compagnia del Sole colours, but I can repaint those easily enough.

I reckon what I now need to make this militia force into a properly viable army is a lot more crossbowmen. I will scour the 'net for possibilities.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:15:18 AM by Padre »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2018, 10:02:03 AM »
Half way through the month and Padre continues full speed ahead.

Shadespyre ... convert and paint one more Vampire Lady.
023 ... finish remaining 16 halberdiers, and the "surprise" unit.
Padre ... 10 Black Knight skelly riders (only part built atm), 16 marching pikemen, 24 Estalian Swordsmen, 3 mounted Bretonnian characters, a ruined version of the GW castle wall, a ruined version of the GW castle tower, a Bret light cannon and crew, and re-painting some men at arms and archers from red and yellow to mostly green and yellow, huge dwarf cannon with crew & equipment, repair my old dwarf army - get it pretty again.

(completed items bolded)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »
Finished my surprise unit, pics & link on my plog thread.  :mrgreen:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »
Quickly finished off this (unscheduled) snowy Frostgrave casualty / treasure / objective marker

And also the two wraiths I'd been working on

Found a few random part-painted models kicking around, gonna put those on my desk in case I get the urge to finish them.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
Awesome wraiths! What manufacturer?

Half way through the month and Padre continues full speed ahead.

023 ... finish remaining 16 halberdiers, and the "surprise" unit of half-orcs scouts.

I mentioned it, but didn't post the pic directly in this thread because I didn't know if that would be spamming the forum since I had already posted in my own thread. But here they are...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2018, 11:16:18 PM »
No problem, I just hadn't gotten to it, I'm good if a picture gets posted here, too.

Shadespyre ... convert and paint one more Vampire Lady, snowy Frostgrave casualty/treasure/objective marker, 2 wraiths.
023 ... finish remaining 16 halberdiers, "surprise" unit of half-orc scouts.

(completed items bolded)