home

Author Topic: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2018 ...  (Read 71885 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2018 ...
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »
023 - The wraiths are from Mierce Miniatures Darklands range - they are very pricey but I go these in a half price sale, which made them seem reasonable!

http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=cat&cre=dkl-jut&sou=cat

GP - I also completed my Vampire, she's the one sat on the big skeletal dragon

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2018, 08:06:08 PM »
I wanted the 16 pike more for pictures than the field of battle, and presumed they could bolster the ranks of my existing militia pike. But they look wrong side by side due to their differing postures and very different pikes. So I thought I might was well go the whole way and turn them into a full regiment. Oh, and do some more militia crossbowmen while I am at it.

Now there are 12 Tilean crossbow and 22 more pike to do.

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »
Good stuff everyone! I've finished my hellblasters, and actually might get a bit more done this month.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #203 on: July 22, 2018, 11:21:50 PM »
Congrats gentlemen! :::cheers:::

Updating Tally for July ...

Shadespyre ... convert and paint one more Vampire Lady, snowy Frostgrave casualty/treasure/objective marker, 2 wraiths.
JAK ... complete at least 6 City Watch characters.
023 ... finish remaining 16 halberdiers, "surprise" unit of half-orc scouts.
Padre ... 10 Black Knight skelly riders (only part built atm), 16 marching pikemen, 24 Estalian Swordsmen, 3 mounted Bretonnian characters, a ruined version of the GW castle wall, a ruined version of the GW castle tower, a Bret light cannon and crew, and re-painting some men at arms and archers from red and yellow to mostly green and yellow, huge dwarf cannon with crew & equipment, repair my old dwarf army - get it pretty again.
GP ... finish 6 mounted 28mm crossbowmen.
Gankom... 5 Hellblasters. Get motivated for special project.

(completed items bolded)
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2018, 12:08:00 AM »
023 - The wraiths are from Mierce Miniatures Darklands range - they are very pricey but I go these in a half price sale, which made them seem reasonable!

http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=cat&cre=dkl-jut&sou=cat

Wow, I knew Mierce was expensive but... :Ohmy:

I'm still (impatiently) waiting for Hassle-free/Artemis to rerelease the Red Box wraiths.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2018, 10:41:06 PM »
Woo went on a bit of a painting binge over the past few days and got a bunch done. I'll be uploading pictures soonish on my respective plogs here: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=51235.msg1033980  and here: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,51332.msg971723.html#msg971723

Overall I got a good mix of 40k and fantasy done. For fantasy I got a necromancer, great axe militia and Priest of Ulric. Plus a fair bit done on two giants. For 40k I completed my final five deathwatch marines, plus a Raven guard and Iron Hands marine! And finally I painted up a text model of an Eldar warlock to try out my possible color scheme.

Shadespyre ... convert and paint one more Vampire Lady, snowy Frostgrave casualty/treasure/objective marker, 2 wraiths.
Padre ... 10 Black Knight skelly riders (only part built atm), 16 marching pikemen, 24 Estalian Swordsmen, 3 mounted Bretonnian characters, a ruined version of the GW castle wall, a ruined version of the GW castle tower, a Bret light cannon and crew, and re-painting some men at arms and archers from red and yellow to mostly green and yellow, huge dwarf cannon with crew & equipment, repair my old dwarf army - get it pretty again.
Gankom... 5 Hellblasters. 5 death watch marines. 2 tactical marines. Necromancer, priest of Ulric, great axe militia & Eldar Warlock.. Get motivated for special project.

(completed items bolded)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »
I'm done with the halberdiers, so last months goal is done in two months. 32 human halberdiers, 10 half-orc scouts.

Maybe catching up on painting all of my unfinished banners should be my next goal? Will have to think about that...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #207 on: July 28, 2018, 06:22:19 PM »
I haven't painted in months. :icon_sad:

Gankom... 5 Hellblasters. 5 death watch marines. 2 tactical marines. Necromancer, priest of Ulric, great axe militia & Eldar Warlock.. Get motivated for special project.

(completed items bolded)

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #208 on: July 29, 2018, 06:31:08 PM »
Target completed for this month – target for next month is the same - complete at least 6 City Watch characters.

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #209 on: July 29, 2018, 07:50:39 PM »
ZeroTwentythree your halberdiers are awesome. I love how the purple looks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:53:55 PM by lt dougheim »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2018, 10:27:35 PM »
Thank you.

For August my goal is to paint a long overdue HE lion chariot and Phoenix that I owe someone, and if I have time the three half-orc minis I recently bought.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2018, 11:07:09 PM »
I've said it before in your main plog but I'm also a huge fan of your purple. It looks so good, and looks so realistic to me. Like a kind of purple that would actually show up on the cloth of fairly regular troopers instead of nobility.

I've completed all my goals and more. After my last update all I had left to do was my *Special Project*. I not only got motivated, I've got it half done! I'm also giving myself a due date of this Saturday to finish it totally, so it's going to be a motivated week for me.

Huzzah to a full month done for once!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2018, 12:25:36 AM »
Thank you.

For August my goal is to paint a long overdue HE lion chariot and Phoenix that I owe someone, and if I have time the three half-orc minis I recently bought.

Looking forward to the HE chariot. I have 2 of them and always loved that model however I’ve never seen any outside mine and gw’s. Never understood why. Never achieved the full ability of 24 hits between the 2 of them but always tried.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »
Me still no painting.  August will get the same goal, although I'll be spending a lot of time studying for an exam, so we'll see.

Looks like it has been a pretty good month for folks, congrats! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Final Tally for July ...

Gankom ... 5 Hellblasters. 5 death watch marines. 2 tactical marines. Necromancer, priest of Ulric, great axe militia & Eldar Warlock. Get motivated for special project.

(completed items bolded)

Start of Tally for August ...

JAK ... complete at least 6 more City Watch characters.
023 ... HE lion chariot and Phoenix, three half-orc minis.
Gankom ... finish special project.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2018, 02:08:10 PM »
I dare not to make plans about what I get painted, but sometimes I finish things. To encourage everyone, here are some non-Empire guys.

Modified Battle for Skull Pass trolls.

Isn't this troll almost... intelligent?

Dwarfs from around 2000. Clumsy sculpts, fun to paint.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2018, 04:25:56 PM »
My goals for August:

22 more Tilean militia pikemen & 12 militia crossbowmen, 10 skelly horse
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #216 on: August 09, 2018, 09:07:40 PM »
I love those trolls. Plus the beard hair on the dwarves looks great.

I finished my special surprise, but alas I didn't have time to take any pictures. I can talk about it a bit at least, but it's not quite the same.

I had a family get together on Saturday and had some plans for it. At a previous family get together around December, my cousin was telling me about the time him and his son had tried to get into Warhammer and we got talking about it. I knew they'd gotten into it at one point, I was the one who introduced them to it, and knew they stopped but figured they'd just grown out of it. He was telling me that what really put them off was the first, and last time, they tried to go to a store to play. His son would have been about 14 or 15 at the time, probably like ten years ago, and neither one of them really knew how to play. They figured they could meet some new people, get involved in the community, and learn to play.

It... didn't go well. People were rude, his son was told they didn't want any kids there playing and ruining the atmosphere for the rest of them, and no one wanted to waste time playing with new people. I don't know about some of you guys, but I've met jerks like that at the club before. Usually there are far more nice people, but dealing with the jerks can put a real bad taste in your mouth. For my cousin it pretty much killed his interest.

I didn't want that to be his last memory of warhammer, so for Saturday I wanted to get a special project ready. I converted and painted up a small squad of the new space marine guys. One each for him, his two new sons and his older son. Just as a bit of a show piece. When I gave them to him and his sons I let him know that if he ever wanted to learn to play or paint or whatever, he should come on over to my place and I'd show him all about it. Not only that, but the new edition was a fantastic and simpler way to learn it.

My cousin and his brother (Both a bit older then me) were thrilled and thought the models were fantastic. Their wives were somewhat less impressed, and the two young boys mostly wanted to talk about fortnite. Still, I had a blast doing it and I bet sooner or later it means there will be a family battle in the future.

My plan may or may not have been inspired by the pleasant surprise exchange, which really is one of the best things I've ever seen on the internet.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2018, 09:35:03 PM »
Too bad about that experience. I knew nothing at all about the game and my son was 12 (now 25). The store reps were so awesome we were hooked. I was told to come in Tuesday’s and the fantasy crowd would be playing. They just dragged me in and explained as I went. So I was there Tuesday’s - fantasy , Thursday’s - 40k, Saturday’s - either. Then the gamesdays in Toronto and the tourneys in London, Waterloo, Toronto, north bay, Montreal - rince and repeat for 5-6 years. My son liked to collect and played with his friends at home so I did the board and terrain thing. Totally awesome time all round. I had that bad experience with the magic card game and did not really like the crowd. Always avoided the bad eggs.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2018, 09:41:30 PM »
I had a couple of bad experiences myself when I was 11 or 12 and trying to play in a store, but generally it was pretty infrequent compared to the great people. I can remember so many people pitching in to show rules, or just have a game or talk or whatever. It's like any other club, there's always some jerks sooner or later. It's just a shame when those jerks are your first experience.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2018, 01:15:58 PM »
Some competitive players can be a problem at times. Or people who only want to play "their" game. In general, my own experience of learning games and gathering to play games at stores/clubs is super positive. No-one has been rude, although not everyone is a good teacher.

If there are these negative vibes in a store, you can ask the shop keeper if s/he wants to do something about it. I guess the shopkeeper always wants to welcome new people = potential new customers.

It can be different at clubs. But seclusive clubs probably do not invite newbies in the first place.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #220 on: August 14, 2018, 12:23:10 PM »
I keep forgetting to say what I plan to do before I do it... I've nearly finished an ENORMOUS thingy, and now I have to work out how to photograph it. And then you can see what it is!

My August goal - Paint and photograph an ENORMOUS thingy  :icon_eek:

EDIT: This is a nightmare to try and get pictures of...

I'm going to have to come up with a better, larger photography set up for this!

For those that don't know, this is Kaladrax from Reaper Miniatures. That base is 24 cm square...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:25:16 PM by Shadespyre »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #221 on: August 14, 2018, 11:36:35 PM »
Amazing. We need a little Sir Forescale in there to give us a sense of scale.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2018, 12:05:40 AM »
Amazing. We need a little Sir Forescale in there to give us a sense of scale.

its YUGE!!!!
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2018, 11:52:26 AM »
Ah yes, good old Sir Forescale, good point.

I'm going to try to set up a larger space to get some better photos, and I'll get some with some other models for scale.

EDIT: Somewhat better picture, and now with a Scale-eton in the foreground (sorry)

Yes, it *is* YUGE!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:23:59 PM by Shadespyre »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2018, 06:32:56 PM »
That's horrifyingly big. I feel true pity for whatever band of plucky adventurers goes up against that thing.