home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 87490 times)

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
Never read the comics, but to be honest I'm liking the show less and less with every season. I get that the horrors of a zombie-filled world are slowly being replaced with the hazards of a lawless post-apocalyptic world and the breakdown of civilization. After seven s3asons ig would've gotten stale otherwise. I'm just saying it could've been handled much, much better than TWD is handling it.
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
Just binge watched 'Still Game' on Netflix but am missing the 2016 episodes they restarted this year after 8 years. Totally love this show and wish their were more. Might try Rab Nesbit next.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2016, 09:37:46 PM »
For the last two days I've been assaulted by the new "Walking Dead" so much, that I'll probably start watching the damn thing.

I haven't seen season six yet, but the first five are definitely worth watching. It's by no means perfect, but very well done in many ways, especially the character development. It's also very American.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2016, 10:41:51 PM »
He means guns.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2016, 10:45:35 PM »
:icon_lol:

I don't, actually. But still, that was very funny.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2016, 11:25:49 PM »
Okay, I guess that requires a little explanation. Minor spoilers up to season 5 ahead:

- The entire setting is essentially a settler scenario in a rebooted North America. Zombie stories are usually about the alleged evils of consumerism; this theme is entirely absent from TWD. About the only concession is the country club in season 4, and Andrea nicking some trinket for her sister in season 1. Instead, much of the focus is on survival in a hostile environment, about farming and hunting. The ruins of civilization provide the backdrop, but are rarely necessary for the story.

- TWD is about "common people". None of them would in any way be special in our world. Rick is a deputy, Darryl a hillbilly, Carol a housewife, Hershel a doctor-turned-farmer, and it goes on. Andrea is one of the few to even have a college degree. The show is about ordinary people doing extraordinary things, which I consider to be a very American trope. Compare and contrast this with GoT, where almost everybody is a noble (and the show suffers from that in my opinion).

- Much emphasis (maybe too much) is put on the importance of families - a notion that I think is more present in the conservative parts of the US than in Europe. To the show's credit, there's no homophobia associated with this.

- If you feel like it, you can make out a strong anti-government theme in the show. Government agents are at best well-meaning but ineffectual (Dr. Jenner, the National Guard) or far less competent than the "free" survivors (Alexandria) or plain evil (most of the Atlanta police department, or what's left of it). Is it an accident that the most prominent villain in the show fancies himself to be "the Governor"? Probably not.

I could probably go on if I thought some more but that's what comes to my mind for the moment.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2016, 01:04:08 AM »
FWIW, my wife and I both enjoyed all of Strange & Norrell.

We don't have cable, so it's usually Netflix or DVDs. Since the release of the Adventure Time Season 6 DVD set was conveniently the same week as our anniversary, my wife bought it for me. So we're binging on that now.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2016, 02:47:53 AM »
I also liked Strange and Norrell. Was very different from what I expected, generally in a good way.

For a lighter, kill some time show I've been watching Forged in Fire on this history channel. It's like master chef, but instead of making food they have to blacksmith a knife or sword.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2016, 03:07:43 AM »
I also still have the Dwarvenaut documentary on my list.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2016, 03:21:09 AM »
Strange and Norrell was excellent.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2016, 08:01:46 AM »
Walking Dead - Great Comic Series (one of the best in my opinion) Great Television Series as well.  You won't be disappointed.

I've read the comics many years ago and really, really liked them. I actually might give this show a try. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2016, 04:25:34 AM »
A Stranger Things Christmas

https://youtu.be/5XPpm-igsRE

One of my new Favorite Things on the Internets

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2016, 05:56:26 PM »

I'm sure that others with young children can sympathize, but most of the TV I see anymore are children's shows & movies. (I have a five year old daughter.) So I've become an expert children's television critic. I've even thought of starting a web site or blog dedicated to a dual critique format, addressing both the quality & appropriateness of a show for young children, and then also addressing how watchable it is for parents. Because there are some shows that really make me want to scratch my eyes from their sockets. Maybe I should just start a new post here...?  :-D

At any rate, our latest show (though it's not new) is Zig and Sharko, and I think my wife and I like it almost as much as our daughter. It's about a hyena (Zig) stranded on a tropical island. He's hungry, so he's obsessed with catching and eating a mermaid (Mariana) who lives off the coast of the island. The mermaid's boyfriend is a huge shark (Sharko.) Zig has a friend on the island, a crab named Bernie. There's no real speaking, just emotive noises (screams, grunts, laughs.)

I can see where it's drawn some of its inspiration from both Roadrunner cartoons, and Ren & Stimpy. (Although the latter has set the tone for a lot of the animation that's come out since.) Probably the most violent show we let her watch (though Teen Titans GO! probably comes close :wink: .) But as my wife and I have discussed, we both watched Loony Toons, Tom & Jerry, etc. when we were kids, and most of it happens off screen in Zig & Sharko.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2016, 03:32:59 AM »
Binging on Paranoid.  A netflix series. Really enjoying it. Finished the 'Midnight Diner' last week. A Japanese Netflix series that was quaint and enjoyable.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2016, 11:32:41 PM »
Haven't read the thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned - but I stumbled upon The Expanse by accident, and it's pretty damn good IMO.
They do a great job world-building, the technology seems plausible from what I've seen and the plot and characters are interesting.

Looking forward to season two, and I just ordered "Leviathan wakes", the first of the books the series is based on.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:07:19 AM by Aldaris »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2016, 01:57:09 AM »
I got really into Expanse when it came out. I cheated and read ahead about the book, and some of the later stuff looks even more awesome.

I liked the murder mystery kind of direction on top of a sci fi story. The characters where good and the world building of the Belters was real fun.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2016, 02:12:00 AM »
It's on my "to watch" list but not started yet
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2016, 02:53:52 AM »
Starting to watch 'the crown'.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2016, 03:44:23 AM »
Watched the crown. Really liked it. Binged right thru.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2016, 03:53:43 AM »
Same here. Room mate started watching it and we all ended up binging it over about two days. Thought it was pretty good. Would have liked them to show more pre coronation stuff but otherwise good.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2016, 03:55:46 AM »
John lithgow as Churchill was just fantastic. Great character. 
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2016, 12:57:08 PM »
Yeah, it is actually pretty good to see Phillip from another lense.

Almost finished Luke Cage.

*yawn*

Was nowhere near as good as Jessica Jones.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2016, 10:38:57 AM »
Anyone seen westworld? Stunning visuals but I got a little lost towards the middle of the season with all of the various threads and dispersion through time; I think i will finish out the season but I'm not sure how much milage there is in it going forward. Bit too much thinking for me after a day at work.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »

*yawn*

Thanks for the warning! Luke was fine in Jessica Jones, but I can't see how he'd carry his own series. Especially without a villain like David Tennant.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2016, 03:50:24 AM »

*yawn*

Thanks for the warning! Luke was fine in Jessica Jones, but I can't see how he'd carry his own series. Especially without a villain like David Tennant.

No probs.
The baddie changes half way through anyway. Second episode, to me, i started to lose empathy for why luke was doing what he was doing anyway. It really is pretty boring, and could have been shortened into a 2 hr netflix movie instead. It just gets drawn out and drawn out. Really not a fan. Watching it felt like more of a chore. Jessica Jones we couldn't wait to see what happened. Luke Jones, we are finishing in the background each night while doing other things, because we were hoping it would get better. It didn't.